HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 AM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Im in love with his sister
saw her at the last Leafs game, she is tall and pretty cute

Old
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
macavoy

I say let the kid play 12 minutes all year, yea we all dream of him being a top 6 center right away but lets be realistic. Do you want him burnt out next year? How many kids go through a sophomore slump. How many 18 year olds have had trouble adjusting to a long gruelling NHL season from Jr.

He played zero hockey last year basically. Lets not burn him out, think long term. Sheltered minutes is good for his development, his confidence AND at the same time it prevents him from getting an ego. How many people have we hurt by rushing them.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
His lack of ice-time is starting to frustrate me..

5-on-3 situation is the perfect time to give him some confidence.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Ya but a 5 on 3 situation is also a good opportunity to score a goal and Therrien will use his "veterans" instead.

He started building up Gally's confidence really well the first 7 games and now it's like he's hit a brick wall with him, doesn't know what to do further because he refuses to support him by increasing his on-ice responsibilities, instead he thinks a good talk 1-on-1 will help his confidence. No dummy, you have to show it by giving him ice time too, not just in blow outs but in actual critical situations.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I like what I see from him. This is Montreal, keep focus and play simple. He does and moves the puck fast. Last game, he did try a few things but the puck doesn't follow with him. He need to start carying the puck more, take a few more steps with it. Drive the net and make sure your shots hit the net.
We all want him to have more ice time but wait a bit. At the same time, he needs to start producing in order to gain ice time. Only 1 goal and but....doesn't hurt the team and has a impact on the games.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Ya but a 5 on 3 situation is also a good opportunity to score a goal and Therrien will use his "veterans" instead.

He started building up Gally's confidence really well the first 7 games and now it's like he's hit a brick wall with him, doesn't know what to do further because he refuses to support him by increasing his on-ice responsibilities, instead he thinks a good talk 1-on-1 will help his confidence. No dummy, you have to show it by giving him ice time too, not just in blow outs but in actual critical situations.
There's nothing wrong with the way Galchenyuk is being used, or with whom he has been playing this year.

Therrien has been down this road before with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Letang, Chill.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Bekbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
There's nothing wrong with the way Galchenyuk is being used, or with whom he has been playing this year.

Therrien has been down this road before with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury and Letang, Chill.
and Jordan Staal

Old
02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Erik Estrada

Time for MT to limit the mollycoddling. More minutes please...

Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

The only way to get Galchenyuk more minutes is by playing him on the wing. 27-81-73 should be a regular trio.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
The only way to get Galchenyuk more minutes is by playing him on the wing. 27-81-73 should be a regular trio.
No.

Eller should be centering but not at Gally's expense. DD needs to be moved.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:17 AM
DenverHabsFan

Not trying to nitpick about AGally's play but does he always rush to get the puck to other players? I've only seen highlights from his play in Sarnia and was just wondering why he won't control the puck and settle down. Is it just nerves or is that really his style of play?

Old
02-15-2013, 10:23 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Not trying to nitpick about AGally's play but does he always rush to get the puck to other players? I've only seen highlights from his play in Sarnia and was just wondering why he won't control the puck and settle down. Is it just nerves or is that really his style of play?
He's still adapting. Still finding out what works and what doesn't. Last night I saw him holding onto the puck longer and making some great plays.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:38 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
He's still adapting. Still finding out what works and what doesn't. Last night I saw him holding onto the puck longer and making some great plays.
He looks so nervous on and off the ice. His post-game comments last night, he looked terrified to answer questions. Sort of like a new kid you hire and doesn't speak up at meetings and just nervously answers when the spotlight is on him.

Despite that, he's got over 0.6 PPG with a mere 12 min ATOI. If we can make the playoffs and he can settle down by then, it's going to be fun to watch.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
He looks so nervous on and off the ice. His post-game comments last night, he looked terrified to answer questions. Sort of like a new kid you hire and doesn't speak up at meetings and just nervously answers when the spotlight is on him.

Despite that, he's got over 0.6 PPG with a mere 12 min ATOI. If we can make the playoffs and he can settle down by then, it's going to be fun to watch.
He has looked pretty nervous out there the last 4 or so games, definitely. However, from watching his season evolve in Sarnia the way it did, this seems to be par for the course. If the way he developed as the year went on in Sarnia is any indication, as soon as next year, look the **** out.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
DenverHabsFan

This is when I wish we still had Ryder on the team. The way he can collect loose pucks in front of the net and score garbage goals. It seems Gally somehow gets the puck to Prust at least once a game but he can never convert.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Jakomyte

Tied for 2nd on the team in points. I'd say he's coming along just fine.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

His assist on the OT goal was pretty slick. Shoves Kulikov with his shoulders and pulls the puck back from behind him.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
His assist on the OT goal was pretty slick. Shoves Kulikov with his shoulders and pulls the puck back from behind him.
Less spectacular than a toe drag but a higher level of difficulty. He improvised a move with a player between him and the puck. D gets his pockets picked and is shoved out of the play. Leads to the OT winning goal.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

6 years from now there will be posts about how badly we stooged our greatest prospect's development. Sad part? 99% of it will be true.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
He has looked pretty nervous out there the last 4 or so games, definitely. However, from watching his season evolve in Sarnia the way it did, this seems to be par for the course. If the way he developed as the year went on in Sarnia is any indication, as soon as next year, look the **** out.
Yeah, to be expected. And it wouldn't surprise me if you're right, and he
is an impact player as soon as next season.

But the way to avoid the " sophomore slump " is to keep his icetime
down this season. Therrien seems to be handling this really well. I'd guess
two more months of careful handling might let him feel a lot more
comfortable. And he can get another summer of training in, before he
has to play against first-liners and such.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
This is when I wish we still had Ryder on the team. The way he can collect loose pucks in front of the net and score garbage goals. It seems Gally somehow gets the puck to Prust at least once a game but he can never convert.
That could have been a sweet combo. I always thought Ryder was elite at
taking a pass in traffic. And of course he had a quick, very hard shot. So he
could have been a great " weapon" for Chucky to use.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Until about the 3rd period yesterday and going back 4 or 5 games, I found that Galchenyuk was doing too much thinking on the ice and not playing with instinct. He's learning that he doesn't have an extra split second in the NHL like he did in the OHL (another reason why keeping him was the right move) to make a decision

But in the 3rd, he seemed to be alot more decisive and had a couple of nice rushes.

Whenever this guy gets the puck in the neutral zone with some speed, I get excited...

I think he's coming along fine just needs to think less out there and just feel the game...

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Plante

Quote:

18 and entering the NHL ... I think any sane human would be nervous and tentative for his first season

Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
6 years from now there will be posts about how badly we stooged our greatest prospect's development. Sad part? 99% of it will be true.
What do you think should be done differently. It seems to may that
they are handling Chucky really well.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Habruti!

He looks better the Marian Hossa looked at a similar age (believe Hossa was 1year older when he started in Ottawa). I am not worried. Just curious to see where the ceiling is...

Closed Thread