HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Kevin Roy - Northeastern University, NCAA (2012, 97th overall, Anaheim)

Old
02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Saponari is a meathead and though I agree he works hard, I have to disagree with you about Roy. Roy doesn't look like he's digging that hard but then you see him conserving his energy when he bursts up his speed and beats the goalie over the shoulder. I don't like either of the kids so its irrelevant to me but he definitely gets alot of ice time and as such, he wasn't coasting. His actually usually in good position regardless. If he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone and the pucks tied or looking about going the other way, he's already in the neutral zone waiting in good position.

Though I agree with you it looks like he's not putting in the effort, I disagree with you on the basis of it. He gets the lions share of ice time and when he does put on the jet, no DMan in Hockey East can handle him.
On the play I'm referring to, I'm not saying it "looked like he wasn't skating". He wasn't skating. He was making zero effort to back check when the other team was attempting what turned out to be a good scoring chance.

I'm not denying his skills, and like someone said, he's young and can get that together, but bad habits are bad habits.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

this guy has a sick shot, he seems pretty chippy as well. looks like he either makes it as a top 6'er or career AHL'er/europe? then again maybe a team that preaches 3/4 line scoring he could work on? hope we're patient with this guy

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Kershaw

I can't believe Roy fell this much. He was hyped so much at an early age. The Ducks are scary good with their drafting in the NCAA. Kerdiles is another guy who I predict will be a solid NHL player right after he graduates.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I can't believe Roy fell this much. He was hyped so much at an early age. The Ducks are scary good with their drafting in the NCAA. Kerdiles is another guy who I predict will be a solid NHL player right after he graduates.
It's true. He might finish the season with close to thirty goals as a true freshman. The tough thing was the asking price was high for going to school as they had to take his hoser goaltending brother.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:50 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Schultz and Welinski as well. Too bad Schultz didn't pay any dividends.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
North Country

This kid has too much drive to not keep him from doing well in the NHL. The steal of the draft.

North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by north country View Post
this kid has too much drive to not keep him from doing well in the nhl. The steal of the draft.
looooool

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
looooool
What a brilliant counter example. Well thought out. Sure there's been some other good steals so it's a bit premature to say he was THE steal of the draft, but I don't see why saying so is hilarious. He's one of the smarter picks of the late rounds.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
He's one of the smarter picks of the late rounds.
It's almost too easy to "counter example" every time somebody says something like this. The tons and tons and tons of examples of high-scoring prospects who were drafted late because scouts didn't think their skills sets would translate. Way too early to be saying "one of the smarter picks", of any round.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:50 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
It's almost too easy to "counter example" every time somebody says something like this. The tons and tons and tons of examples of high-scoring prospects who were drafted late because scouts didn't think their skills sets would translate. Way too early to be saying "one of the smarter picks", of any round.
Didn't I say "looking like"? Oh. Guess not. Meant to.

And come on. He's the best rookie in the NCAA by far. That's one of the four major junior development programs. Didn't see you rushing to the defensive when people were making a big deal about Gaudreau. It's practically the same situation, only Roy is 3 months older.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
What a brilliant counter example. Well thought out. Sure there's been some other good steals so it's a bit premature to say he was THE steal of the draft, but I don't see why saying so is hilarious. He's one of the smarter picks of the late rounds.
Yep. Not even close to a year after the draft and he's a steal and amazing pick. You're definitely the brilliant one.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Madic

Quote:
And come on. He's the best rookie in the NCAA by far. That's one of the four major junior development programs. Didn't see you rushing to the defensive when people were making a big deal about Gaudreau. It's practically the same situation, only Roy is 3 months older.
That's mainly because I don't cruise every thread waiting for some hype on a dark horse pick to shoot down. I don't happen to think Gaudreau is a lock for anything either, but both of them are exciting at the NCAA level, I have no doubt.

To a certain extent it's like Grigorenko...he put up a ton of points last year, falls, starts doing it again and people are going nuts...? Like scouts thought he'd get worse in his second year or something? He fell for different reasons, and the same goes with Roy, I think. I doubt many thought his offense wouldn't translate in the NCAA.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:34 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Yep. Not even close to a year after the draft and he's a steal and amazing pick. You're definitely the brilliant one.
He's doing exactly what he needs to do to raise his stock as a potential pro player, he may never amount to more than a career AHL'er but if people can get excited about Gaudreau, we can get a lil excited for Roy

Old
02-14-2013, 03:15 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
To a certain extent it's like Grigorenko...he put up a ton of points last year, falls, starts doing it again and people are going nuts...? Like scouts thought he'd get worse in his second year or something? He fell for different reasons, and the same goes with Roy, I think. I doubt many thought his offense wouldn't translate in the NCAA.
The reason for the change in perspective is trajectory. It's the only important thing when talking about prospects. Kevin Roy's trajectory has been incredible. When scouts look at a player, they don't look at what they see today to make a final evaluation. They ask themselves, how much room for growth does this player have. In two years, will this player be significantly better than he is right now or will he just tread water. There have been a TON of first round picks that have gone back to Junior and replicated, with no improvement, their draft eligible seasons. There have even been quite a few that regressed and went backwards.

When scouts looked at Kevin Roy, they didn't see a player who could step in right away and dominate NCAA hockey. If they did, he would have gone in the first round. What is exciting to scouts is how much better the Kevin Roy of this year looks compared to the Kevin Roy of last year against weaker competition.

The jump from USHL to the NCAA is tremendous. Success at one level does not indicate success at the other.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
He's doing exactly what he needs to do to raise his stock as a potential pro player, he may never amount to more than a career AHL'er but if people can get excited about Gaudreau, we can get a lil excited for Roy
Absolutely. And I didn't discount anything he has done so far. I just feel it's a little early to be going overboard with calling him the steal of the draft, just like everyone did with Flames fans claiming Gaudreau to be a steal.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 AM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
The reason for the change in perspective is trajectory. It's the only important thing when talking about prospects. Kevin Roy's trajectory has been incredible. When scouts look at a player, they don't look at what they see today to make a final evaluation. They ask themselves, how much room for growth does this player have. In two years, will this player be significantly better than he is right now or will he just tread water. There have been a TON of first round picks that have gone back to Junior and replicated, with no improvement, their draft eligible seasons. There have even been quite a few that regressed and went backwards.

When scouts looked at Kevin Roy, they didn't see a player who could step in right away and dominate NCAA hockey. If they did, he would have gone in the first round. What is exciting to scouts is how much better the Kevin Roy of this year looks compared to the Kevin Roy of last year against weaker competition.

The jump from USHL to the NCAA is tremendous. Success at one level does not indicate success at the other.
Exactly. The trajectory is key. Once undersized, now maybe slightly undersized overager breaks scoring record in the emerging US answer to Canada's tier 1 junior leagues. He does well at the combine which boosts his stock a bit. And he goes 4th round, which is expected (i know some people maybe had him at 3rd round).

Like you said, the scouts may not have been looking for someone who dominates NCAA from the get go, but someone who could grow into a player of that type eventually for the pro game. I and many others who've followed Roy closely had suspicions that Kevin would come out and score right away, but what matters is like you said: the trajectory. Will he plateau before the pros come calling? That's what pushed him back in the draft since many guys older than 17/18 dominate junior competition to no fruition.

With research though, one can see Roy's development curve is only different in its framework. His family valuing education, Roy only played 18 games his senior year at Deerfield Academy. He played well (34 points), but didn't quite do enough to garner a draft pick (The first player from the New England high school circuit was taken in the late 5th round in 2011). There are some politics to players being selected early in the draft as well. Danny O'Regan, a BU freshman forward, is the same size as Roy and dominated the prep circuit (50 points in 25 games junior and senior year) in New England before joing the USNTDP, and only going in the 5th round.

Combine everything mentioned and you'll see why this very talented player didn't go in the first two rounds. And after seeing him in person, he is for real. He won the Beanpot MVP as a losing player, scoring 5 of 6 tournament goals for a depleted roster.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

I mean. I didn't get to watch the game but to me it sounds like he's got a good mind for the game. I'm not sold that his game will translate, but I don't see why we can't say it looks like good value for where we drafted him.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
nbducksfan19

what i find promising in regards to his potential ability to translate his game to the NHL is that i have heard on several occasions that he has wonderful hockey IQ (is involved in drawing up plays ect.) I would be worried if he was just really fast and shifty with decent hands because that advantage with not be as evident in the Pro ranks.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbducksfan19 View Post
what i find promising in regards to his potential ability to translate his game to the NHL is that i have heard on several occasions that he has wonderful hockey IQ (is involved in drawing up plays ect.) I would be worried if he was just really fast and shifty with decent hands because that advantage with not be as evident in the Pro ranks.
It's true. One thing I've noticed is how sometimes he appears to just blend in with ice. A bit sneak at times and he'll just coast. However he usually find the open ice at the right time and either jumps up into the play or if in the offensive zone, he's waiting for the puck as evidence with his third goal against BU. Right place right time but he was really sitting on the side of the net waiting. Surprisingly strong too in boardplay for a guy with not alot of size.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
North Country

Quote:
looooool
Took home the USHL mvp award last year and is currently leading all NCAA freshmen in scoring. 13th overall?

I just don't see him hitting a wall at the NHL's gates.

North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Absolutely. And I didn't discount anything he has done so far. I just feel it's a little early to be going overboard with calling him the steal of the draft, just like everyone did with Flames fans claiming Gaudreau to be a steal.
Yeah i am not to big a fan of calling someone a steal within a year of being drafted, unless they made the jump straight to the NHL but I do feel like Roy can pull this off if we're patient with him, will be interesting to see if Anaheim tries to sign him after the season, or wait another year

Old
02-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Is this the kid from the infamous shootout competition videos from when he was 13?

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Is this the kid from the infamous shootout competition videos from when he was 13?
The same one, yep

10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
SkinsFan09

Hat trick in his sophomore season debut.

6 points (3G 3A) in two games. Granted the opponent has to be noted but the first goal he took the puck off the faceoff, skated around the D and fired a perfect turnaround wrist shot off the left post and in.

Last edited by SkinsFan09: 10-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.
SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Hat trick in his sophomore season debut.

6 points (3G 3A) in two games. Granted the opponent has to be noted but the first goal he took the puck off the faceoff, skated around the D and fired a perfect turnaround wrist shot off the left post and in.
Ye UAH kinda sucks so it's nothing spectacular. I watched both games and the goal you're talking around he just got the puck off the faceoff, a crappy forward bounced off him, and he turned n shot from the high slot and it went in. Never would have happened against a better team lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote