HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Hate aside, if you can take ONE player from the Leafs for free....

Old
07-09-2006, 01:32 AM
StanAjax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Definately Steen, Sundin and Stajan.
The 3 S, Toronto style.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Biggsy

Im thinking Tucker man do i hate him sooo much but he plays with alot of passion its unreal

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 02:01 AM
tinyzombies

Kubina

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Caesium

Toronto fan, but from a Montreal perspective I see two ways to go, and neither involve Mats Sundin. The reason I wouldn't take Sundin is that he has one or two years left in the league, and unless I'm just one Sundin away from an extremely strong Cup favourite, I pass. I'd take the option that improves my team for years and years to come.

Option 1: The center.

A lot of people say Steen, but right now I think I might take Stajan. His defensive abilities are quite good and he is fun in the locker room. His offensive abilities are also extremely underrated. He played 8 minutes of ES per night in a position he doesn't play, beside such amazing players as Clarke Wilm and Tie Domi, had essentially zero PP time (and even with averaging 37 seconds of PP time per game, managed to score 3 PP goals) and still managed to score 15 goals on the year. He had the 15th best shooting percentage in the entire league, and if he didn't get shafted by Quinn he would have had more of an opportunity to display that prowess. Give Stajan 2nd line minutes and 3 minutes of PP time per game and it wouldn't suprise me if he scores 30 goals and an equal number of assists while still killing tough penalties and being great defensively.

Option 2: The defense.

Hands down, Kaberle. He makes your entire team better and is able to cut into the opposing zone when none of your other players can. He is capable of leading the rush and logging insane minutes. One knock is his lack of hitting, but he still blocks a good number of shots (145ish this season, maybe 142, I don't feel like looking it up). He is also a steal at 4.25 million for 5 years.

So who do I take overall? I don't know what Montreal has in their system, but I really do love Stajan. Kaberle may have more of an initial impact overall on the teamk, however... it's tough. One plus for Stajan is that he is still only 22 years old, how much better is he going to be in 2-3 years? 5 years? Players peak around 27 years old. There still might be a lot of room to grow for him, but then again maybe not.

I think I take Stajan.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Their first pick next season

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 09:06 AM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
Im thinking Tucker man do i hate him sooo much but he plays with alot of passion its unreal
For a guy who gets payed less the Riberio (), he is a bargain. He can hit, he can fight, he can score (28 goals), he can put up the points, he has heart & grit and is really a pest and gets under other team's skin.

He's a guy you'd love to have on your team but a guy you'd hate to play against.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 09:11 AM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Definately Steen, Sundin and Stajan.

As far as their prospects goes, Tlusty and Robbie Earl.

God I like way too many players from them, hurry please, change the subject....
How about Justin Pogge as your future goaltender?

Old
07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilnykicksass View Post

We already have our goaltender...Carey Price.

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 10:49 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Their first pick next season
Zing

Old
07-09-2006, 11:20 AM
OvechkinDomination*

After looking at Koivu's stats, i can understand why most of you would pick Sundin.

No offense but how the hell does a guy who hasn't scored over 20+ goals since '96 and a guy who has never had 75 points or more in his career be a number one center on a team that has won the most Stanley Cups ever?

Koivu would be a second or third line centre on alot of other teams, including the Leafs. Gainey should try to go trade or maybe go look for another UFA center.

Old
07-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
No, but I would take your other goalie, Tukka Rask.....oops!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 12:26 PM
OvechkinDomination*

[IMAGE][/IMAGE]
Quote:
No, but I would take your other goalie, Tukka Rask.....oops!
It really doesn't bother me. We got a 26 year old goaltender who i think will bounce back to form and we still have Pogge and Racine in the organization.

Old
07-09-2006, 12:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
After looking at Koivu's stats, i can understand why most of you would pick Sundin.

No offense but how the hell does a guy who hasn't scored over 20+ goals since '96 and a guy who has never had 75 points or more in his career be a number one center on a team that has won the most Stanley Cups ever?

Koivu would be a second or third line centre on alot of other teams, including the Leafs. Gainey should try to go trade or maybe go look for another UFA center.
He's injured every single year. I think he's had two full seasons. But for most of that time, we've had a bad team, so it hasn't been that big a deal...

Koivu is a force when he gets going, but he needs help from bigger linemates. He clicked with Ryder and Higgins last year though. Pound-for-pound, he's a very strong guy with excellent leg strength. He routinely beats out bigger guys along the boards for the puck because of his low center of gravity and quick hands and agility. Matched up against Thornton, he would easily outplay him (with Markov's help, of course). He's learning to lay off the Forsberg style though (about time!).

The day Koivu becomes our #2 center is the day we win the Cup.

Old
07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
imnothere

Kaberle. What we really lack is a true #1 defense pairing. With Kaberle and Markov we'd be unstoppable on the PP

I don't think Sundin is our solution especially at 36 (I think ?).

So I guess I'd take Kaberle or Steen but most likely Kaberle.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
For a guy who gets payed less the Riberio (), he is a bargain. He can hit, he can fight, he can score (28 goals), he can put up the points, he has heart & grit and is really a pest and gets under other team's skin.

He's a guy you'd love to have on your team but a guy you'd hate to play against.
Exactly hes a pest but hes good at it what he does

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote