HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think Ghost can be looked at as an unknown and that he really has a chance to be something special.
I don't mean to steer things off course here, but I'd like to know more about Ghost. I saw him play for a period and OT and he looked really impressive out there; he was clearly one of, if not the, best player on the ice. He was all over the place on offense and defense, and showed some physical play.

What would you project for him?

02-12-2013, 01:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't mean to steer things off course here, but I'd like to know more about Ghost. I saw him play for a period and OT and he looked really impressive out there; he was clearly one of, if not the, best player on the ice. He was all over the place on offense and defense, and showed some physical play.

Honestly, I think he's going to be a solid number 2 guy. I know some people might be all over me for the player I'd compare Ghost to, but he reminds me a lot of Brian Rafalski. So slick and so good with the puck. He's got a very active stick and he's very good in his own zone. Ghost will never be a banger and he'll never be a crease clearing guy, but he'll be that guy you want out there in the last minute of a game to help protect a lead because he's so good positionally. He just knows where to be on the ice and you can't teach that.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

with where we're likely to draft, if we're going Defenseman, i want either Morrissey, Nurse or Pulock, if we're going Forward, i want Anthony Mantha.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

You always go for BPA who fits your organizational philosophy that suits the strengths of your organization in terms of developing prospects. Don't draft what you can't do. Draft what you can do-- then trade it for what other teams can do. If you can draft a "sure thing" that you can't screw up, like a Jones, then you do that as well.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
You always go for BPA who fits your organizational philosophy that suits the strengths of your organization in terms of developing prospects. Don't draft what you can't do. Draft what you can do-- then trade it for what other teams can do.
no, you fire whoever it is hampering your ability to "do" and hire people who "do" their jobs better.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
no, you fire whoever it is hampering your ability to "do" and hire people who "do" their jobs better.
In a perfect world, yes. Organizations are often remiss to fire people they have long standing relationships with. I can't name a place I've worked wherein 90% of personnel wasn't basically useless or the company would be better off replacing them. Yet, here they are.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Here's the thing though. You can draft what you need, but top pairing defenseman are hard to come by. Teams dont trade them away like with forwards. The current drafting forwards philosophy hasnt helped the team in the longest time find their #1 defender. The guys we did find played with the team for a few years before they get too old. For once I would love to have a good defender that is young and we know will be with the team for awhile. Grabbing these 35 yr old guys who get hurt or retire in 2-3 years is killing us. We are severely overpaying for them on the downturn of their career.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Best player available should always be the mindset, but in reality if we draft a defenseman in the 1st round, he would be penciled into the opening night lineup before he is handed his jersey. Even as a raw 18 year old kid, he would be an instant upgrade to the roster.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

The Flyers could get a #1 defenseman. They have the pieces. They don't like the price. They want to figure out another way (and who could blame them?). They want to keep all their young pedigree forwards AND find some manner of procuring a #1.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Best player available should always be the mindset, but in reality if we draft a defenseman in the 1st round, he would be penciled into the opening night lineup before he is handed his jersey. Even as a raw 18 year old kid, he would be an instant upgrade to the roster.
Even if that is the case, it might still mess up his growth.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
with where we're likely to draft, if we're going Defenseman, i want either Morrissey, Nurse or Pulock, if we're going Forward, i want Anthony Mantha.
He is a kid that is very interesting. A great scorer and can skate. Has pretty decent hands and uses his body well. Also the best part of hi is that he is 6'4! Flyers would probably be all over him if he was there when picking.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

He looked pretty good at the WJC, definitely an offensive guy, not physical, though he likes to catch guys with their head down. He wasn't on the ice when they were protecting leads, but USA also had a pretty stacked D. Kinda reminds me of Brian Campbell but could end up being Andy Delmore. He's a young D man, so you really never know.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
He looked pretty good at the WJC, definitely an offensive guy, not physical, though he likes to catch guys with their head down. He wasn't on the ice when they were protecting leads, but USA also had a pretty stacked D. Kinda reminds me of Brian Campbell but could end up being Andy Delmore. He's a young D man, so you really never know.
Yeah, I was thinking that he'd be a major asset for the Flyers if he can take his play to the NHL level. Hopefully he can.

Thanks, BCF16!

Old
02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Yea, I thought Ghost played pretty damn well during the WJC. Definitely can see the Campbell and Keith comparisons. But playing a style like Keith or Campbell is far from playing like Keith or Campbell. Keeping my fingers crossed he adds some more size and continues to improve, same with Cousins. Flyers could use some late round diamonds right about now.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Oh, Ghost won't be anything like Andy Delmore. Ghost has exceptional hockey IQ and knows how to play in all three zones. Delmore was nothing more than a one trick pony with a big shot. If Ghost turns out to be like Brian Campbell, I don't think anyone would be too dismayed by that either.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

The way ghost moves the puck reminds me a lot of Tobias Enstrom. I wouldn't be disappointed if he turns out the same...

Old
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
The way ghost moves the puck reminds me a lot of Tobias Enstrom. I wouldn't be disappointed if he turns out the same...
We can only hope he's half as good positionally as Enstrom. I think Gostisbehere is a more explosive player however.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just watched a couple videos of Pulock, and seriously, if we can get him somewhere in the 10-20, I would DEFINITELY move up somehow to get him. His slapshot is nuts and he seems to be physical and physically built to play in the NHL almost immediately (6'1", 200 lbs.).

Old
02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Just watched a couple videos of Pulock, and seriously, if we can get him somewhere in the 10-20, I would DEFINITELY move up somehow to get him. His slapshot is nuts and he seems to be physical and physically built to play in the NHL almost immediately (6'1", 200 lbs.).
Just from reading the prospects board and articles, I get the feeling he has a shot of going in the top 10.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
To me, the issue with regards to the Flyers developing defensemen has always been who is teaching the defensemen. I honestly don't believe that Kjell Samuelsson should be working with our young defensive prospects anymore. Guys like Kevin Marshall, Marc Andre Bourdon, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, etc.....have all stagnated under his watch. It's a shame that Marshall really stank up the joint because I had really high hopes for the guy. Kjell has been with the Phantoms organization for nearly 10 years now and not one defenseman has developed under his watch. People can say what they want about maybe the defensemen they drafted weren't any good, but you'd figure that after 10 years, someone would step forward.

It's horrible to watch how badly mishandled these prospects are and how management seems to think he's doing a good job with them. I sometimes wish the Flyers would dispatch Kevin McCarthy down there to work with the defensemen or leave John Paddock down there to work with them.

It's clear though that Kjell Samuelsson should not be working with the D prospects anymore.
10 yrs.? Time for a change i think.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
To me, the issue with regards to the Flyers developing defensemen has always been who is teaching the defensemen. I honestly don't believe that Kjell Samuelsson should be working with our young defensive prospects anymore. Guys like Kevin Marshall, Marc Andre Bourdon, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, etc.....have all stagnated under his watch. It's a shame that Marshall really stank up the joint because I had really high hopes for the guy. Kjell has been with the Phantoms organization for nearly 10 years now and not one defenseman has developed under his watch. People can say what they want about maybe the defensemen they drafted weren't any good, but you'd figure that after 10 years, someone would step forward.

It's horrible to watch how badly mishandled these prospects are and how management seems to think he's doing a good job with them. I sometimes wish the Flyers would dispatch Kevin McCarthy down there to work with the defensemen or leave John Paddock down there to work with them.

It's clear though that Kjell Samuelsson should not be working with the D prospects anymore.
This.

Flyers should replace him with derian hatcher or perhaps Eric desjardins

Old
02-14-2013, 12:00 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Imagine if this draft actually happened and Columbus got Drouin and Mackinnon

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

Honestly, they would need something as awesome as that. If there is a realignment, I hope to god Columbus isn't in the same division/conference as the Flyers.

But seriously, so many good d-men in the top 15 overall that could be taken. Let's say we did get into the playoffs but didn't last long, so it would be about 18 to 20. To go to up to 11 to 15 to get Nurse or Pulock, what would it take?

Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, they would need something as awesome as that. If there is a realignment, I hope to god Columbus isn't in the same division/conference as the Flyers.

But seriously, so many good d-men in the top 15 overall that could be taken. Let's say we did get into the playoffs but didn't last long, so it would be about 18 to 20. To go to up to 11 to 15 to get Nurse or Pulock, what would it take?
Probably our 1st and a solid prospect or 2nd/3rd rounder.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:51 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

Can't see us picking ristolainen, especially if nurse, Pulock, Morrissey, mantha and shinkaruk are still on the board...

Closed Thread