HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Anthony Mantha - Val d'Or, QMJHL (2013, 20th overall, Detroit)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
reffree

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot when he was coming out of the Q. His work ethic is far too questionable for my liking.
And to be fair, in Pouliot coming out party he still only had 65pts in 67 games. Pouliot was a "new" guy with all the skill in the world, he just never produce at any level. And seeing him play every game last year has a B's fan, the cause to his lack of production isn't effort.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
From Mantha's coach:

Quote:
“It’s going to be the most import part of the season for him. (Scouts) are looking for guys who can work hard and win the battles one-on-one, the playoffs is exactly that,” Durocher said. “We are going to see the way he’s going to use his body.

“He can be in the first 10, he can be in the first 20, he can be in the first 30, and it’s all going to depend on how he plays in the playoffs. The scouts are unanimous about his game, he’s a real sniper.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/matur...g-up-rankings/

Old
03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Sometimes it's said that a prospect has a "gun" of a shot. You rifle off a shot. A guy has a "howitzer" or a "cannon."

This guy is different. He has a gun, but it's a ray gun.

A Mantha Ray.
Beautiful

Old
03-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
And to be fair, in Pouliot coming out party he still only had 65pts in 67 games. Pouliot was a "new" guy with all the skill in the world, he just never produce at any level. And seeing him play every game last year has a B's fan, the cause to his lack of production isn't effort.
I've always disagreed with this perspective that Pouliot didn't produce. He put up 66 goals in 122 career games in the OHL, plus 16 goals in 22 playoff games. He might not have led the league in scoring, but considering he was a late bloomer, he was a very, very good player in the OHL.

Maybe Pouliot isn't a good comparison for Mantha, but Pouliot's production looks similar to Jeff Carter's numbers in his final two OHL seasons. Another player with similar production was Anthony Stewart, who went the other way entirely. Not all top NHL prospects light up the OHL to the tune of two points per game.

That being said, I think you're right that while Pouliot is held back by intangibles, it's more hockey sense and focus than effort. In junior, he would often loose his concentration, take bad penalties and make bonehead plays. The tools have always been outstanding though.

Last edited by Hossa: 03-14-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Bump. Any chance this kid goes top 15? Seems like quite the player, scored 50 goals this season.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:49 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Bump. Any chance this kid goes top 15? Seems like quite the player, scored 50 goals this season.
Good question. I saw him often this season. He isn't like Benoit Pouliot. Pouliot falls on the ice twice every 10 seconds while Anthony Mantha has a good balance and he is strong. At the same time, I think Pouliot is more physical (but they aren't very physical players). He is a goal-scorer winger with a "ray gun" wrist shot. He is very dangerous when he is on the ice. Defensively, he is getting better and better. He even play on the penalty killing. He is a bit like Kovalchuk in that department. He is also a good and fluid skater. But something that shocks me is the fact that he can score 2 goals-2 assists in one game and still be unnoticeable. IMO, he needs to be more implicated in the game, in term of consistency. I think he has a chance to be top-15, I think he is 16th in my list (the list changes everyday...).

Old
04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot when he was coming out of the Q. His work ethic is far too questionable for my liking.
Benoit Pouliot played in the OHL with Sudbury....

Old
04-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Torts

after the year this guy has had where does everyone see him going int he draft. 1st round? early 2nd?

Old
04-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
after the year this guy has had where does everyone see him going int he draft. 1st round? early 2nd?
I have him going mid 1st round.

Old
04-13-2013, 10:58 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
He'll be a 1st round pick. Mid 1st I guess like some others posters havee said.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:36 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think he's in the same tier as guys like Wennberg, Erne and Gauthier. Guys who could go as high as 12th if a team likes them, but are more likely to go between 15-20

Old
05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Top Shelf Prospects thinks Mantha's 50 goal season has put him at number 14
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/...er-profile-14/

Old
05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
ForeverHabs97

When I saw Mantha play, he reminded me alot of Michael Ryder. A heck of a shot and if you give him a shot in the slot, he won't miss. He's got a nose for the net, he's a natural goal scorer. I'd love to see MTL add him in our prospect pool as we need more size upfront. (Hudon, Gallagher, Gionta, Desharnais just to name a few)

Old
05-25-2013, 01:47 PM
boredmale

I really don't put much stock into redline reports(after they fooled me into thinking it might not be the best move to draft tavares when they rated him 3rd) but this made me laugh

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2125625/

Quote:
FALLING

Anthony Mantha: Will never be accused of playing with too much intensity… or heart… or effort for that matter.
and

Quote:
-A couple of observations from the early stages of the Quebec League playoffs. First off, let us begin by saying that Val-d'Or winger Anthony Mantha is a first-round talent - no question. However, if we were drafting, say… 24th overall and Mantha was the highest rated player left on our board when it came time to make the pick? Well, let's just say we would somehow manage to find someone else we liked just a little bit better.

Honestly, does this guy even have a pulse? He plays with absolutely zero fire or passion and, as we like to say: If he ain't scorin', he ain't helpin'.

At a little more than 6-3, 200 pounds with great hands, you would think teams would be lining up to take him in the top 10. And we honestly do believe that he could become a 30-goal scorer at the NHL level. But it would be the softest 30 goals in the history of goaldom. And somebody in your organization along the way would have to teach him how to at least spell the word "compete," because it's absolutely certain at this stage that he has no clue about the meaning of that word.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:26 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
The Q ehh

Old
05-25-2013, 07:41 PM
wej20

how does he compare to a guy like James Neal?

Old
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 150
neal is more physical and dirty

mantha is a tall lanky goal scorer who can be frustrating to watch

hes got scorer instinct for sure but he must be the kind of player who is not that much liked by his team mates hockey wise

Old
05-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Mathletic

Anthony Mantha goal compilation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHN8O...layer_embedded

I'm thinking Joffrey Lupul as a comparison.

Last edited by Mathletic: 05-29-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
VerySuperFamous

Is anyone else a little hesitant to draft him in the mid-first, since he's almost a 2012 draft player (one day off)?

Old
05-31-2013, 10:13 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerySuperFamous View Post
Is anyone else a little hesitant to draft him in the mid-first, since he's almost a 2012 draft player (one day off)?
That's bad logic. There is a couple top rated players born in Oct 1994, should they be overlooked because they born so close to the cut off point for last year? I am fairly certain age is considered when projecting where a player is now and where they will be in the future, but it shouldn't be something to hold you back from drafting a player if you feel he will be good in the future.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
For those who watched him a lot, would Eric Daze be a good comparison?

Similar size, shot and neither is very physical.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
bloggerfanthe*

Going with an obvious and stupid question. If you had the choice to draft between Horvat or Mantha and needed to draft a player just based on pure offense production, who would you draft?

Old
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
For those who watched him a lot, would Eric Daze be a good comparison?

Similar size, shot and neither is very physical.
I can't say I watched a lot of Mantha but as a junior, Mantha is a better skater than Daze was. That said, I like the comparison. I think we could find other comparables for Mantha. Kids who score goals find their ways into the NHL despite their defficiencies. Also, on Mantha's physicality. Kid can be pretty physical at times, he just doesn't do it on a consistent basis. Personally, I'm fine with this. I'd much rather see him find soft spots and score goals than send guys 10 rows into the crowd.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Going with an obvious and stupid question. If you had the choice to draft between Horvat or Mantha and needed to draft a player just based on pure offense production, who would you draft?
Mantha, especially if it's based on "pure offense production".

Old
05-31-2013, 01:53 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I can't say I watched a lot of Mantha but as a junior, Mantha is a better skater than Daze was. That said, I like the comparison. I think we could find other comparables for Mantha. Kids who score goals find their ways into the NHL despite their defficiencies. Also, on Mantha's physicality. Kid can be pretty physical at times, he just doesn't do it on a consistent basis. Personally, I'm fine with this. I'd much rather see him find soft spots and score goals than send guys 10 rows into the crowd.
I like Jeff Carter as a comparison. Great shot (although Carter's isn't as accurate as it once was), good speed, big but not overly physical, can play PK, tendency to float.

Closed Thread