HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens TV Ratings

Old
02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
I remember when I was in college and would go to the games in the mid-2000's. There were some "********" chants started that would rock the dome in Mellon. It was hilarious.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:24 PM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I remember when I was in college and would go to the games in the mid-2000's. There were some "********" chants started that would rock the dome in Mellon. It was hilarious.
Yeah, I recall hearing that i bit on TV.

My main point was not that executives dont know anything about hockey, so i guess I should restate. They are more focused on mingling and networking than watching the game. No one can argue that our fanbase has been the same the past couple years, and I don't think its attributed to the pens not giving the fans a reason to get loud, i think that its mostly an issue of the types of fans buying tickets now.

I may be way wrong, and I'm sure it will change during the playoffs, because even when we suck, consol/mellon is a loud place to play in.

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Apathetic rich fans let us spend to the cap...so...whatever.

The crowd at the Igloo in 2005-06 was a million times better than it is today, but the team is making quadruple the gate receipts.
As a long time season ticket holder....this. Infinity this.

Games were a whole lot more fun when the Pens were terrible bc the crowd was really into it. It was all die hards who actually wanted to be there to watch a hockey game. The team was ****** but the crowd cheered like crazy because they tried hard. These days a lot of the die hards have been priced out, there's a lot fewer student rushers there and people with money buy the tickets because it's the hot ticket in town. Without their money we're watching Crosby & Malkin suit up for different teams as soon as their ELCs expire. FWIW the acoustics were a whole lot better at Mellon too.

tl;dr: it is what it is.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTANGled58 View Post
In general, I feel the CEC is way quieter than the Igloo, I assume it's because of the reasons stated above, suits, but, I remember how the igloo would literally shake during the playoffs. Miss that
The Igloo shook because it was about to crumble into a rubble heap at any moment. Some of my favorite games were the ones when the lights would go out, things would catch on fire, etc.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:06 PM
LeTANGled58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
The Igloo shook because it was about to crumble into a rubble heap at any moment. Some of my favorite games were the ones when the lights would go out, things would catch on fire, etc.
I agree, I was at a game or two when the lights went out. But, the igloo just had something. Maybe it was the three levels at the endzones.

and to the poster who made about the comment about having nothing to cheer about, it is the playoffs, that should be enough.

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

My season tickets were up in F-15...there were nights where I literally thought it was going to collapse.

Mellon Arena had a ton of character...and by that I mean it was walking the line of being condemned.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
My season tickets were up in F-15...there were nights where I literally thought it was going to collapse.

Mellon Arena had a ton of character...and by that I mean it was walking the line of being condemned.
Wow, interesting coincidence. My first season tickets were in F-15 in 2005. Getting out after the game took forever. And yeah the whole section would move when people would get rowdy. We moved down after the first year. Those seats were so cheap back then. I think like $25 a game. Maybe even less.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Wow, interesting coincidence. My first season tickets were in F-15 in 2005. Getting out after the game took forever. And yeah the whole section would move when people would get rowdy. We moved down after the first year. Those seats were so cheap back then. I think like $25 a game. Maybe even less.
2005-06?

You mean we were in the same section and never realized it?

The season tickets for the full season plan was $15 a pop. Face value was either $25 or $30.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Honour Over Glory

I don't mind the not so loud crowd at Consol.

Who says the fans need to be loud and crazy, we get that atmosphere in the playoffs, the regular season...it just seems like people want to watch the game, like it's a movie. I can't be mad at that. When I watch hockey, I sit quietly and I watch it, I absorb it all in. Even when I am at the game, the only time I am loud is when everyone else around me is, you get caught up in it.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

if they want the place to be loud, start selling beer for $1

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
2005-06?

You mean we were in the same section and never realized it?

The season tickets for the full season plan was $15 a pop. Face value was either $25 or $30.
That was it, $15 a ticket.

The entire season for two tickets was like $450 or something like that. We were right in the center of the front row. I bought the tickets not because of Crosby but because the strike ended and thought that the team and league deserved support. You could get almost any seat you wanted then because the Crosby draft had not happened.

It was really odd getting into those seats. There was a single file little metal staircase up to the section. That was only one year though, right next to us was this 500 pound woman. How she got up the stairs I have no clue. It was incentive to move as she was nice enough and tried, but it just made it impossible to sit next to her. We moved down to the C-End zone area, another front row, and now we are in section 105, end they shoot twice, on the aisle (which is wonderful, so much extra room) in row L. To me the best seats in the house. Not so close to cut most of the rink out, but close enough that you can actually see the faces and reactions. My GF actually does not look at her cell phone the entire game anymore.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
BreakfastatMarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
if they want the place to be loud, start selling beer for $1
Chants of DOLLAR BEER would be epic.

I'm for this

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
jrolley325

vCash: 853
lets not forget about the 6-7,000 fans who head for the exits starting at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period every game.

jrolley325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
lets not forget about the 6-7,000 fans who head for the exits starting at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period every game.
The only time I have ever seen that many people leave that early is if the Pens are getting totally blown out. Even then that's a really high estimate.

I've also never understood why this bothers people. Unless they're your ride home and forcing you to leave with them who cares?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
The only time I have ever seen that many people leave that early is if the Pens are getting totally blown out. Even then that's a really high estimate.

I've also never understood why this bothers people. Unless they're your ride home and forcing you to leave with them who cares?
Never quite got this either, people have to get up early for work and whatnot. Who cares if they leave early and the game is more or less decided, did you pay for their ticket?

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
jrolley325

vCash: 853
it doesn't matter what the score is, the opponent, or day of the week. they could be tied with the flyers 3-3 on a saturday afternoon and you'll still see the mad rush for the exits at the last tv timeout. it bothers me because it's not just the lower bowl "suits" doing it. its all over the arena.

i've been to 5 road arenas and this didn't happen anywhere else other than colorado who the pens were thumping anyway with the majority of the crowd pens fans.

jrolley325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:44 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
it doesn't matter what the score is, the opponent, or day of the week. they could be tied with the flyers 3-3 on a saturday afternoon and you'll still see the mad rush for the exits at the last tv timeout. it bothers me because it's not just the lower bowl "suits" doing it. its all over the arena.

i've been to 5 road arenas and this didn't happen anywhere else other than colorado who the pens were thumping anyway with the majority of the crowd pens fans.
So you're saying a 1/3 of the arena leaves early during a tie, Saturday afternoon game, versus a rival? I think you're way overstating the amount of people who leave early, at least in my experience.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

It benefits me when more people leave early because that's fewer people I have to wait for to climb up the stairs, clogging up the concourses, etc. I still don't see the big deal.

There is a guy who sits behind me who goes bat**** over people leaving early. He actually taunts people as they go up the stairs. A few times people have stopped and said something back to him and one of these days he's going to taunt the wrong person and get his teeth knocked out. And it will be well deserved.

Not everyone lives the same lives as you and I. People have babysitters to relieve, tired kids to take home, work nights or weekends, have to get up early in the morning, etc. Even if they’re leaving because they’re bored or because they want to beat the traffic, it still doesn’t affect the life of anyone else and it only affects your enjoyment of the game if you let it.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

You know what I find annoying? Those idiots who think it's a real kneeslapper to yell WOOOO for the entire last five minutes of the game. That crossed the line from mildly amusing to kind of annoying to absolutely moronic and played out well over a season ago. Yet they still show up and do it every.single.game like it's the funniest thing ever. I hate it and so do a lot of other people but they paid for their ticket so it's their right to do it if they want.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
It benefits me when more people leave early because that's fewer people I have to wait for to climb up the stairs, clogging up the concourses, etc. I still don't see the big deal.

There is a guy who sits behind me who goes bat**** over people leaving early. He actually taunts people as they go up the stairs. A few times people have stopped and said something back to him and one of these days he's going to taunt the wrong person and get his teeth knocked out. And it will be well deserved.

Not everyone lives the same lives as you and I. People have babysitters to relieve, tired kids to take home, work nights or weekends, have to get up early in the morning, etc. Even if they’re leaving because they’re bored or because they want to beat the traffic, it still doesn’t affect the life of anyone else and it only affects your enjoyment of the game if you let it.

I have Steeler tickets as well. And way back when there was a guy in our section who kept yelling this racist chant game after game at Franco Harris. 'Hang onto that Watermellon!' After three years of this game after game, one day we noticed that the chants had ended and that guy was no longer there. I still wonder if he is somewhere in the cement under Heinz Field.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
You know what I find annoying? Those idiots who think it's a real kneeslapper to yell WOOOO for the entire last five minutes of the game. That crossed the line from mildly amusing to kind of annoying to absolutely moronic and played out well over a season ago. Yet they still show up and do it every.single.game like it's the funniest thing ever. I hate it and so do a lot of other people but they paid for their ticket so it's their right to do it if they want.
I hate to break it to you, but if the tickets were $20 you would hear a LOT more doing it. The suits are not perfect, but I doubt many of them are doing that wrestling thing.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I hate to break it to you, but if the tickets were $20 you would hear a LOT more doing it. The suits are not perfect, but I doubt many of them are doing that wrestling thing.
Oh no, I am totally aware of that. I'm also on board with the suits/more expensive tickets because I have no desire to go back to watching Rico Fata skate offsides 500 times a season.