HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils get Alexei Ponikarovsky from Jets for 2013 7th & 2014 4th round picks

Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
RJK
SHOOT MOAR!!!

vCash: 500
as usual i'm late to the party

poni zajac kovy
elias henrique clarky
jj loki butler (might be a problem depending on the defensive pairing)
cbgb

barch or cam can be rotated in depending on whether the other team wants to play hockey or goon it up

RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
I like Jagr on paper but I fear that condensed schedule will completely wear him out. He was already nowhere to be seen after the deadline last year.
He did have some Sykoritis, and I just remembered he's been playing in the Czech.

It's crazy to think this dude is 41, and hasn't won a Cup since he was a teenager.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Barring injury, the only thing the team really needs now would be a legit top 6 forward:

1. on a team ready to make him available. (Tanking team)
2. a rent or a player with 2 years left on his contract at max. (Too expensive otherwise)

The list won't be that long. At the moment only Weiss fits the description.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I wish the Canadiens would tank so we could get big Gio. I don't want him with two years left on his contract though. Might be a nice addition next years trade deadline though. He would cost less too.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Devil X
Next man up!

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Oh the possibilities are endless!

Poni Zajac Kovy
Elias Henrique Clarkson

or

Elias Zajac Kovy
Poni Henrique Clarkson

or

Henrique Zajac Kovy
Poni Elias Clarkson

or

Poni Henrique Kovy
Elias Zajac Clarkson

or

Elias Henrique Kovy
Poni Zajac Clarkson

Knowing Deboer we will see some combination of these in the coming games. I am also clearly not including the whole forward line up because that would be a really long post with all the combos.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

The Poni trade tells me one of two possible things about what forward will be going down. Either this trade was nowhere near finalized this morning, and Loktionov goes back. Or Matteau is the one to go back.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Welcome back Poni!

This was the move we desperately needed. Well done, Lou.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Still can't get over what a weasel Parise is. No harm done, but it really just shows you how much of a self centered ass he is.

I also took a look at the thread when he was signed by Winnipeg on here. It's funny how many posts were about how maybe he'll come back this year in a trade. It's also funny how much we've talked about it on here, and trading back for him particularly. Especially over the last few days. And how others have said ''Well there's plenty of players like him lying around, so it probably won't be exactly him''.

Also this is our obligatory former Devil move of the year. Every year since the 04/05 lockout we've brought back a former player. The only year we didn't was 09/10, but we brought Lemaire back as a coach. This tradition continues this year.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Stonewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Barring injury, the only thing the team really needs now would be a legit top 6 forward:

1. on a team ready to make him available. (Tanking team)
2. a rent or a player with 2 years left on his contract at max. (Too expensive otherwise)

The list won't be that long. At the moment only Weiss fits the description.
I'm sort of biased, but I would love to have Jagr...

This is probably less realistic, but if the Sens feel like they're out it and they want to give Alfredsson a chance at winning the Cup, he might be available.

I could definitely see a trade for Weiss though.

Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I keep forgetting Anssi Salmela came back in 09/10 in the Kovy trade. Okay so there you have it. We've had at least one former Devil return every year since the 04/05 lockout. Poni is this years even though We've only played 13 games without him!

Old
02-14-2013, 02:04 AM
kiwidevil

The reason Poni was so good for us compared to other teams, was because he was a depth player on the third line. It causes mismatches throughout a game.

I feel, if you leave him on anything above the 3rd line minutes you are trying to rely on him for scoring. Instead of using him to abuse the 3rd pairing Dmen they are forced to use against him. Which allows him to pot his occasional important goal.

I know it's not perfect at this stage but I'd rather have Butler playing with Kovy and Zajac just to stretch the opposing D and match ups.

Josefson is really the one who needs to work to keep his job. Loktionov getting a chance maybe the best thing for this team as 3rd line production is going to really put us over the top with Gionta's line productive as ever..

Here is a post from a Jets moderator that explains my point.

Quote:
Sigh. Treading water, treading water.

I agree with garret, not a happy day. We got worse today, and we are borderline to be able to make a playoff run as it is.

Ponikarovsky was not getting huge numbers, but he was maybe the one constant we've had this season, hard on the forecheck, solid possession, very reliable defensively, a real rock for our 3rd line to be built around this season.

Urgh. I used to like Tangradi, but he has had chances and chances. I don't think there is much if any upside left there. He was HIGHLY prized when PIT acquired him and he has been given nurmerous great opportunities there and never secured a consistant spot.

Last edited by kiwidevil: 02-14-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Disclaimer: I've had a few wines.
kiwidevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:16 AM
Capt Brycey Poo
Im back baby!

Yay, Poni! I like the guy, welcome back!

Im foresee Poni being Petes mix match. "What to do here? How to spark up the game... Ill just add poni to that line and over there." Wouldnt be surprised to see him paired in D

Capt Brycey Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Poni is back

sure hope my happiness won't be ruined by some more ugly news about Zubrusaurus Rex

Last edited by NJDevilsZG: 02-14-2013 at 05:38 AM.
NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:43 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

wowzers wowwies woooooow...awesome news!!!

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:55 AM
JimEIV

I think you've got to remember that most likely any lines we see now will be temporary/not the same come April. So I'm sure alot of experimenting is going to happen.

It's pretty clear though DeBoer values that bottom 6 more than a lot of coaches do and I love the fact that he is constantly trying to find 4 cohesive lines to roll. He'll look for that balance for spring time and Ponikarovsky just adds one more bullet in his chamber to achieve that goal...So I wouldn't worry about lines just yet.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Billdo

vCash: 300
Kovy-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Josefson-Loktionov-Poni
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

The 3rd and 4th line wouldn't be actually be called "the 3rd and 4th" and would play similar minutes.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:30 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Welcome back Poni

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Ponikarovsky-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Matteau-Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Send Josefson to Albany to get some confidence offensively and see what Lokti can do. If it fails, you bring Jo back up to replace him and run with that.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:18 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
He hasn't scored 20 goals since leaving the Leafs. In fact he's only hit double digits once since leaving there and that was last year. And he was one of and possibly least productive forward last postseason. He got about what he deserved.

Scored 21 goals in 09-10, didn't score much in LA, but he notched 14 last year.

There is not a huge gap between his 20 goal days and now.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
So the random russian/finn/swede I predicted when Zubrus went down ended up not being that random after all.

Or maybe the random is still in play... oh Lou. What's in the box?

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:29 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessarmy View Post
Ponikarovsky-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Matteau-Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Send Josefson to Albany to get some confidence offensively and see what Lokti can do. If it fails, you bring Jo back up to replace him and run with that.
i dont know if i see him on the 1st line..

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:31 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Solid news. Poni is a big body who's a force on the forecheck which is just what we need.

The fact that we still have Tallinder who we can move is also a added plus. Package him with prospects plus picks and we can land a good top 6 forward.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I really really like how much Josefson's skating has improved. He can absolutely fly now and his strength in the corners/on the puck is also noticeably better, but he HAS to contribute offensively if he wants to truly become a valuable player for the Devils.

I love watching this guy play because he makes smart plays and does a lot of little things right, but he leaves you wanting a lot more.
He is a great skater, and great on the forecheck, and defense in general, but it seems to me like he has really lost confidence in his offense.

Hope he comes around soon.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
The reason Poni was so good for us compared to other teams, was because he was a depth player on the third line. It causes mismatches throughout a game.

I feel, if you leave him on anything above the 3rd line minutes you are trying to rely on him for scoring. Instead of using him to abuse the 3rd pairing Dmen they are forced to use against him. Which allows him to pot his occasional important goal.

I know it's not perfect at this stage but I'd rather have Butler playing with Kovy and Zajac just to stretch the opposing D and match ups.

Josefson is really the one who needs to work to keep his job. Loktionov getting a chance maybe the best thing for this team as 3rd line production is going to really put us over the top with Gionta's line productive as ever..

Here is a post from a Jets moderator that explains my point.
Just about to post this. The mistake teams like Pittsburgh made with Poni is that they expect him to play top minutes. He isn't going to be able to excel in that role and shouldn't be put in that spot.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Still can't get over what a weasel Parise is. No harm done, but it really just shows you how much of a self centered ass he is.

I also took a look at the thread when he was signed by Winnipeg on here. It's funny how many posts were about how maybe he'll come back this year in a trade. It's also funny how much we've talked about it on here, and trading back for him particularly. Especially over the last few days. And how others have said ''Well there's plenty of players like him lying around, so it probably won't be exactly him''.

Also this is our obligatory former Devil move of the year. Every year since the 04/05 lockout we've brought back a former player. The only year we didn't was 09/10, but we brought Lemaire back as a coach. This tradition continues this year.
Why the hell do people have this idea that Parise was supposed to sign so the Devils could sign Poni? Makes absolutely no sense. Parise took the time and did what was best with his career and if it took him 3 days or five weeks, it doesn't matter. He couldn't give two ***** whether or not Poni resigned with New Jersey and for those that believe he had no interest signing with NJ, then he truly wouldn't have cared whether or not the Devils signed Poni.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote