HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
If we got O'Reilly and were smart we'd use him as Backstrom or Ribeiro's RW.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:08 PM

This team needs a Milan Lucic.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Even if he costs just Johansson and a pick I'd rather sign a bull like Clowe or Horton.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If you trade Laich, Ryder is the obvious pick for a UFA addition. Established 30 goal scorer who won't break the bank and has chemistry with Ribeiro.

Though the overwhelming number of right handed shots may become problematic: Ovechkin, Brouwer, Ward, Forsberg, Ryder

Old
02-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If you trade Laich, Ryder is the obvious pick for a UFA addition. Established 30 goal scorer who won't break the bank and has chemistry with Ribeiro.

Though the overwhelming number of right handed shots may become problematic: Ovechkin, Brouwer, Ward, Forsberg, Ryder
Yeah, Oates will make them play with like 10 defensemen and no LWs.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
O'Reilly-Ribeiro-Ovechkin with O'Reilly taking draws. It won't happen, of course. Too complicated. Too many moving parts with the wheeling and the dealing.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
That's why they drafted Tom Wilson.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:53 AM
n3ss

So when Liach comes back, whose out of the lineup? Perrault?

Old
02-14-2013, 01:59 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
So when Liach comes back, whose out of the lineup? Perrault?
25 and/or 17

Old
02-14-2013, 02:11 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
And as I said, he received more ice time than Duchene and Stastny last season. He was the #1 center in Colorado, not the #3. Downie wasn't acquired until almost the trade deadline. He spent almost all season with Landeskog, and had a one of Winnik, Hejduk, or Downie on his right wing. Once it became clear that Landeskog and O'Reilly were going to be productive, that line became Colorado's #1.
His line was not used as a top scoring line. It was line matched against the opposing top scoring line. He and Landeskog had by far the highest quality of competition on the team, with .035 for O'Reilly and .036 for Landeskog. The next closest was Downie at .014. O'Reilly's ice time increases due to the fact that he was on the top penalty killing unit. On that top penalty killing unit, he had 7% offensive zone starts, and over 27% offensive zone finishes.

Quote:
Iginla, Perry, Elias, Semin, McDonald, Horton, Clowe, Ryder, and Filppula are all UFA after this season.
OK, now which of those are actually available right now? Most are on playoff teams who will hold them. I don't see Iginla moving. So that leaves... Ryder? So the Caps are going to acquire Ryder, who will likely be sold for futures, with what roster space?

How long do you think Ribeiro will stay with the team and be effective? 3 years? 4? Ryan O'Reilly will still be a restricted free agent four years from now. And again, he'd be ready to step into Ribeiro's vacated spot.

This isn't the kind of player you pass on if you have the chance to acquire him, just because you have an aging, impending UFA center who's playing really well.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:16 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

He's not coming back yet... Still a little bit to go, just cleared for contact.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:54 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Tom Wilson

Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Sure. What top 6 wingers or top 4 dmen of O'Reilly's caliber are available?
We'll find out in the offseason. Now is not the time to make any moves as we don't know whether we will be fighting for a playoff spot or a lottery pick.

There is a great deal of uncertainty so I am of the belief we roll with what we have up until the last second of the trade deadline and if we are still in the picture we should just sit tight unless a sensible deal comes through.

I would not give up young assets or fill up cap space for next year until the offseason (that includes re upping Ribeiro)

Old
02-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Yes, I'm aware we drafted Tom Wilson but that's a few seasons away. I was just making a general statement as to the exact type of player this team needs. (Aside from the obvious Crosby, Malkin etc.)

Old
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

With Eric Karlson out for 8+ weeks after Cooke stomped on his leg I would offer the Sens Poti or Hamerlik for whatever we can get.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
BobRouse

So let me get this straight...

Currently the Salary Cap is around 70mil and will drop to 64k next year.

Currently our Salary for this year is about 64mil including Poti's cap number since he is off IR.

We will right at that number not counting UFAs.

We should expect guys like Hamr, Poti, Crabb, Wolski and Hillen to be gone for sure at this point.

Fehr, Erskine and Ribeiro maybe back but I'd expect Hendricks to be for sure. We have RFAs in MJ, Alzner, Kundratek and the goalies who I expect us to keep all of them.

So we'd have about 7 mil in raises to resign the potentials UFA keepers and the RFAs.

Outside of Alzner I can't imagine anyone else getting big raises so we'd have some a bit of wiggle room there. If the 8 identified players (sans Alzner) get an average of a 250k raise that will leave us 5 mil to get Alzner signed and bring aboard Forsberg.

Not sure we can do much else outside of bring in cheap players.

Still we'd be in better shape than alot of teams I'd imagine.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware we drafted Tom Wilson but that's a few seasons away. I was just making a general statement as to the exact type of player this team needs. (Aside from the obvious Crosby, Malkin etc.)
lucic is a good player. the caps need a top 6 winger and i would take him. that said, i am not sure this team needs a bull dozer more than it needs a gunner. lucic isnt a shooter. brouwer is a tracked vehicle in the amoured personel carrier class where lucic is a full on tank, but i think the caps need more air strike than ground pound.

the caps have backstrom and ribeiro to deal out tape to tape passes for scoring chances. lucic doesnt really use those. the caps have mike green to start the transition quick attack. lucic doesnt use those. hell, hendricks is better in open ice than lucic is.

when laich returns the caps add another forward that scores almost exclusively from the arc inside 15 ft. the caps have green carlson and ovechkin who can score from 25ft and out. they need more of that.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Outside of Alzner I can't imagine anyone else getting big raises so we'd have some a bit of wiggle room there..
i would let the season playout before you lock in on the goalies not getting a raise.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
tycoonheart

Lucic is exactly what we need, IMO. God I love that guy.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i would let the season playout before you lock in on the goalies not getting a raise.
I'm sure they'd get a raise but not a huge one just yet. Are they arbitration eligible? I doubt either even comes close to doubling their $$ unless there is some miraculous hot streak on the horizon from one of them. Thats a longshot.

RE: Lucic

Any team can use Lucic. You FIND room for him.

But when there are salary cap issues you have to make sure you spend money wisely so it wouldn't be easy.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Lucic is exactly what we need, IMO. God I love that guy.
Wilson could be coming up to play as soon as next year.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lucic is a good player. the caps need a top 6 winger and i would take him. that said, i am not sure this team needs a bull dozer more than it needs a gunner. lucic isnt a shooter. brouwer is a tracked vehicle in the amoured personel carrier class where lucic is a full on tank, but i think the caps need more air strike than ground pound.

the caps have backstrom and ribeiro to deal out tape to tape passes for scoring chances. lucic doesnt really use those. the caps have mike green to start the transition quick attack. lucic doesnt use those. hell, hendricks is better in open ice than lucic is.

when laich returns the caps add another forward that scores almost exclusively from the arc inside 15 ft. the caps have green carlson and ovechkin who can score from 25ft and out. they need more of that.
I agree with you to an extent about needing a hybrid of Lucic's psychical presence with a 'gunner' as you put it .... with that said he's probably the closest thing to that hybrid in the league. He's probably not going to consistently put up 30 goals but he's good for 20 and a lot of ass kicking in front of the net.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Wilson could be coming up to play as soon as next year.
Thats good to hear. I hope he is as much of a **** stirrer as Lucic is. We seriously need someone with an edge on offense.

Can the kid score?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
msrulo

2013-14 lineup speculation:

Forsberg-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Chimera-Ribeiro-Ward
Laich-Johansson-Brouwer
Hendricks-Perreault-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Poti-Carlson
Schultz-Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth

Old
02-14-2013, 01:00 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Thats good to hear. I hope he is as much of a **** stirrer as Lucic is. We seriously need someone with an edge on offense.

Can the kid score?
He can definitely score in Plymouth, but in the NHL that's still questionable. He has loads of talent and he's been exceeding expectations so far this season.

Closed Thread