HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
cjcanucks

vCash: 500
The atmosphere at Canucks games is terrible. I'm a middle-aged woman who appreciates noise and loud support. I hate sitting in the lower bowl, no matter how good the view is, because I'm always surrounded by bumps on a log who hardly move except to stuff their faces with food or drink.

I was at the Minnesota game but couldn't hear the Southsiders at all (had centre ice tickets and seriously, would have traded them for upper bowl). We need more noise and support for the team so I don't like the way this was handled. The attendants at the game are so over the top and jumpy it's ridiculous. If other fans complain, they should be asked to be respectful of people around them, but security shouldn't be noise nazis. It's pathetic. It is a game after all and these were the nosebleeds.

Just one thing though, I grew up with soccer and saw many games, years ago, standing in the terraces at Chelsea. Sorry Southsiders, but chants and singing don't go with hockey. It's almost embarrassing and I don't know why. Leave it for soccer and please drop fake Brit accents when chanting. It drove me nuts at Whitecaps games.

cjcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
I wish Rogers Arena was as exciting as the American Airlines center or the Bell Center.

Too bad half the crowd is talking business or on their phones texting.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I kinda miss the old days when the guy next to me at Pacific Colisseum was feeding Knuckle sandwiches to a rowdy Oilers fan. Not a security guy in sight.

Hockey is a game for the rich (to play and to see)
Truth.

You forgot to mention the brawl capabilities with a sea of empty seats available in the upper bowl.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:10 PM
kanuck87

I dont get it sometimes. Are we all just suppose to be obnoxiously loud at all times during the game? I'd like to be able to focus on what's going on in the game.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:35 PM
bottomlesspop

the crowd can pump up the team and get more to cheer about!

bottomlesspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 PM
JAK

Introduce new rules

1) You are in a suit, you cannot enter the Arena
2) You are wearing the opposing team's jersey, you cannot enter the Arena
3) You are caught using your cell phone not for emergency during game play, your phone will be taken away and you can get it when the game is over
4) Dedicated Sections for Canucks fanatics, imagine the a whole end of the arena is filled with guys standing and yelling at the opposing team?
5) You don't sign during the anthem, you get deported to China.

That will start lighting it up.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:43 PM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I dont get it sometimes. Are we all just suppose to be obnoxiously loud at all times during the game? I'd like to be able to focus on what's going on in the game.
Is hockey that difficult to follow that those who prefer it to be quiet can't follow it if there's some noise?

This isn't a movie a theatre or a chess match, it's a sporting event.

How is it difficult to focus on a hockey game with cheering and chanting?

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
4) Dedicated Sections for Canucks fanatics, imagine the a whole end of the arena is filled with guys standing and yelling at the opposing team?
I personally think a supporters section is a great idea.

They'll never do it, of course, but it's still a great idea.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
TheDiver*

I love hearing all this "I hate the suits maaaan"stuff from fans. The truth is that the Canucks are a corporation with a sales staff who are employed to do one thing: generate revenue by selling tickets at a high price. Like them or not, those "suits" who have worked hard and earned a good living to pay for expensive seats put money in the teams pocket. They're the reason why the Canucks have 200 plus sell outs in a row and spend right to the cap. They are the ones who pay the excorbitant prices for food and beer.

As for the southsiders, hockey is just different than soccer. European football and NFL stadiums have 40,000 seats or more. Its easier to have cheaper seats and to allow more fans in and uou get a rowdier crowd by design.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Shareefruck

My thoughts.

- The idea of a group called the Southsiders who does this kind of thing is cheesy as hell, and they seemed like morons. I will however acknowledge that the energy and atmosphere of this game was much better than the others. Whether or not they did anything really outrageous or went too far is anyones guess-- My stereotypical view of them thinks that they probably did though.

- I'm really on the fence about the actual discussion. On one hand, in terms of WATCHING games on TV, I appreciate a good, loud, playoff-like atmosphere. I get why that's important, I really do, and the crowds have definitely been more dead than they probably should be.

However, as a member of a crowd watching hockey, or a guy in the stands watching, and on a purely selfish level, I totally hate hockey crowds and obnoxious *ssholes screaming at the top of their lungs and commenting on every thing as it's happening like they know what the **** they're talking about. And while I understand that the atmosphere might be more important than my own feelings, it still kind of annoys me in that someone who actually cares about hockey is going to want to be invested and focused on every moment of the actual game rather than extracurricular things, but will be discouraged in favor of the groupies.

In a perfect world, you would have a great atmosphere while also having the freedom to buy a ticket, quietly and innocently watch a game in person and not feel obligated to scream like a jack-***. Not sure that's realistic, though.

I don't even like to watch TV hockey in a group of people-- listening to people moan every time the game's not going exactly their way is like pulling teeth. I'd rather block out the outside noise and actually absorb the game/moment, and personally the most effective way I've been able to do that is to watch games without company-- I get more out of it, as weird as that sounds.

I only want atmosphere if they look like undecipherable ants from my perspective-- I personally think it's a bit of an ugly and annoying thing up close and personal. Probably a really unpopular opinion there, as it seems like the hockey crowds are the selling point for alot of people.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-14-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Is hockey that difficult to follow that those who prefer it to be quiet can't follow it if there's some noise?

Everyone is different. Im a bit more quiet and analytical when I watch sports. The last thing I want to do is have a sing a long. I like to pay attention to who is on the ice, etc. Hockey is much faster than soccer. Uou dont have lulls in play where you need songs, chants and drjms to entertain yourself.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
*Injektilo

So much ignorance in this thread.

This is not about football/soccer vs. hockey. This is about culture - period.

Having lived and attended soccer and hockey games on both sides of the Atlantic, I think I can speak with a modicum of knowledge on this topic. And it comes down to European culture vs. North American culture. Europeans like to cheer/chant at games. North Americans don't. That's all there is to it.

You just need to check out how European fans do when they're at hockey games - hint hint, it's not all that different from what they do at soccer games.

For those who take this opportunity to take a piss on soccer and its fans - we get it. You don't like it. But just a word of advice that applies in general: When you revel on your ignorance on a particular topic, it's best not to voice your opinion on it, as you take the risk to looking like an idiot more than anything else.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
My thoughts.

- The idea of a group called the Southsiders who does this kind of thing is cheesy as hell

- I'm really on the fence about the actual discussion. On one hand, in terms of WATCHING games on TV, I appreciate a good, loud, playoff-like atmosphere. I get why that's important, I really do, and the crowds have definitely been more dead than they probably should be.

However, as a member of a crowd watching hockey, or a guy in the stands watching, and on a purely selfish level, I totally hate hockey crowds and obnoxious *ssholes screaming at the top of their lungs and commenting on every thing as it's happening like they know what the **** they're talking about. And while I understand that the atmosphere might be more important than my own feelings, it still kind of annoys me in that someone who actually cares about hockey is going to want to be invested and focused on every moment of the actual game rather than extracurricular things, but will be discouraged in favor of the groupies.

In a perfect world, you would have a great atmosphere while also having the freedom to buy a ticket, quietly and innocently watch a game in person and not feel obligated to scream like a jack-***. Not sure that's realistic, though.

I don't even like to watch TV hockey in a group of people-- listening to people moan every time the game's not going exactly their way is like pulling teeth.

I only want atmosphere if they look like ants from my perspective-- I personally think it's a bit of an ugly and annoying thing up close and personal.
Exactly... and this can be extrapolated to nearly every interaction I have with large groups of people.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
Introduce new rules

1) You are in a suit, you cannot enter the Arena
2) You are wearing the opposing team's jersey, you cannot enter the Arena
3) You are caught using your cell phone not for emergency during game play, your phone will be taken away and you can get it when the game is over
5) You don't sign during the anthem, you get deported to China.

That will start lighting it up.
Break all the above rules....

Death or exiled to Excel Energy Center to forever be a Wild fan. Which ever is considered worse at the time.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
LeftCoast

I like noise and atmosphere, but if someone stands up in front of me, I'm going to tell him to sit his *** down.

As far as the Southsiders go, I have to side with the WTF crowd. They were in the last rows of the upper bowl. I can't see the point of the Arena staff getting their panties in a knot about it.

Edit: Explanation - soccer (football) fans have to appreciate that hockey is different. The sight lines are different and the pace of action is different. If you stand up in front of someone at a soccer match, what do they miss? The first 10 yards of another pass back to the keeper? You don't block the whole field and the pace of action is much slower. In hockey, if you stand up in front of someone they can very easily miss the play of the game.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post

Having lived and attended soccer and hockey games on both sides of the Atlantic, I think I can speak with a modicum of knowledge on this topic. And it comes down to European culture vs. North American culture. Europeans like to cheer/chant at games. North Americans don't. That's all there is to it.

You just need to check out how European fans do when they're at hockey games - hint hint, it's not all that different from what they do at soccer games.

For those who take this opportunity to take a piss on soccer and its fans - we get it. You don't like it. But just a word of advice that applies in general: When you revel on your ignorance on a particular topic, it's best not to voice your opinion on it, as you take the risk to looking like an idiot more than anything else.
That culture comes from a history of "hatred"/tribalism/sectarianism. Something no nearly as prevalent in the relatively young North America.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:05 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
That culture comes from a history of "hatred"/tribalism/sectarianism. Something no nearly as prevalent in the relatively young North America.
Who are you, Jared Diamond?

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
and....

Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Shareefruck

I will go this far though-- if you're someone who's ever gotten pushy or had a bad attitude in the direction of someone for not cheering or singing along, you're an ***hole, plain and simple, IMO.

If the game naturally has a great atmosphere, great-- if it's not, tough luck-- just let it be and watch the game for the game itself for god's sakes.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:

This board has reached new levels of nerd.

Elbows of Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:35 AM
kanuck87

Quote:

I don't have a problem with people cheering and being loud. I have a problem with those who expect me to do it and think I'm less of a fan because I don't. It's the drunk person who is yelling to the rest of the crowd to be loud while being oblivious as to what's happening on the ice.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcanucks View Post
The atmosphere at Canucks games is terrible. I'm a middle-aged woman who appreciates noise and loud support. I hate sitting in the lower bowl, no matter how good the view is, because I'm always surrounded by bumps on a log who hardly move except to stuff their faces with food or drink.
Isn't this exactly the kind of fans NHL teams want? They shut up, do what they're told, buy merchandise, spend $500 on a ticket and then go spend $100 on refreshments. Oh, and they clap their hands to DJ Dave's music and Fin's drum. Predictable, manipulated fans are the owners' dream.

Quote:
I laughed.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:

It's definitely easier to be completely dialed in and possessed/in the moment about everything that happens in the game when YOU'RE not the one trying to artificially generate atmosphere with songs and cheers, IMO (forget about being distracted by others, which depending on the level we're talking about, can happen as well).

If it were up to me, hockey would be suspensefully quiet in anticipation, and momentarily explode in deafening loudness from genuine reaction whenever something actually happens. That's what it sounds like when you ACTUALLY watch and react to a game--- why amp it up with empty and constant cheerleader enthusiasm during the valleys in momentum? It just feels less meaningful and satisfying to me.

Again, it may generate a better atmosphere for viewers from afar, but I definitely think it's a lesser way to enjoy a game up close than to be constantly making noise for the sake of it when nothing's happening.

I like the "YEAHH!!"'s, "WHOAAA"s, "OOOoohhh!!"'s, groans, and cringes from hockey crowds, but I don't like the "Woooohh!! Come'on, let's go Canucks!!" and "Awww what was that?! SHOOOTT!!" type cheers, personally.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-14-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:

You make a valid point, well sorta, and also a little rude, I'll be a little more polite. You see the debate is not so much Euro football vs NA hockey, It seems to be NA football vs NA hockey. You see people are bringing up the difference between the The Southsiders based in Vancouver, and the Canucks fans, Also based in Vancouver. I admit that people are talking about euro football fans but that was not the issue at large. I too come from a reserved culture, but at football matches the crowd is like that of a typical loud chanting football crowd. You can't say people revel in ignorance, because they find that the local football team fans are different than the local hockey team fans. It seems plain as day. Thank you.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Professional sports is basically a tame form of tribalism. Don't act like North America is squeaky clean.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote