HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion (Mar. 29 article, post #976)

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 08:53 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Probably our 1st and a solid prospect or 2nd/3rd rounder.
What do you think a package of say our 1st and Laughton could get us in terms of moving up?

I really want Pulock or Mantha. I really think mantha could end up going in the top 10.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Where is the draft this year? I want to see Bettman get his butt kicked!

Edit: Nevermind..Newark NJ.......I've got my train ticket already!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 02-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I am really jacked about this draft. Deep is not the word. We all know the top ten and for me Jones is on top of that list if we happen to get lucky. In the 11-20 range Nurse. Gauthier,Mantha, Byrakowsky among others would be nice. Very late teens or early 20's I am all over Kerby Rychel. I just think this kid would fit here like a glove and he is the guy I picked for us the beginning of the season. He does it all and has that winning attitude and lays it on the line every shift. Mueller is another kid I like. For me it is always pick the BPA hands down. I just think this year picks in the 1st four rounds are very important and hope that no matter what Homer bites the bullit and hangs in there with our kids and picks.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
What do you think a package of say our 1st and Laughton could get us in terms of moving up?

I really want Pulock or Mantha. I really think mantha could end up going in the top 10.
Laughton is a keeper. I just hope I did not give him the kiss of death

Old
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Get Barkov please. Good for Flyers that Europeans go late in drafts sometimes there's so many underrated ones this year! Hägg would be crazy if we got, he should be in top 10 to be honest, he'll grow to be top 10 defenseman in NHL one day!

Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28* View Post
Oliver Ekman Karlsson?
Oliver Ekman Larsson and Erik Karlsson's son.

Last edited by SwedisHab: 02-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
flyers28giroux

I just hope we get an impact, mobile, two way defenseman in the first round something that we clearly need.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got either Pulock, Nurse, Zadorov, Morissey, etc... either one of those defenseman would be nice building blocks for the Flyers' back-end in the future.

I wish we could get Seth Jones but he will probably be taken either first or second overall, which is a shame.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

I think that could get us into the top 10. I wouldn't want to give up laughton though.

Pulock and Mantha are the 2 guys I want to after reading scouting reports.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

It matter where we finish this year. If we finish out of the playoffs, isn't it generally a second plus like a 4th to move up about 3-5 spots. Say we have 11 overall, we probably need to trade our 1st, 2nd rounder and 4th to get up to 7th or so I believe.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I think that could get us into the top 10. I wouldn't want to give up laughton though.

Pulock and Mantha are the 2 guys I want to after reading scouting reports.
Pulock, with about the same size as Carle (6'1" 200lbs), sounds like a much better version of him. Can hit people in open ice, has an hell of a shot and overall well rounded. If we did Pulock, I could see him possibly stay up here for his draft year.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Pulock, with about the same size as Carle (6'1" 200lbs), sounds like a much better version of him. Can hit people in open ice, has an hell of a shot and overall well rounded. If we did Pulock, I could see him possibly stay up here for his draft year.
I have been saying I love Pulock since the beginning of the year. I hate when people make comparisons, because it is extremely difficult to do. I would compare him to Suter from what I saw at his peak if I had to though. He has a pretty good outlet pass and that shot is absolutely incredible.

I like Zadarov also, but I would fear his offensive numbers. He might become more of a shut down defender. Just my opinion, and I am not paid for them lol. So take them with a grain of salt.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I have been saying I love Pulock since the beginning of the year. I hate when people make comparisons, because it is extremely difficult to do. I would compare him to Suter from what I saw at his peak if I had to though. He has a pretty good outlet pass and that shot is absolutely incredible.

I like Zadarov also, but I would fear his offensive numbers. He might become more of a shut down defender. Just my opinion, and I am not paid for them lol. So take them with a grain of salt.
Which is why I don't really want him. If anything, he might become a Coburn (limited offense, but not horrible, but more of a shutdown D-man). Nurse, Pulock, and Morrissey would be more ideal because they should have a better offensive game (well, Pulock and Morrissey moreso than Nurse).

Old
02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Mantha sounds a lot like Jeff Carter to me when you read his scouting report. Big shot, smooth skater, big guy.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Mantha sounds a lot like Jeff Carter to me when you read his scouting report. Big shot, smooth skater, big guy.
Mantha plays much less of a perimeter game than carter, although he is more than capable of beating you with a rocket of a shot from the circle. He skates very much like carter, and I'd even venture as far as to say he may very well be the best skater in the draft, which is outstanding considering his size (6'4" 200) but the defining characteristic that separates him from carter is his aggrrsiveness and willingness to use his body whether it be to gain position, power through defensemen, or throwing a hit.

He's also not at all afraid to drop the gloves and will stand up for his teammates at the drop of a hat.

I love this kid, he has all the tools to be an absolute star winger in this league, and I feel it's only a matter a time before people start talking about him more. I see his stock rising considerably by draft day.

He is exactly what this team needs outside of a #1 defenseman.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Sounds like more of an insult....

But seriously...is this Mantha dude any relation to Moe Mantha?

Old
02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sounds like more of an insult....

But seriously...is this Mantha dude any relation to Moe Mantha?
No there's no relation

Old
02-14-2013, 04:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

It's a good year for players from the QMJHL. Obviously there's Drouin and Mackinnon, but when you start adding in guys like Erne, Mantha, and Gauthier (<- really like this guy as he might just end up being a better skating Keith Primeau), you can't go wrong with any of those selections. I'm surprised to see Anthony Duclair being mentioned in the first round though because he has some attitude issues and his play has actually tailed off.

In terms of the OHL, it's kind of a wash this year. You've got a real high end talent in Sean Monahan, but then you get some question with regards to Domi, Horvat, Hartman, and Rychel (<- another player I also like as he just seems to have that 'it' factor with regards to his play with the puck).

The WHL has also been surprising, but it's not been a good surprising. A couple of guys who have really taken a big fall as of late are Morgan Klimchuk and Curtis Lazar. Lazar has been especially disappointing because he was expected to be a top 10 pick. He might end up falling out of the first all together and possibly dropping as low as the mid 3rd. Even Hunter Shinkaruk is starting to fall. I have to admit that I'm shocked, but I'm not surprised either. Part of the issue with the forwards falling is that the WHL has been producing some real good defensemen as of late and this year is no different.

Personally, I'm indifferent to whom the Flyers might select when they get up to the podium. I've already stated that if they end up out of the playoffs and have a fairly high pick, I hope that they select Rasmus Ristolainen. If they can't get him, then I actually wouldn't mind if they traded down and picked up a few extra picks along the way, especially if trading down meant landing someone like Anthony Mantha, Frederic Gauthier or a wild card like Valery Nichushkin or Pavel Buchnevich.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:09 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Here's the ISS top 30 rankings for February:

Quote:
1 Jones, Seth RD 10/3/1994 R 6.03.5 208 Portland WHL
2 Nichushkin, Valery LW 3/4/1995 L 6.04 196 Chelyabinsk Chelmet RusS
3 MacKinnon, Nathan C 9/1/1995 R 6.00 182 Halifax QMJHL
4 Drouin, Jonathan LW 3/27/1995 L 5.10.75 185 Halifax QMJHL
5 Nurse, Darnell LD 2/4/1995 L 6.03.5 189 S.S. Marie OHL
6 Zadorov, Nikita LD 4/15/1995 L 6.05.25 230 London OHL
7 Barkov, Sasha C 9/2/1995 L 6.03 209 Tappara FinE
8 Monahan, Sean C 10/12/1994 L 6.02 186 Ottawa OHL
9 Lindholm, Elias C 12/2/1994 R 5.11.75 192 Brynas SweE
10 Ristolainen, Rasmus RD 10/27/1994 R 6.04 207 TPS Turku FinE
http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-...-for-february/

Old
02-15-2013, 03:20 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Since Pulock isn't in the Top 10 in that list, we might have a shot?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:05 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Since Pulock isn't in the Top 10 in that list, we might have a shot?
I hope so but you have to take these lists with a grain of salt. Other than getting an idea of where a player might go, they're pretty much useless when it comes to the actual draft.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Here's the ISS top 30 rankings for February:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30-...-for-february/
If that is how the top 10 is going to break, if I am the Flyers I am doing my best to move into the back half of the top 10. Barkov, Lindholm, and Ristolainen would be steals at that point.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:20 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If that is how the top 10 is going to break, if I am the Flyers I am doing my best to move into the back half of the top 10. Barkov, Lindholm, and Ristolainen would be steals at that point.
I still think Barkov goes in the top 4. Valeri Nichushkin will likely drop out of the top 10 due to the Russian factor.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Primary Assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Laughton is a keeper. I just hope I did not give him the kiss of death
Oh noooo...gotta hold on to the 3rd line center prospect. Work hard, work hard, work hard and all that.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
Oh noooo...gotta hold on to the 3rd line center prospect. Work hard, work hard, work hard and all that.

As for the rest of the thread, I have like Pullock from the start and that he might actually be available outside the top 10 is great. While a two-way defenseman is ideal, I don't think we're going to be bad/lucky enough to draft one of the top ones, so I'd be more than happy to take the guy with tremendous offensive upside and average to above average defense.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-18-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 07:10 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Assist View Post
Are you actually making fun of someone who has worked hard to get to being NHL ready because he worked hard?

I bet you worked hard typing all that into your keyboard; a lot to accomplish I bet.

Back on topic though, Pulock is a great choice, but we'll have to see how the draft shapes up. All in all, last year's run on defensemen may be a blessing in disguise for the Flyers. A lot of teams may not make the leap as early and as often as they did last year because many may be looking forward having already used a top draft pick on a blueliner last year.

Everyone always says they go BPA, but BPA really is weighted by need.......unless you're Paul Holmgren and love centers.

Closed Thread