HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs acquire Dustin Tokarski (TB) for Cedrick Desjardins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
  #51
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,273
vCash: 500
Tokarski is a RFA, Desjardins is a UFA. Decent move in terms of asset management.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 AM
  #52
Stive Morgan
Canada's Team
 
Stive Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 50
From Tokarski's Wikipedia page.


Stive Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
  #53
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Desjardins has won the Memorial Cup in Juniors and the Kelly Cup in Professional hockey. He won the MVP of the Memorial Cup tournament and the MVP of the Kelly Cup Playoffs.

Toraski played all of one good game in the WJC and that was against Sweden.

Your statement is completely false.
Hey, guess what?

Tokarski got the MVP in the Memorial Cup as well.
Tokarski is 4 years younger than "Cedrick".
"Cedrick" has never won anything in World competitions.
Tokarski was undedeated in Canada's gold medal win. No matter how many goals he let in. He shut to door in the final against Sweden, and was the only guy to beat Russia and USA in this tournament.

No matter how you slice it, his accomplishments are far more impressive than Desjardins. I'm not a homer, but that's a great trade, especially since he is even exempted of waivers if we want to send him back down next season.

Before answering me in an arrogant fashion claiming that I'm completely wrong, verify the actual facts.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
  #54
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,724
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Exactly. His only chance in NHL action and he was incredible.

Tokarski has had a handful of NHL games and his stats look terrible.
Same goes to you, this is a minor deal involving an AHL vet player that recently passed through waivers for a prospect.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  #55
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Tokarski is a RFA, Desjardins is a UFA. Decent move in terms of asset management.
Exactly why I like the trade.

Desjardins is the better goalie right now though.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  #56
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
To be honest I see this as a nothing for nothing trade but how can you be sure Desjardins will be nothing but Tokarski will be something when his stats are:

2-0-0
1.00 GAA
.968 sv%

in the NHL.
Because he can play big when needed and was unreal last year, so if he can rebound from his slump the last 10-15 games, he has still starter potential. Look at the stats in the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu
Dustin Tokarski's numbers with Norfolk during their run to the Calder Cup last spring: 14 GP, 12-2, 1.46 GAA, .944 SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
BTW

they aren't very happy in the Tampa Boards. Kind of Baffled them.
How could we be happy, before this summer he was our only hope for a future starter, but now Lindback is playing good, Vasilevski is unreal good and Janus has passed Tic on the deptchart. I see some reason behind the trade, but we should have made a package and get a better return

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
  #57
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Exactly. His only chance in NHL action and he was incredible.

Tokarski has had a handful of NHL games and his stats look terrible.
Very small sample sizes are fun.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  #58
roy munson
Registered User
 
roy munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
You're in Tampa and then BANG! your in Montreal

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  #59
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Exactly why I like the trade.

Desjardins is the better goalie right now though.
How many Bulldogs games have you watched this year. Desjardins has been outplayed by Robert Mayer of all people. He was horrible all year long. Not sure which one of those two is the best goalie right now, but I doubt I would say Desjardins' much better than anyone as of now.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
  #60
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The capgeek waiver calculator confirms he's exempt.
He's definitely exempt _this season_. The CapGeek calculator says 1 year "not including 2012-13", though. So that 1 year evapourates after this season. I ran Dumont too just to compare the calculator terminology, and they give the same thing for him, for example... "1 year"... not including 2012-13.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
  #61
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Hey, guess what?

Tokarski got the MVP in the Memorial Cup as well.
Tokarski is 4 years younger than "Cedrick".
"Cedrick" has never won anything in World competitions.
Tokarski was undedeated in Canada's gold medal win. No matter how many goals he let in. He shut to door in the final against Sweden, and was the only guy to beat Russia and USA in this tournament.

No matter how you slice it, his accomplishments are far more impressive than Desjardins. I'm not a homer, but that's a great trade, especially since he is even exempted of waivers if we want to send him back down next season.

Before answering me in an arrogant fashion claiming that I'm completely wrong, verify the actual facts.
First of all, nice follow-up. Too bad you're still wrong though. You stated Desjardins won nothing. I was just stating the facts otherwise to prove that you were wrong. So, I guess I did state the actual facts. Thanks for coming out.

As far as Cerdick not winning anything in World Competitions - so? There are lots of junior players who win that go on to do nothing and vice-versa. Desjardins never got a shot or maybe he would have won - who knows?

Tokarski is a solid piece, I like the trade for the RFA reasons, but to say Desjardins has won nothing was flat out wrong, so this post above was just a waste of time.

Desjardins also won the QMJHL championship as well. So while Tokarski has had a more storied history, Desjardins' is pretty good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
How many Bulldogs games have you watched this year. Desjardins has been outplayed by Robert Mayer of all people. He was horrible all year long. Not sure which one of those two is the best goalie right now, but I doubt I would say Desjardins' much better than anyone as of now.
About 15.

Desjardins has had some rough nights, no doubt about it. But he's also playing in front of one of the worst AHL teams I've seen in years.

As far being out-played by Mayer? Don't think so. Desjardins has posted better stats so far this season and has definitely been the better goalie over the past month. He was injured to start the season and that slowed him down considerably, IMO. Since Christmas, he's only had two really bad games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Very small sample sizes are fun.
Yes, they are. He's been a better AHL goalie to this point in his career too, which is on a much larger sample size.


Last edited by Hawkguy: 02-14-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
  #62
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,030
vCash: 500
Does this make Bergy a worse GM than Goats? At least Goat got Niinimakki (sic) who's better than Tokarski.

Bergy


shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #63
131313
Registered User
 
131313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,166
vCash: 500
What happened to the 6"8 goalie the Habs drafted a couple of years ago ?

Btw i like this deal from an assets management POV. And Torkarski is still young and still has potential. He reminds me a bit of Halak

131313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:15 AM
  #64
Leo Getz
Registered User
 
Leo Getz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Does this make Bergy a worse GM than Goats? At least Goat got Niinimakki (sic) who's better than Tokarski.

Bergy

You weren't even close on the spelling of Ramo.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
  #65
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
You weren't even close on the spelling of Ramo.


I almost died.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
  #66
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,235
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
What happened to the 6"8 goalie the Habs drafted a couple of years ago ?

Btw i like this deal from an assets management POV. And Torkarski is still young and still has potential. He reminds me a bit of Halak
Jason Missiaien? Last time I saw him he was in the Rangers organization, too lazy to HockeyDB him (and that would also involve me figuring out how to spell his last name).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
  #67
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 400
Absolutely nothing to complain about in this deal.

The difference in current form is negligible, Tokarski is younger, has better pedigree, size and a higher ceiling.

We had absolutely nothing in terms of goalie depth, this certainly helps.

I like it, glad to have a proactive GM who notices and addresses needs.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
  #68
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
Which Pierre McGuire is very excited about.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
  #69
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
What happened to the 6"8 goalie the Habs drafted a couple of years ago ?

Btw i like this deal from an assets management POV. And Torkarski is still young and still has potential. He reminds me a bit of Halak
Jason Misseain. I remember the year he was drafted. Having seen him play many times in junior, I was baffled why he was picked (I know it was his size).

Think he went to Rangers farm team for while.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #70
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Jason Missiaien? Last time I saw him he was in the Rangers organization, too lazy to HockeyDB him (and that would also involve me figuring out how to spell his last name).
Yeah, he's playing for the Whale. I think he's sitting pretty on a 4.00 GAA and a SV% well on the wrong side of .900.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #71
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
What happened to the 6"8 goalie the Habs drafted a couple of years ago ?
He's in the AHL/ECHL with the rangers farm team, the Habs opted not to offer him a contract.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  #72
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
First of all, nice follow-up. Too bad you're still wrong though. You stated Desjardins won nothing. I was just stating the facts otherwise to prove that you were wrong. So, I guess I did state the actual facts. Thanks for coming out.

As far as Cerdick not winning anything in World Competitions - so? There are lots of junior players who win that go on to do nothing and vice-versa. Desjardins never got a shot or maybe he would have won - who knows?

Tokarski is a solid piece, I like the trade for the RFA reasons, but to say Desjardins has won nothing was flat out wrong, so this post above was just a waste of time.


About 15.

Desjardins has had some rough nights, no doubt about it. But he's also playing in front of one of the worst AHL teams I've seen in years.

As far being out-played by Mayer? Don't think so. Desjardins has posted better stats so far this season and has definitely been the better goalie over the past month. He was injured to start the season and that slowed him down considerably, IMO. Since Christmas, he's only had two really bad games.
Hmm... nice job putting words in my mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Still won a gold medal, more than anything Desjardins won at this stage. He won everywhere and is much younger than C.D.
Has Desjardins ever won anything in World competitions? No. That's what I said, and no matter what you say, THIS is a fact. And that was my argument. Tokarski has more experience on more different levels. I don't know if he'll ever become anything relevant in the NHL, but this is a fact. And the upside in Tokarski is much higher than the one of Desjardins. He's extremly soft on rebounds and his vision of the play is mediocre.

As for Mayer, he's played for .500 this season. Desjardins, with the same team, is 6 games under .500. Bottom line, the Bulldogs have won significantly more with Mayer in net. That's what a #1 goalie is there for; win games.

Tokarski still has a very interesting pedigree, including a Calder Cup win last season, in which he was brillant. We'll see where it leads us, but I'm more comfortable with our depth between the pipes on the middle-term with DT than CD.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:21 AM
  #73
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!
 
Hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Hmm... nice job putting words in my mouth...



Has Desjardins ever won anything in World competitions? No. That's what I said, and no matter what you say, THIS is a fact. And that was my argument. Tokarski has more experience on more different levels. I don't know if he'll ever become anything relevant in the NHL, but this is a fact. And the upside in Tokarski is much higher than the one of Desjardins. He's extremly soft on rebounds and his vision of the play is mediocre.

As for Mayer, he's played for .500 this season. Desjardins, with the same team, is 6 games under .500. Bottom line, the Bulldogs have won significantly more with Mayer in net. That's what a #1 goalie is there for; win games.
First things first, sorry if I read your thing wrong. I thought you meant at this stage in their careers, not specifically the World stage. My apologies.

Secondly... judging a goalie on wins is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
  #74
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Minor move with potential upside. I like this deal

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
  #75
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
First things first, sorry if I read your thing wrong. I thought you meant at this stage in their careers, not specifically the World stage. My apologies.

Secondly... judging a goalie on wins is probably one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
When they play with the same team in front of them, and the different is that big, it's somehow relevant I would say.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.