HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I am not sure why people have this notion that pre draft Corrado was a good at everything type of player, when he simply wasn't. He was a high risk defensive man who could skate like the wind, a puck rusher and had suspect defensive play.

<snip>

Corrado has transformed his game since those reports. He was used in a shutdown capacity last season and this season he's become an all around D man.
You the man feebster. Or possibly woman, not sure. You the owl.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Optimistic. Very optimistic. Still gotta go through the CHI/LA/PIT/BOS/NYR grinder to get there. Let's hope.

There's value in trading up depending on how the draft shakes out early. If you see teams making value pick after value pick, then maybe trading up is worth it. However, if you see fallers... then hang back.
Yeah - I'm the eternal optimist. Chicago and Boston are looking really dangerous right now, and based on early season Anaheim is going to make some noise in the West.

Realistically, you have to think our pick is going to be somewhere between 22 - 30. I'm really hoping that the Luongo deal (if and when it happens) yields another first round pick. With 2 picks we can probably either move into the top 15 or get 2 quality players in the back half of the first round. But picking in this range is not going to get us the next "generational" player to step into Henrik or Daniel's shoes.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
ZenMaster*

On another note, I have complete faith in Gillis' drafting, he's starting to churn out a solid track record in his young GM career.

Hodgson (1C on Buffao)
Schroeder (Having a better first season than Hodgson)
Tanev (already a top 6 defenceman, future 4D potential)
Volpatti (serviceable 4th liner)

Not to mention, Jensen, Corrado, and Lack whom look to be playing NHL games by next season.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
On another note, I have complete faith in Gillis' drafting, he's starting to churn out a solid track record in his young GM career.

Hodgson (1C on Buffao)
Schroeder (Having a better first season than Hodgson)
Tanev (already a top 6 defenceman, future 4D potential)
Volpatti (serviceable 4th liner)

Not to mention, Jensen, Corrado, and Lack whom look to be playing NHL games by next season.
Volpatti and Lack weren't drafted.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Neither was Tanev.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
You the man feebster. Or possibly woman, not sure. You the owl.
He the coffee, actually.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:47 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
Volpatti and Lack weren't drafted.
I consider them homegrown players. What difference does it make if they were signed a couple years after their draft year. It still took scouting and due diligence to acquire a player that hasn't played in the NHL.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:52 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

NHL Drafting is mediocre, but our development has been great.

College drafting has been good.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:55 AM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
...between 22 - 30. I'm really hoping that the Luongo deal (if and when it happens) yields another first round pick. With 2 picks we can probably either move into the top 15 or get 2 quality players in the back half of the first round. But picking in this range is not going to get us the next "generational" player to step into Henrik or Daniel's shoes.
If it doesnít happen before the deadline then draft day is a distinct possibility. I get the sense from interview tidbits from all parties that no one wants a repeat and leave it hanging through another summer. Plus that 5.3 just has to come off to have any semblance of a balanced roster.

I think MG has done well with 1st rounders in taking all BPA forwards. Gaunce hasnít improved offensively but nor has he done anything to show he canít meet the conservative projection of being the next Malhotra (as he once was).

I also want another 1st. History is clear that beefing up for a run at the deadline tends not to pay off. And if Kesler and Booth perform to expectations the team has no real holes.

Getting a second 1st may make even a conservative GM like MG go for a home run swing with one of the picks and try for a project/generational type. Teams find it easier to do this when they have two. Think Washington with Forsberg and Wilson, though in our case we should go all in for skill.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:01 AM
LeftCoast

If we did move into the top 10, the guy I would target is Hunter Shinkaruk - he's a pure sniper and a good Western kid.

And the last time we drafted the captain of the Medicine Hat Tigers it turned out pretty good.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

If by some miracle we got a top-10 pick(via trade, not tanking), I'm really torn on who we should take.

I'd probably rank my top-10

Jones
Mackinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
Ristolainen
Pulock
Shinkaruk

Old
02-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Shinkaruk or Monahan would be awesome but both will be tough to get.

Anyone from that top 10 will go a long way towards rebuilding the pool.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Shinkaruk or Monahan would be awesome but both will be tough to get.

Anyone from that top 10 will go a long way towards rebuilding the pool.
To be honest I'd prefer we draft a more dynamic offensive player like Drouin, Lindholm, Nichushkin(obviously depending on where we pick) over Shinkaruk/Monahan. I know it should always be BPA, but I think long-term our team needs potential franchise scoring talent over a great two-way centre with intangibles.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:30 AM
The Poacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be honest I'd prefer we draft a more dynamic offensive player like Drouin, Lindholm, Nichushkin(obviously depending on where we pick) over Shinkaruk/Monahan. I know it should always be BPA, but I think long-term our team needs potential franchise scoring talent over a great two-way centre with intangibles.
Completely agree.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If by some miracle we got a top-10 pick(via trade, not tanking), I'm really torn on who we should take.

I'd probably rank my top-10

Jones
Mackinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
Ristolainen
Pulock
Shinkaruk

Can't go wrong with your top5 there, although I like Drouin more than Barkov, and it's even money with Mackinnon. The question becomes who to take in the bottom5. Of those names, I still take Monahan. Would not take a Dman I don't think... So it would come to Monahan or Shinkaruk and I like the far more versatile talent than I do the more solo sniper.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
He the coffee, actually.
Omg now I see it!

Old
02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Mynhldraft mock draft currently has the Blue Jackets taking both MacKinnon and Drouin. Wow. Would really be something if LA continued to struggle as badly as they have.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Mynhldraft mock draft currently has the Blue Jackets taking both MacKinnon and Drouin. Wow. Would really be something if LA continued to struggle as badly as they have.
Wow. Let's do our part to help them by destroying the Kings every chance we get.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

They won't. The added complexity is the new lottery system. It's possible it actually screws up CLB's draft order a bit. That said, with Jarmo at the helm, I'm guessing they make out just fine.

As an aside, I was going through old drafts from the mid-late 80's to the year 2000. Wow, the Canucks draft history is just carnage. No wonder everyone in this town sees them as a weak drafting team, there's a mountain of history to prove it! Some trends I noted:

- DET changed the game by going to infrequently scouted markets when everyone was NA focused.

- Then, other teams made great use of position by doing the same (NJ with Elias pick).

- The 2001 draft for the Canucks would have been good if they had kept RJ Umberger.

-Teams that went boom/bust ended up getting some great players.

- Smaller players in later rounds tended to make it more so than reaches on big players.

- You can definitely get a very good player late in the 1st round.

- 2009 would have looked great if you could swap Kevin Connauten for David Savard (11 picks later).

Old
02-15-2013, 11:14 AM
BerSTUzzi

And Lazar bolts up the new ISS Feb. rankings to 11th.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

I doubt Gauthier will be available in the late 20's but he is a very intriguing C prospect at 6'5

Valery Nichushkin at number 2 seems highly unlikely.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
As an aside, I was going through old drafts from the mid-late 80's to the year 2000. Wow, the Canucks draft history is just carnage. No wonder everyone in this town sees them as a weak drafting team, there's a mountain of history to prove it!
They did have a decent run from 1992-1995, with 7 players to play at least 500 games including a Selke winner and a couple of defencemen who were in the conversation for top-10 defenders in the league at their prime.

But, yeah, on the whole drafting has killed this team through most of its history.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
And Lazar bolts up the new ISS Feb. rankings to 11th.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11321

I doubt Gauthier will be available in the late 20's but he is a very intriguing C prospect at 6'5

Valery Nichushkin at number 2 seems highly unlikely.
What the **** just happened there? Nichushkin at #2? Nurse at #5? Shinkaruk at #13? I could keep going, that list is beyond weird.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What the **** just happened there? Nichushkin at #2? Nurse at #5? Shinkaruk at #13? I could keep going, that list is beyond weird.
I have no idea but ISS is usually pretty good at staying close to reality over the years. I am wondering if the recent reports of the draft not being as deep as scouts thought, is really the players are so close in talent they don't know how to separate them.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I have no idea but ISS is usually pretty good at staying close to reality over the years. I am wondering if the recent reports of the draft not being as deep as scouts thought, is really the players are so close in talent they don't know how to separate them.
I would argue they've been getting further and further from reality over the past few years. They're definitely going over the top this year though.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I would argue they've been getting further and further from reality over the past few years. They're definitely going over the top this year though.
Maybe I am caught up with 2008 still, when they were almost bang on in the top 15. I look forward to Brock's final ratings on the OHL guys, I'm curious what he thinks of Nurse, Horvat, Domi and Dickinson.

Closed Thread