HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Goalie situation after this season?

Old
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
stranger34

vCash: 500
Nabokov is Osgood 2.0

Lets not make the same mistake twice.

The team has so much confidence when he plays. They play pond hockey. I love it

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
I guess I mean why didn't they Redden/Gomez DP after that ruling came? It just seems too risky to have DP potentially injured, negating the possibility of a buyout.
if the isles bought out dp after the redden/gomez amendment, they would have to pay his full salary counting against the cap for this year, and then 2/3 his salary for the remaining years, but for those years it does not count against the cap.

why would they buy him out as a cap hit, and then be forced to sign another goalie, or rush poulin/nilsson.

doesnt make sense to buy him out, until after the season. and i have a sneaking suspicion, that he isnt going to get bought out.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Islander Prophet

Poulin or Nilsson, whichever plays best

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
You mean THE BREAKAWAY? You are almost as bad as Dee Karl over at Hockeybuzz blaming a goalie for a breakaway goal, lmfao!!
I'm not blaming the goalie for the goal, but the bottom line is that Ricky is physically unable to extend across the crease. Just watch him on that play... his mobility, flexibility and agility are shot. I respect your opinion and yes, breakaways are difficult, but Ricky's attempt on it was just pathetic in my view.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
thepeeve

It's the fact he is so slow in getting up and moving side to side. There's no way DP should be playing. It's such a slap in the face that he is still playing.

thepeeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeeve View Post
It's the fact he is so slow in getting up and moving side to side. There's no way DP should be playing. It's such a slap in the face that he is still playing.
If he were a horse, he'd have been put down by now

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
steveat

We don't have a deep position at the G position. I think we need to draft another goalie this year.

The only prospect I have confidence in is Poulin. If Nabby doesn't resign a contract, then we have to go looking for another..or maybe we are holding off on buying out DP for some other reason.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
We don't have a deep position at the G position. I think we need to draft another goalie this year.

The only prospect I have confidence in is Poulin. If Nabby doesn't resign a contract, then we have to go looking for another..or maybe we are holding off on buying out DP for some other reason.
If Nabby doesn't re-sign (and ever if he does): DP may be our best bet next season. I don't see us grabbing anybody from UFA, and Nabby is no spring chicken. Remember how fast how somebody as good as Belfour or Turco fell from grace?

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
CREW99AW

According to a Katie Strang tweet, the Isles have reached out to TT. Thomas agent has said he still plans to stay home this season. I'm hoping Snow's trying convincing TT to play a full season in 2013-2014.

On the main board, one of our posters made the arguments that TT would not want to play for the lowly Isles or in the media capital of the world.

I can understand not wanting to play for the lowly Isles, but Nassau County is hardly the media capital of the world. The isles have 1 full time beatwriter and several good bloggers. They are probably one of the least covered teams in the NHL.

No matter what team Thomas plays for, he will be badgered about politics by both the local press and the out of town press.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
According to a Katie Strang tweet, the Isles have reached out to TT. Thomas agent has said he still plans to stay home this season. I'm hoping Snow's trying convincing TT to play a full season in 2013-2014.
As mentioned correctly by other users on this board (in some other thread I guess) it was not the Isles who reached out to TT's agent, it was Strang. It was just badly formulated with the #isles tag.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I really believe Jimmy Howard should be the Isle's goal for Free Agency, he gives the Isle's a proven stud goalie in his prime. Who cares how much he costs, the Isles have a ton of cap space.
Let's be realistic for a minute here, if you are Jimmy Howard why in the world would you want to come to the Isles? Seriously.

Horrible ownership, bad GM, bad coach, bad team, no dedication to winning or even showing the will to win. Nothing attractive for him here.

He'll take less money to stay in Detroit where he has a chance to compete for the Cup every year.

Jimmy Howard is not coming here.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

If one of our younger prospects don't prove that they are NHL ready we have to either re-sign Nabby or sign another goalie, Even if we started the season with DP, it would be the same as going with one of the youngsters because DP will be on IR within the first month.

IF Nilsson and Poulin do not prove they can handle NHL time by next season, I personally liked what the Lightning have done. Trading for a goalie that is NHL ready but stuck behind a serious goalie.

-Wasn't Johan Gustavsson supposed to have all the upside in the world a few years back? He's 28 years old and (assuming Howard gets resigned) will continue to backup Howard.

-Giggy and Backstrom would fit into this also but they are both 35-36 years old, not really what I'm talking about.

-The Hiller/Fasth situation is somewhat of a surprise but Fasth is outplaying Hiller by a wide margin at the moment. Both goalies are 30-31 years old.

-Backman is behind Lehtonen in Dallas, he would be a risk due to the fact that he just hasn't played a ton of NHL hockey...15 games last year 8-5 2.77GAA .910 Save%. 25 years old (I don't know if this would be any better than Poulin or Nilsson starting for us next year).

-Bernier in LA is never gonna beat out Quick at this point, he's had a solid career but is hasn't started more than 25 games in a season. That being said, he's been in the NHL for a few years and at 24 years old....This would be the guy the #1 guy I would target as a trade, he has the upside, has some experience but LA can't ask for the moon for someone that A) Will be there backup for the foreseeable future and B) Hasn't proven he could carry a team if asked to do so. (IMO he can).

All of these options are going to the Western conference, if I'm trading a goalie away or getting one from another team I would not want to the see guy for any more games than I have to. No real reason for it but just how I would do things if I was a GM.

Sorry for the long winded post but I feel like this is how you can get a good young goalie and not mortgage the farm system. Backup goalies have a limited value especially if the team also has a workhorse like Jonothan Quick. Why not flip the backup for someone who can produce for you every night like a defenseman or forward.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:09 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphistos View Post
As mentioned correctly by other users on this board (in some other thread I guess) it was not the Isles who reached out to TT's agent, it was Strang. It was just badly formulated with the #isles tag.
Thanks for clearing that up. I picked the rumor up on the B's board, where they are cackling over the prospect of getting a high 2nd for TT.

I'm disappointed that the isles won't have TT for a full season.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:26 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Islanders Goaltending Troubles?!?!?!?

1. Nabokov - he's what, 37/38 and won't be playing much longer
2. Poulin - Has not looked good at all. Shakey in the AHL as well and might only be a good backup goalie.
3. DP - what else is there to say?
4. Nilsson - Don't know a lot about him yet, but what if he doesn't pan out?

Who is else is there? Any other goalies I don't know about?

I think goaltending is going to be one of the largest issues facing the Islanders in coming years. In order to become a playoff team, let alone and a Stanley Cup contender, you have to have strong goaltending. Isles can improve their offense and defense, but the goaltending may let them down and it might be very tough for the Islanders to finish the rebuild without a legit NHL goalie.

Is it time to panic for our future goalie situation or am I over reacting?

Who do you think is the future starting goalie?

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

I'd like to see Koskinen over here and in camp with a chance to earn a spot. I always read good things about him.

I'm not, and haven't been, sold on Poulin.

Bottom line, we need more than a goalie. Nabby hasn't been the best, but he's been good enough to get us some more wins if the team around him wasn't so bad.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Tartmaster

Send a message via AIM to Tartmaster
We will probably (hopefully) see another year of Nabby here.

Poulin and Nilsson both will be NHL goaltenders. KP's issue is his confidence- his stock dropped when he was drafted because saw him as immature. Throw in the knee injury he had a few years ago, and he probably won't be putting up many more games like the one he did against Vancouver a few years ago.

Nilsson will end up being our starter in 2 years. He showed poise last year, after the Pens game (which wasn't fair to him). Just has to work on closing his 5 hole better, but he's 6'7 so it's probably not too easy for him.

I don't like Koskinen, but I haven't seen him play in a few years. I'd want to see him again before making any judgement on him. Apparently he's tearing Europe apart.

Tartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
islesfan186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartmaster View Post
I don't like Koskinen, but I haven't seen him play in a few years. I'd want to see him again before making any judgement on him. Apparently he's tearing Europe apart.
Yeah, Jonas Gustavsson was killing it in Europe too....then he came to the NHL, and well, wasn't as good as advertised lol. But hopefully for once things may pan out for the islanders

I missed the 2010-2011 games Poulin played cuz I was in Iraq, so I can't judge how well he played in them, but from what I've seen of both him and Nilsson, I am more of a Nilsson supporter. Aside from that pens game (really not his fault, Sydney Crosby's first game back mixed with first NHL game) I think he looked very good. Not to mention the kid is a freaking GIANT!

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:49 PM
ekill08x

Whose supposed to be the number 1 overall pick in 2014? Because if you go into the season with Kevin Poulin and Anders Nilsson as your starting tandem thats what were looking at.

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote