HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson?

View Poll Results: Did Cooke intend to injure Karlsson
Sens fan saying yes 30 3.82%
Pens fan saying no 69 8.78%
Yes 175 22.26%
No 512 65.14%
Voters: 786. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
The results of this poll would be completely different if Stamkos was the one with his Achilles stomped.
Not true... If the same thing happened to Stamkos i guarantee you that the results will be the same... I dislike Karlsson because i think he is a 1 hit wonder and gets over rated a lot... but as a human being you never want to see that happen to someone else. That's his career on the line and things will never be the same, the young players are the future of the NHL.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Watching the Don Cherry montage on Cooke's maliciousness, leads me to think that he targeted Karlssons leg.

Skip to 1:15

I just can't see it though, and there isn't enough proof to say he did.
So I am going to have to go with No

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Fire Julien

Yes, he went in that corner with an intent to injure as he's done countless times.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
bacon25

I am surprised that no one is bringing up the missed whistle by the refs more. Something needs to be done, these refs suck!!!

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

If it was anyone else besides Cooke I'd say absolutely no intent to injure. Unfortunate accident after a rather reckless play. Given that it's Cooke, though, it kinda makes me wonder.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
The results of this poll would be completely different if Stamkos was the one with his Achilles stomped.

Dumbass statement

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

vCash: 550
Karlsson plays with speed, I don't think Cookes skate are that high by accident. Cooke pretty much won the game for the Penguins and ***** the season up for the Senators by this reckless move.

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
What I want to know is this. Did the Ottawa Senators target Matt Cooke earlier in the game to gain an advantage as commented by TSN announcers in Canada when Sergei Gonchar shot a puck at Matt Cooke's head?? If true?? Explains plenty.
Is this a serious post? A one-timer that hits a guy in the face is "targeting another player"? I'm honestly not sure, I'm on my blackberry so I can't see if you're a sens fan or not.

One Turris God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

No, it should have never happened obviously but I don't think Cooke meant to injure Karlsson.

02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Minister of Offence

I'd say he was targeting the back of Karlsson's knee with his knee if anything. But even then....

Look at Cooke's head when it all happens...he's looking into row 6 of the corner. I'm sorry, you're having a hard time grasping the speed of the NHL if you think he could target the soft spot in protection going full speed into the boards with games quickest player and doing it while looking away.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Minister of Offence

Talk about boy who called wolf.

All I'm saying, I'm sure when Cooke goes into the corner with one of the games best players he goes in with some sort of motive to make it hard on said player. And there's grey area they play with.

Good players will get the extra shove through the boards, or a knee to the back of the leg. If you ever watch Karlsson play, teams try and rough him up. So if you get a chance to stick him with a knee, you might take it.

I don't think he tried to chop the leg. But I think the chop came as a result of an action that was meant to "hurt" (or play hard) on a top player. And it resulted in catastrophe. I think it was grey area.

We'll watch the league react to this, either call for better protection on that part of the leg, or no skates off the ice around contact like that. Can of worms..

Old
02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'd say he was targeting the back of Karlsson's knee with his knee if anything. But even then....

Look at Cooke's head when it all happens...he's looking into row 6 of the corner. I'm sorry, you're having a hard time grasping the speed of the NHL if you think he could target the soft spot in protection going full speed into the boards with games quickest player and doing it while looking away.
I had to look at the replay a few times because everything happened so quick.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
I had to look at the replay a few times because everything happened so quick.
Ya exactly. And some people that did this made the mistake of thinking the play was actually that slow

My buddy was like, "these guys are professionals, they are in complete control". Give me a break...flying into the boards at that speed. You're instinct is contain the player however possible, and if it's a slippery guy like Karlsson, you might react to bring a leg up to make sure he doesn't slip away

It's a hockey play, but one we look at now and think hmmm, maybe this is dangerous. But I can't say it's illegal.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Ya exactly. And some people that did this made the mistake of thinking the play was actually that slow

My buddy was like, "these guys are professionals, they are in complete control". Give me a break...flying into the boards at that speed. You're instinct is contain the player however possible, and if it's a slippery guy like Karlsson, you might react to bring a leg up to make sure he doesn't slip away

It's a hockey play, but one we look at now and think hmmm, maybe this is dangerous. But I can't say it's illegal.
It was way too quick for someone to have their mind process that situation and therefore want to cut someone intentionally... he was clearly off balance a bit that's why his skate was up. That play happens 30+ times a game while unfortunate it was a good hockey play. Some people just hate for hating and common sense just flies out the window.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It was way too quick for someone to have their mind process that situation and therefore want to cut someone intentionally... he was clearly off balance a bit that's why his skate was up. That play happens 30+ times a game while unfortunate it was a good hockey play. Some people just hate for hating and common sense just flies out the window.
Ya it does happen every game. Some players are good at using their leg to help pin, and the better the player the more leverage you're gonna instinctively use.

Hell, that may even have been Matt Cooke trying to be the "clean guy" he's trying to be now because 3 years ago that may have been a shoulder to the head.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Wow even after the year Cooke had last year he's still given flack of something like this.

There was no intent at all there, just unfortunate circumstances....

Sens fans need to stop crying over this.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:36 AM
tml145

i have a hard time believing play are out the to injure each other.

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:38 AM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
He's been deliberately injuring states for more than a decade now.

Do I think he planned on cutting the Achilles? No.

Do I think he planned on putting his foot down on Karlsson? Yes.

I agree with most people that the play happened quickly and he didn't have Tim's to think of what he was doing. I think that's the problem, of he had time to think then he wouldn't have done it.

I really see no reason for him to lift his skate and then stomp it back down right away. I think as they went into the boards, cooke's instincts took over and he did something extremely reckless with an intent to injure.

I'm trying hard not to be biased but I keep asking myself why did he lift his foot? Cooke doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt most are giving him.
His foot was in the air because he was off balance!! What part of that do people not understand? This happens ALL the time, with no injury because its a freak accident, that happened to the worst possible player which is the only reason people think this was intentional.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
His foot was in the air because he was off balance!! What part of that do people not understand? This happens ALL the time, with no injury because its a freak accident, that happened to the worst possible player which is the only reason people think this was intentional.
Exactly, so damn obvious why he had his foot up like that, two guys pushing against each other going into the boards are Cooke was off balance...

Take off the Homer glasses it wasn't dirty or even an intent to injure, unfortunate for Karlsson but hardly on purpose from Cooke, who has actually become one of the cleaner players in the league over the last year.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
It was just really bad luck.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Exactly, but because it was Cooke, people assume he went in the corner with the intent to stomp on a players heel? Give me a break.

And just to reiterate, I hate Cooke, but he is innocent in this play.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Sony Eriksson*

It was not premeditated in any way at all. It was an unfortunate event that happens in a fast paced game.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Exactly, but because it was Cooke, people assume he went in the corner with the intent to stomp on a players heel? Give me a break.

And just to reiterate, I hate Cooke, but he is innocent in this play.
I dislike him too lol... but people are blinded and its beyond ridiculous.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Intent to cut him? No. Intent to injure? Yes. Cooke doesn't care at all if he kills someone. He's cold and heartless.
Wut?

Anyways, no.

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
JMiller

Just another spot on this leopard.

Quote:
Bad luck for Karlsson that Cooke was still in the league.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote