HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson?

View Poll Results: Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson
Sens fan saying yes 30 3.82%
Pens fan saying no 69 8.78%
Yes 175 22.26%
No 512 65.14%
Voters: 786. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-14-2013, 01:40 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Cooke do not have the skillset to deliberate do what he did. But he plays with little care and it is no surprise that it was he who was the perpetrator. So yes, I would say that there was an intent, even if Cooke was not headhunting - it was just Cooke.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post

Take a closer look. All his weight is on his right leg. He stomps his left foot down before pulling it away. It wasn't for "balance" and this wasn't a pin play. He doesn't even attempt to pin him.
Anyway i try to look at this with my loath towards Cooke and respect towards Karlsson i can't see the intention to injure.

Bad luck for Karlsson but the play could have happened to anyone. Selanne had his achilles tendon cut the same way. Just a freak accident.

Sens fan are mad, obviously, but they are WAY overreacting.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Oh ok, so you have NOTHING that supports you and you just hope if you keep saying 'it's a hockey play, it's a pin' over and over and over people will just accept it.

And yes, I have played hockey. Edit: And maybe you want to read what I think about this play before automatically assuming I think Cooke intentionally tried to injure Karlsson. It was just a reckless play to get to the puck and that's my thoughts on it. It wasn't a pin.
It is a hockey play as proven by the multiple times it happens during the games, how the hell can you cay otherwise? I cant believe i'm even having this conversation right now. You asked for an example of the exact same play... but its very hard because it is a freak accident and next to impossible to pre meditate it unless you have a brain that works very fast. got it?

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:22 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
I sure hope not...

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
I brought up something similar to this in another thread. Basically, it only really looks like intent when you watch it in super slow-motion...at regular speed it was hard to even catch what happened the first time. If Cooke had that kind of situational awareness and reaction time, he'd likely be a much better hockey player.
Exactly... tbh i had to re-watch the youtube video multiple times because it happened so fast that i couldn't even see it lol. He would be even better than Gretzky hockey sense wise, never get hit when he fights... one shots people...etc. Completely ridiculous that people think it was intentional and even thought something so common was a remotely "reckless" play... lol.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
ricky0034

I think it isn't even worth asking anymore

things like this keep happening around this guy,it's about time the league washed it's hands of him for good

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:36 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

matt cooke is a head hunter, not an achilles hunter

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Not intentional, just a freak accident. Sending best wishes to a speedy recovery to Karlsson.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:45 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
It's not a coincidence he ended Savards career and now targeted Karlsson. He goes after star players.

Im sure that part is true, in the sense that he wants to play physical with them and knock them off their game but I think this was just a bad accident.

I hope Karlsson is better soon....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:45 AM
dbaz

seriously?... the only reason people think this is intentional was because it was cooke, if it was crosby there wouldnt be any accusations. I hope from now on people spam the boards of accusations after someones cut with a skate.

dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:23 AM
nmbr_24

I do not think he intentionally severed his tendon, I do think he was trying to step on his skate or trip him up somehow and because of this he hurt Karlsson. So a slightly dirty play that turned into a nightmare.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:32 AM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

No. And this is as a Bruins fan who hates Cooke and will probably never forgive him for Savard.

What happened on that play happens 7683926363 times a year with no injury. If it were anyone else riding Karlsson into the boards no one would think twice. Cooke doesn't have that benefit, but still didn't do it intentionally.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:33 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
It's not a coincidence he ended Savards career and now targeted Karlsson. He goes after star players.
!00% Agree. Cant stand the way he plays. Cant stand the fact that this will go unpunished.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:39 AM
Droc
Classless

If it was anyone else, I would say its an accident, but since its Cooke, the dirtiest player in the league, I cant see how he didnt intend to stomp on him. He may not have intended to injure him, but he sure as hell intended to step on him.

I hate him with all the fire of a thousand burning suns.

It may not look intentional, but neither do his headshots, knee on knee or slew-footing

Last edited by Droc: 02-14-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
SenateReform

He's been deliberately injuring states for more than a decade now.

Do I think he planned on cutting the Achilles? No.

Do I think he planned on putting his foot down on Karlsson? Yes.

I agree with most people that the play happened quickly and he didn't have Tim's to think of what he was doing. I think that's the problem, of he had time to think then he wouldn't have done it.

I really see no reason for him to lift his skate and then stomp it back down right away. I think as they went into the boards, cooke's instincts took over and he did something extremely reckless with an intent to injure.

I'm trying hard not to be biased but I keep asking myself why did he lift his foot? Cooke doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt most are giving him.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
No but I'm really ****ing pissed at how reckless he was on that play. You need to have WAY more control than what Cooke had on that play.

I understand sometimes freak injuries are freak injuries but this wasn't a freak injury - it was Cooke going after Karlsson in a reckless fashion and the end result was serious injury.

A freak accident with a skate would be like what happened to Zednik or a pileup of bodies (I forget but I think a Montreal player had something happen to them in a pileup and he had a tendon severed or cut badly?) and not a simple 1 on 1 'pin' on the boards.
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/864713/clip/293

Two examples of players doing what Matt Cooke does with no injuries. It's a text book play with the worst possible outcome.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Flamer12

Will say no. However, I bet if he did it to one of the Flames I would think differently as I am a Flame fan. So I really feel for Ottawa fans. I can see that they believe it was intentional.

Flamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Uber Coca

Accidental, and Cooke being dirty has nothing to do with it. Freak injuries happen.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:02 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Nope. Reckless, maybe. But not intent to cut him, for sure.
This is too much of a moderate point of view for my tastes (and is generally what is being said around here).

The play wasn't reckless at all. It was a normal hockey play that happens about 30 times a game. The only reason it is being described as reckless is because you are trying to stay closer to the middle than you really need to here (as most people do).

The play wasn't reckless, stupid, or intentional, it was just a normal hockey play with an unfortunate result.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Frankie Spankie

As surprising as it may be, no, I do not think he intended to injure Karlsson.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
SenateReform

The results of this poll would be completely different if Stamkos was the one with his Achilles stomped.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
The results of this poll would be completely different if Stamkos was the one with his Achilles stomped.
really? why is that?

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
really? why is that?
Because a huge amount of people on this board are biased against Karlsson and were hoping he wouldn't repeat last years performance. If it were a guy who was universally lived and respected then the results would have been very different.

I'll admit I have a bias since I'm a huge Karlsson fan. But his haters won't admit to their own biases.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:18 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Because a huge amount of people on this board are biased against Karlsson and were hoping he wouldn't repeat last years performance. If it were a guy who was universally lived and respected then the results would have been very different.

I'll admit I have a bias since I'm a huge Karlsson fan. But his haters won't admit to their own biases.
Let's assume that this is accurate.

The media loves EK. They just talked about how he was the person playing the best in the entire NHL at the first intermission. Why would they say it wasn't intentionally. Especially when given the opportunity to hit an easy one with Cooke?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:20 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Let's assume that this is accurate.

The media loves EK. They just talked about how he was the person playing the best in the entire NHL at the first intermission. Why would they say it wasn't intentionally. Especially when given the opportunity to hit an easy one with Cooke?
Was the media voting in this poll?