HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Subban needs to play more minutes.
I'm quite certain that his ice time will rise eventually. I'm not sure if MT is trying to play some sort of mind games, but he's too good to ignore for long. Diaz didn't start the year with ample ice time, and it didn't take him long to earn the trust of MT, but its only a matter of time with PK.

On this team, he should be playing pivotal minutes no matter what the situation calls for, whether its a PP, PK, or protecting a 3rd period lead. Sure, he's going to make mistakes, and he still takes bad penalties, but I trust him to get the job done in crunch time moreso than Emelin or Diaz.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
You're not getting it. It's you that is unable to use logic by believing that your opinion is fact. Not only that, you feel the only way to rationalize the fact that the professionals believe otherwise, is by claiming conspiracy or ignorance. How is that logical?
Well, it's like I said, they either think he's a dman that should play 18 min a night on the 3rd pairing with no PK time, or they are trying to teach him something.

You are using the word conspiracy... your exaggeration is quite ridiculous and annoying.

Quote:
Ok so maybe you should try to understand why that happened? I won't pretend to know for a fact, but I'll speculate that he was being punished for an absolutely horrible defensive play that broke our shutout, following it up with questionable stick work in allowing a pass to get through to hedman(although in the air) to put the game within a goal. Apart from that, he was probably on pace to 21+ minutes again.
Well that's ridiculous. He contributes directly to all 3 of our goals, make one mistake and he gets benched? Would lend credence to the theory that they are trying to teach him something.

And the Hedman thing wasn't a mistake.... are you joking? Saying that kind of discredits anything you have to say. It's like you're looking to find something wrong with Subban really.

Quote:
Do you think it at all possible that you may be overreacting a bit to this "lack of icetime/lowball offer"?
What?

Quote:
I have no real problem with Diaz being out there in either case, he's been great this year.
He's been ok leeching off of Markov's hot start on the PP but he's not my first option for last minute of a game where we lead by 1.

Quote:
Well then maybe I overrate your ability to follow a conversation? Because the only real arguments I've made in this thread are that Markov is clearly a better dman than Subban, and that Subban is not one of the elite young dmen in the league.
But Subban is indeed one of the elite young dmen in the league. He's really really good.

Quote:
Maybe you should take a breathe and apologize for some of the inflammatory remarks you've made towards me since it appears that you actually agree with me?
Oh c'mon, I barely said anything grow a thicker skin.

Quote:
Or do you really think PK is an elite young defenseman in the NHL? Because to be considered better or even at par with Markov, you'd bet your ass he'd be considered "elite" in this league.
I feel you're grossly exaggerating the difference between the two. Markov used to be top 10 overall IMO, but not anymore. His ability to run a PP remains unchanged but other sides of his game have declined.

Also yes I think PK is an elite young defenseman in the NHL part of a very very small group of dman under 25 capable of logging #1 minutes and playing in any situation. The current coaching staff is not using him that way but he was used that way last year and showed he could do it. I don't know how you don't see that.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Well, it's like I said, they either think he's a dman that should play 18 min a night on the 3rd pairing with no PK time, or they are trying to teach him something.
But he is playing more than 18 mins a night!?

Quote:
You are using the word conspiracy... your exaggeration is quite ridiculous and annoying.
By you insinuating that they are trying to teach him some sort of undeserved lesson, is in fact a conspiracy theory. So....

Quote:
Well that's ridiculous. He contributes directly to all 3 of our goals, make one mistake and he gets benched? Would lend credence to the theory that they are trying to teach him something.

And the Hedman thing wasn't a mistake.... are you joking? Saying that kind of discredits anything you have to say. It's like you're looking to find something wrong with Subban really.
Think what you will, but I'd like him to play that a bit better. I don't want his stick flailing, I want stick on stick and body on body there. I would feel the same if it were Markov or Bobby Orr making that play. I was just guessing as to why he got benched late in the game there anyways, so try not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote:
What?
Your words:
Quote:
The lowball offer + lack of ice time makes me wonder what the hell is up with the coaching staff and management.

Is it because they don't realize how good he is or is it because they're trying to teach him some kind of lesson. I honestly don't know which is worse. I guess the first one would be really bad because that means our GM is HankyZetts.
Quote:
He's been ok leeching off of Markov's hot start on the PP but he's not my first option for last minute of a game where we lead by 1.
He was definitely not leeching. The guy is a smart and skilled player. He knows how to distribute the puck and contributed fairly to the PP.

Quote:
Oh c'mon, I barely said anything grow a thicker skin.
I'm not crying over here, but there's no need for a lot of the crap you're sprinkling onto your posts.

Quote:
I feel you're grossly exaggerating the difference between the two. Markov used to be top 10 overall IMO, but not anymore. His ability to run a PP remains unchanged but other sides of his game have declined.
Well my opinion is that Markov was top 5-6 in the league in his prime, and right now top 10-15 at the very least. I'd probably rate him in the top 7-10 dmen without putting too much thought into it.

Quote:
Also yes I think PK is an elite young defenseman in the NHL part of a very very small group of dman under 25 capable of logging #1 minutes and playing in any situation. The current coaching staff is not using him that way but he was used that way last year and showed he could do it. I don't know how you don't see that.
I see him as a freak athlete, a beast who can log big minutes without tiring, a lot of skill but lacking awareness. There are more than a few dmen 25 and under that are simply much better defencemen than him. Not many guys that can match up to him athletically, but between the ears, he just doesn't have their ability.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:08 PM
icerocket

Subban's play has been great. It was a damn shame that MT used him so little in OT.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:12 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I see him as a freak athlete, a beast who can log big minutes without tiring, a lot of skill but lacking awareness. There are more than a few dmen 25 and under that are simply much better defencemen than him. Not many guys that can match up to him athletically, but between the ears, he just doesn't have their ability.
The player you're describing is Shawn Belle, not PK Subban. Can't continue this discussion, we're just too far apart in what we see.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
But he is playing more than 18 mins a night!?

By you insinuating that they are trying to teach him some sort of undeserved lesson, is in fact a conspiracy theory. So....

Think what you will, but I'd like him to play that a bit better. I don't want his stick flailing, I want stick on stick and body on body there. I would feel the same if it were Markov or Bobby Orr making that play. I was just guessing as to why he got benched late in the game there anyways, so try not to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Your words:

He was definitely not leeching. The guy is a smart and skilled player. He knows how to distribute the puck and contributed fairly to the PP.

I'm not crying over here, but there's no need for a lot of the crap you're sprinkling onto your posts.

Well my opinion is that Markov was top 5-6 in the league in his prime, and right now top 10-15 at the very least. I'd probably rate him in the top 7-10 dmen without putting too much thought into it.

Putting you on the spot isn't really my intention, but for the sake of argument, who are these under 25 D who are clearly better than PK. Pietrangelo, Doughty and Karlsson are obvious.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
The player you're describing is Shawn Belle, not PK Subban. Can't continue this discussion, we're just too far apart in what we see.
Shawn Belle was crap.

PK is a fine player. I think he is a player you win with, a guy who elevates his game in the playoffs. I'm just saying that he is not on the level of the top group of young defencemen. ie Doughty, OEL, Karlsson, Brodin, Hedman, Hamilton, Pietro etc. Nothing wrong with that, I feel the same way about Pacioretty yet they're both players that any Stanley Cup team would love to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Putting you on the spot isn't really my intention, but for the sake of argument, who are these under 25 D who are clearly better than PK. Pietrangelo, Doughty and Karlsson are obvious.
In my opinion? There are a bunch that I'd trade PK for, I'd rather not get into a deep list as it'll just be an argument, considering I'd take guys like Mcdonagh over PK, and I'm sure that won't sit well here.

Last edited by HankyZetts: 02-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Shawn Belle was crap.

PK is a fine player. I think he is a player you win with, a guy who elevates his game in the playoffs. I'm just saying that he is not on the level of the top group of young defencemen. ie Doughty, OEL, Karlsson, Brodin, Hedman, Hamilton, Pietro etc. Nothing wrong with that, I feel the same way about Pacioretty yet they're both players that any Stanley Cup team would love to have.
Subban is basically on the same level as OEL, but is more rugged. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietro are givens. The rest? You've got to be joking. Hamilton and brodin have done nothing at this level. Hedman is on the same defensive level as Subban, but has accomplished less offensively, on more offensively gifted teams.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Worthy to mention those guys all have more experience too. Well, Pietrangelo is pretty much on an even stage, but the other have more.

I don't see how anybody can actually argue that there are more than a few Dmen in this league that are better than PK.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

required reading:

http://awinninghabit.com/2012/08/15/...-to-his-peers/

Old
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Shawn Belle was crap.

Brodin and Hamilton? Seriously? Did you actually name them? Please buddy, you're not serious.

OEL is PK without the physicality part. I don't see how OEL is definitely better than PK. He isn't. Nor is Hedman who can't even compare to the skills PK brings offensively.

You're reaching.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

He continues to improve and I'm really excited about this guy being on our blueline and anchoring our defense in the coming years. He and Price and both the real deal. Now we've just got to pray that Galchenyuk follows in their footsteps.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Subban is basically on the same level as OEL, but is more rugged. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietro are givens. The rest? You've got to be joking. Hamilton and brodin have done nothing at this level. Hedman is on the same defensive level as Subban, but has accomplished less offensively, on more offensively gifted teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Brodin and Hamilton? Seriously? Did you actually name them? Please buddy, you're not serious.

OEL is PK without the physicality part. I don't see how OEL is definitely better than PK. He isn't. Nor is Hedman who can't even compare to the skills PK brings offensively.

You're reaching.
And this is exactly why PK Subban is crazy overrated by Habs fans...

OEL is a much better player than PK is, I think he may be the best of all of the guys I named, maybe not Pietro. Hamilton is going to be a beast in this league as will Jonas Brodin. Hedman is exactly what this team is missing on the backend. I'd trade Subban for any of those players in a heartbeat, and there are others.

Don't know what else to say. I just don't see how you guys think THAT highly of Pk..

Old
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
As soon as I saw the sabre-metrics, I stopped.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

OEL is a much better player than PK is, I think he may be the best of all of the guys I named, maybe not Pietro. Hamilton is going to be a beast in this league as will Jonas Brodin. Hedman is exactly what this team is missing on the backend. I'd trade Subban for any of those players in a heartbeat, and there are others.

Don't know what else to say. I just don't see how you guys think THAT highly of Pk..
PK possesses a rare skill set. Absolutely outstanding skater, great shot, plays the man instead of the puck (unlike Markov) and is able to agitate. Maybe I'm wearing blinders but I'm really high on him.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
PK possesses a rare skill set. Absolutely outstanding skater, great shot, plays the man instead of the puck (unlike Markov) and is able to agitate. Maybe I'm wearing blinders but I'm really high on him.
Everything you said is true. I don't see why anyone thinks I believe otherwise. The best of the best though, possess more.

Hockeysense is the key.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Everything you said is true. I don't see why anyone thinks I believe otherwise. The best of the best though, possess more.
I don't think so. I think he's got all the tools to be among the very best players in the game.
Quote:
Hockeysense is the key.
I've seen massive improvement since the start of last season. He's still developing sure but he's doing it in leaps and bounds. I was skeptical at first but I've become a believer. He's an elite defenseman already.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Right because you're having this conversation here with people that have regularly overrated habs players right?

OEL is not a much better player. What exactly are you basing this on?? Your years of scouting both players?
Hamilton and Brodin will be beasts in this league, at some point, given their progression persists. Right. I guess we can add Jones as a better Dman than PK too.

Sure, Hedman is what we're missing, now. Trade him for Subban and PK becomes exactly what we're missing. Great Job.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Looking back at the 2007 draft. Turris and JVRD are just starting to blossom now and Kane has been hot and cold.

I honestly think that I'd take PK over Kane if that draft were to happen again. I have PK as the best player in that drafft. It may not play out that way by the end of the day, but right now I think we got the best player in that draft. That includes Kane, Couture and Benn.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:50 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
OEL is a much better player than PK is
Advanced stats say otherwise though. (and just plain stats as well.)

What has OEL done that's more impressive thatn what Subban did? The answer is nothing, he followed the exact same trajectory as he did only a year later so he is just fresher in people's memory and isn't tainted by the dirty bleu blanc rouge which is imprinted iven in some Habs fans head.

Quote:
I don't know what to say to you either because you should see every game PK has played since the start of his career if you're a Habs fan, and if you're lucky 1/10th of that exposure to OEL, so what exactly do you see in OEL that makes him so much better than Subban exactly?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:56 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Right because you're having this conversation here with people that have regularly overrated habs players right?

OEL is not a much better player. What exactly are you basing this on?? Your years of scouting both players?
I wouldn't call it "years of scouting", because I am just a fan, but I have watched most of these players play for at least a couple years. So, what am I basing it on? My watching them play.

Hey if you are of the opinion that Pk and OEL are equal hockey players, then I respect that. I disagree, but I respect that. I think OEL will be consistently fighting for Norris trophies.

Quote:
Hamilton and Brodin will be beasts in this league, at some point, given their progression persists. Right. I guess we can add Jones as a better Dman than PK too.
They're both already really good players in the league at 19. They are blue chippers and both possess more ability than PK.

I know what you're getting at but hell yes I would take Jones over Pk as well. All I'm saying is that if I had to make a group of the "elite 23 and under dmen", PK at best gets an honorable mention.

Quote:
Sure, Hedman is what we're missing, now. Trade him for Subban and PK becomes exactly what we're missing. Great Job.
We are a better team with Hedman instead of Subban. JMO.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
They're both already really good players in the league at 19. They are blue chippers and both possess more ability than PK.

I know what you're getting at but hell yes I would take Jones over Pk as well. All I'm saying is that if I had to make a group of the "elite 23 and under dmen", PK at best gets an honorable mention.
So you'd put Jones ahead of PK right now? That doesn't make any sense dude.
Quote:
We are a better team with Hedman instead of Subban. JMO.
I don't think so man.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Advanced stats say otherwise though. (and just plain stats as well.)

What has OEL done that's more impressive thatn what Subban did? The answer is nothing, he followed the exact same trajectory as he did only a year later so he is just fresher in people's memory and isn't tainted by the dirty bleu blanc rouge which is imprinted iven in some Habs fans head.

I don't know what to say to you either because you should see every game PK has played since the start of his career if you're a Habs fan, and if you're lucky 1/10th of that exposure to OEL, so what exactly do you see in OEL that makes him so much better than Subban exactly?
No disrespect, but I really don't believe that I have to explain this. He does everything. Absolutely elite hockey sense, vision, skill. Makes everything look easy out there. Big, great skater, great stick. At 20 years old logged big minutes on a division championship team. I mean seriously, this guy is better than Karlsson, imo. I'd probably take him before Doughty as well. Only guy I like as much is Pietrangelo. In 2 seasons you will laugh at this. IMO.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:12 PM
AlexHABS31

The only thing I find is missing from Subban since re-signing is the "explosiveness". But in all honesty, he's been a point per game D-man until now so I have nothing negative to say about him. Maybe the fact that he sometimes gets caught out of position but I mean that happens to the best of 'em.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
So you'd put Jones ahead of PK right now? That doesn't make any sense dude.

As in who would be a more effective player right now? That's a good question, I think I go PK with that one because I'm not sure if Jones is thick enough to be physically dominant. But I'd trade Pk for him in a heartbeat. He will be better than Pk by his second season at the latest imo.

Quote:
I don't think so man.
That's fine. I do. 6'6" that can skate, has skill, plays tough and has great hockey sense? Come on.

Closed Thread