HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 08:23 AM
  #26
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
KP... We can't assume what's been said. If you do the research and look at the facts it just does not make any sense. Look at the begining of the season when Lopez was paired with Webermin. They played well together even on the PK unit. Why was that pairing dismantled? Look at the game sheets. Why was Lopez put on the blue line and Lodge was not, same stats coming out of GTHL? Looking at the facts if you put Lopez into the lineup where Lodge is right now I can bet you that by the end of the season Lopez bypasses Lodge's stats. Has he been given a chance to play forward? They drafted him as a forward. So why not play him against the best team in the OHL and judge him from one game. That makes as much sense as trading your best player for a rookie with a concussion!
Your right, I shouldn't assume what's been said. But I'm not going to look at his stats from the GTHL and say he would be putting up the same numbers as Lodge. EVERYBODY that gets to the OHL puts up numbers like Lodge and Lopez did in the lower levels. Lodge is better skater, puck handler, passer, shoter, and hockey player in general. Lopez has looked sort of OK out there during his time this year and ohter guys have got better, faster. Like Lodge, Moutrey, Addison, Alexeev, etc.

Just wondering who'd you take out to put Lopez in at forward? Perklin: He brings physicality that Lopez doesn't, Same with Lindberg and Sutch. Sadowy: He brings more hustle and effort than Lopez. Trafford: Better PK guy and better speed. Take anybody else out and your dealing with taking out a top six that's been clicking lately. So you can see why it might be a problem for Lopez to get time at forward.


Last edited by Kingpin794: 01-13-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 08:41 AM
  #27
nelli27
Danny Gallivan
 
nelli27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bud Gardens 107 K10
Country: Canada
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
And the Knights 28 game streak of not losing in regulation is over! Spirit win 5-2 last night. Great game, especially by Paterson. Also Addison had a fight late against Broadhurst that really turned the momentum back in the Spirit's favor.
Yes, well-deserved win by the Spirit. I ordered this game on Livestream (decent picture quality), and saw the Spirit outwork the Knights for the majority of the game.
Tip of the cap to Saginaw...

nelli27 is offline  
Old
01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
  #28
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Lodge is better skater, puck handler, passer, shoter, and hockey player in general

Your kidding, right? Is that opinion or fact?


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 01-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 07:12 AM
  #29
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
Lodge is better skater, puck handler, passer, shoter, and hockey player in general

Your kidding, right? Is that opinion or fact?
No, Gilbert just feels like throwing out subpar players for the heck of it.

You want to compare stats, look at stats at THIS level:

Lodge- 41 GP, 14G, 20A, 34Pts, -4
Lopez- 29 GP, 0G, 2A, 2Pts, -9

Night and day. And Lopez was a regular for abour 25 of those games so it's not like he was an on and off guy for most of the year. He had a chance to prove he could be as good as Lodge and wasn't/isn't.

I also understand that there is a dfference in position, D-men don't put up the same offensive numbers, and in what line they played on, Lodge has been playing 2nd or 1st all year. But that doesn't account for that kind of disparity. If Lopez really was as good as Lodge he would have maybe 10 or 15 points with that amount of games, even at D, even with the line he usually plays on.

If you think Lopez is as good or better than Lodge, I have to seriously question whether you are watching live games or not.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 08:56 AM
  #30
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
No, Gilbert just feels like throwing out subpar players for the heck of it.

You want to compare stats, look at stats at THIS level:

Lodge- 41 GP, 14G, 20A, 34Pts, -4
Lopez- 29 GP, 0G, 2A, 2Pts, -9

Night and day. And Lopez was a regular for abour 25 of those games so it's not like he was an on and off guy for most of the year. He had a chance to prove he could be as good as Lodge and wasn't/isn't.

I also understand that there is a dfference in position, D-men don't put up the same offensive numbers, and in what line they played on, Lodge has been playing 2nd or 1st all year. But that doesn't account for that kind of disparity. If Lopez really was as good as Lodge he would have maybe 10 or 15 points with that amount of games, even at D, even with the line he usually plays on.

If you think Lopez is as good or better than Lodge, I have to seriously question whether you are watching live games or not.
Lopez at D has been on and off for 20 of the 29 games, he was a regular for only 10 of those games. I'm going to say something about your subpar statement... My argument is Lopez should be given the chance to prove himself at forward and has not been given that chance. In Lodge's position he would be as good if not better. I think we won't see that untill Lopez goes to another team because Gilbert seems to have some sort of problem with him. I would like to see him in a Whalers jersey with Payne.

Since all of a sudden you wish to look at stats lets do that... We know Lodge's stats... Lets look at players that left the team because Gilbert thought they were subpar:

Sam Povorozniouk
Kingston GP 22 G 7 A 14 +/- 0

He wasn't given a chance with the Spirit but now with his new team his stats are right on track with Lodge. In your opinion I'm sure you would have graded him as a D player.

Carlos Amestoy
Pickering Panthers GP 14 G 7 A 7

Another subpar player with Spirit who averaged 1 point per game with Spirit and is still consistent scoring 1 point per game.

I guess Trocheck was a subpar player also because Gilbert traded him for a rookie with GP 37 G4 A 4 and a concussion but he's also done that before when he aquired what you considered a subpar player at the time, by the name of Grant Webermin who when Saginaw acquired him GP 32 G 3 A 3 and a concussion and he came from a team that allowed him to rush the puck.


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 01-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #31
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
DJ- When I said "Throwing out subpar players" I meant "Throwing subpar players out on the ice to play." My fault for not specifing that.

I knew Povo needed a change of scenery that give him ice time. Before the season started I said he should have been traded to give him the chance to grow because he wasn't going to get that chance here. So it's no surprise to me he's doing well in Kingston. He wasn't going to put up those numbers here because he wasn't going to get the time.

About Carlos Amestoy- I was never a fan of him getting cut. Look at my season preview back on the Spirit board. I said he'd be the perfect OA for this team. I'd rather have him over Sutch right now.

Also moving Trocheck did not mean he was subpar. Far from it. We moved him because we are in a rebuilding state. He's not coming back to the OHL next year and he carries value. So why keep him this year if we aren't making a run and we can get something in return that could help us for years down the road. While the return on that trade wasn't great, moving Trocheck was the right idea.

Back to Lopez- I called him a D player for THIS YEAR because that's how he's been playing. I think he was given a chance to show what he could do at the start of the season. Gilbert will give you time if you earn it. Addisons playing better and is now a 2nd line regular. Lodge has been producing well and is now on the first line. Lodge and Lopez each were regular at the start of the season. It's just that Lodge did more with his time than Lopez and therefore has been given more ice time to grow.

I agree with you that a change of scenery would do Lopez good. I could see him getting better SOMEWHERE ELSE. Not every guy you draft or try to develop will work out for you. It may take a trade to help them. Just look at Shalla. Would he have turned into the great goal scorer he became if he stayed in Guelph. Probably not. Lopez CAN be a good player, he just may need a new place to prove it.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 12:04 PM
  #32
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
KP- Agreed... still like to see him given more than a one game chance at forward

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #33
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Looks like Spirit fans will get their first look at Bratina tonight. Per his twitter account: "Haven't been through game day routine in a while. Back at it tonight vs Sault"

Great news. I'll be interested to see who they put with him on a line and how much ice time he'll get.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
  #34
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Spirit finished up their seven game homestand this weekend 6-1. I was expecting something like 4-2-1. The 3 wins against London, Guelph and Owen Sound were just gravy. During the homestand Sutch found a nice little niche as a hard hitter. Before he was trying to do to much offensively. We got him for his size and he is using it now. Playing with more physicality has really helped him in the second half.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  #35
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
The Glass camp is not happy. Glass requested a trade after the coaching change in Erie due to limited ice time. If you recall he was a -36 last season, since his ice time was limited with Erie this year his +/- looks a lot better. Glass is not happy that now instead of sitting on the bench and seeing limited ice, he's a healthy scratch and seeing no ice. I'm sure that's not what Glass was promised. Players on this team are tired of the lies and deciet.


Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 01-28-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Deleted assumption, sentence was not worded correctly
Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
  #36
prowatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
The Glass camp is not happy. Glass requested a trade after the coaching change in Erie due to limited ice time. If you recall he was a -36 last season, since his ice time was limited with Erie this year his +/- looks a lot better. Although the Spirit did not need Glass, Jim Paliafito recieved a phone call from the Soo Eagles coach, who Paliafito has relations with, collecting on a favor. Glass is not happy that now instead of sitting on the bench and seeing limited ice, he's a healthy scratch and seeing no ice. BTW that's not what Glass was promised. Players on this team are tired of the lies and deciet.
The Glass camp is fine with how the coach and GM are running the team. Please do not speak for them you do not know the facts.


Last edited by prowatcher: 01-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.
prowatcher is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
  #37
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
The Glass camp is not happy. Glass requested a trade after the coaching change in Erie due to limited ice time. If you recall he was a -36 last season, since his ice time was limited with Erie this year his +/- looks a lot better. Although the Spirit did not need Glass, Jim Paliafito recieved a phone call from the Soo Eagles coach, who Paliafito has relations with, collecting on a favor. Glass is not happy that now instead of sitting on the bench and seeing limited ice, he's a healthy scratch and seeing no ice. BTW that's not what Glass was promised. Players on this team are tired of the lies and deciet.
I really doubt you know how Glass feels, what he was promised when we got him, or that the players are "tired of the lies and deciet." And I also really doubt that Paliafito is making deals based on favors.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
  #38
deadstock
Registered User
 
deadstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
I've got Glass ranked as the 7/8 dman for Saginaw. If he supposedly feels that he should dress and play a few shifts here and there as opposed to sitting in the stands, I can't blame him. But he also needs to be realistic of his own abilities. For being a 94 birth year, I just don't see him getting any significant ice time this year or even next, depending on the 93 OA's they keep, especially on the back end. He is not a bad depth option to have around.

deadstock is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
  #39
prowatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadstock View Post
I've got Glass ranked as the 7/8 dman for Saginaw. If he supposedly feels that he should dress and play a few shifts here and there as opposed to sitting in the stands, I can't blame him. But he also needs to be realistic of his own abilities. For being a 94 birth year, I just don't see him getting any significant ice time this year or even next, depending on the 93 OA's they keep, especially on the back end. He is not a bad depth option to have around.
Glass camp is fine with how the coach and GM are running the team.

prowatcher is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:08 PM
  #40
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Let's be realistic I would not leave a team where I am dressing every game to be a healthy scratch on a new team. Would you be happy? So what your saying KP is deals and favors don't exist in sports? I did edit my original post to read "probably" but after reviewing its content I came to the conclusion that since that sentence was based on assumption I deleted it.

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
  #41
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
Let's be realistic I would not leave a team where I am dressing every game to be a healthy scratch on a new team. Would you be happy? So what your saying KP is deals and favors don't exist in sports? I did edit my original post to read "probably" but after reviewing its content I came to the conclusion that since that sentence was based on assumption I deleted it.
Look, everyone knew Shaw and Glass got brought in because of injuries. The team is healthy now, so someone is going to sit. Let's go down the list:

Strong: No, been solid all year.
Young: No, best offensive D-man.
Prophet: No, younger and just as good so he'll get the time.
Ringuette: No, playing better in the second half. Turning into Walch type.
Webermin: No, When healthy he's been solid.
Shaw: No, Second best offensive D-man

The closest Glass would come to cracking the line up would be if he replaced Ringuette and he isn't as solid defensively as Ringuette.

The same idea that applied to Lopez applies to Glass. If they want to ice time, they have to earn it. If they aren't as good as other options on the team, why put them out there? What, because they have some sense of entitlement? That's not a reason. Glass was in the line up for the last month. He had a chance to prove he shold stay there if/when the team got healthy again.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
  #42
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Okay, first of all who's bright idea was it to bring in all these D men? Why would you bring in all these D men if you did not intend on playing them? Give me the injury excuse again. There were injuries up front, you didn't see a mad rush for forwards. Last year Gilbert said more than once that in order to get better you have to play and that it didn't make sense to sit players, remember that? KP unless you didn't get the memo, this is a rebuild year. If the Spirit make the playoffs its a bonus. Why do you have 3 D men sitting? You could concentrate on developing the players that you have rather than stocking up. The bad thing about the whole situation is you made no effort to give these players an opportunity elseware. You moved one player... really? In my opinion the only solid D man is Young. As far as your comment about earning ice time... when are you able to do that if your not playing? I guess you earn it in practice doing circles and passing drills?

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
  #43
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Johnson View Post
Okay, first of all who's bright idea was it to bring in all these D men? Why would you bring in all these D men if you did not intend on playing them? Give me the injury excuse again. There were injuries up front, you didn't see a mad rush for forwards. Last year Gilbert said more than once that in order to get better you have to play and that it didn't make sense to sit players, remember that? KP unless you didn't get the memo, this is a rebuild year. If the Spirit make the playoffs its a bonus. Why do you have 3 D men sitting? You could concentrate on developing the players that you have rather than stocking up. The bad thing about the whole situation is you made no effort to give these players an opportunity elseware. You moved one player... really? In my opinion the only solid D man is Young. As far as your comment about earning ice time... when are you able to do that if your not playing? I guess you earn it in practice doing circles and passing drills?
Look, I'm going to ignore you because you obsiously aren't paying attention to Saginaw this year and don't know what you're talking about in general.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 09:42 AM
  #44
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
I'm glad I never have to watch Nick Cousins play another game against Saginaw. He's a bum and he'll fit in nicely with the other bum in Philly, Zac Rinaldo.

Good Riddance Nick.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
  #45
clearwater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
I hope the experiment is over and time to replace Addison with a veteran player and give Kea and Moutrey some help. The line is missing Locke and was one of the best lines in the league, why change something that was working so well.

clearwater is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
  #46
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
I hope the experiment is over and time to replace Addison with a veteran player and give Kea and Moutrey some help. The line is missing Locke and was one of the best lines in the league, why change something that was working so well.
I don't know if you want to break up the first line we have right now. They are on fire. Maybe put Sutch up on the second line instead. Veteran presence and adds some physicality that Moutrey has seemed to have forgoten to use.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
  #47
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Eric Locke for MVP

There is no line in the OHL that is playing better than Lodge-Ross-Locke right now. Jimmy's offensive talent is starting to show as he has been averaging over 1.5 pts/game since Dec 15. Ross has filled into Trocheck's old center and captain's spot very well.

And then there's Eric Locke. 74 pts (5th), 33 goals (T-3rd), +31 (3rd). The other people that are in the top 5 in all of those 3 categories right now: NOBODY! That's right NOBODY. This guy doesn't have a lower gear. He's putting up these numbers this year on a team that has been fighting injuries all year long to key guys (Archibald, Strong, Webermin, etc). He has simply put Saginaw on his back and brought this team towards the playoffs when they could have just packed it in and said "Well we're a young team, it's no big deal if we miss the playoffs." But that's not what Eric does.

I think back to a 5 point game against Windsor before Christmas were Locke single handedly destroyed the Spits. The game defined his season so far. All hustle, all heart, all the time.

If Locke doesn't play like this right now, we miss the playoffs. Plain and simple. Eric Locke is the MVP.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  #48
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Big block of games coming up for the Spirit. I don't see them surviving this block of games. The line of Locke, Lodge and Ross are doing very well and actually playing over their heads but I don't see much room for error from now until the end of the season. In my opinion if you stop this top line or Locke goes down, so do the Spirit.
On defense I can't stress enough how much of an impact Young has made on the blue line. He's being double shifted and playing major minutes and he hasn't slowed down a bit. Will he be able to maintain his level of play or fizzle?

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
  #49
Sonny Crockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Tonights game against Plymouth is a sign of things to come this month and the rest of the season. Now this is the real Saginaw Spirit, a total of 10 shots in two periods, terrible. Did I not say that all you have to do is stop the line of Locke, Lodge and Ross, who by the way scored the only goal for Saginaw? The people that you really need to stop are Locke and Ross. How many players are -10 or more on this team? Ringuette is a train wreck, its funny that someone would compare him to Walch because anyone that you pair up with him on a consistent basis will end up negative. Ringuette and Glass -2, Glass quickly showing that the -36 last season was not due to the people around him, he can't play with Webermin and apparently Ringuette but then again who can play with Ringuette? To prove my point pair Ringuette with Prophet. Sutch finishes the game with a -4 and Strong if not for the assist would have ended the game with a -3. Playoff bound???

Sonny Crockett is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
  #50
Kingpin794
Lucky 13
 
Kingpin794's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Freeland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Tonights game against Plymouth is a sign of things to come this month and the rest of the season. Now this is the real Saginaw Spirit, a total of 10 shots in two periods, terrible. Did I not say that all you have to do is stop the line of Locke, Lodge and Ross, who by the way scored the only goal for Saginaw? The people that you really need to stop are Locke and Ross. How many players are -10 or more on this team? Ringuette is a train wreck, its funny that someone would compare him to Walch because anyone that you pair up with him on a consistent basis will end up negative. Ringuette and Glass -2, Glass quickly showing that the -36 last season was not due to the people around him, he can't play with Webermin and apparently Ringuette but then again who can play with Ringuette? To prove my point pair Ringuette with Prophet. Sutch finishes the game with a -4 and Strong if not for the assist would have ended the game with a -3. Playoff bound???
Who ordered the clown?

-I'll agree that shutting down the first line is the key to stopping Saginaw (as with any young team). But after that, I can hear the circus music.

Kingpin794 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.