HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT/WPG] Eric Tangradi for a 7th round pick in 2013

Old
02-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Alesle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Can anyone give me a non-biased rundown of what Tangradi offers the Jets? Also can a Pens fan explain why he wasn't working out in your organization? Our GM seems to think he wasn't a good fit for you guys and he wants to give him a real opportunity in Winnipeg in Poni's spot.
Big body, skates reasonably well for his size, though loses more board battles than you'd like for a player that size. He has mainly looked lost playing with Malkin and Neal, didn't appear to think the game quick enough and always deferring to Malkin (I believe he needs to have the puck more on his stick to be effective). His best Penguins games have been when he's played on the 4th line and played a cycling game without being afraid of making a mistake. I still think he can become a good third liner that can play in front of the net on 2nd PP.

As for why he wasn't working out here; the short version is that the only available spot for him was on the 2nd line, a role he's not ready to play in (and I doubt he'll ever be). Our other bottom 6 players bring more in terms of special teams play, so there was simply no room for Tangradi.

Best of luck with him, I hope he carves out a nice career for himself with you.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:20 AM
mwalluk

This is a great pickup for the Jets, low risk - high reward. Tangradi never got a true opportunity in Pittsburgh. The Pens are in a win now mentality and can not afford to wait/be patient with Tangradi. That's something that they can't afford at this juncture. The kid has talent and a high ceiling, with regular playing time he WILL develop into a solid NHL contributor. With the Pens, he played anywhere from 5-10 minutes (usually on the 4th line). He had 2 games where he was on Malkins line for maybe 10 minutes each game, then was benched for 8 straight games. Can't develop, let alone find chemistry when your not playing.

mwalluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
He never once had an extended period of time with either Crosby or Malkin. He'd get a few shifts, then go back to the 4th line. This year was slightly better than the previous ones, but he never played with Crosby this year. Was either with Malkin and Neal or on the 4th line. He averaged 8 minutes this year, and only 3 times this year or last year did he see more than 11 minutes of icetime in a game. I'm sorry, but when you're trying to develop a player, this isn't the way to do it.

Basically Bylsma can't develop players, as he never gives them a shot, and will sit them if they screw up. Look at Strait for a perfect example. The same thing was happening with Tangradi and is happening with Jeffrey.

So while Tangradi might not have the tools to become a solid NHL player, neither did we set him up for success.
Tangredi had been around the organization for a couple of years now. That's plenty of time to show the team during practice or a game. The Pens organization saw ET every day, and the concluded that he wasn't going to make it. Don't see how a fans opinion carries more weight than that.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Tangredi had been around the organization for a couple of years now. That's plenty of time to show the team during practice or a game. The Pens organization saw ET every day, and the concluded that he wasn't going to make it. Don't see how a fans opinion carries more weight than that.
They also concluded guys like Strait and Letestu weren't needed and many Pens fans felt both were NHL caliber players. Both guys while not stars, are playing a helpful role for their respective teams are they not?

For Jets fans who want to know what went wrong...

When Strait went to the Isles, he essentially said he was only allowed ten minutes TOI and he would get benched for making a mistake. The same thing happened to Tangradi. Even the Pens fans who didn't like Tangradi couldn't explain why he wasn't getting regular fourth line minutes last season, when his play warranted it. DB essentially played vets like Park over him most of the season, because that is what he does.

Tangradi was NOT ready for top six duty and it was obvious, but he was still thrust into that role for a couple of games this season. Malkin pretty much ignored him and in those games, Tangradi only got six or seven shifts with Malkin and Neal.

His last game he was on the fourth line where he should have been all along, and he had a good game. However, DB benched him because they brought in Boychuk.

This is a guy who needs at least two years in the bottom six to adjust to the NHL. The Pens' brass tore down this guys game and tried to make him a PF and that was never his game. He just needs ice time and to be allowed to play his game, not be a robot.

It looks like your mgmt is going to open a spot for him, so I have a feeling at worst you will have a big, skilled third liner when it all plays out. If not, you didn't lose anything but a seventh round pick.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
how ****ing awful Ryan Whitney was at the time of the trade, and has been for all but about a 50 game window since, Tangradi's development was never important in that 'landslide' description.

Kunitz by himself was a far better return than an already broken Whitney should have received.

Are we sure on that? The Penguins writers have generally been fairly stingy when it comes to handing out high scores. Evgeni Malkin was an 8.5B for crying out loud.
He got traded during his best junior season so that is probably partly the reason he got a big bump in his rating. Not sure what his highest rating was but I don't think he should have ever been rated higher than 7.5. I was hoping he'd put up good numbers in WBS while the NHL was locked out and then carry that form into the NHL but he actually put up worse numbers than his AHL rookie season.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
FlyersHockeyNow

Eric Tangradi Trade

Eric Tangradi was traded from the Penguins to the Jets last night in return for a 7th round draft pick. i think the penguins lost this trade considering he played with Malkin and Neal.

FlyersHockeyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
LAPenguin

He played with them and was terrible. He needed a change of scenery.

But the team will sorely miss his 2 career assists.

LAPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
... Chris Bourque played with Malkin. Michel Ouellet played with Malkin. Playing with Malkin doesn't make you a good player.

Still, I feel like we gave up on Tangradi and it's gonna cost us.

Still, I'd say we won the Kunitz+Tangradi for Whitney trade. Got a Cup, decent winger, Whitney can't play anymore.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
He was a healthy scratch for the past 8 games and it was clear the Penguins had no intentions of giving him an actual chance to prove his worth.

Pretty sure he was still on pace to have more points than Giroux this season though.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Flat Stanley

I don't really think there was a winner or a loser in this deal. If I had to choose a winner, I would agree that the Jets win the deal because of Tangradi's age and upside. I think he can be an NHL regular, he just wasn't going to be one with us.

If Tangradi improves and all we got was a 7th for him, it would be a surprise but at the same time, I realize he didn't fit on the Penguins so even getting a 7th for him, that was the value of a guy who spend more than half the season as a healthy scratch.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
1penzfan

Big strong guy who always played smaller and slower than the team wanted him to. A 7th in return is fair and reasonable. Hope things work out for him.

1penzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
They also concluded guys like Strait and Letestu weren't needed and many Pens fans felt both were NHL caliber players. Both guys while not stars, are playing a helpful role for their respective teams are they not?

For Jets fans who want to know what went wrong...

When Strait went to the Isles, he essentially said he was only allowed ten minutes TOI and he would get benched for making a mistake. The same thing happened to Tangradi. Even the Pens fans who didn't like Tangradi couldn't explain why he wasn't getting regular fourth line minutes last season, when his play warranted it. DB essentially played vets like Park over him most of the season, because that is what he does.

Tangradi was NOT ready for top six duty and it was obvious, but he was still thrust into that role for a couple of games this season. Malkin pretty much ignored him and in those games, Tangradi only got six or seven shifts with Malkin and Neal.

His last game he was on the fourth line where he should have been all along, and he had a good game. However, DB benched him because they brought in Boychuk.

This is a guy who needs at least two years in the bottom six to adjust to the NHL. The Pens' brass tore down this guys game and tried to make him a PF and that was never his game. He just needs ice time and to be allowed to play his game, not be a robot.

It looks like your mgmt is going to open a spot for him, so I have a feeling at worst you will have a big, skilled third liner when it all plays out. If not, you didn't lose anything but a seventh round pick.
Do you consider Letestu or Strait signficant losses? For the most part - those guys are "nice" players, but not guys I worry about my team losing.

The issue of having guys who are afraid of making a mistake - that's obviously a coaching issue, but a part of that falls on the players as well with having confidence in their abilities. I just don't see it as a major issue when your team has a spare part that ends up being able to play on a really downtrodden franchise (I feel for the Isle fans). Not ripping on anyone, but there are players on the Islanders that I wouldn't want to be playing for my team. The fact that Strait is a big fish in a little pond doesn't mean that he would be playing the same way in PITT.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockeyNow View Post
Eric Tangradi was traded from the Penguins to the Jets last night in return for a 7th round draft pick. i think the penguins lost this trade considering he played with Malkin and Neal.
He hasn't played well despite being with Malkin and Neal.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
he did absolutely nothing despite playing on a line with Malkin

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
What is this? I don't even.....

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Do you consider Letestu or Strait signficant losses? For the most part - those guys are "nice" players, but not guys I worry about my team losing.

The issue of having guys who are afraid of making a mistake - that's obviously a coaching issue, but a part of that falls on the players as well with having confidence in their abilities. I just don't see it as a major issue when your team has a spare part that ends up being able to play on a really downtrodden franchise (I feel for the Isle fans). Not ripping on anyone, but there are players on the Islanders that I wouldn't want to be playing for my team. The fact that Strait is a big fish in a little pond doesn't mean that he would be playing the same way in PITT.
I consider them NHL players and Tangradi to have the same ability to carve out his own niche.

Just because a team doesn't see something in a guy, doesn't mean fans who see something are wrong.

The NHL is littered with guys who were given up on and got an opportunity elsewhere and found their game. The Pens have a guy in their top six right now who was on waivers twice and even had Atl give up on him.

He was a big part of helping two franchises hoist the cup and has had quite a nice career for himself.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
rp2323

I remember the Marcus Naslund deal to Vancouver for Alex Stojanov? For the Jets sake... lets hope this is a similar trade!

rp2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
ponder

As I've been saying for years now, Tangradi has been massively, massively overrated on HF boards. I actually really like the Pens, but their prospects tend to get overrated a lot, there's been way too much hype for guys like Tangradi, Caputi, Esposito, and to a lesser extent Despres.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:39 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Tangradi will be playing tomorrow against the Pens. Couldn't make it here in time for practice, but will be at the morning skate tomorrow. I have no idea if he'll be on the 3rd or 4th line. We'll probably know after the skate.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:56 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
As I've been saying for years now, Tangradi has been massively, massively overrated on HF boards. I actually really like the Pens, but their prospects tend to get overrated a lot, there's been way too much hype for guys like Tangradi, Caputi, Esposito, and to a lesser extent Despres.
Wasn't Esposito only Pen's property for like, 8 months?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Esposito was sort of a hyped before he got to Pitt guy. He wasn't really with them that long and looked horrible in his one camp.

And Despres...dunno. Most people in Pittsburgh seem to think he'll develop into a second pairing guy...but that he's a mortal lock to get there (unlike your Pouliots and Morrows, who have significantly higher upside AND risk). Is that really all that unfair to think?

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
I didn't think much of Caputi or Esposito. I was excited for Tangradi, before the lockout ended, Pittsburgh media said there is nothing for him in the AHL and he's over powering guys in that league, he was ready for the NHL but to excel in the NHL was up to him, he didn't do it as a Penguin.

The difference between those 3 and Simon Despres is, Despres has higher upside and is playing solid hockey at a young age. He made his NHL debut when he was 20, he played solid during his time with the team last year. This year, a couple mistakes here and there but that's usually normal for young players. He's viewed as a future solid top 4 defenseman and a D partner for Letang, him and Letang have played solid together during their time as a D pair.

I don't think we're overrating Despres, he's a unique defenseman, a guy his size who can skate, move the puck, has a nice wrist and slap shot, can get back into the defensive play.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:05 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Pens fans i know have claimed that he has solid top 4 potential. currently, he's playing in a top 4 role as a 21-year-old player and he's not doing anything to hurt his spot there. is he a Norris candidate? certainly not. is he a solid player in the top 4 for the Pens? until he proves otherwise, yes.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2323 View Post
I remember the Marcus Naslund deal to Vancouver for Alex Stojanov? For the Jets sake... lets hope this is a similar trade!

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2323 View Post
Remember when Tangradi had 52 points in 66 games as a third liner before he was traded?

Nope...oh yeah. His line reads closer to Stojanov's.

That trade is still infuriating, but the fact it keeps getting brought up when the Penguins 'give up' on a player is almost as infuriating since Naslund wasn't given up on, he was already a damn good player. Craig Patrick just gambled that Stojanov (who was drafted higher than Naslund in the same draft) was going to be the next Kevin Stevens...and he lost. Badly.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 02-15-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote