Notices

Why do YOU think the Wild cannot score

Old
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
remember when we drafted/traded/signed for a specific attribute we lacked and how that lead to success...size it was, last time.

weren't we really speedy at the beginning?
Yeah, I loved that Riser interview after the Gillies draft pick.

"Ah, I watched the Anaheim playoffs series where we got physically pounded. [So I spent a 1st and a 3rd round pick to draft a big project forward who even in best-case scenario wouldn't be NHL-ready for 5 more years. And then rush the guy into the NHL to try to cover up my stupidity."

I could have ran the Wild better than that guy.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
heheh but man, if you had to poll attitudes at the time everyone was saying "we need to get bigger!"

just that no one liked the way he did it (with reason, of course). Follow popular opinion and fail. I hope Fletcher doesn't put even a second of thought into appeasing the masses here.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Because we are slow and cant gain the o-zone. cullen yesterday multiple times skated up to the red line and then coasted, trying to gain the zone. keep skating for crying out loud

our power play strategy sucks. We need to work it down low more, and make the back door pass an option. we need to put setoguchi or a right handed shot on the opposite of parise so they can pass it down low to each other and one-time the puck. parise trying to jam it in wont work, and point shots are low percentage shots, low percentage in the fact of going in and let alone getting to the net. we get our point shots blocked a ton on power plays

um yeah thats just the beginning

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think someone should create a main page thread on it so it can devolve into bickering about Parise and Suter's contracts!

Old
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

This team is not that slow. They look slow when they're standing around and letting things happen on the ice, but when they're trying they hold their own just fine.

The biggest problem is the lack of consistency and decision making does not seem to be on the same page.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
saywut

There's a few different reasons why we cannot score. We have been getting enough opportunities, just some players aren't ready to finish(Coyle in particular) and others aren't finishing. Speed is an issue with this team, but that's not necessarily why I'd say we're not scoring. Puck management/decision making is a much bigger problem. Too often do we fail to get the puck in a position to actually fore-check, too often do we get hemmed in our own zone and just chip to center, not allowing the D to change and stay fresh. Not enough puck support in many situations as well. Like Yeo said awhile ago, these players are giving eachother their problems.

We're far too careless with the puck and its the big reason why people are questioning Yeo as a coach. Now, every coach has an expiry date but if the players want to quit on another player's coach with no previous experience, give them a damn hothead with experience. Show them what its like playing for someone not afraid to bench them or call them out to the media.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

I don't believe in excuses, but it does need to be acknowledged that this team has had roughly 40% turnover since the end of last year. That's a hell of a lot and is going to have an affect.

This is a team sport, they need ot learn how to play as a team well in order to do well. So far we just have a number of good individuals.

To deny that this team has a fair number of good players is also ridiculous.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Gremlins.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

okay, why can't edmonton score. they're fast. and skilled.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Anyone mention the X being built on an ancient Indian burial ground?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Anyone mention the X being built on an ancient Indian burial ground?
no, i think it's on an ancient french immigrant burial ground though. i'm sure that can't be good.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
no, i think it's on an ancient french immigrant burial ground though. i'm sure that can't be good.
Also, Lady Gaga just did a concert there. That can't be good either.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

To be honest, I think it's partly the mentality of the Wild players. A lot of guys that we drafted before Fletcher were character guys including our first rounders. When your leader isn't shooting and the team develops a pass happy system, it's hard to break. We had this issue last year and we'll probably have it next year until the players start to learn to shoot. It worked out well for Bouchard when he started shooting more.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
NHLPodium

vCash: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We aren't a high skilled team.
We aren't a fast team.
We aren't a cycle team.
We aren't a forechecking, Ozone turnover team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We aren't a good team.

That's basically what I gathered.

NHLPodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Minny91

I'd like to see more Heater one-timers as well as more shots from the point from Suter, he seems to have a very pass-first mentality when we could have Zach slamming rebounds home down low in the crease

Minny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

We can't score goals but we're hard to play against.....LOL

Think you all pretty much summed it up. IMO this is a skilled team being utilized wrong and that's all on the coach. They focus too much on defense and when they get possession they don't know what to do with it. If the whole team is in a slump it's not the players. The coach needs to be fired before the season is lost. I don't want Fletch making a desperation trade that we get burned on.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

This team needs to move their feet! look what happened when it became a focus for Seto and Granlund - that second line is really starting to come together. If we start attacking the neutral zone with speed it should force the D to back up quicker and give us more time and space. That goes double for the PP, the entire unit is stationary. Its ineffective and brutal to watch.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

They don't play with any grit. It's an attitude thing that is partially rooted in the team culture. The Minnesota nice stuff should end when they walk on the ice.

I cannot understand why with the players they have they don't crash the crease more often. The players look like they are afraid to take the punishment required to score goals in front of the net. If they are so afraid then pass out the flak jackets like the QBs wear in the NFL.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Sportsfan1

As crazy as it sounds I think we just need a bit more patience and the goals WILL come. I truly believe it with this team, they have the talent and they are just now starting to figure it all out. I believe now the players are getting settled, if they stay mentally strong the pucks will go in and soon.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:53 AM
bear1

vCash: 363
Move the team to Seattle and things will be just fine.

bear1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Move the team to Seattle and things will be just fine.
Pretty sure the 'Yotes have dibs on Seattle, maybe we could try Kansas City

Phant03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
forthewild

we don't score because we don't get sustained pressure and our goalies don't play for other teams to let in the soft 40 foot shots in...
if you look at the NHL teams that score are able to get 2nd and 3rd chances, wild don't get those, and until then we won't score much.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:07 AM
DANOZ28

the players as a group arent playing with the mentality "we can win". mgmt needs to give everyone a t-shirt with that slogan and they must wear at all times until this funk is broken. i dont always agree with mgmt decisions on draft choices or trade deadline choices however no nhl mgmt is perfect or they'ed win the cup ever year. i think CF has made some good progress and now its on the players to step up and get it done. we have 2 players capable of 30G, 5 of our top six are capable of 20G that should be enough offensive firepower to at least compete every game.

DANOZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
the players as a group arent playing with the mentality "we can win". mgmt needs to give everyone a t-shirt with that slogan and they must wear at all times until this funk is broken. i dont always agree with mgmt decisions on draft choices or trade deadline choices however no nhl mgmt is perfect or they'ed win the cup ever year. i think CF has made some good progress and now its on the players to step up and get it done. we have 2 players capable of 30G, 5 of our top six are capable of 20G that should be enough offensive firepower to at least compete every game.
This is actually true...it's been a while since I have thought of it. Koivu, Parise, Heatley, and Setoguchi (take a step back) in all honesty should be scoring a decent amount of goals. We have two guys who have shown to be able to step up and score in Clutter and Brodziak. All, except Parise, have been less than pleasing. I want to see driving to the net, and good passing. Heatley has over HALF the shots Parise has. SET HIM UP ON THE PP. We don't have anyone besides Brodin that will shoot on the PP from up top...get Heater in position to blast at the net if not for any other reason than to pepper the goalie with hard shots to give up rebounds.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:19 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
I completely agree.

There is too much talent to not score 2-4 a night. This 1 goal bs will get worked through by the players we currently have.

Our d has been better than last year as well, and I think it's safe to assume they will continue to get better as well. I might be wrong, but I think the second half of this season this team is going to start clicking.

We see it in spurts, they just cannot maintain it yet. Let's be honest, we didn't score enough, but we did keep Vancouver hemmed into their own zone almost the entire third period the other day. This is a team that has always skated circles around us, so that's something.