HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson?

View Poll Results: Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson
Sens fan saying yes 30 3.82%
Pens fan saying no 69 8.78%
Yes 175 22.26%
No 512 65.14%
Voters: 786. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
FilthyNote*

vCash: 500
I don't want to believe that he had intent. I really like the Sens but am trying not to be bias.

Voted "no" more or less hoping I am right.

He did take him into the boards kind of ackward but hard to believe that he would be THAT good at being able to injure like that. It was almost so easy looking that it doesn't make sense to be planned.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:39 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

I don't think it was intentional, but he really put himself into a real awkward position. Probably could have been avoided.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:40 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
running around with knife blades on your feet requires you to always be in control of them.
Cooke was not. intentional maybe not, but reckless yes.
Deserving of punishment yes, for recklessly endangering the career of another player.
The sad part is that this is now a pattern in his career.
So when a player falls, and accidentally hits another player with his skate, its his fault for not being in control?

When a player is skating and lifting his feet off the ice to move, and in turn hits another player, he should be suspended too?

Should we now suspend players for accidental high sticking penalties? I mean you're skating around with weapons in your hands so I guess you have to always be in control of that too?

Every time a player lays a hit, he is technically endangering the career of another player.

Everytime a player shoots the puck "recklessly" and doesn't go where they want it too, theyre endangering the career of a player. So should Chara be suspended if his slapshot gets away from him one time and gives Gonchar a concussion? It was a "careless" play by Chara according to your theory.

Again, I hate Cooke... but I honestly wonder if any of the posters saying it was intentional played ANY level of competitive hockey, and really just have no idea how quickly an NHL game is played.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Take a closer look. All his weight is on his right leg. He stomps his left foot down before pulling it away. It wasn't for "balance" and this wasn't a pin play. He doesn't even attempt to pin him.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM
northeastern

I hate cooke. I have no idea why his skate was in the air... Did he mean to cut him probably not but he was being reckless and could have just ended/hurt another star players career.

cooke does not belong in this league in my opinion he's either an evil person or has terrible luck. either way stars need to stop being hurt by him.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post

Take a closer look. All his weight is on his right leg. He stomps his left foot down before pulling it away. It wasn't for "balance" and this wasn't a pin play. He doesn't even attempt to pin him.
Pretty much this

02-13-2013, 11:51 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I hate cooke. I have no idea why his skate was in the air... Did he mean to cut him probably not but he was being reckless and could have just ended/hurt another star players career.

cooke does not belong in this league in my opinion he's either an evil person or has terrible luck. either way stars need to stop being hurt by him.
A lot of people have actually explained why his skate was in the air. Many ex-players have explained it. If Senators fans were watching during the broadcast, they had it illustrated for them. He was hitting and pinning him against the wall in a manner that has been done countless times. If the number 00 was on his Jersey, that would have been awkward, and no one would have said boo about it.

It sucks that Karlsson got hurt. I don't think it was intentional. And taking a bang-bang, super fast play and breaking it down in super slow motion zapruder-style isn't really a good way of gauging intent.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:52 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:

And how did he know to put his skate right on Karlsson heel when he was looking the complete opposite direction?

Do you think Cooke was skating into the corner and in a split second play thinking "I'm going to slit Karlsson ankle by stomping on him while I look the other way so no one notices what I'm doing"....? REALLY??

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:54 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Nope. That's a pretty hard ****ing thing to orchestrate in the moment like that

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:

Ya, i dont see any pin.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I'm calling him a reckless hitter.
You said there was intent to injure.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Erz8771

vCash: 100
Watching this in slow mo is silly. I dont care how good of a skater and how good your balance is. To strategically push your skate blade down at that moment on that spot on Karlssons leg is like me scoring on Brodeur, its total luck. Basically what im saying is it was a freak accident.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erz8771 View Post
Watching this in slow mo is silly. I dont care how good of a skater and how good your balance is. To strategically push your skate blade down at that moment on that spot on Karlssons leg is like me scoring on Brodeur, its total luck. Basically what im saying is it was a freak accident.
I disagree a little bit. I think the motion and balance of the play isn't hard to replicate for any NHL player. What's much harder to do is to actually hold your skate at the perfect angle to cause the laceration, that's what makes me lean towards freak accident.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 AM
XX
... Waiting

Even if he did, how are you going to prove it? A polygraph? Non issue. If it was Crosby or anyone else who cut him, this wouldn't even be a thing.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Yes, Matt Cooke has a well deserved reputation as a head-hunter (even with his reformed play over the last 1+ years (post-McDonagh elbow suspension), but this just doesn't seem like a pre-meditated play.

When the full play has to be broken down by the tenth of a second, it's pretty hard to say Cooke calculated every step in that brief sequence of events. As fans, we can slow it down to super-slow-mo afterwards, but the fact of the matter is that these players have to react in real-time...there's no slow-mo button for them during the play.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:16 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Even if he did, how are you going to prove it? A polygraph? Non issue. If it was Crosby or anyone else who cut him, this wouldn't even be a thing.
to be fair, if it were Crosby who cut him, there would be 30 threads on the main board...

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Cooke = Elite career killer.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:25 AM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Accidentally on purpose. *******.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:27 AM
kesleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
And how did he know to put his skate right on Karlsson heel when he was looking the complete opposite direction?

Do you think Cooke was skating into the corner and in a split second play thinking "I'm going to slit Karlsson ankle by stomping on him while I look the other way so no one notices what I'm doing"....? REALLY??
Try again.

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Oiled up*

lol no, just ****** luck for Karlsson.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:28 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Send him to Maury. We need a lie detector test.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Send him to Maury. We need a lie detector test.
LMAO!

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
I'm calling him a reckless hitter.
It wasn' t even a hit. It was a way more common play and happens more than times than hits throughout the game.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:34 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
Again, I hate Cooke... but I honestly wonder if any of the posters saying it was intentional played ANY level of competitive hockey, and really just have no idea how quickly an NHL game is played.
I find myself wondering if any of the posters thinking it was intentional have ever worn skates. I simply can't fathom hitting a target that small and that specific with the edge of a skate blade while looking the other direction.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:35 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesleaf View Post
Try again.

Isn't this right after the play (i.e. Karlsson is in the process of screaming/yelling)? Because right as he went down, the puck did go in that direction.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote