HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Shanhan a ranger?

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Um, guys, just to let you know, there is absolutely no truth to this, some moron posted something like this on Hockeybird, and that is where it started from. No use even discussing it.

Old
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
is that 5 million for 1 year or 5 over 2 or 3?

If it's over 1 year then I'd probably give it to him, why not? It's not as if that moneys going to be spent elsewhere anyway, so it's ok to overpay if your only doing it for one year, hell give him 6 million over 1 year, it really doesn't matter. I would not commit that type of money to him for anymore than 1 year though.
Agree. We have the cap room and if its just for one year then im fine with it. If its 2 years I wouldnt want to give him 5 million though.

Old
07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Maybe he might have been in NY for a visit/physical? Highly doubt it but who knows? Obviously it is all speculation and I'm sure we would have heard by now if he was in Ranger Blue.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Fletch

Wings fans seem to be saying...

that Holland would be nuts to offer him a $4MM contract and that his 40 goal campaign was the weakest 40-goal campaign ever, for whatever that's worth.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:25 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

One and done, maybe. I don't like doing the really old guy thing. we've been there, done that. I'm more interested in seeing that ice time given to younger guys to help witht heir development. We need to start to move away from older vets to solve our problems.

On the flip side I could see signing him and then trading him at the deadline for a pick. Heck do 2 of them & double the picks!

Old
07-07-2006, 01:05 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
One and done, maybe. I don't like doing the really old guy thing. we've been there, done that. I'm more interested in seeing that ice time given to younger guys to help witht heir development. We need to start to move away from older vets to solve our problems.

On the flip side I could see signing him and then trading him at the deadline for a pick. Heck do 2 of them & double the picks!
Who do we have that's ready to be a 2nd line scorer? Immonen? His top-end potential is that of a 2nd line player, so it's HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that he'll be centering the 2nd line in his rookie year. The same goes for Dawes and Dubinsky. Korpikoski's nowhere near ready yet. Anisimov hasn't even come over to North America.

Point is, be careful of what you wish for. You want a young guy to take that ice time, and then his development stunts because his confidence hits rock bottom. Not saying it will happen, but it definitely could.

Old
07-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Fletch

If Immonen centered a second line...

with Prucha and Cullen, theoretically, there should be some scoring coming from that line. Also, if Cullen centered Prucha and Hossa, or even Ward, there should be some scoring from that line (I think Ward can score 10-15 goals given second line minutes). That's assuming that Cullen had a breakout year and not a career year (26 goals is nothing to sneeze at - combine that with maybe 30 goals from Prucha again and let's say Immonen pots 10-15 - you're not looking at a bad take). The question would be, from where on the third line does scoring come? Ward showed he can score when centering a line, so a couple wingers should be found within the Rangers somewhere - G. Moore? D. Moore? Dawes? Helminen? Dubinsky? The question will be, is this enough scoring. Do you get a guy like Shanahan who very well may be getting ready for that decline we see so often in big, power forwards. For one year, it's not a huge risk to take, but I just don't know at this point.

Old
07-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Choice

I think Shanahan would be a great fit. He'd add some second line scoring, as everyone has said, and he brings a dimension to our forward corps that doesn't exist, which is that of the power forward. It also means one of Rucinsky or Sykora could be let go.

Granted I didnt watch him everyday this past year but there seems to be something left in the tank.

Old
07-08-2006, 03:10 PM
BlueHavok

ive thought long and hard...and I believe shanny in NY would be a monumental mistake. we need to bring up youth. I, like most, get elated at big signings, but the time is NOT right for him or this team. Lets re-focus on the rebuild shall we.

Old
07-08-2006, 03:24 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
ive thought long and hard...and I believe shanny in NY would be a monumental mistake. we need to bring up youth. I, like most, get elated at big signings, but the time is NOT right for him or this team. Lets re-focus on the rebuild shall we.
The same line I've heard for the past 2 years, and I'm going to give you the same response that I've been giving people for the past 2 years.

Who is ready? We need a 2nd line winger and center who can score. Some say Immonen is ready, I won't believe it until I see it myself. Dawes? Can you honestly say that these guys are "ready?" Dubinsky? To judge someone on 11 games in the AHL playoffs is ridiculous. Has he made great strides? Yes.

I don't want to see these kids struggle on the 2nd line and lose their confidence, and I sure as hell don't want to see them rot on the 4th line. Malhotra was rushed, and ended up rotting on the 4th line. I'd rather not see that again.

That's why you sign stop gaps until you're 110% sure that these kids are ready.

When you rebuild, you don't throw an AHL team on the ice to see it lose every night either.

Old
07-08-2006, 04:45 PM
BlueHavok

agreed on the not rushing aspect....but shanny's signing would move prucha down, straka to center (as per blueshirtbulletin) and a prospect or two rots...err... i mean develops in hartford....lets keep it simple and play everyones spot right...look, malholtra's talent was/is finite...miss diagnosed by scouts and others alike... this dredd of burning out an young imprerssionable mind in the rigor of the big leagues is asinine. It's regurgitated bantor from inpatient, over eager...and dare I say, spoiled ranger fans to used to the overspending of years past. Introduce these newbies gradually, strategically, but DO IT already. orts, hollweg and moore are great examples of what Im talking about.

On a side note, is anyone else a little disappointed on the big clubs dismissive attitude on Pock??? I think this guys the sh#t and think he should be given more ops to develop in the big leagues. Looking for on offensive D?...look no further. Agree or disagree???

Old
07-08-2006, 05:02 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
agreed on the not rushing aspect....but shanny's signing would move prucha down, straka to center (as per blueshirtbulletin) and a prospect or two rots...err... i mean develops in hartford....lets keep it simple and play everyones spot right...look, malholtra's talent was/is finite...miss diagnosed by scouts and others alike... this dredd of burning out an young imprerssionable mind in the rigor of the big leagues is asinine. It's regurgitated bantor from inpatient, over eager...and dare I say, spoiled ranger fans to used to the overspending of years past. Introduce these newbies gradually, strategically, but DO IT already. orts, hollweg and moore are great examples of what Im talking about.

On a side note, is anyone else a little disappointed on the big clubs dismissive attitude on Pock??? I think this guys the sh#t and think he should be given more ops to develop in the big leagues. Looking for on offensive D?...look no further. Agree or disagree???
Yes, Malhotra's potential/talent was misdiagnosed, I agree, but there's no excuse for handling him the way we did.

Quote:
this dredd of burning out an young imprerssionable mind in the rigor of the big leagues is asinine. It's regurgitated bantor from inpatient, over eager...and dare I say, spoiled ranger fans to used to the overspending of years past.
Are you kidding? How is not wanting to screw up young talent when we're in a REBUILDING mode "asinine?" Think about what you're saying here. You want to just dive right in when the success of the franchise rests ALMOST SOLELY on these kids?

I'm not spoiled Ranger fan, I just know that if we screw ANYTHING up with these kids, we take a step back, and taking a step-back to take a step forward gets us no close to the cup. It evens out at best.

Old
07-08-2006, 05:20 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Yes, Malhotra's potential/talent was misdiagnosed, I agree, but there's no excuse for handling him the way we did.

Are you kidding? How is not wanting to screw up young talent when we're in a REBUILDING mode "asinine?" Think about what you're saying here. You want to just dive right in when the success of the franchise rests ALMOST SOLELY on these kids?

I'm not spoiled Ranger fan, I just know that if we screw ANYTHING up with these kids, we take a step back, and taking a step-back to take a step forward gets us no close to the cup. It evens out at best.
Gradually inclusion...not trial by fire. Asinine is keeping the kiddies in hartford to protect their overly "fragile" minds and bodies. Otherwise, id agree with being cautious. Malholtra's handling?...what r u referring to? His massive choke or some made up pyschological breakdown? Maybe trading him was the worst mental blow he recieved to his confidence. If thier's some glaring event ive missed please elaborate. Still, I think Shanny's a mistake. Plus the age factor---what about Samsonov if we're so eager to sign--i forget his position, which is critical, but I think he like 29 and overall a gritty player. I think I might have missed the boat on that thread. POCK ROCKS!!!

Old
07-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
POCK ROCKS!!!
I'll agree that giving Pock a shot is worth giving a solid look. From the games that I've seen him play he has been pretty steady and at least showed me that the NHL didn't intimidate him.

Old
07-08-2006, 05:39 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Its time to forget about Rozsival. W have a kid with the name of Pock who to my eyes has capitalized on every chance he's gotten to play for the big club. What has Rozsival done that pock hasnt? We are rebuilding and Pock will be a bargain.

Ward-Rachunek
kaspar-Tyutin
Malik-Pock

As far as the forard positions. Getting shanahan is no harm and would relief Jagr some. Rucinsky can play the 3rd line and fit in very nicely IMO- besides he's always been projected as a 3rd liner. Just so you guys know SHANNY plays BOTH LW & RW.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan
Rucinsky-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Hell I wouldnt mind a Prucha-Immonen-Ward line- that line would be all speed and Ward would actually be able ti finish his chances playing along side a better playmakewr in Immone rather Betts.

Thats 6 Prospects in the starting line-up: Lundqvist, Pock, Tyutin, Prucha, Immonen, Hollweg- the 07-08 season shanny would be replaced by Dawes, Staal would replace Rachunek and the Rebuild would be in full force. Its working out nicely folks.

07-08:
Prucha-Immonen-Jagr
Dawes-Cullen-?
?-Dubinsky-Ward
Hollweg-?-?

Old
07-09-2006, 01:44 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Gradually inclusion...not trial by fire. Asinine is keeping the kiddies in hartford to protect their overly "fragile" minds and bodies. Otherwise, id agree with being cautious. Malholtra's handling?...what r u referring to? His massive choke or some made up pyschological breakdown? Maybe trading him was the worst mental blow he recieved to his confidence. If thier's some glaring event ive missed please elaborate. Still, I think Shanny's a mistake. Plus the age factor---what about Samsonov if we're so eager to sign--i forget his position, which is critical, but I think he like 29 and overall a gritty player. I think I might have missed the boat on that thread. POCK ROCKS!!!
Gradual inclusion isn't 5 or less minutes a game on the 4th line, or putting them out for nearly 15 on the 2nd, and those are our only options for these kids, because none of them are the checking type, aside from Immonen.

Malhotra's handling, yes, let's make this clear...

THE WAY HE WAS BROUGHT UP TO THE NHL AND WAS SENT TO ROT ON THE 4TH LINE.

I really didn't think I would have to end up doing that, but you've forced me to. Muckler basically ruined his confidence by letting him sit on that 4th line with crap players.

Samsonov might not be a bad idea if Shanahan signs elsewhere. I'd rather have him than Sykora, personally. Samsonov adds a greater dimension of speed and grit.

Pock is ok, I don't see him making it in the NHL if he doesn't elevate his game though. He wasn't overly impressive this past year.

Old
07-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I really don't know how else to put this, but why is everyone so praiseful of Pock?

I mean, I've seen worse, but he hasn't shown me much at all.

Old
07-09-2006, 01:53 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I really don't know how else to put this, but why is everyone so praiseful of Pock?

I mean, I've seen worse, but he hasn't shown me much at all.

He's a finesse player who fits right in. I don't even know what to say anymore man, it's almost like half the people see guys who don't throw a hit and they want him here. Weird stuff...then I ask for a guy like Souray or de Vries, and the riot begins...crazy

Old
07-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
He's a finesse player who fits right in. I don't even know what to say anymore man, it's almost like half the people see guys who don't throw a hit and they want him here. Weird stuff...then I ask for a guy like Souray or de Vries, and the riot begins...crazy
Its not just that, he always seems out of position. I still remember when he singlehandly blew that Blue Jacket game last year by letting Nash blow right by him..

Old
07-09-2006, 01:57 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Its not just that, he always seems out of position. I still remember when he singlehandly blew that Blue Jacket game last year by letting Nash blow right by him..

Remembered as well! The Marcel Hossa scored a goal game!

Old
07-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Quote:
Marcel Hossa. Now he shows me something, sometimes anyway. If he could just keep up whatever he does when he has a couple good games.

I really want to see him in the lineup when the year starts but I'm not sure if any room is there.

Old
07-09-2006, 02:14 AM
IanB

Quote:
2 goals!

Old
07-09-2006, 03:08 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Hmm...how about we change our philosophy to this...

"We are not rebuilding...we're retooling!!!"

The argument from now until we build a team from home grown talent, will be whether or not we should add certain free agents. Specifically this is targeted at those elder players that are on their way out in other markets. In my opinion, Shanny for on year wouldn't be bad. The minute we dish a 2-3 year deal, then I'd ahve to question what Slats is doing. Like what Gretz said, we have to all look at who is NHL ready. Throwing AHLers onto NHL ice will accomplish nothing. We've been tooting our own horns for so long about how great this system is, so let it go. I have no problem seeing us bring in some older guys to short term deals in the short run, and have all these young players maximize their potential for a possible dynasty type run.

Ahhhh, come on bring it who wants to keep the argument going.

Old
07-09-2006, 04:46 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

shanahan a ranger - newyorkpost back page

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269087

shanahan / prucha would be a great 2nd line scoring threat combo. since we don't have a bonafide 2nd line center, i think a reasonable thing to do is flip flop between immonen and cullen. that way immonen will get some time to play with quality wingers. he showed that he has skills to skate and dish the puck in a few games last season.

shanahan-immonen-prucha
cullen-betts-ward
hollweg-moore-ortmeyer

or

shanahan-cullen-prucha
hossa/moore-immonen-ward
hollweg-betts-ortmeyer

Old
07-09-2006, 04:53 AM
Balej20*

I have a feeling that at some point, Shanny will be on a line with Jagr, and they will have a week where that line scores something crazy like 15 goals.

Closed Thread