HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The utter nonsense of blaming anyone but Steve Tambellini.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is basically brushing this under the carpet. Brodziak had his fans here and mostly people that followed the sensible two way play of his. I was a fan myself, criticizing letting him walk myself, and at the time, with other posters agreeing it was a mistake.
No, I agree with you, didn't like the trade much myself. But again, it was a sideshow to a greater problem within the decision-making process of the team at the time.

It also wasn't a hockey trade, but the straight up dump of a player by an organization that struggled to objectively assess talent on it's own team.

Quote:
Nobody needs to "absolve" Souray of anything. He had legitimate claims about the handling of injured players by this org, and its medical team, which the team summarily fired months after claiming Souray was a cancer for critiquing the org. I guess the other play could've been acknowledging his concerns all along and working with him. The team basically undermined their own asset, who they continue to pay for, because poor Tambo was asshurt.
The Oilers handled it poorly, but Souray was just as culpable in the proceedings. Injuring himself a week before the trade deadline in a petty revenge fight, and then turning the entire proceedings into a public circus show so that 29 other teams wanted nothing to do with his contract, not even on re-entry waivers.

Quote:
it was a bad trade at the time and I said so at the time. Teubert? No way. That was the live body? No point. Guy was not going to be an NHL player and plain as day.
We we're lucky to get someone like Klefbom with a 19th pick but even that isn't a given as he has to recover from missing a whole lot of hockey. Could hurt his development a lot.
The 1st was the point in what was pretty clearly a rebuilding move. Always figured Tuebert was a throw-in, and was suprised they managed to get a 1st for Penner in the first place(I'm probably not the only one out there that was suprised either.)

A bad trade? Maybe - Penner is setting the bar low, and Kelfbom is still a ways away.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
No, I agree with you, didn't like the trade much myself. But again, it was a sideshow to a greater problem within the decision-making process of the team at the time.

It also wasn't a hockey trade, but the straight up dump of a player by an organization that struggled to objectively assess talent on it's own team.

The Oilers handled it poorly, but Souray was just as culpable in the proceedings. Injuring himself a week before the trade deadline in a petty revenge fight, and then turning the entire proceedings into a public circus show so that 29 other teams wanted nothing to do with his contract, not even on re-entry waivers.

The 1st was the point in what was pretty clearly a rebuilding move. Always figured Tuebert was a throw-in, and was suprised they managed to get a 1st for Penner in the first place(I'm probably not the only one out there that was suprised either.)

A bad trade? Maybe - Penner is setting the bar low, and Kelfbom is still a ways away.
It's amazing how many people can't remember this. Souray did himself no favours by fighting (again) and getting injured from fighting (again).

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So we have just tossed our other size out the window eh? Pitlick, Martindale, Hamilton. Forgive me me if i don't start writing the names you mentioned into the line up even some years from now. The Oilers have failed to develop the secondary guys with size.
This is a great point. I'd submit that the Oilers are very guilty of placing too much emphasis on the very high draft picks as players who get all the opportunities to make and remain with the team. The dark-horses, round 2-3-4 picks with potential, and flat-out projects never seem to emerge very often in Edmonton.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:09 PM
the pen is mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
This is a great point. I'd submit that the Oilers are very guilty of placing too much emphasis on the very high draft picks as players who get all the opportunities to make and remain with the team. The dark-horses, round 2-3-4 picks with potential, and flat-out projects never seem to emerge very often in Edmonton.
Seems a little early to write them off, they haven't even been legally allowed to drink in the US for a full year.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's amazing how many people can't remember this. Souray did himself no favours by fighting (again) and getting injured from fighting (again).
The problem with the Souray situation wasn't how the team responded when Souray crossed the line with his comments, it was leading up to that point.

He should have been traded way before that point. It was obvious he had requested a trade. A year after we were all heaping praise and saying he should be captain, he was pouting and acting petulant all year. They waited till the last second to trade him and it blew up in their face.

When Souray signed we weren't rebuilding. They should have quietly traded him a year before the injury when the request was made and avoided everything. It was mismanaged. He acted non-professionally, but it was out of frustration with our brain trust.

To the OP, it's fair to blame Lowe as well as Tambellini because they, and now MacT, are a collective.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:39 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
The problem with the Souray situation wasn't how the team responded when Souray crossed the line with his comments, it was leading up to that point.

He should have been traded way before that point. It was obvious he had requested a trade. A year after we were all heaping praise and saying he should be captain, he was pouting and acting petulant all year. They waited till the last second to trade him and it blew up in their face.

When Souray signed we weren't rebuilding. They should have quietly traded him a year before the injury when the request was made and avoided everything. It was mismanaged. He acted non-professionally, but it was out of frustration with our brain trust.

To the OP, it's fair to blame Lowe as well as Tambellini because they, and now MacT, are a collective.
It's also entirely possible that nobody wanted him. That contract was horrendous.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
It's also entirely possible that nobody wanted him. That contract was horrendous.

Ya for sure they weren't going to win a trade lol

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:47 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I rarely talk about the Cole trade, and have not fixated on it. You are the one fixated with it.
I will comment on this one part first, and you are partially right in this comment. A quick glance through your posting history(a pretty good example of single-minded obession there btw ), you only occassionally pull out the Cole example in your history of anti-management rants. Whether it's because you don't think of it often, or you can rarely get past the Glencross/Brodiak examples before angrily hitting submit, I couldn't say.

As for the rest. Looks like you read what I wrote, but didn't really comprehend any of it, so I'll have to bow out here rather than waste anymore time over it.

Best of luck with all that man.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
Seems a little early to write them off, they haven't even been legally allowed to drink in the US for a full year.
I'm not writing anybody off. Just commenting on what the Oilers system appears to do.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Cough cough...Teemu...cough Petry..cough cough Lander cough Dubnyk..cough cough. Those are only the current players mind you.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
I don't know that that is an entirely fair thing to say... Hartikainen is getting plenty of opportunity as a late round pick with size. The issue with those kinds of people though is that there's a reason they weren't first rounders, they are projects and they take time. How long ago was Hartikainen drafted and he's only just getting his first real look on the big team full time now. Give those others some time to work on the holes in their game and see what comes of it.

Really the drafting was kind of hit and miss before this current bunch took over, they've barely been at it long enough to really say if they're any good at developing the later round guys.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Cough cough...Teemu...cough Petry..cough cough Lander cough Dubnyk..cough cough. Those are only the current players mind you.
Seems pretty reasonable given the rate that those later round players ever turn into actual NHL guys.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Cough cough Prendergast, cough cough.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Oilers traded Gretzky, Mess, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr, Kurri, Pronger, Weight, Cujo, etc.

Again kind of an odd point for you to make.

No org in NHL history has ever sold out its fans as completely and consistently as this one does.
They started to turn the tide when they signed Horcoff. SO far so bad.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Cough cough Prendergast, cough cough.
Ummm yeah, he worked for management as a scout - good for you.

Here's some cookies...

That has absolutely nothing to do with my post however, as i was responding to this:

Quote:
Thanks for trying to show up and "put me in my place"....? You might want to pay more attention to what you're replying to however, instead of just trying to make others look foolish - it'll bite you in the ass.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Cough cough cough ... You guys clearing your throat? Trying to ask for coffee? Wishing Coffey was here?

The oilers are depending and focusing and emphisising on draft picks, early and late draft pics because that is all we have! (cept J Shultz who is our luck of the year number 2).

Coff coff coff

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

Here's some cookies...

That has absolutely nothing to do with my post however, as i was responding to this:

Thanks for trying to show up and "put me in my place"....? You might want to pay more attention to what you're replying to however, instead of just trying to make others look foolish - it'll bite you in the ass.
Really, you read that much into it? Poor you.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
harpoon
FOB

Number three on the Puck Daddy list of most disappointing teams so far this season. Not sure where to put this, but I guess the sorry state of the franchise and its tarnished reputation around the league falls under Tamby's mandate.

3 - Edmonton Oilers (5-5-3)

Now, no one expected the Oilers to be a juggernaut (except Adrian Dater). But I think most expected them to be more exciting and competitive out of the gate. With almost the whole core playing together in Oklahoma, I was one of many that thought they'd show more early chemistry than most clubs, and with that collection of offensive talent, and two exciting rookies coming aboard, I thought we might see some track meets.

Instead, Edmonton is averaging 2.15 goals per game, 27th in the NHL (although somehow 3rd in the Northwest Division, because good grief is that division terrible). Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has 0 goals in 12 games. Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle have just 3 apiece. Some of it is bad luck, but bad luck is boring.

Again, no one expected the Oilers to win every game. But I think most expected them to be a treat to watch, and apart from a few miracle finishes, they haven't been.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...0866--nhl.html

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Really, you read that much into it? Poor you.
If you're trying to make some scrambled eggs, you're missing the frying pan....just saying.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Number three on the Puck Daddy list of most disappointing teams so far this season. Not sure where to put this, but I guess the sorry state of the franchise and its tarnished reputation around the league falls under Tamby's mandate.

3 - Edmonton Oilers (5-5-3)

Now, no one expected the Oilers to be a juggernaut (except Adrian Dater). But I think most expected them to be more exciting and competitive out of the gate. With almost the whole core playing together in Oklahoma, I was one of many that thought they'd show more early chemistry than most clubs, and with that collection of offensive talent, and two exciting rookies coming aboard, I thought we might see some track meets.

Instead, Edmonton is averaging 2.15 goals per game, 27th in the NHL (although somehow 3rd in the Northwest Division, because good grief is that division terrible). Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has 0 goals in 12 games. Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle have just 3 apiece. Some of it is bad luck, but bad luck is boring.

Again, no one expected the Oilers to win every game. But I think most expected them to be a treat to watch, and apart from a few miracle finishes, they haven't been.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...0866--nhl.html
Bang on assessment. The hockey media across the country have already started to count us out as well, although to be fair they were kind of stupid for having high expectations of this roster. Simmons, Farber and Bruce Arthur had the same sentiments on "Off the Record" last week and it made my stomach turn.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Bang on assessment. The hockey media across the country have already started to count us out as well, although to be fair they were kind of stupid for having high expectations of this roster. Simmons, Farber and Bruce Arthur had the same sentiments on "Off the Record" last week and it made my stomach turn.
Like I've said before, TSN had us finishing 13th and SN 11th. Not many people thought we were a playoff team.

If anything it's the offense that's been a huge disappointment. When (or if) that gets going things will start to balance out a bit.

It's unfathomable to think a team with this much talent will be in the bottom echelon of offense for very long.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Like I've said before, TSN had us finishing 13th and SN 11th. Not many people thought we were a playoff team.

If anything it's the offense that's been a huge disappointment. When (or if) that gets going things will start to balance out a bit.

It's unfathomable to think a team with this much talent will be in the bottom echelon of offense for very long.
Nobody on camera you mean. Pretty much everybody on the Sportsnet and TSN panels said that they expected playoffs.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Um... Dubnyk? #14 pick, 1st round. The others? Well, you have me on a technicality. However, Petry was seen as blue-chip and treated as such. Hartikainen was also pretty anticipated to get into their system. I won't even comment on Dubnyk cause he was a 1st rounder. And Lander would be the only outlier who proves me wrong, though I seem to remember that he was another of those "looking forward to" prospects.
I'm wondering why we never seem to get the gems in the rough, why we can't seem to have a Chris Tanev, or even better, where's our Datsyuks and Zetterbergs. Ain't it our turn? Aint' it??

And don't forget that Dubnyk's emergence as a bona-fide #1 could have easily gone the other way. Oilers blew at least one season of development with him when they didn't have an AHL affiliate.

Last edited by elpol: 02-14-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:

Here's some cookies...

Huh? I don't recall this response being about you, but whatever dude.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I remember reading something about how the Oilers have the most first rounders out any team on their 23 man roster.

I guess that doesn't equate to success.