HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Southsiders treated horribly at Canucks-Wild Game

View Poll Results: What kind of atmosphere would you prefer at Canucks games?
Quiet to no noise 20 9.71%
Louder and full of energy 186 90.29%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
Professional sports is basically a tame form of tribalism. Don't act like North America is squeaky clean.
North America is not squeaky clean. Never said it was.

However the "tribalism" of football in Europe for example, is much different that the "tribalism" of hockey, baseball, gridiron and basketball.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
The Poacher

From a players perspective, I've always loved it when the crowd was loud cheering and excited. It helps give you energy, adrenaline and can swing momentum in game. I've always been a fan who is quiter and more tame but that's just my personality. If your loud singing chanting without being an obnoxious drunk I have no problem with it.

The Poacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:45 AM
JBIZ14

if you dont think a loud supportive crowd helps teams then you have never played sports at a serious level...

If you're not there to cheer then why even go...you get a much better view on tv for a fraction of the price.

i am a Southsider and a huge Canucks fan so stop embarrassing me by acting like ignorant ****** in here...

southsiders do not use vuvuzelas ...in fact they are very much against them

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:10 AM
goodgrimes

I've gone to maybe 5 or so Canucks games in the past couple of years and I was shocked at how much it's really changed. Rogers Arena (at least during regular season) is a graveyard, pure and simple. It's possible that the audience who actually buys the tickets now is a very different one from 10 years ago, and the comment that going to a Canucks game is for the rich probably holds some water. The city itself has also changed.

goodgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrimes View Post
I've gone to maybe 5 or so Canucks games in the past couple of years and I was shocked at how much it's really changed. Rogers Arena (at least during regular season) is a graveyard, pure and simple. It's possible that the audience who actually buys the tickets now is a very different one from 10 years ago, and the comment that going to a Canucks game is for the rich probably holds some water. The city itself has also changed.
In the last 10 years the whole world has changed.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:21 AM
goodgrimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
In the last 10 years the whole world has changed.
Sure. I would be kind of surprised if there were many NHL arenas as quiet as Rogers Arena, though.

goodgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZ14 View Post
if you dont think a loud supportive crowd helps teams then you have never played sports at a serious level...

If you're not there to cheer then why even go...you get a much better view on tv for a fraction of the price.

i am a Southsider and a huge Canucks fan so stop embarrassing me by acting like ignorant ****** in here...

southsiders do not use vuvuzelas ...in fact they are very much against them
I would love to see a study supporting this. I have played sports and don't think the crowd makes all that much of a difference in most cases, except in football where you can disrupt signal calling.

The fact is, the Chicago Blackhawks had the loudest stadium in hockey and didn't win a cup from 1961 until well after they closed the Chicago Stadium down.

The loudest crowd roar at a sports stadium was 131.76 dbA and was achieved by Galatasaray Spor Kulubu (Turkey) at the Ali Sami Yen Sport Complex Turk Telekom Arena, in Istanbul, Turkey, on 18 March 2011. The home team lost the game 2-1!

The loudest stadium in baseball is Camden Yards. The Orioles are never a threat. Yankee Stadium is known for being quiet. People make fun of it. One of the Tigers said it was a nice place for quiet contemplation. ESPN complained that it was too quiet. The Yankees do much better than Baltimore.

In 1989 the Calgary Flames had this shiny new stadium called the Saddledome, known for having the worst acoustics and the most quiet atmosphere. They battled Montreal who had the old forum.

The Flames won.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Sure. I would be kind of surprised if there were many NHL arenas as quiet as Rogers Arena, though.
I was just being captain obvious , I don't disagree with you, since I have never and probably never will get the chance to go.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:31 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
The Devils and Penguins are known for having some of the quietest crowds. So is Anaheim.

The Canucks are not...especially when the games matter.

All those teams have had playoff success too.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:39 AM
NoShowWilly

i'll watch the game at home if i need it to be quiet. I turned down tickets to game 7 against Chicago in 2011 for exactly that reason.

If i am going to watch a game with 19000 other people i fully expect it to be loud. Sure it is fun to watch the game develop from the angles one gets in the arena. However, I am paying for an atmosphere and to be a part of the game. It shouldn't be just to watch.

These fanclubs aren't just singing anything. They are singing songs directed at players, directed at the teams. There is thought put into it to support the team. They aren't cheesy. They develop a better atmosphere because they give enough voice to a chant for it to be heard. I don't agree with just being drunken *******s telling players(especially our own) to go **** themselves. That isn't what these guys are doing.

We badly need something more than "Go Canucks Go" and "Luuuuu." We used to chant for players. a "nazzy" chant. an "MVP" chant. we barely hear a taunt against the opposing goalie anymore. I personally love it when you get a good cheer going and the crowd is engaged. There is a buzz in the air that everyone feels.

NoShowWilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:46 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
guys when i am watching a 1 goal game i usually am sitting at the edge of my seat watching attentively rather than standing and waving scarves....

if i was sitting infront of these guys i wouldve been annoyed, they distract from what you go to watch, the game

you cheer on good plays not for the entire game... especially regular season lol

maybe if they lowered the prices of beer more people would be drunk + more noise

but it was the nose bleed section so i dont feel they were in their wrong, if they were in the first row blocking everyone view, different story

edit: i definitely wouldn't have complained about them to the ushers tho lol that was pretty lame

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Bougieman

I was at the game too, and what I found most disconcerting about the Southsiders and all the racket they were making was... how stupidly distracting it was for so many people.

I was noticing heads turning every time they made noise up there (which was pretty much constantly), as if to say "What the..? Can't those people keep it down!? I'm trying to watch HOCKEY, HERE!".

Has it really gotten this bad in Rogers arena? That the sound of Canucks fans BEING FANS is a true annoyance to other Canucks fans? That is so sad, man. I don't even know how you can call yourself a hockey fan if the sound of people cheering your team steams your potatoes. Seriously.

I wish those guys were at every game, and I wish the whole building was full of them.

Last edited by Bougieman: 02-14-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
I was at the game too, and what I found most disconcerting about the Southsiders and all the racket they were making was... how stupidly distracting it was for so many people.

I was noticing heads turning every time they made noise up there (which was pretty much constantly), as if to say "What the..? Can't those people keep it down!? I'm trying to watch HOCKEY, HERE!".

Has it really gotten this bad in Rogers arena? That the sound of Canucks fans BEING FANS is a true annoyance to other Canucks fans? That is so sad, man. I don't even know how you can call yourself a hockey fan if the sound of people cheering your team steams your potatoes. Seriously.

I wish those guys were at every game, and I wish the whole building was full of them.
It's not just noise, It's the soccer style that does not mesh well with the hockey crowd. Chanting once in awhile is fine, during the whole game?, I would go nuts.

I come to watch hockey, hearing the glass crash on hits, and the noises of the crown OOOOing and listening to momentum changes.

Not loud drunk idiots screaming random **** all game, this is not soccer.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It's not just noise, It's the soccer style that does not mesh well with the hockey crowd. Chanting once in awhile is fine, during the whole game?, I would go nuts.

I come to watch hockey, hearing the glass crash on hits, and the noises of the crown OOOOing and listening to momentum changes.

Not loud drunk idiots screaming random **** all game, this is not soccer.
I was always pretty vocal when I went to hockey games. Got my share of dirty looks.

Never understood people who went to game to be quiet. Then again Vacouverites tend love to tell everybody else what to do and to follow the rules. And its obvious the arena rules dont seem to promote a boisterous culture.

But id say your right on the issue above. Not only is the game of hockey in North America not really conducive continuous chanting not to mention the size of the enclosed rink.

I think chants can work in "moderation" but at the same time I personally dont see the point of a chant unless its at a minimum funny like some of the european foot ball chants can be.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Heres my challenge to those who are promoting the Southsiders "style".

Post your witty and original chant that you think will fire up the place. And no not some lame rip off of a football chant.

Something original.

http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/songs/

Last edited by Lonny Bohonos: 02-14-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old
02-14-2013, 03:58 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
how often do you hear soccer chants at NFL games...

who really cares if the south siders had their feelings hurt, buncha cry babies it seems like making a big deal on 1040 about it

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:04 AM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

I live in Alberta so I go to the Canuck games in Edmonton or Calgary. And The Canuck fans at these

games usually about 1000-1500 of us at Oiler games. Are VERY Loud and its AWESOME.

When i go to a game in Vancouver I feel weird when I hoot and holler. Can't say I enjoyed the

Atmosphere to much in Vancouver.

But Hey We Sold out more consecutive games then any other NHL team at the moment!

NonBruinHatingCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Bougieman

If you want to see the game and hear the game, you'll do far better to watch it on TV. You go to the live venue FOR THE ATMOSPHERE! Like seeing live music, it's all about the way the crowd interacts with the experience. And when the crowd is boisterous, it only adds to it. It's the only aspect of the experience that is better when you are there in person.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Proto

I get both sides of this. It would be nice if Canucks fans were a bit louder, and I appreciate the idea behind a group like this. That said, I want Canucks fans to be louder when something cheer-worthy happens, or because the crowd is amped up for a big game. I don't think forced cheering when nothing is happening in a meaningless game against Minnesota is altogether impressive.

If I'm at a game, I want to hear the crowd go nuts when the Canucks score, or there's a big hit, or the Canucks kill off a big power play, or there's a fight, or it's the Hawks and the team's down a goal and has pressure in the offensive zone, or Luongo makes a big save. I don't want to hear a group of people screaming and hollering incessantly for three hours and trying to start chants every 5 minutes. That would drive me $*&#ing nuts.

Maybe the Southsiders need to dial it down a notch and be a bit more targeted in the when and how angle of this. I sure wouldn't want to pay thousands of dollars for season tickets to get stuck with a group of screamers behind me every night. There has to be middle ground here.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:56 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you want to see the game and hear the game, you'll do far better to watch it on TV. You go to the live venue FOR THE ATMOSPHERE! Like seeing live music, it's all about the way the crowd interacts with the experience. And when the crowd is boisterous, it only adds to it. It's the only aspect of the experience that is better when you are there in person.
At a concert or any live event the best atmosphere is when the act brings out the excitement and the crowd interaction. If the show sucks all the cheering in the world will not change that and to me a hockey game is the same. I cheer and get excited when the game warrants it, big hit, good scoring chance or great defensive play will get me out of my seat. For me the event dictates the enthusiasm in which I participate in the event.

As for the southsiders hey what ever fills you boots. It seems to me that they have a need to feel like they are above just a regular fan and are more a part of the team. Really not my thing.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Crows*

The best crowds this City had were in the early 2000s when the team was on the rise and scrapped to make the playoffs under Crawford.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Proto

Quote:
Disagree. If I'm at a concert and someone is going above and beyond what's normal and just screaming/loudly singing (horribly, usually) over top of the music, I hate that person with an unyielding intensity

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
This isn't true at all. How about the god-***** music!?

My favorite live performances are when the audience is listening intently and go nuts between songs rather than drown out the music. It's why the Beatles stopped playing live-- because of the mentality you just described. Yes, some people goto the concert for the crowd atmosphere (I think that's nuts, personally), but some people go for the music. Same logic here.

Alot of people are saying what you're saying. Don't you think it's silly and going way too far to tell people that they aren't welcome to buy tickets to see the game if you aren't going to participate in the interactive element and think that being there and watching the game in person is an incredible way to watch it?

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
jimmythescot

You know when the crowd cheers a line going for a change after hemming in the opponent for a shift? That's the equivalent of when a soccer crowd would do the chant associated with a player who orchestrated a nice bit of play.

It's not constant noise for most teams, and it's a reaction to what's going on. The most common time for my team to chant is when the ball is out of play, especially when a corner or free kick has been awarded.

The constant noise crowds impress me in a way, but I find it irritating.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
You know when the crowd cheers a line going for a change after hemming in the opponent for a shift? That's the equivalent of when a soccer crowd would do the chant associated with a player who orchestrated a nice bit of play.

It's not constant noise for most teams, and it's a reaction to what's going on. The most common time for my team to chant is when the ball is out of play, especially when a corner or free kick has been awarded.

The constant noise crowds impress me in a way, but I find it irritating.
Absolutely. It's fake, too. Cheering should be natural, the way you're describing. Make noise when something incites you to make a noise

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote