HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Arizona Sports Thread II: DBacks, Cardinals, Suns, Wildcats, Sun Devils, etc

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Naurutger

vCash: 1329
"@Gambo620: Dbacks sign Martin Prado to 4 year 40 million dollar contract."

Old
01-31-2013, 12:28 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Keeping Prado was the main worry of the trade with Upton. Will it work out? Who knows. Upton was a special player, and was playing hurt for most of last year. This team has a ton of young talent. Arguably one of the best catchers in the league for a long time, young pitching core that is amongst the best in the leagues. Will the recent moves of getting rid of Tatman and Upton work out? Who knows. I hope so though.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
This team has a ton of young talent.
A hell of a lot less than they did 12 months ago.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
A hell of a lot less than they did 12 months ago.
Granted, but they still have quite a bit of young talent.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:53 AM
XX
... Waiting

Former ASU receiver Tyrice Thompson was the bouncer stabbed at Martini Ranch. Hearing that he succumb to his injuries. RIP. Still have no suspects, which is disappointing.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
awfulwaffle

Listened to the ASU game on the way home on Sirius radio, they tied the game up but couldn't finish it off. Sucks, because every conference game counts at this point. This loss just means they are going to have to make it that much further in the Pac-12 tournament in Vegas.

UofA won, but I don't care too much, I'm an ASU fan. NAU lost too.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
awfulwaffle

Pretty sure this belongs here too. Phil Mickelson has destroyed the Waste Management Open. He nearly broke the 36 hole record, and now he holds a 6 stroke lead heading into the final round. Going to take a meltdown(which is possible) for him to lose this tournament. There are a lot of low scores this tournament though. Does anyone know the record low score?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Naurutger

That ASU game was higher scoring than a lot of NBA games.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:15 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Pretty sure this belongs here too. Phil Mickelson has destroyed the Waste Management Open. He nearly broke the 36 hole record, and now he holds a 6 stroke lead heading into the final round. Going to take a meltdown(which is possible) for him to lose this tournament. There are a lot of low scores this tournament though. Does anyone know the record low score?

Old
02-03-2013, 08:36 AM
awfulwaffle

That hole is just, amazing. It reminds me of Happy Gilmore when Adam Sandler is telling the crowd to make some noise while he is about to shoot. I wonder what the players feel about the noise level, it obviously carries over to other holes. I mean hell, I think I was on hole 14 the year Tiger made the hole in 1. With the added seats, it's just that much louder.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:42 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
That hole is just, amazing. It reminds me of Happy Gilmore when Adam Sandler is telling the crowd to make some noise while he is about to shoot. I wonder what the players feel about the noise level, it obviously carries over to other holes. I mean hell, I think I was on hole 14 the year Tiger made the hole in 1. With the added seats, it's just that much louder.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
awfulwaffle

Old
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I was at the Open in 2001 when Andrew Magee hit a hole-in-one on the par four 17th hole. That was nuts. Believe it's still the only time anyone's done that on a par four.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:01 AM
awfulwaffle

Congratulations to Phil!

Old
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

I was working at the 16th hole all tournament and it was fun, even though I didn't get to see a lot of golf.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
XX
... Waiting

ASU had a mediocre signing day. A QB actually shut his phone off/ignored the coaching staff for weeks while he entertained the idea of going to Tennessee. Had been a commit for a long time. I guess character isn't high up on the list of things parents teach their kids today. Coach Graham was up front about how hard they have to study and work to stay on the team, and that chased a few kids away. The team GPA was 2.55 (haha) and that was supposedly the highest it has ever been. Kind of sad.

They did go from one of the most penalized teams to one of the most disciplined:

Quote:
There are good penalties and bad penalties. Penalties of choice that cannot possibly help your team -- personal fouls/unsportsmanlike conduct or false starts -- are bad, while actions contrary to rules when you're trying to get an advantage -- holding, pass interference -- can be good, at least when you get away with such behavior on other plays.

The Sun Devils in 2011 mostly did the bad ones when they ranked last in the nation in penalty yards per game. They just did stupid things that hurt themselves, often at critical moments in the game. Over and over again. They were quintessentially undisciplined.

When Todd Graham was hired before the 2012 season, he promised more discipline. And he 100 percent delivered on that promise.

The Sun Devils moved up from last to eighth in the nation, with 34.92 penalty yards per game in 2012. That's 44.85 yards per game better in 2012 than in 2011, which is darn near like moving from the goal line to midfield.

Not only that, the school's sports information department determined the 2012 Sun Devils posted seven of the 10 least penalized games for the program since the 2006 season.
Also multiple comments from opposing coaching on how classy the team was this year. The man delivered on his promise.

Police arrested Tyrice Thompson's killer.

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Police/n...urder_Arrested

Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
awfulwaffle

How would you rate the new class coming in for ASU XX?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
How would you rate the new class coming in for ASU XX?
The coaching staff comes from smaller programs. Graham had a lot of success at Tulsa by recruiting the leftovers the big Texas schools didn't want. It's a lot like Tipett with the Coyotes. Sure, natural talent helps, but if you have a great coaching staff you can make up the difference. They picked up some talented players, most notably Hardison, who will be a beast next to Sutton. I'm predicting the best pass rush in the nation. They were #9 last year, but Sutton sat two games and Onyeali wasn't available.

They had a chance at the best class ever, but things didn't really fall in place. That's not their fault. Highly touted kids have zero character for the most part. A lot of guys flocked to UCLA for the glitz and glamour, but I doubt Mora stays there much longer or that it translates onto the field.

I would give the class a C+/B- only because they didn't have a contingency plan for when they lost a highly rated QB. Graham gave Dobbs the benefit of the doubt and got burned. Bruggman, the top QB in the state, apparently has character and kept his word, signing with WSU even though that program is a dumpster fire. They don't absolutely need one this year, and 2014 has probably the best QB to ever come out of AZ available. The real test will be after next year, when they graduate a ton of players (I think 11) off of the defense.

I am impressed with the staff. Oregon thought about poaching the D coordinator Randolph but he passed. Once they get cooking on the stadium renovations, this team should be competing for the Pac 12 title every year. Last year was a positive start, but it will take a 10 win season to really turn the corner.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
awfulwaffle

ASU loses to Stanford by 3. Drops them to 7-4 in the Pac-12.

Stanford
Washington
Oregon
Arizona

Washington game was a beating, and they stuck around AZ for the first half.

I know the team is doing well this year, but I just don't know if the RPI would be good enough to make the tournament at this point.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:18 PM
awfulwaffle

Dbacks sign Rod Barajas to a minor league contract. Glad to see an old face back.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:26 PM
awfulwaffle

Cal beats UofA. Not going to lie, I always like seeing Arizona lose.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Naurutger

ASU is officially NIT bound after that loss. If Aizona does not get their act together soon they could drop to a 3 seed. And NAU...one day boys one day. Will be slightly annoying if GCU gets there before the Jacks. Only time a year I remember to look up an NAU score.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
As a man who stood before a real judge, Grace sees the humor. But he tries not to laugh too hard.

Im a fun-loving guy, and I love a good joke as much as anybody, Grace said. But I tell people theres nothing funny about this. I got 2,445 hits in the big leagues, over 500 doubles and was a career .300 hitter. I won four Gold Gloves, a World Series ring, and guess where Im sleeping the next four months? In jail. It doesnt matter what I accomplished.

But weve all known this day was coming, and its something I have to deal with. Im going to be a much better man for it, a much better father, a much better friend and a much better Diamondbacks employee. And if this makes me a better member of society at age 48, then you know what? Its going to be worth it.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...ark-grace.html

Grace serving his time.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:12 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
ASU is officially NIT bound after that loss. If Aizona does not get their act together soon they could drop to a 3 seed. And NAU...one day boys one day. Will be slightly annoying if GCU gets there before the Jacks. Only time a year I remember to look up an NAU score.
Hey, we can always win the Pac-12 Tournament!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Naurutger

Quote:
Hey, we can always win the Pac-12 Tournament!
Fact. I am going to the championship game in Vegas too.

Closed Thread