HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn

Old
07-08-2006, 01:16 PM
kostitsyn1489

vCash: 500
He starts slowly with Locke if I remember but after his call he played with Pouliot and Wincheser and this line was awesome. They score 1 or 2 all night for about 10 games in a row and the Bulldogs win almost all these games they really take the teams on their shoulders.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
PK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Apart from Gionta you couldn't be more off.
Cheechoo didn't shoot the lights out in the AHL, Prospal had one good season (his 4th) and Boyes has some good seasons, but never dominted the league, which is what I was responding to. You just have to take a look at recent years (besides 2004-2005 because of the lockout) to see that success in the AHL does not necessarily translate into NHL success.

PK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:34 PM
GoHabsGO252006

There are a lot of players who don't dominate the AHL because of teh lack of talent at that level but once in the NHL they fit right in because they cna play well with other good players. i believe Kosty is one of those that will break out playing with teh best players in teh world.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Andrei Kostitsyn does not lack drive and hockey sense, he doesnt lack passing skills nor does he lack size or skating. All he is lacking is an NHL chance and he is going to get that this year, but i think the habs should bring in another veteran like Shanahan.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 02:25 PM
SOLR

AHL is not for everyone, and a lot of Europeens have crap AHL stats and become good to great NHL players. Beside, Kost did more PPG than higgins on his last full AHL season. That was(for higgins) without call ups, with pleckanec and with the same stable line all year.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 02:36 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
AHL is not for everyone, and a lot of Europeens have crap AHL stats and become good to great NHL players. Beside, Kost did more PPG than higgins on his last full AHL season. That was(for higgins) without call ups, with pleckanec and with the same stable line all year.
Svatos is a good example of that.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:08 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Svatos is a good example of that.
Svatos is an exception. Maybe Kost will be another, but chances are that won't be the case.

He can't be considered as a top prospect anymore...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
kostitsyn1489

AHL is totally diferent then NHL.

A player is really good in eruope won't at 100 sure be a good NHL player.
A good NHL player in NHL won't be at 100% sure be a good europe league player.

You can be good somewhere with some guys but you won't be as good as you were in all other league. Different rule different style of play different teamate etc.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
Contrary to the majority of Habs fans, I don't think Kostitsyn will ever be an impact player for Montreal. He's got tools, for sure, but his drive and hockey sense (and vision) are seriously lacking. He has yet to dominate in the AHL.

He reminds me a lot of Marcel Hossa.
Really? I can see where you are coming from on the 'drive' issue, in a way. He doesn't always play as hard as he can, but its not like he rarely ever does. When he is determined to do something on the ice, most of the time, it gets done. Whether that is taking the puck to the net, forechecking, bodychecking, whatever, he is very capable. The important thing for him is to find a way to be motivated more often and i think playing in the NHL is going to give him that drive.

As for this lack of vision/hockey sense theory, I can only assume the only time you've seen him play was when he was having a bad game. The guy gets into good shooting positions, he can make some absolutely killer passes. Not just killer in the sense of a pass that looks good, but passes that can split apart the opposition and give a scoring chance to a teammate, passes that open teams up and worry them. And if he lacks hockey sense and vision, then I dont see why Lever would have used him on the point of the PP last season. Most occassions I saw him last year (about half the Dogs games) he rarely put a foot wrong in regards to his defensive responsibilities when playing the point. When the puck was lost, he didn't charge at the guy with the puck, he didn't leave his feet to try and knock the puck away (which is the wrong thing to do, Mr Dagenais), he played responsibly and considered what needed to be done for the team. If he is seriously lacking hockey sense, there is no way Lever tells the guy to man the point on the PP and try and QB it, both in regards to defensive and attacking obligations.

You want to see how good Kostitsyns hockey sense and vision are? Watch him in the NHL where he has quality players making smart moves around him, you'll see what i mean. He recognises someone getting to a good position and he can put the puck on their stick, not just somewhere near them.

What Andrei does sometimes do is try to be too fancy with the puck (not as much as he used to though), but dont mistake that with lack of ability or vision/hockey sense. He is a creative player, it is in his nature to try and make things happen where other players make not be able to create something. You have to allow creative players the chance to try and be creative, even if that means the chance of making a mistake. If you dont allow them that chance, you are basically saying you only want them to do the simple things, play no risk hockey, which means the team would have to take what chances present themselves as they might not get many during the course of the game. You want a guy like AK to try and makes things happen because it is the whole point of having a player like him on your team. You want someone steady to just work hard and not make mistakes and not be a threat? Sign Jason Ward. Very useful player, very good when used correctly. But he is not a major threat, he doesn't worry the opposition or force them to play differently when he is on the ice.

That you don't think he will ever be an impact player or that he reminds you of Marcel Hossa, I won't argue. That is your opinion. But as far as some of your other statements, I've seen him play in a manner which dismisses those statements. And given further opportunities to develop and play alongside a better quality of players, I think he can show a lot of people just what he is capable of.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:24 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Svatos is an exception. Maybe Kost will be another, but chances are that won't be the case.

Svatos is not an exception. Europeens traditionaly performs better in the NHL than in the AHL. Why? Because they dont fit into the grind game of the AHL. The NHL got far less grind.

He cant be considered a top prospect after 30 min(28 min in 3 of the 12 games lol) of playtime in the NHL? Give me a break. Kostitsyn was ready last year, but he was sent down in Hamilton for asset management purposes, not merit.(or lack off) The 2 last game he played for the habs, he looked alone on the ice, thats how dominating he was. Too bad the rest of the team was sleeping during those games.

Last edited by SOLR: 07-08-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old
07-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Rahan

Quote:

What the hell? Why not?

Last time I checked he was second in points and fourth in goals scored on the Bulldogs last year, and he showed that he has all the tools. He had 2 goals and one assist in 12 games with Montreal while playing 3-5 minutes a game if at all, and if you would've watched those games I'm sure you would've been as impressed as I was with him.

Cut the pessimistic crap, there's no reason at all he can't be considered a top prospect. He didn't destroy the AHL? That doesn't worry me at all. Kirby Law dominated the AHL last year and that doesn't make him an automatic NHL all-star. Andrei still put up good stats and played good most of the games, and that made me confident he's gonna be a good player for us.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:26 PM
wholeshow*

excellent post qui gon

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:27 PM
madbox

Kostitsyn looked very good AND comfortable in the little time he actually got to touch the ice when up with the Habs. Someone mentioned that assist on Souray's goal, excellent example of calmness and awareness with the puck.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Heske_44

A Montreal scout came into my work and I was helping him out with a few things.

AK and Perez came up in discussion in a rookie comparison and I was basically told the following...

AK - Ceiling is the limit, understands the game as of an elite player, possesses unbelievable skills that could never be teached. AK has the possibility to be a first line player with ease. His shot, stick handling, passing and skating were all easily above average..... So I then asked, who is he comparable to, and what is stopping him?? He smiled and replied, the only thing stopping him is himself, his work ethic is terrible right now and he hasn't adjusted to the NA style of play and is trying to do too much by himself. He said he is improving on the game and his work ethic has gotten better but he is still far off from really reaching his potential. He said he is expecting him to top out around a steady second liner with where he expects his work ethic and adapting to the game to platuea. Actually said Sergei Kostitsyn has more potential and a better work ethic...

Perez - Average skills, decent shot, average passing and checking. Apparantly, Perez is the exact opposite of AK, unbelievable work ethic and in excellent condition. Real gritty player that understands beyond his years what the league is about and his contibutions needed to be successful in the league. He said that while Ak has a much higher ceiling than Perez, he expects Perez to end up the better of the two based on work ethic and understanding of the NA game.

Though it was interesting to hear straight from the source...

I love AK and want him to become the elite player there is all this talk about.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:43 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
What the hell? Why not?

Last time I checked he was second in points and fourth in goals scored on the Bulldogs last year, and he showed that he has all the tools. He had 2 goals and one assist in 12 games with Montreal while playing 3-5 minutes a game if at all, and if you would've watched those games I'm sure you would've been as impressed as I was with him.

Cut the pessimistic crap, there's no reason at all he can't be considered a top prospect. He didn't destroy the AHL? That doesn't worry me at all. Kirby Law dominated the AHL last year and that doesn't make him an automatic NHL all-star. Andrei still put up good stats and played good most of the games, and that made me confident he's gonna be a good player for us.
That depends on your definition of a "top prospect". But he's certainly not in the league top 30 top prospects...

...and he certainly has more chances of being a bust than becoming a 1st line player.

The guy is still really interesting. He could become big for us. But the people here tend to think he's a surefire future star. And that's way optimistic crap to me....

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

qui gon dave summed it up well. The problems I see with Kostitsyn is that he can take shifts off, without the puck he tends to look lost or uncomfortable, his shot needs much better accuracy, he often tries to do too much (perhaps he watches Kovalev, who does this often) where he'll skate through one or two guys but he'll keep going only to lose the puck.

I don't care for him dominating. Jason Ward was one of the more dominate forwards in the AHL a few years back. Kostitsyn was still one of the youngest players on the Bulldogs (youngest player I believe was 3 months younger) He's made a lot of progress imo and while I can't say if he's ready for NHL duty full time, I expect him to see more time with the Habs this year for sure.

Like Dave says his vision is actually underrated. He can make some really great passes, that seem to catch his own players off guard. One thing I have noticed from others pointing it out is that sometimes his balance isn't that good. I've seen him take a big hit and not really move but other times I've seen him take a strong bump and he's laying on the ice. Not really sure what the problem is there but hopefully it's something he works on. I also hope to see Carbo and Muller work with him when he doesn't have the puck, get to him to stop trying to go through 3-4 people and to actually shoot more but on net.

I am concerned about his drive/desire to get involved in the play but think it's more of a consistency issue or perhaps conditioning issue.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Good in the AHL isn't a garanteed succes in the NHL and vice versa. Plekanec was a lot better than Higgins in AHL offensively but Higgins his better than plekanec in the nhl.
Plekanec hasnt had same chances to play with Koivu as Higgins (and Perezhogin) had, lost part of the season and still got decent 29 points in 67 games - which is not that far from Higgins 38 points in 80 games. Higgins may have an edge in goalscoring, but Pleks has his own strong points which might make him even more valuable down the road.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:06 PM
JimmyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post
Are you that robot guy from grandmas' boy?
Awesome

JimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:29 PM
kernkraft

For those using the "not enough points in the AHL" argument: remember the top-scoring AHL player named Jason Ward?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:42 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post
Are you that robot guy from grandmas' boy?
Didnt watch that movie, sorry.

Old
07-08-2006, 08:03 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

You take an example and call it an exception, and then go on to take the false assumption as evidence. lol And you do it with such confidence.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I don't understand how people think he's ready for the show. He hasn't even solved AHL goaltending. How exactly is a guy who has trouble scoring in the AHL ready for top line duty in the NHL? He may have the skills, but this guy has a lot to learn about what it takes to be an NHL player.

if the habs sign shanny or any other forward on the market/trade, kost will have a tough time finding a spot on this squad

as of right now, there is an opening and as long as kost does not have a horrendous camp, I think its his spot to lose. Really, who else on the current farm roster is more of a threat to take it away from kost?

Whether he's ready for not, well, thats why they play the games. I do feel he will get a fair shot to strut his skills unlike last year if the habs remain status quo so there should be no complaints either way.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I don't understand how people think he's ready for the show. He hasn't even solved AHL goaltending. How exactly is a guy who has trouble scoring in the AHL ready for top line duty in the NHL? He may have the skills, but this guy has a lot to learn about what it takes to be an NHL player.
He scored on his forst shot in the NHL... is it enough? loll just joking

Well, it isn't only a question of ready in the AHL or NHL or whatever... it is only tat he has a tremendous talent, and if we want him to become the player he has the potential to be, we have to make him play... in the NHL, not in minors

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:12 PM
paddy

Here's my view of Kostitsyn:

After reading the negative reports about him in the AHL, I got to see him a couple of times in Hamilton and he didn't do anything to impress me. He kinda' looked bored... I actually thought he was closer to being a bust than anything else.

Then he got called up, and I saw him with the Habs with my slightly biased eyes... and the player I saw was nothing like the reports I had seen about him.

He actually showed very good vision, understood the game well, positioned himself well and knew how to get open, and made some crisp passes on the tape. The Kostitsyn I saw with the Habs didn't try to deke out 3-4 guys in a row and used his linemates pretty well. He showed strong balance and knew how to bump a guy away from the puck and then take it (I don't need him to crush a guy against the board, but for him to use his body for puck possession only). What impressed me the most about him was how easily he received bad passes and gained puck control in full stride.

My whole perception of AK changed, and he may have a split personality (or maybe I do). I'm hoping to see the good AK this year, and hopefully with the big club. If he gets top 6 duties, I think he can notch 20 goals in his rookie year. Then we finally won't hear about Jeff Carter anymore.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Here's my view of Kostitsyn:

After reading the negative reports about him in the AHL, I got to see him a couple of times in Hamilton and he didn't do anything to impress me. He kinda' looked bored... I actually thought he was closer to being a bust than anything else.

Then he got called up, and I saw him with the Habs with my slightly biased eyes... and the player I saw was nothing like the reports I had seen about him.

He actually showed very good vision, understood the game well, positioned himself well and knew how to get open, and made some crisp passes on the tape. The Kostitsyn I saw with the Habs didn't try to deke out 3-4 guys in a row and used his linemates pretty well. He showed strong balance and knew how to bump a guy away from the puck and then take it (I don't need him to crush a guy against the board, but for him to use his body for puck possession only). What impressed me the most about him was how easily he received bad passes and gained puck control in full stride.

My whole perception of AK changed, and he may have a split personality (or maybe I do). I'm hoping to see the good AK this year, and hopefully with the big club. If he gets top 6 duties, I think he can notch 20 goals in his rookie year. Then we finally won't hear about Jeff Carter anymore.
That sums up the way I feel.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote