HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders Ownership Future

Old
02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
GusTheo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Actually, from what I read, the Vis suspension, which oddly enough ended on Wednesday also helped put them over th top.
Which brings me back to my original point, the Tim Thomas trade DIDN'T save the Islander or Chales Wang money.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:07 PM
lacunacoil777

If the Isles plan on penny pinching untill brookly, they will be playing in BROOKLYN without TAVERES. Why would he spend all summer training, staying in shape, if he knows the team is elimintated before the season starts? Why would he put up with that? THe other players on the team couldnt get the same contract or playing time on a NHL team and the Isles are still a better option then a AHL team. Tavares has other options though, and he is good enought to play on a NHL team instead of the Islanders who are in a league of their own somewhere between the AHL and NHL.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
If the Isles plan on penny pinching untill brookly, they will be playing in BROOKLYN without TAVERES. Why would he spend all summer training, staying in shape, if he knows the team is elimintated before the season starts? Why would he put up with that? THe other players on the team couldnt get the same contract or playing time on a NHL team and the Isles are still a better option then a AHL team. Tavares has other options though, and he is good enought to play on a NHL team instead of the Islanders who are in a league of their own somewhere between the AHL and NHL.
Highly unlikely. His mega deal kicks in this year and ends in 2017/18.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/NY...true&year=2013

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
GusTheo

How would penny pinching help Wang going forward? He has lost money on the Isles. He won't be making any money on them. Obviously he wants to lose as little money as possible, but the main goal is to MAKE money. He knows if he stands to make any money he has to ice a competitive team in year 1.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
bluechipbonzo

Fact is any move around money will always be seen by the haters as a negative.

Because it's the Islanders, it's an "issue".

Any other team would have been applauded for this cap flexibility move.

HFers don't see this because the new CBA hasn't been explained to them yet.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Since this whole thread is speculation, I guess it can't hurt to add this even if it is Eklund:

"There are some definite clues out there that the islanders may have grown frustrated trying to get a deal done with Edmonton and moved on to discussions with Minnesota. There could also be some other BIG news coming out of Long Island in the next week to ten days... (sorry to be vague...will have more on that when able to..."

Reading that, my gut tells me it would not be on-ice news. Of course, that's assuming there's anything really there. Anyway, FWIW, which probably isn't much.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Flyers/1/49243

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I don't think there is any evidence to Wang selling anytime soon. Since HE basically made the Thomas trade, it's obvious there is no move to sell in the near future. It's status quo, cheapo moves as always. I think we will get some decent mid-ground FA's the next 2 offseasons, and then Wang goes for the big stars in 2015. Best way to sell out games at the new arena.
And for those who don't view history as the best teaching....

Wang spent big in 2001. He then got cheap, cheaper and cheaper.

He doesn't care about winning, never has. We move to Brooklyn, he's gonna have more bobbleheads and cheap gimmickry and a few players brought in to look like he spent money and then we'll start seeing more cap evasion, angry players and suckered fans.

A zebra doesn't change its stripes. We'll just suck in front of fewer fans and steep seating that old people will have difficulty with.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
How would penny pinching help Wang going forward? He has lost money on the Isles. He won't be making any money on them. Obviously he wants to lose as little money as possible, but the main goal is to MAKE money. He knows if he stands to make any money he has to ice a competitive team in year 1.
He was just $4M in the hole a few years ago and made the team worse each and every year.

So he's gonna make the team better why? If Brooklyn pays as many claim, he can continue spending minimum or less and make more money.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

HFers don't see this because the new CBA hasn't been explained to them yet.

haters....you mean fans that don't enjoy minimal talent being put on ice for them to spend good money on tickets to see while prices go up and quality is inconsequential to ownership who strangles the team each year, rushing kids one year and filling 1/ of the roster with waiver fodder the next? That kinda haters?

I guess you have a Hickey jersey at home?

Cap flexibility.....one trade of "aged" Streit and we're below the cap. We can dump more NHL talent and Wang will be spending well under the cap. But we are simpletons....cap rules scare us.

Wang good, fire BAD!

Old
02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Steve55

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

UNIONDALE, N.Y.—The countdown has already begun for Chris King, a Long Island native, resident and longtime Islanders fan who is in his third season as the team's play-by-play radio announcer.

"The Kinger," as practically everyone around Nassau Coliseum calls him, is mentioning on his postgame shows how many regular-season games are left to be played at the dowdy but beloved arena before the team moves to Brooklyn in 2015.

After Monday night's home game against the Carolina Hurricanes, a 6-4 Islanders loss, the count was down to an even 100. Eighteen more games this year, then 41 in each of the next two years, and then, after 43 years, the Islanders will head to Barclays Center in Brooklyn....

I think the countdown is more likely 59.

Last edited by Steve55: 02-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet

UNIONDALE, N.Y.—The countdown has already begun for Chris King, a Long Island native, resident and longtime Islanders fan who is in his third season as the team's play-by-play radio announcer.

"The Kinger," as practically everyone around Nassau Coliseum calls him, is mentioning on his postgame shows how many regular-season games are left to be played at the dowdy but beloved arena before the team moves to Brooklyn in 2015.

After Monday night's home game against the Carolina Hurricanes, a 6-4 Islanders loss, the count was down to an even 100. Eighteen more games this year, then 41 in each of the next two years, and then, after 43 years, the Islanders will head to Barclays Center in Brooklyn....

I think the countdown is more likely 59.
A little sad when you think of it.

02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Doesnt matter where the isles move as long as the ******* is the owner and the dumbass is the GM.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
haters....you mean fans that don't enjoy minimal talent being put on ice for them to spend good money on tickets to see while prices go up and quality is inconsequential to ownership who strangles the team each year, rushing kids one year and filling 1/ of the roster with waiver fodder the next? That kinda haters?

I guess you have a Hickey jersey at home?

Cap flexibility.....one trade of "aged" Streit and we're below the cap. We can dump more NHL talent and Wang will be spending well under the cap. But we are simpletons....cap rules scare us.

Wang good, fire BAD!
No Wang is bad. But he wasn't always. Dude's lost enough money though wouldn't you say?

Your wanting him to spend more money also means sending young players, prospects, and picks out the door before we even know what we have...a la Milbury.

I would rather see these kids ripen before picking them off the vine and sending them packing.

Wang's going to drop the biggest bucks ever by an owner and get us to Brooklyn early...what will the haters say then haha???

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:33 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
No Wang is bad. But he wasn't always. Dude's lost enough money though wouldn't you say?

Your wanting him to spend more money also means sending young players, prospects, and picks out the door before we even know what we have...a la Milbury.

I would rather see these kids ripen before picking them off the vine and sending them packing.

Wang's going to drop the biggest bucks ever by an owner and get us to Brooklyn early...what will the haters say then haha???
Milbury sent everyone packing, or it seemed like it. We just want to see John get a real wing, and Travis a real defensive partner. Even one of the two would go a long way to say the commitment is coming. Instead we get cap space. It isn't like Streit, Viw, or Nabby will be yielding high 1st round picks. At best maybe Vis brings home a number 25 or so. Yawn.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:12 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

I don't care if he lost $20M a year. He scalped investors for a few billion dollars by accounting tricks and left no paper trail so everyone else is in a penitentiary romance novel but him, the *******.

I don't want young players sent packing. Where did you get that? No one is suggesting touching your Petrov (sounds perverted}.

The rest....makes as much sense as.....I'll be nice.

He ill be in breach of contract and face criminal proceedings if he vacates the lease early.

Now if you think he spends enough, marry him. He bought an NHL team. He either pays to compete so the fans who pay are rewarded or he's a slumlord cashing in on dopes. FYI, I didn't spend one dime since 21 on this scummbag, so.....not doped. DP's still here. Next coach is inexperienced and from New England. Nino will be back on ice soon. Next trade sheds payroll and we mail yet another season in. Tavares gets more dejected each passing game.

All because poor Charlie couldn't sell the game to enough people with Jon Sim attempted twice.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
thomsenrox
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't care if he lost $20M a year. He scalped investors for a few billion dollars by accounting tricks and left no paper trail so everyone else is in a penitentiary romance novel but him, the *******.

I don't want young players sent packing. Where did you get that? No one is suggesting touching your Petrov (sounds perverted}.

The rest....makes as much sense as.....I'll be nice.

He ill be in breach of contract and face criminal proceedings if he vacates the lease early.

Now if you think he spends enough, marry him. He bought an NHL team. He either pays to compete so the fans who pay are rewarded or he's a slumlord cashing in on dopes. FYI, I didn't spend one dime since 21 on this scummbag, so.....not doped. DP's still here. Next coach is inexperienced and from New England. Nino will be back on ice soon. Next trade sheds payroll and we mail yet another season in. Tavares gets more dejected each passing game.

All because poor Charlie couldn't sell the game to enough people with Jon Sim attempted twice.
I agree... The thing I just dont understand. Why does Wang not try to offload the franchise if he actually is losing around 20 mil. Dollars pr. annum? It truly raises the question wheather he in some ways are'nt actually making a few bucks on Islanders.
This ownership must be one of the wierdest in the history of sports. The DP and Yashin contract, the Garth Snow affair, which seems highly controlled by Wang and his non-hockey buiness-entrepeneurs. I dont get what Wang's long term goal at the moment is for the Islanders. It's completely in the fog!

thomsenrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
pucky

Wang will end up being the worst owner ever (for the Isles). The people he's dealing with in Brooklyn, I was astonished reading of all the corrupt public officials there and Prokhorov?!? Well, this is the 2nd time mentioning this and I expect Isles fans to overlook this post, too. ...

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:41 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:

This is one of the saddest white-washing jobs I've seen in quite some time... "cap flexibility move"

Teams that are trying to compete generally take measures to stay under the cap. Teams being ruined by cheapskate owners take measures to stay above the floor without spending any actual money. But please, ignore the "haters" and continue applauding these shrewd flexibility moves while the team wheezes into the draft lottery for the umpteenth year in a row.

02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
thomsenrox
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Wang will end up being the worst owner ever (for the Isles). The people he's dealing with in Brooklyn, I was astonished reading of all the corrupt public officials there and Prokhorov?!? Well, this is the 2nd time mentioning this and I expect Isles fans to overlook this post, too. ...
Not that it would suprise me if Wang is dealing with some rather shady people, but do you have any links to that story?

thomsenrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
This is one of the saddest white-washing jobs I've seen in quite some time... "cap flexibility move"

Teams that are trying to compete generally take measures to stay under the cap. Teams being ruined by cheapskate owners take measures to stay above the floor without spending any actual money. But please, ignore the "haters" and continue applauding these shrewd flexibility moves while the team wheezes into the draft lottery for the umpteenth year in a row.
Exactly. What the Bruins did was a "cap flexibility move". And a damn smart one. What we did was cheap as crap.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsenrox View Post
I agree... The thing I just dont understand. Why does Wang not try to offload the franchise if he actually is losing around 20 mil. Dollars pr. annum? It truly raises the question wheather he in some ways are'nt actually making a few bucks on Islanders.
This ownership must be one of the wierdest in the history of sports. The DP and Yashin contract, the Garth Snow affair, which seems highly controlled by Wang and his non-hockey buiness-entrepeneurs. I dont get what Wang's long term goal at the moment is for the Islanders. It's completely in the fog!
The truth is we do not now, nor will we ever know, how much Wang is losing if he is losing at all. The numbers thrown around about his losses come from Wang and his camp, so they are pitching the most dire situation they can, and based on how he cooked the books at CA I am positive those numbers are al made up. I believe they did this initially to gain public support for the Lighthouse Project, kind of taking a woe is me approach. I find it funny now that all that has failed and the move announced you don't hear about his losses anymore. Just one of those things that make you think.

It is completely in a fog and that's just how they want it to be. The spin doctors did their job well.

To your point, no owner would or could continue to own a franchise that loses $20M a year. There is no way.

I believe he may run at a loss but I would be surprised if it were more than a million or two annually.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
The truth is we do not now, nor will we ever know, how much Wang is losing if he is losing at all. The numbers thrown around about his losses come from Wang and his camp, so they are pitching the most dire situation they can, and based on how he cooked the books at CA I am positive those numbers are al made up. I believe they did this initially to gain public support for the Lighthouse Project, kind of taking a woe is me approach. I find it funny now that all that has failed and the move announced you don't hear about his losses anymore. Just one of those things that make you think.

It is completely in a fog and that's just how they want it to be. The spin doctors did their job well.

To your point, no owner would or could continue to own a franchise that loses $20M a year. There is no way.

I believe he may run at a loss but I would be surprised if it were more than a million or two annually.
Per Forbes, NYI lost $16M last season. That's WITH the lowest payroll.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Last edited by PWJunior: 02-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsenrox View Post
Who would Wang have sold it to without an arena deal? Until 4 months ago and the franchise value is still low.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

You could consider Forbes is a leading industry publication for financial news and studies and said he was as loss as $4M in the hole one year, as high as $12M. And Coliseum revenue unrelated to hockey was not reported as income.

But....who gives a ****. Ilitch in Detroit loses tons on his building yet spends a fortune to bring in good to great talent and fills the building every night for YEARS (in a bad economy, in the worst area in the country, he stopped selling out}.

He made mega playoff bucks, he sold tons of merchandise, you name it. But HE WAS LOSING MONEY BEFORE HE DID THAT!!!! HOW????? HOW COULD HE SPEND MONEY ON A BUSINESS IF IT WASN'T MAKING MONEY YET?????

Old
02-14-2013, 01:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Oh, a little history....they had an empty building every night.

They were "hapless" and dubbed the "Dead Wings."

They had one young budding star surrounded by modest talent at best. Some decent scoring players, a lot of scrubs and were a mess.

They hired the best young guy they COULD in the business from a successful team where he had helped craft a Dynasty. They hired the best scouting and best coaching they could get and drafted key players, most notably some key Russians. (eww!!!! who wants them?}

They began taking shape and soon, they got the best coaching they coud muster and became dominant.

The steps taken added up to spending, meticulously choosing the best coaching and talent on and off the ice and not settling for fodder or hiring minor league scrubs.

They went Canada, US, Russia, Sweden.....wherever, looking only at impact. THEY DID NOT STICK WITH PAPA MILBURY'S WISE HOME STATE AS A LAW.

But this all started with a cr*ppy team in a cr*ppy area with a dead arena and one superstar talented player stuck there.

Who does this remind us of, well, aside from the brainpower and desire of the owner to get his thumb out of his arse?

Ilitch saw the fans and decided to change, to make it worthwhile to be a DRW fan.

Wang....."sit down and shut up" comes to mind.