HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?

View Poll Results: Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?
Yes - he signed the deal he knew what he was getting into 54 51.92%
No - multiple reasons 50 48.08%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
  #51
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Worst fanbase ever, the fact that someone posted this same thing on the main boards make us all look even worse. If you don't like this team or it's direction or whatever then move on.

Stop buying tickets, stop watching them, stop following them, stop tweeting. Stop giving them money.
Hopefully those of us that agree with you will drown out the few who do not. I know Islander fans are frustrated and upset with the state of affairs of our beloved team, but let's try and show some class.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
  #52
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Hopefully those of us that agree with you will drown out the few who do not. I know Islander fans are frustrated and upset with the state of affairs of our beloved team, but let's try and show some class.
OK there is validity in what you say but........

If its true what they say about the owner not giving a crap about the team and if it turns out that the move to Brooklyn does not result in either a new direction and or sale, doesn't the time come when, as a fan, you look in the mirror and say to yourself, "sucker"

lorwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  #53
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I agree, I was embarrassed to be an Islanders fan Monday night when I was at the game. There were so many empty seats it's crazy and most of the fans KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOCKEY. Fans were more excited to catch a $5 T-Shirt than cheering their team.
Put a good product on ice and the fans will come. I used to be pissed at the empty seats. Now I am HAPPY that that ******* Wang isnt making any money. He can go **** himself 100 different ways. He is a POS.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  #54
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
I would be pissed because I would know that means the end of the Islanders

Islanders1932 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  #55
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 3178
I would be very disappointed, but i would understand why he would want out, and I would still respect him and hope to see him have a great career.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
  #56
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Yes because management could not work the situation to their advantage to move the build along.

Yes because we have not had a real head coach all along.

No because I can't blame him. He wants to see some positive signs.

No because he wants to win, like anyone else, and if there is no real commitment towards winning, then why bother staying?

I am all for the draft and building through the draft. I like what Snow has done their. But he seems very gun shy on a deal and a deal is needed to add some size on the blueline, and guys who can clear the crease effectively. Secondary scoring has not been their either, and the need for a true #2 center is glaring. Strome/Nelson pencil in at that slot, so it is tough to suggest we take on a vet with years left on his deal.

We may all need to endure another crap season before the Stromes, Nelsons, Donovans, and Ninos arrive and can be impactful.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:50 PM
  #57
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,590
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Yes because management could not work the situation to their advantage to move the build along.

Yes because we have not had a real head coach all along.

No because I can't blame him. He wants to see some positive signs.

No because he wants to win, like anyone else, and if there is no real commitment towards winning, then why bother staying?

I am all for the draft and building through the draft. I like what Snow has done their. But he seems very gun shy on a deal and a deal is needed to add some size on the blueline, and guys who can clear the crease effectively. Secondary scoring has not been their either, and the need for a true #2 center is glaring. Strome/Nelson pencil in at that slot, so it is tough to suggest we take on a vet with years left on his deal.

We may all need to endure another crap season before the Stromes, Nelsons, Donovans, and Ninos arrive and can be impactful.
Don't you mean a year for them to arrive, and another two to be impactful? That is a long wait when adding the previous three yeas of crap.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:49 PM
  #58
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Don't you mean a year for them to arrive, and another two to be impactful? That is a long wait when adding the previous three yeas of crap.
3 years of crap? You are being rather generous. Been about 20 years of crap. #FCW

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
  #59
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
I would be very disappointed, but i would understand why he would want out, and I would still respect him and hope to see him have a great career.
great post. Same here. I don't think he would ask out before this contract is up, but I would not be surprised if he bolts the first chance he gets once this 6 year deal is over IF things don't change. I think JT is very loyal to the Isles and I think he will give them every opportunity to make the team better. But, if they don't he is gone IMO. I would do the same if I was him. Hopefully, it will never come to that. Only way to assure he stays is to get some players to surround him and help him win.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:00 PM
  #60
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan
 
kk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taipei(fromManitoba)
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Can't blame him really if it happened considering how effin' low everyone is feeling about things right now. I don't believe it would happen either however. If it did, I'd be more disappointed than angry.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:22 AM
  #61
drive45
Registered User
 
drive45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: closer than I appear
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
sad and depressed more than angry

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:41 AM
  #62
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 500
Why Significant Change is Necessary

I don't want to be an extremist and I also don't have the time to write an entire soliliqy or novel to support the title of this thread, but what I saw the other night against Carolina was more disturbing to me than anything I've seen to date during this continual Islanders 2 decade long slide.....

To watch Travis Hamonic break and throw his stick is one thing. We've probably seen this a few dozen times over the years from varying players. This is certainly one common way of expression.

However, what I saw from John Tavares scared the living **** out of me.

That was pure, unaadulturated dejection on a young kid's face and body language. Think about it. This kid is as professional as they come. He's very even keel. The kind of guy whose hand never quivers and approach never changes regardless of the environment around him.

Not only was what I saw not an act nor was it a dramatic try for the camera, it was something that I never expected to see from JT. There have been far worse losses and I believe more trying times that this team and JT have likely been through already.

That look again was pure dejection and what appeared to me as an open question of "what more can I do?" and statement of "I'm at a complete loss".

My fear is that when most people have reached that point, if changes are not emininent, the next phase begins apathy.

I'm praying Garth Snow is a smart enough guy to have seen and read into what he saw in JT sitting on that bench. It was pretty obvious to me that Howie Rose (through his sheer surprise and comments that treaded very lightly but that had an underlying dire tone) saw it. Butch, I think it went right over his head.

You've got a kid in his very early 20's who bears the weight of this franchise on his shoulders. He needs some serious support before this team and organization starts to impact this kid negatively. There are maybe 4 or 5 young players in this league that I believe can bear the weight of this nature.

It's now Snow's job to remedy this -- and fast -- before he destroys this crown jewel. If that means deviating course a bit and making more aggressive move to expedite this growth process, he's got to do it.

It's pretty clear to me that if this season ends up similar to any of the past 5 or 6, we're staring at a defining moment that I personally will lead to JT wanting to jump ship.

Again, I don't think I'm being an extremist here. I hope Snow sees it similarly.

I'm curious if other folks see it similarly or should I just chill?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:03 AM
  #63
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Again, I don't think I'm being an extremist here. I hope Snow sees it similarly.

I'm curious if other folks see it similarly or should I just chill?
I'm not sure that JT on the bench means all that much, but I think you're completely right. The guy is in his fourth year and has done everything in his power to improve himself. The organization, on the other hand, is making moves to prepare to throw in the towel on the season. I can't imagine that a guy as competitive as JT doesn't get seriously angry about that.

Now, I realize that the move to Brooklyn was just finalized during the lockout, and that makes a difference. But if I were Snowang, I'd take that display from JT to be a message that it has to start, in earnest, this offseason - *and* maybe at the trade deadline (i.e. taking on players from teams who want to rebuild). We need to get one of Perry, Horton, or Clowe to play with JT, or trade for an alternative. It's got to happen.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
  #64
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Worst fanbase ever, the fact that someone posted this same thing on the main boards make us all look even worse. If you don't like this team or it's direction or whatever then move on.

Stop buying tickets, stop watching them, stop following them, stop tweeting. Stop giving them money.
Exactly. These clowns should just leave and come back when Wang sells or if it ever turns if they think nothing will change. Save their blood pressure. Some just like to waste time and complain out of ignorance.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
  #65
VT Isles Fan
Registered User
 
VT Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
First off, let me say that I'm happy as hell that JT was upset after the Carolina game, because that tells me that despite what is going on with the team, he still has the fire in him, and hasn't accepted losing.

I'm probably a little bit older than most people on these boards (being kind to myself here) so my hockey perspective is different. But what would have happened to the Red Wings if Steve Yzerman had asked out early on? How much sooner would the Nordiques have relocated had Sakic asked out after enduring seasons that were far worse than the Isles?

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
  #66
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
I'm probably a little bit older than most people on these boards (being kind to myself here) so my hockey perspective is different. But what would have happened to the Red Wings if Steve Yzerman had asked out early on? How much sooner would the Nordiques have relocated had Sakic asked out after enduring seasons that were far worse than the Isles?
It's a different era.

What I want to know is: where the hell is our Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, and Mike Ricci? (not to mention Foppa).

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
  #67
VT Isles Fan
Registered User
 
VT Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's a different era.

What I want to know is: where the hell is our Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, and Mike Ricci? (not to mention Foppa).

Cheers,

Dan-o
Granted it's a different era, but the reality is still the same when you're a number 1 pick, you're drafted by the worst team and things are going to take time to change. Look at the Oilers with 3 consecutive #1s and they're still awful because they have no defense or goaltending.

But I agree we haven't put the pieces around JT like those other teams did (Nolan, Sundin, Forsberg) or even more recently (Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang).

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.