HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poti's run with Rangers over

Old
07-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Rattray

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I think you guys are too quick to be happy that Poti's gone. I think he really started to come into his own last year. Maybe not offensively but his overall game improved alot. He was a solid defenseman last year and even played a little tougher getting in opponents faces sometimes to stick up for his teammates. I really like the way he played. I think he never got going offensively last year but you can see its there with his rushes up the ice, good slap shot and passing ability. Poti didnt shoot enough it seemed at times and passed the puck off at times where he had the shot. But thing I like best about his improved play was that he didnt get caught up ice much if at all. He picked his spots well when he wanted to join the rush, always being able to recover and get back for a counter attack. Sure he wasnt producing for the money he was getting but he certainely did a good job. If Poti came back I wouldnt be upset. Rather see Rozsival traded and Staal get the chance to take the spot. If he doesnt do good in camp give the spot to Pock.
Great post. I'm not a Rangers fan at all but I loved tuning into Jagr's games last year. I thought Poti had made durastic steps defensively this past year. Because of this, his offense struggled at times. He's only 29 years old and just entering his prime years as a player.

If he takes the D he learned last year and brings back his old offensive self (48 pts), he could turn into a decent dman.

You Ranger fans are too hard on your players. Nobody's going to break out when you have all of MSG yelling everytime he touhces the puck. Its no wonder you havnt won squat in years. Give the guy a break.

Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Jim Ramsay

Thank God he is gone. The man can't make a pass out of the defensive zone and has the uncanny ability to miss the net with every shot. I think he might be decent if he cut about a foot or so off of the top of his stick, It was only good for a poke check every game.

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattray View Post
Great post. I'm not a Rangers fan at all but I loved tuning into Jagr's games last year. I thought Poti had made durastic steps defensively this past year. Because of this, his offense struggled at times. He's only 29 years old and just entering his prime years as a player.
He might be entering his prime but he is what he is. He defense might have improved but he is hardly a decent defensive player. Improving from where he was really isn't saying much. And this biggest problem he has is heart and desire and willingness to do the dirty work in his own zone. And that is just not a muturity issue.

Quote:
If he takes the D he learned last year and brings back his old offensive self (48 pts), he could turn into a decent dman.
Againl, he went from being an atrocious defensive player to being a barely serviceable defensive player. And the idea of him providing offense is really more of a myth than anything in reality. He averages about 30 points a season that is not offensive defenseman numbers. Not only that, but his point totals have gone down each season since he had 48 points.

Quote:
You Ranger fans are too hard on your players. Nobody's going to break out when you have all of MSG yelling everytime he touhces the puck. Its no wonder you havnt won squat in years. Give the guy a break.
Nope. All we ask is a player to play hard and make a true effort shift after shift. And I don't think that is too much to ask.

And if Pens fans are so supportive, why is it that you "haven't won squat" (besides draft lotteries) in a longer time than the Rangers?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-08-2006 at 06:39 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Fletch

NY Fans expect results from its players...

very often, the players aren't very good, but at the very least you hope for an honest effort. It's not a lot to ask for, and when it doesn't happen, the fans in NY let 'em hear it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:32 PM
The New Originals

Which is exactly why a player like Jed Ortmeyer, despite not having much offensive ability, is a fan favorite at the Garden.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I'm sure he'll play well 8 times next year
Of course.

I am really glad he's gone. Not that I had anything against him personally, I just didn't want him on the team anymore lol.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:28 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Here's the headline from MSG Network:

Poti in the right direction

Is that a play on words?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
it's unlikely but not impossible for Poti to have sort of renaissance. after all he'll have the boot of Ted Nolan up his @$$ all season and that man can probably get more out of Poti than Renney ever did (not difficult consider what we got out of him). I'm personally disgusted with the bit about how interested he was in becoming an islander. maybe he was the one sabotaging US? something smells.
Renney got more out of Poti than anyone else ever had. He was almost compitent in his own zone, no offense but he wasn't our worst guy either. Well, he was in a 3 way tie for worst. I don't see what Nolan gets out of him that Renney didn't. Remember Renney sent his butt to the stands in the begining of the season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Some of the Isles fans are happy....they have no idea what they just got (one of them is excited about the offense he is going to bring.....hes in for quite the shock)
Key word being "some".

Potvins Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:08 PM
zacn

You just have to love this quote:

Quote:
"From the beginning of free agency, I told my agent that I wanted to see if something could be worked out with the Islanders," said Poti, a U.S. Olympian in 2002. "The opportunity to be one of the veterans on such a talented young team is something I wanted."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2513606

Forgive me if someone hasn't already pointed this out but didn't he have that chance on the rangers? And for a team with a lot more good quality youth? Sounds more like he wanted to play in a place where other bad signings and trades would overshadow how bad he in fact is.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Edge

Did Tom Poti get better defensivly? Yes. But that doesn't mean he was good at it, it just means he wasn't as bad.

So what was the overall picture? A guy who was better defensivly (maybe average at best) and had become below average offensivly.

Sorry but at that price, I'll pass.

Tom Poti is still all about "ifs" to me.

If he was a leader

If he played with more heart and intensity

If he could be defensive consistently

If he used his body

If he didn't poke check

If he could combine the offense/defense

If the timing is right

If he has the stay at home partner

To me that is just too many if's for a player with a non-spectacular payoff. If I'm going to accept that many if's and alter my team to build around a guy's strengths and weaknesses there has to be a REALLY big payoff like Jagr.

Poti wants to be a leader than he better not run his mouth to the press when the coach uses him as an example. Mike Keenan did the same thing to a younger Mike Richter and Brian Leetch and they responded by becoming Ranger legends. Tom Poti responded by putting on his on-ice weepy face. That is what seperates Tom Poti from being a player who is boo'd vs. one who is beloved.

Simply put I just don't think he gets it or ever will. The guy would've been eaten alive by coaches like Bowman or Lemaire or Keenan. No thank you.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 11:38 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
There won't be too many Rangers fans sad to see someone else in the 16 sweater in October.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:00 AM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2513606

Forgive me if someone hasn't already pointed this out but didn't he have that chance on the rangers? And for a team with a lot more good quality youth? Sounds more like he wanted to play in a place where other bad signings and trades would overshadow how bad he in fact is.
LOL...Purse Boy played with zero heart and subpar effort. Nothing will change for him....he will still get booed as a visiting player, just like he did as a Ranger. The good news fir him is that the Mausoleum is usually half empty, so there will only be 9,000 people booing him as he swings his purse at passing forwards.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote