HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the Best Long term ?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Agreed! Having EK possibly NEVER be as good as he was at 22 is totally worth another Daigle! Or another Phillips! Or maybe we would get really lucky and draft a guy like Stefan!
As i said nothing can replace a healthy karlsson right now.

BUT IF ( I hope there is a good chance) Karlsson makes a successful recovery than it will put us over the top.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I'm sorry, but Karlsson had the potential to become one of the greatest defenseman in the history of the NHL. He was playing the sort of game that no one else has ever done. There is a very real chance he never reaches those heights because he doesn't regain that explosive first step acceleration that he had.

You can go through years of 1st overall picks without getting a guy like that.
There is also a very real chance he recovers. Its all speculation right now.

... but if he does, Well be the best team in the world for the next 15 years.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Long Username View Post
As i said nothing can replace a healthy karlsson right now.

BUT IF ( I hope there is a good chance) Karlsson makes a successful recovery than it will put us over the top.
People are freaking out still, but it's quite likely that Karlsson will make a full recovery from his lacerated tendon.

I'm actually surprised more people on here aren't foaming at the mouth now that we could get a top5 pick. People here tend to love that ****.

Anyway, I see it as a silver lining. Alfie has to be traded though; I want him to actually have a chance at the Stanley Cup this year.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Assemble!

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Robert Lang was the last guy I remember with a severed achilles that came back to play. Noew the guy was never a burner before the injury, but I do remember him being slower when he came back.

Anyone else know?
Yeah lang was great up till then, never the same after. I think he lead the canadiens in pts and goals through half the season, then....

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I think 2011 put it into perspective that a top draft pick isn't what it takes to turn the team around. Sure MZ is a great prospect and I love having him, but we found a way to succeed without him.

I want a team that gets good by winning together, not by accumulating high picks.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:30 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Yeah lang was great up till then, never the same after. I think he lead the canadians in pts and goals through half the season, then....
This is like comparing apples and oranges.

Lang was a geezer and his tendon got severed.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:30 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I'm really sick and tired of hearing this business about "surgery now so in the long term things will be better" in the sense that these situations should be prevented. Ok, say EK does his surgery and his back 100% next season. So what's the next season-ending injury that will be thrown on him? What then - another "surgery now so in the long term thing swill be better"?

This same thing happened with Havlat. 05-06 he had 16 pts in 18 games, then suffered a wrist injury. I recall him speaking with a reporter saying he'd rather get the surgery so he can return and be healthy for the playoffs. Ok, so 64 games down the drain. Is this the acceptable pattern now? Get injured, take the season off, and just play in the playoffs? It's not that I'm blaming EK or Havlat but this concept of "surgery now so it benefits the long-term future" seems the path of least resistance.

I realise nothing can be done about these injuries now that they have happened, but my point is that these situations should be prevented in the first place. I'm not confident that the other players are doing their jobs by pairing up with who they should pair up. Granted the Alfie line was on the ice but I think MacLean could have done a better job managing that situation.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
I think 2011 put it into perspective that a top draft pick isn't what it takes to turn the team around. Sure MZ is a great prospect and I love having him, but we found a way to succeed without him.

I want a team that gets good by winning together, not by accumulating high picks.
Huge difference between a top 2 and number 6.

Top 2 you are guarenteed a star ,elite franchise talent. ESP this draft.

Without Karlsson we are nothing. well be top 2

Old
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
source

Quote:

No one is advocating a tank. We have a lot of young players still improving, and you can bet we'll replace Gonchar and Alfredsson with younger players in the offseason.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Benny FTW
Power Bottom

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
No one is advocating a tank.
No need to advocate the inevitable.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I don't care if Karlsson is still the best D in the world if his skating isn't the same. I want the exact same Karlsson.

We WILL see the exact same Karlsson I have no worries. The only thing that I'm pissed off at is we potentially lost an amazing year.

Say we got O'Rielly or someone of that caliber, we continue playing at a playoff pace, Spezza comes back, we have the 2nd best C depth in the league alongside Karlsson and we could have done some huge damage in what could be Alfredsson's last year.

Karlsson wins Norris, gets consideration for Hart, maybeeeeee even wins it. It would have been an ENORMOUS development year. Zibs and Silfv get to see the playoffs again, play larger role and gain experience etc...

It's not just Karlsson's loss, it's the achievements. It's unbelievable how he could alter all these things... Goes to show how unbelievable of a talent he is.

Also, I will not... WILL NOT... even think about him even losing a step. If he does I will be forever heartbroken. He may still be the best d-man in the league but he wouldn't be the best he could be.

I was talking to a friend a couple mins ago and he said, the last thing he wants to say in a couple years is "Imagine what could have been."

Think positiveeeeeeeeeeeeee, weeeeeeeee uuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I'm high as a kite.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
No one is advocating a tank. We have a lot of young players still improving, and you can bet we'll replace Gonchar and Alfredsson with younger players in the offseason.
It's not so much advocating the tank as the fact that a top pick seems to have lost its lustre to fans, and for good reason based on the results we've seen without one.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Robert Lang was the last guy I remember with a severed achilles that came back to play. Noew the guy was never a burner before the injury, but I do remember him being slower when he came back.

Anyone else know?
Bieksa suffered severed tendons in his ankle in early 2010. Took him a while, but he's healed and is playing better than ever. Wasn't the achilles I don't think, but it's the example I have. Bieksa's not half the skater EK is, but it doesn't seem to have affected his skating long-term.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

true story , around last week i saw a sens fan say this (Paraphrase)

" Some part of me wants to see karlsson get injured so people can see how special karlsson is and how much ottawa would suffer without him."

this was in regards to him being underrated on the main boards"
I beleive the " KArlsson best player in the world thread"

ive had a horrible feeling since than.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
barabr10
UM ya that;s right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I don't care if Karlsson is still the best D in the world if his skating isn't the same. I want the exact same Karlsson.

We WILL see the exact same Karlsson I have no worries. The only thing that I'm pissed off at is we potentially lost an amazing year.

Say we got O'Rielly or someone of that caliber, we continue playing at a playoff pace, Spezza comes back, we have the 2nd best C depth in the league alongside Karlsson and we could have done some huge damage in what could be Alfredsson's last year.

Karlsson wins Norris, gets consideration for Hart, maybeeeeee even wins it. It would have been an ENORMOUS development year. Zibs and Silfv get to see the playoffs again, play larger role and gain experience etc...

It's not just Karlsson's loss, it's the achievements. It's unbelievable how he could alter all these things... Goes to show how unbelievable of a talent he is.

Also, I will not... WILL NOT... even think about him even losing a step. If he does I will be forever heartbroken. He may still be the best d-man in the league but he wouldn't be the best he could be.

I was talking to a friend a couple mins ago and he said, the last thing he wants to say in a couple years is "Imagine what could have been."

I agree 100% with this

barabr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
It's not so much advocating the tank as the fact that a top pick seems to have lost its lustre to fans, and for good reason based on the results we've seen without one.
Depends where you pick I guess. Most of our impact players are out anyways, so it's not like it reflects how bad the team is.

If we finish like 10th with guys like Silfverberg, Turris, and Zib producing then that wouldn't be bad at all. What annoyed me in 2011 was guys like Ryan Shannon suddenly catching fire and scoring those game winners. Oh well...

Old
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

It's pretty much this for me.

I don't care if he comes back the best defenseman in the league, if he could have been one of the greatest defensemen in the history of the NHL without the injury.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

" Some part of me wants to see karlsson get injured so people can see how special karlsson is and how much ottawa would suffer without him."

Lmao, that was the first thing that popped up in my head when I seen the injury too. I know who it is too lmao but there's superstitions and then there's Matt Cooke. Two completely different things. I agree with him though. Karlsson is this team.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

No, a serious injury is never a good thing regardless of what happens (if it causes Murray to think about getting another star forward or whatever).

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Magix

Would rather have a 100% healthy karlsson than a 90% karlsson and a top 3 pick this year.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Would rather have a 100% healthy karlsson than a 90% karlsson and a top 3 pick this year.
Well, how we do this season isn't going to change how healthy Karlsson is going to be next season. Might as well hope for the best possible scenario.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
Well, how we do this season isn't going to change how healthy Karlsson is going to be next season. Might as well hope for the best possible scenario.
Fair enough. I'm gonna go read up on seth jones.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
source

Quote:

February 8th

Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Benny FTW
Power Bottom

vCash: 50
Quote: