HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Anthony Mantha - Val d'Or, QMJHL (2013, 20th overall, Detroit)

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 12:41 AM
reffree

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot when he was coming out of the Q. His work ethic is far too questionable for my liking.
And to be fair, in Pouliot coming out party he still only had 65pts in 67 games. Pouliot was a "new" guy with all the skill in the world, he just never produce at any level. And seeing him play every game last year has a B's fan, the cause to his lack of production isn't effort.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:49 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Help with Anthony Mantha

I don't get to see any QMJHL games here in NY.

Anthony Mantha, 6'3 and 45 goals in 60 games... Those two stats are enough to have 90% of prospects pushing for top-10 consideration easily, but it doesn't seem that this kid is getting much love or press at all. His ranking isn't bad (anywhere from 12-25), but not as high as you would think with those numbers.. What gives??
I've also seen his weight listed everywhere from 165-200... I don't need an exact number, but from that wide discrepancy, I can't even determine if he has a thick build or if he's a skinny kid...

Could anyone give me some info on him...

Thanks!

Old
02-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Had he been born one day earlier, he would have been eligible for last year's draft. Had last year been his draft year, I doubt he would have gone high. That's what worries scouts - he was born only one day away from the cutoff.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

He's a big kid, fairly skinny but definitely not weak. I'd say ~185 is about right. The knock is inconsistency. Shift by shift, game by game, you never know what you're going to get. Physical/soft, involved/passive.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:59 AM
thomast

Sounds like Joel Armia when he was drafted.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:23 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

6'4" by now. Josh is right. I've seen a lot more of his good side by chance so he's higher in my books though I do understand the concern.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:01 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
I don't get to see any QMJHL games here in NY.

Anthony Mantha, 6'3 and 45 goals in 60 games... Those two stats are enough to have 90% of prospects pushing for top-10 consideration easily, but it doesn't seem that this kid is getting much love or press at all. His ranking isn't bad (anywhere from 12-25), but not as high as you would think with those numbers.. What gives??
I've also seen his weight listed everywhere from 165-200... I don't need an exact number, but from that wide discrepancy, I can't even determine if he has a thick build or if he's a skinny kid...

Could anyone give me some info on him...

Thanks!
He is almost a year older than most draftees and known to drift from time to time

Old
02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
6'4" by now. Josh is right. I've seen a lot more of his good side by chance so he's higher in my books though I do understand the concern.
Yup you said it the best. A lot of people say he is the second coming of Wolski; fantastic talent, but don't know about the heart for the game.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
He is almost a year older than most draftees and known to drift from time to time
The age is only a big factor on HF really. Yes it's nice to take younger guys in hopes they have more development to come, but Mantha already has the production you'd want from an already drafted player. Don't see the issue really, the upside is still massive.

Seth Jones is almost a year older than Mackinnon and Barkov, and he's still up for #1. He's not the only notable late 94' either - Shinkaruk, Ristolainen, Rychel, and Pulock are all late 94's as well.

Mantha is down in rankings strictly because of the work ethic issues, he scored at a great pace to end last season too.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:00 PM
FrontOffice

Watched Mantha earlier in the year on road swing through Atlantic Canada. Completely dominated a weak Saint John team one night. Invisible against a strong Halifax team the next night. In saying that, I am still a fan of Mantha and like his upside.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yup you said it the best. A lot of people say he is the second coming of Wolski; fantastic talent, but don't know about the heart for the game.
Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a Pens fans, but I get more of a James Neal-vibe -- Big body, inconsistent, killer shot.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a Pens fans, but I get more of a James Neal-vibe -- Big body, inconsistent, killer shot.
I was thinking JVR as a comparison but Neal is a decent choice as well.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
More info here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...ghlight=mantha

Old
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
From Mantha's coach:

Quote:
“It’s going to be the most import part of the season for him. (Scouts) are looking for guys who can work hard and win the battles one-on-one, the playoffs is exactly that,” Durocher said. “We are going to see the way he’s going to use his body.

“He can be in the first 10, he can be in the first 20, he can be in the first 30, and it’s all going to depend on how he plays in the playoffs. The scouts are unanimous about his game, he’s a real sniper.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/matur...g-up-rankings/

Old
03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Sometimes it's said that a prospect has a "gun" of a shot. You rifle off a shot. A guy has a "howitzer" or a "cannon."

This guy is different. He has a gun, but it's a ray gun.

A Mantha Ray.
Beautiful

Old
03-14-2013, 02:53 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
And to be fair, in Pouliot coming out party he still only had 65pts in 67 games. Pouliot was a "new" guy with all the skill in the world, he just never produce at any level. And seeing him play every game last year has a B's fan, the cause to his lack of production isn't effort.
I've always disagreed with this perspective that Pouliot didn't produce. He put up 66 goals in 122 career games in the OHL, plus 16 goals in 22 playoff games. He might not have led the league in scoring, but considering he was a late bloomer, he was a very, very good player in the OHL.

Maybe Pouliot isn't a good comparison for Mantha, but Pouliot's production looks similar to Jeff Carter's numbers in his final two OHL seasons. Another player with similar production was Anthony Stewart, who went the other way entirely. Not all top NHL prospects light up the OHL to the tune of two points per game.

That being said, I think you're right that while Pouliot is held back by intangibles, it's more hockey sense and focus than effort. In junior, he would often loose his concentration, take bad penalties and make bonehead plays. The tools have always been outstanding though.

Last edited by Hossa: 03-14-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Bump. Any chance this kid goes top 15? Seems like quite the player, scored 50 goals this season.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Bump. Any chance this kid goes top 15? Seems like quite the player, scored 50 goals this season.
Good question. I saw him often this season. He isn't like Benoit Pouliot. Pouliot falls on the ice twice every 10 seconds while Anthony Mantha has a good balance and he is strong. At the same time, I think Pouliot is more physical (but they aren't very physical players). He is a goal-scorer winger with a "ray gun" wrist shot. He is very dangerous when he is on the ice. Defensively, he is getting better and better. He even play on the penalty killing. He is a bit like Kovalchuk in that department. He is also a good and fluid skater. But something that shocks me is the fact that he can score 2 goals-2 assists in one game and still be unnoticeable. IMO, he needs to be more implicated in the game, in term of consistency. I think he has a chance to be top-15, I think he is 16th in my list (the list changes everyday...).

Old
04-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Reminds me of Benoit Pouliot when he was coming out of the Q. His work ethic is far too questionable for my liking.
Benoit Pouliot played in the OHL with Sudbury....

Old
04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Torts

after the year this guy has had where does everyone see him going int he draft. 1st round? early 2nd?

Old
04-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
after the year this guy has had where does everyone see him going int he draft. 1st round? early 2nd?
I have him going mid 1st round.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:58 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
He'll be a 1st round pick. Mid 1st I guess like some others posters havee said.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think he's in the same tier as guys like Wennberg, Erne and Gauthier. Guys who could go as high as 12th if a team likes them, but are more likely to go between 15-20

Old
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
bloggerfanthe*

Anthony Mantha

Sorry if a thread was created for Anthony Mantha already.

A few questions about him....

Where do you think he goes in the draft? Top 10?
Could he develop into a top 3 forward?
For people that have watched him who would he be comparable to?

Looking at his stats he had 50 goals, 39 assists this season.

Thanks

Old
05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Top Shelf Prospects thinks Mantha's 50 goal season has put him at number 14
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/...er-profile-14/

Closed Thread