HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
With our ninth selection, the 274th overall in this year All-Time draft, les Nordiques de Québec are extremely proud to select, from Prescott, Ontario, Canada, defenceman Leo Boivin

You traded up for Leo Boivin?!

I can think of at least one physical defenseman I'd take before Boivin without a second thought. Boivin was sort of a fringe top-10 guy for some number of years in the league, but he doesn't have a discernable peak. If Boivin is not in the hall, when does he get drafted just based on his achievements?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post

I can think of at least one physical defenseman I'd take before Boivin without a second thought. Boivin was sort of a fringe top-10 guy for some number of years in the league, but he doesn't have a discernable peak. If Boivin is not in the hall, when does he get drafted just based on his achievements?
I sort of agree with you, but to play Devil's Advocate, why do you think the All Star voters were right and the Hall of Fame is wrong?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
He gets dinged for the short career, but I think he definitely drove his team's success. He wasn't a one-way guy like some of the other early era scorers either.
What are you basing both sides of that comment on?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:59 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
With Pick 272 of the 2013 ATD the Baltimore Blades are proud to select Left Winger Dean Prentice:

Prentice will play the glue guy role on my 2nd line.

Next has been pmed.

Is he better than Tonelli? I think he may be.

Quote:
With our ninth selection, the 274th overall in this year All-Time draft, les Nordiques de Québec are extremely proud to select, from Prescott, Ontario, Canada, defenceman Leo Boivin

I took him 29 picks later last year, and I think he was just an average pick then. I thought he was a steal when I first picked him, but by the time I finished my research, I was pretty underwhelmed. He was taken at 227 and 205 in 2011 and 2010, which looking back, was brutal. Here's my bio of him last year, hopefully you can find some more good stuff.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
At 276, Dallas will take an original Hall of Famer … from Ottawa, Ontario … C Frank McGee
I still don't know how I feel about him. I picked him about 25 picks earlier 2 years ago, and I found a lot of great stuff, but he has just 4 years and gets a lot of mileage out of being such a great playoff scorer at face value, but when you get in-depth about who he scored his goals against, it looks a lot less impressive.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:51 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
All right this wasn't my initial plan but I feel like this is a good opportunity to reunite the Gold Dust Twins , Montreal will therefore select Gus Mortson , D to complete their 2nd pairing.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
All right this wasn't my initial plan but I feel like this is a good opportunity to reunite the Gold Dust Twins , Montreal will therefore select Gus Mortson , D to complete their 2nd pairing.

Nicely done

Old
02-14-2013, 01:03 AM
nik jr

alaska fairbanks selects LW steve shutt.

not the best player available, but he was a very good goalscorer with a great combination of shot, speed and hands, and i think his chemistry with the unpredictable lafleur is worth it.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:05 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

not the best player available, but he was a very good goalscorer with a great combination of shot, speed and hands, and i think his chemistry with the unpredictable lafleur is worth it.
Both pretty obvious picks based on chemistry, IMO. I think sometimes GMs make reaches for chemistry sake, but both of these guys are decent value now on their own.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:05 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Nicely done
thanks , there's some other interesting defencemen but it's never bad to reunite good partners.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Both pretty obvious picks based on chemistry, IMO. I think sometimes GMs make reaches for chemistry sake, but both of these guys are decent value now on their own.
Yeah , I wasn't going to reach that much to reunite the gold dust twins but the value got good enough to give it a shot.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:12 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I'm pretty set at who I want at 284, so anyone who picks before me can send me a list if you won't be around.

(or better yet, trade me your pick )

Old
02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:

We traded up from 297, because we absolutely believe that Leo Boivin wouldn't of been available at our original spot. We understand that Boivin was not the best defenceman available, but he brings exactly what we were looking for as a #4 defenceman to complement Frantisek Pospisil and out group of defenceman. It's not about picking the best player available at each selection, but the one that will help you win the most games. We are thrilled to round out our top-4 at defence will a player that brings such attribute to the ice.

For the record, the only defenceman I had ahead of Boivin was Gus Mortson, but we didn't thought he fits our need as well. I believe Boivin belongs in a group of half-a-dozen to ten defenceman that brings different skillset to the table and deserve to be selected at that range.

PS: Steve Shutt was #1 on our list at #280. In hindsight, we should of gone with him at #274 and Boivin at #280. However, our plan B might be just better (Hope I don't jinx it)

Old
02-14-2013, 05:51 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
wouldn't of been
[grammar nazi]
have
[/grammar nazi]

Old
02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
[grammar nazi]
have
[/grammar nazi]

Je suis certain que je fais moins de faute de grammaire en anglais que tu en fais en français.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:15 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I sort of agree with you, but to play Devil's Advocate, why do you think the All Star voters were right and the Hall of Fame is wrong?
The writers are not perfect. They consistently underrate defensive defensemen on bad teams (which Boivin was for a time) and at least for a time overrated scoring defensemen (though I'm not convinced that this still happens). The writers can be fooled one year, maybe two, but you're not going to "fool" them every season over your entire career, especially not in the O6 era when they saw every player quite regularly.

The all-star voting results give us a longitudinal look at a player's career, which is always going to be more accurate than judging greatness based on a single binary decision, in or out. When combined with a look at things like games played and point production, they also give us a pretty good idea of the player's development, his peaks and valleys, and how his health affected his career.

We know that there has occasionally been some collusion among the writers, at least within a given city, which most likely cost Ray Bourque a Hart (in favor of Messier), for example. Nevertheless, the writers are a large body of voters with little reason to collude, and almost no reason to persistently collude over time. The veteran's committee (which is how Boivin got in), on the other hand, consists of just a handful of voters, many of whom know each other well. The potential for collusive or "agenda-driven" voting in this environment is many times higher, and it only takes a single spiked vote for an undeserving player to be enshrined forever.

I doubt you really disagree with most of this, but I thought I'd answer your question as best I could because it is a topic worth discussing.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Je suis certain que je fais moins de faute de grammaire en anglais que tu en fais en français.
Writing in a second language is always difficult, and you do it very well, Eagle.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:21 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Shutt is one of the steals IMO - his post-season all star's, goal finishes, and playoffs are very high for this point.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Viking Maniacs selects Daniel Sedin.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:25 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Writing in a second language is always difficult, and you do it very well, Eagle.
Thanks, I'm actually answering MadArcand in a 'tongue in cheek' kind of manner. I actually like when people correct my English mistakes, as I thrive to perfect myself.

In an unrelated matter, can someone take a two-man list, with a little writing for our next selection? I won't be around for the next 2-3 hours. EDIT: well, I guess I will select now!

EDIT#2: Yes M_B, I feel foolish now for not selecting Shutt at #274 & take Boivin at #280, especially considering that Nik was in between our selections with Guy Lafleur on his team. Hopefully my co-GM isn't too angry that I dropped the ball on this one. I still really like the player we are getting here, and I was 'flip flopping' between those two in my head.

Pick in 5 minutes.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:34 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Viking Maniacs selects Daniel Sedin.
This is a huge ****block for Mark.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:37 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

Shutt typically stayed back on the boards as the short option on the breakout, allowing Lafleur free reign down the ice. Typically if the Canadiens broke out on the right side it was either a long pass to Lafleur or a rush by Robinson or Savard. More often it was a short pass to Shutt on the left.

Shutt would also often take a wide lane on the rush to give Lafleur more space to cut into the middle.

Other LWs could also certainly make these adjustments but we know Shutt did so very effectively.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
This is a huge ****block for Mark.
Are there some unwritten rule here that i as a rookie have missed, or just a joke? I became heavily disillusioned after a while scouting here, mainly becouse i had missed that two particular players had allready been taken. Not strange that they seemed like perfect fits.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:58 AM
EagleBelfour

With our tenth selection, the 280th overall in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Québec are very please to select, from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, RW/LW/D Alf Smith

''We are very please to complete our second line by selecting versatile winger Alf Smith. One of the toughest, meanest and most able instigator forward of his generation, Smith is the kind of player you hate to play against, but love to have on your side. However, although recognize as one of the dirtiest player of his era, Alf Smith brings much more to the table. An accomplish goalscorer, a great playmaker, he could make room for his teammate, check and handle the opposition top players and he was an excellent leader. We ought to believe that the opposition will think twice before taking liberty on his linemate Eric Lindros, or any other players on his squad for that matter.''

Old
02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Are there some unwritten rule here that i as a rookie have missed, or just a joke? I became heavily disillusioned after a while scouting here, mainly becouse i had missed that two particular players had allready been taken. Not strange that they seemed like perfect fits.
No unwritten rule, no problem. If Mark wanted both Sedins he was free to trade for back to back picks.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:13 AM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators are pleased to select C/RW/SOB Phil Watson

Watson, a RHS who played centre and right wing, was a great skater, a great checker, a great playmaker, and the most hated player in the league in his prime.

Link to previous bio by nik jr: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=232

Closed Thread