HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
When I think of Gauthier, for some reason I think of JVR. Any basis in fact for such a comparison?
I don't think Gauthier has JVR's speed. JVR reminds me a bit of Pacioretty, Gauthier might be a good skater for his size but 6'5"ers aren't going to be the fastest guys in the league.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:27 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That group is my top 7, so yeah, obviously if one is there at 8 you take him.

But if all 7 are gone...then it would be quite intriguing. There's about 7 guys that you can bring up as worthy picks in the 8th slot in that scenario.
I have to say that after those 7 guys, I don't know who to pick at 8.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Tonight's game makes me want a mean son of a ***** on the backend like Zadorov or Nurse.
If we pick one of them my draft day will end. We can forfeit all our picks after that

Old
02-13-2013, 03:04 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Tonight's game makes me want a mean son of a ***** on the backend like Zadorov or Nurse.
Quote:
Amen. I figure we'll pick somewhere between 8th and 16th, so they should be in our range. If we do end up 15-16th, I'd look to move up to secure one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
If Habs are picking 8, there's a chance one of Jones, Mack, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Shinkaruk will fall to them. That'd be nice.
Quote:
That group is my top 7, so yeah, obviously if one is there at 8 you take him.

But if all 7 are gone...then it would be quite intriguing. There's about 7 guys that you can bring up as worthy picks in the 8th slot in that scenario.
The sure fire need is a skill player with toughness and there are many of every type in this draft.Nurse,Zadorov,Ristolainen and later Diaby and Morin the Habs need to get size on their Defence.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-13-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He didn't come out of nowhere. He was drafted later in the 'Q draft because he was threatening to go the NCAA route.

He might not have been a high profile like Mackinnon, Drouin, Duclair or Grégoire back then, considering he only had 21 pts as a 15 year old in the MAAA, but he was on the radar. It took calls from Crosby and Lecavalier to convince him to go to Rimouski this year.
Rated 10th overal by QMJHL CSR in 2011.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The sure fire need is a skill player with toughness and there are many of every type in this draft.Nurse,Zadorov,Ristolainen and later Diaby and Morin the Habs need to get size on their Defence.
They have a pile of big d-men in thew pipeline...Tinordi Beaulieu Pateryn Ellis Dietz Thrower(not super big but tough) Didier plus Emelin already in the NHL.

If we can add a big, mean d-man I wouldn't be against it but IMHO it's not a "need" right now.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's fun that people keep to say that. In a couple of year our defense core will look like that.

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

I don't say that I would not add a guy like Nurse or Zadorov, but it's not a small defense. It's a pretty tough one actually. The smallest is Subban who is tough. The softest is Beaulieu, but he's big. Adding Zadorov to that line up would be awesome.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
It's fun that people keep to say that. In a couple of year our defense core will look like that.

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

I don't say that I would not add a guy like Nurse or Zadorov, but it's not a small defense. It's a pretty tough one actually. The smallest is Subban who is tough. The softest is Beaulieu, but he's big. Adding Zadorov to that line up would be awesome.
In a couple years Tinordi should be around 240lbs. He is already at around 215-220.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
I just feel that in the NHL, getting a good player with great size and lots of toughness is incredibly hard to do. And a guy like Nurse is right around a 0.6 PPG in the OHL this season. He has solid offensive skill.

I'm just tired of it being so easy for the opposition in our defensive zone. If you draft Nurse and you suddenly have a surplus of physical D's in 3 years because of some of the names mentioned also developed, then so be it. It's an excellent problem to have.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:07 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
I just feel that in the NHL, getting a good player with great size and lots of toughness is incredibly hard to do. And a guy like Nurse is right around a 0.6 PPG in the OHL this season. He has solid offensive skill.

I'm just tired of it being so easy for the opposition in our defensive zone. If you draft Nurse and you suddenly have a surplus of physical D's in 3 years because of some of the names mentioned also developed, then so be it. It's an excellent problem to have.
Depending on who's available when they pick in the 1st round, I think I'd rather go with someone like Gauthier or Wennberg and pick Morin or Diaby in the 2nd.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Depending on who's available when they pick in the 1st round, I think I'd rather go with someone like Gauthier or Wennberg and pick Morin or Diaby in the 2nd.
Morin is out 6-8 weeks with an Upper Body injury so that may drop his stock a bit.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

Gorges doesn't look that big... he's getting handle by most big forwards.

Subban, Emelin and Tinordi are beasts. If Ellis, Dietz or Thrower make it, our defense will be big enough... but as of now, it's pretty small.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
le_sean

Quote:

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

Big guys, but the only "mean" one there is Tinordi. Emelin hits like a truck, yes, but he doesn't do much in terms of intimidating after the whistle or crease clearing.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Hockey 360 did a feature on Zykov that was broadcasted tonight. Kid already speaks decent english. Seems very happy in Baie-Comeau.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Emile Poirier with 3G and an assist to break out of his slump.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Big guys, but the only "mean" one there is Tinordi. Emelin hits like a truck, yes, but he doesn't do much in terms of intimidating after the whistle or crease clearing.
Beaulieu and Subban are willing to fight, but probably shouldn't.

I wouldn't be against another big defenseman who plays physical like Zadorov, Ristolainen or Nurse, but it depends what else is left of course. Having Zadorov and Tinordi both on the blueline in a few years would be kind of awesome I must admit.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Subban asked Holzer out last saturday

Why shouldnt Beaulieu fight ? If its not against a primate I'm fine with it the kid is tough as nail

Old
02-13-2013, 09:10 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Emile Poirier with 3G and an assist to break out of his slump.
I was there.
Yeah, he played great.

But, I mean... they were playing a junior A team out there. The Screaming Eagles are possibly the worst junior team I watched.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Donald Audette (Habs' Q scout) was sighted Sunday in Victoriaville. The Olympiques were in town. He was most likely there for Diaby and Poirier. With an outside chance for Réway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Rated 10th overal by QMJHL CSR in 2011.
There you go.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

Why shouldnt Beaulieu fight ? If its not against a primate I'm fine with it the kid is tough as nail
I mean he needs to choose his battles since that's not what he's there for, but personally I'm fine with everyone who can handle themselves fighting from time to time. I just don't want Bealieu to live in the box when he projects as a power play weapon.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Subban is tough to play against, he's pretty mean along the boards. Just ask Crosby. He's annoying to play against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

I wouldn't be against another big defenseman who plays physical like Zadorov, Ristolainen or Nurse, but it depends what else is left of course. Having Zadorov and Tinordi both on the blueline in a few years would be kind of awesome I must admit.
Does Zadorov fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post

Beaulieu is an underrated fighter. I've never witnessed him lose a fight.

Told you guys I'd come back with my thoughts of last night's game. Mantha was a consistent threat, he was robbed by Chouinard on a breakaway that came out of nowhere when he blasted through Sherbrooke's first D pairing (Tassi and Neill) like it was nothing. Sherbrooke is not a strong team by any mean, but their D is their strenght, its very young, but talented and solid. He displayed pretty good acceleration for a big guy like that. Sometimes you feel he hangs on the puck for too long, but that's not a problem of IQ. He's a pretty adamant playmaker too. On the PP, the puck always comes by him, he's the one who creates plays. He plays on the right side, so he's always open for one-timers and loves to sneak backdoor. Seems to be really hard to cover him for a pass, he gets open all the time. What impressed me the most about him tonight is his puck handling, which seemed improved to me from the last game I saw him live. Yes he is 6'4 and his reach helps his put the puck away from defenders, but there aren't many players in the 'Q that can dangle like him through defenders. He was also pretty good on PK tonight, yes the Phoenix lack talent, but he didn't give them much chance to setup their PP.

Dunn was playing with Mantha on the 1st line as one of the Henley bros was suspended and he had a pretty good game. I agree with those who say he'll be a good agitator in the NHL. He's a pretty physical player and can score goals too. He's a pretty good skater and is already solid on his skates as a 17 year old. He was looking for a partner to dance all night, but Lebel didn't feel like it and Laverdure had already beaten Hester up. He's a guy that on some nights walks the line when it comes to dirtiness but it's never bad to have one of those on your side. He's only 5'11, but he's thick. He'll be a Pro.

Also, he's not available this year, but I came away impressed yet again by Nicolas Aubé-Kubel tonight. Him and Anthony Richard are pretty impressive as 16 year olds, yes they play against weaker oppositions than 'say Audette or Deslauriers, but those two are to watch for next year's draft. Especially Aubé-Kubel. He might very well be the best player from the 'Q draft this season. Very talented and very mature in his game.

I noticed the presence of a few scouts tonight at the game, but no faces that I recognized. Can't tell you if they were from NHL teams or 'Q ones.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 02-13-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Koivu 11

Quote:

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

I know what you're saying and I agree, but Gorges does get out muscled all the time and isn't a guy that wears you down with the body. Beaulieu is listed at 191 lbs most places...waiting 2 years to project him at 220 and play physical is hopeful. Tinordi will def help alot in that aspect but I'm definitely not against acquiring a big 6'4 capable NHL defenseman who can replace Bouillion on a nightly basis right now.

With that being said, I think we draft forwards high to try and snag someone with a high enough talent level to play with Chuckie, get him someone with size and high skill level. Maybe an Erne or Mantha if we pick around 15...

Old
02-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Donald Audette (Habs' Q scout) was sighted Sunday in Victoriaville. The Olympiques were in town. He was most likely there for Diaby and Poirier. With an outside chance for Réway.

There you go.
Reway is indeed really offensively talented....but there is so much work to do everywhere else. He'd have to fall a little for me so I'd be interested in him. Contrary to Poirier and Diaby who I'm extremely interested. Diaby is incredibly raw but that can pay off so much. It can go either way for him. Might be great...might be Jason Doig. But I'd take a chance on him real soon. Same for Poirier. Remains to be seen as far as his ceiling is concerned, but he looks already so poised and matured. Only question mark is his offensive upside at the higher level.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Reway is indeed really offensively talented....but there is so much work to do everywhere else. He'd have to fall a little for me so I'd be interested in him. Contrary to Poirier and Diaby who I'm extremely interested. Diaby is incredibly raw but that can pay off so much. It can go either way for him. Might be great...might be Jason Doig. But I'd take a chance on him real soon. Same for Poirier. Remains to be seen as far as his ceiling is concerned, but he looks already so poised and matured. Only question mark is his offensive upside at the higher level.
I got with you on Réway. I would jump on him if he's there in the 5th round for instance. And the question mark offensively on Poirier is exactly what makes me think he will drop to the 3rd round. Can't wait to see him play with confidence Friday in Sherbrooke.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:24 AM
Dada

Quote:

Subban (6ft, 215lbs)
Gorges (6ft1, 205lbs)
Tinordi (6ft7, 225lbs)
Emelin (6ft2, 220lbs)
Beaulieu (6ft3, 220lbs)

Ristolainen is listed at 6ft3, but anybody knows if he uses is body to punish fowards? Didn't see him play that much

Closed Thread