HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 06:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's a hell of a strawman.
haha, if anything, looks like we need more midgets as they're the only one willing to fight

Old
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
once every two or three years is hardly "everyone" and "all the time".

like I said, exageration.
There have been many cheapshots against Montreal over the years. More than I find acceptable. Teams take liberties against us because they can, and it happens too much.

Again, Gallagher, Gionta, and Gorges were all forced to drop the gloves. Bourque was KO'd in one punch. Our only real fighter, Prust, did not fare well. Boullion, Moen, Armstrong, the only other guys who can fight, did not.

Not acceptable. Even once is too much.

Look at the teams that won the cup most recently. Would something like this EVER happen to them?

waffledave
Old
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
There have been many cheapshots against Montreal over the years. More than I find acceptable. Teams take liberties against us because they can, and it happens too much.

Again, Gallagher, Gionta, and Gorges were all forced to drop the gloves. Bourque was KO'd in one punch. Our only real fighter, Prust, did not fare well. Boullion, Moen, Armstrong, the only other guys who can fight, did not.

Look at the teams that won the cup most recently. Would something like this EVER happen to them?
Yeah! Boston has never been cheapshotted!

Old
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Hugo Sham

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...733/story.html

Old
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Yeah! Boston has never been cheapshotted!
In your opinion, does Boston get abused as badly or as often as Montreal does?

Old
02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

chances are that their equivalent to Moen and co would have done something...

yet (maybe not by you) it's something hardly discussed

Old
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
In your opinion, does Boston get abused as badly or as often as Montreal does?
Your post had a big capslocked 'EVER' in it. So, are we discussing the existence of these situations or the tendency? Being more clear in your posts would do a lot of good towards making this conversation a bit healthier.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
TheWhiteIdea

Should claim Kassian no question.

And for the last time Armstrong can not fight, at all.

He has 11 NHL fights in 7 years. He is 1-9-1 in those fights, and in those 9 losses he got pummeled most of the time.

He is worthless as a fighter. Rene Bourque is a better fighter than Armstrong.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Your post had a big capslocked 'EVER' in it. So, are we discussing the existence of these situations or the tendency? Being more clear in your posts would do a lot of good towards making this conversation a bit healthier.
I struggle to find a time Boston has been cheapshotted since Savard. And they won a cup since then.

As long as this type of thing happens we won't be winning any cups anytime soon.

And by the way, what happened against Toronto would NEVER happen to Boston. I maintain that.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I struggle to find a time Boston has been cheapshotted since Savard. And they won a cup since then.

As long as this type of thing happens we won't be winning any cups anytime soon.

And by the way, what happened against Toronto would NEVER happen to Boston. I maintain that.

Does this count as a "cheap shot" ?

I don't think so. Closest I can find. It's funny, though. Savard cries at the end of it like he always does. Sucks with his injury and all, but without him Boston is a little less whiny.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Bergeron, Savard, Horton all 3 on the receiving end of cheap/borderline hits, all 3 concussed... the Habs had huuuu...

Old
02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Does this count as a "cheap shot" ?

I don't think so. Closest I can find. It's funny, though. Savard cries at the end of it like he always does. Sucks with his injury and all, but without him Boston is a little less whiny.
Cheapshot or not, look at the players' reaction out there. This is what should happen whenever one of our players get cheapshotted.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Would like to see bigger, tougher 5th and 6th defencemen. Flukey bounce off Diaz's skate for the tying goal in Tampa, but he really did seem to have his hands full with 5'8" Martin St. Louis.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Schwang

When was the last time this team had a heavy weight enforcer who made a difference? Or even a contribution? The 80's? The 70's? You have to be able to play the game, not just fight.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Bergeron, Savard, Horton all 3 on the receiving end of cheap/borderline hits, all 3 concussed... the Habs had huuuu...
Uh, let me remember, ok?

- Pacioretty almost got his neck broken by Chara.
- Price got ran over and abused by Lucic and other players several times.
- Pyatt/Spacek back in the days got punched when they were down by Boychuk and Campbell.
- Orr going after Plekanec's knee
- Neil going after Galchenyuk after the game is over
- Kostka, a 6'2 and 215 pounder, fights Gallagher, a 20 years old kid that's 5'9 and barely 180.
- Markov got ran over several times, mainly by Grabovski and Matt Cooke.

And I'm not even talking at all the abuse Subban has taken ever since he started playing against Montreal, Malone acts towards Emelin last year, and all the player who started chirping at the Habs bench, laughing of their sorry *****, because nobody was going to do anything, no matter what happened.

Open your eyes. This team had no respect from anyone for way too long.

100% agree with waffledave. It's shocking how many Habs fans like seeing their team taking abuse and being the laughing stock of the league.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Shaby23

Name me one ****ing team who's doing well with a heavy weight who can't ****ing play hockey.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Uh, let me remember, ok?

- Pacioretty almost got his neck broken by Chara.
- Price got ran over and abused by Lucic and other players several times.
- Pyatt/Spacek back in the days got punched when they were down by Boychuk and Campbell.
- Orr going after Plekanec's knee
- Neil going after Galchenyuk after the game is over
- Kostka, a 6'2 and 215 pounder, fights Gallagher, a 20 years old kid that's 5'9 and barely 180.
- Markov got ran over several times, mainly by Grabovski and Matt Cooke.

And I'm not even talking at all the abuse Subban has taken ever since he started playing against Montreal, Malone acts towards Emelin last year, and all the player who started chirping at the Habs bench, laughing of their sorry *****, because nobody was going to do anything, no matter what happened.

Open your eyes. This team had no respect from anyone for way too long.
This may rock your world but players on every team get run and hurt by hits, I can name you 4-5 instances for Boston and any other NHL team.

Not saying i wouldn't mind a 23rd player being a 250lbs ass kicker for about 1/3 or 1/4 of games...but it's not going to turn the opposition into lambs.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Name me one ****ing team who's doing well with a heavy weight who can't ****ing play hockey.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
I like the "****ing" you put here and there. Really adds a lot of credibility to your post.

As for teams doing well with a HW, choose your poison. There are at least 11-12 teams out there just in the Eastern Conference that have one of those.

Pittsburgh has Engelland
Washington has Erskine
Philadelphia has Shelley
Florida has Parros
Carolina has Westgarth
NJ has Barch, had Janssen at some point this year.

Just to name a few. I'd say NJ, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia could teach us a thing or two about having success in this league.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
When was the last time this team had a heavy weight enforcer who made a difference? Or even a contribution? The 80's? The 70's? You have to be able to play the game, not just fight.
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Carolina has Kevin Westgarth
New Jersey has Cam Janssen. He's played 3 games.
Toronto has Colton Orr and Fraser McLaren (I guess he's one ???)
Anaheim has Staubitz and PLLL though triple L doesn't play I don't think.
Chicago - Brandon Bollig ?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Bergeron by Jones.

Subban almost took Marchand's head off.

I saw Thomas get run over a few times the last 2 years.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This may rock your world but players on every team get run and hurt by hits, I can name you 4-5 instances for Boston and any other NHL team.

Not saying i wouldn't mind a 23rd player being a 250lbs ass kicker for about 1/3 or 1/4 of games...but it's not going to turn the opposition into lambs.
Boston never gets the kind of disrespect our team gets.

Have you already seen Seguin drop the gloves? Or anybody trying to take Krejci's knee out? Have you already seen anybody challenging the whole Boston bench?

An HW enforcer isn't the solution to every problem we have on that aspect, but it sure as hell helps to have one out there to keep guys like Orr or McLaren in check. And you better believe me when I tell you Buffalo will try something dirty in the next 3 games, after having faced them 5 times within half a season.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bergeron by Jones.

Subban almost took Marchand's head off.

I saw Thomas get run over a few times the last 2 years.
Bergeron by Jones was in October 2007. It's in a whole different era, with a very different Boston team than the one we see now.

Subban's check on Marchand was completely legal. Has nothing to do with a cheap shot. And believe it or not, Subban gets abused pretty damn often by this Boston team.

As for Thomas, while he got ran over, very often a player would not try it a second time after getting put back in place by Boston's tough guys.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Boston never gets the kind of disrespect our team gets.

Have you already seen Seguin drop the gloves? Or anybody trying to take Krejci's knee out? Have you already seen anybody challenging the whole Boston bench?

An HW enforcer isn't the solution to every problem we have on that aspect, but it sure as hell helps to have one out there to keep guys like Orr or McLaren in check. And you better believe me when I tell you Buffalo will try something dirty in the next 3 games, after having faced them 5 times within half a season.
I saw Pouliot punch out Krejci.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I saw Pouliot punch out Krejci.
I saw Krejci actually running at Pouliot and calling for a fight. Nothing to do with Kostka who dropped the gloves first.

Closed Thread