HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
02-14-2013, 06:26 AM
oilwings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Over the last few years we have seen lots of goalies traded: Craig Anderson, Semyon Varlamov, Jaroslav Halak, Bobrovsky, Lehtonen, Lindback, etc.

None of them have returned a package of a 1st + top prospect/roster player, and se of them are better and more proven than Bernier.

If that truly is the asking price the Kings will either keep him or come off their price.

I think getting a 1st in this draft for your backup goalie would be a good trade for them, asking for more seems greedy in comparison to recent deals.
To me Bernier is different. He's a very good tender. I hope Tambo do trade for him as I'm still not sold on DD. Anyways, Semyon Varlamov was traded for a 1st round pick and a 2nd in 2012 or 2013. If the Caps continue to struggle this yr the Avs will get a very good 2nd round pick in a deep draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=568023

oilwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Ahh yeah no i think i ll aim where i am. As reported on tsn during intermission (feb 1st i belive) by darren Dreggar the kings are after a young top 6 player or top prospect and a 1st round pick is what dean lombardi is after. So what im asking is belived to be what dl is asking
Remind me how often GMs get exactly what they ask for.

He will not get that type of return.

A 2nd and a mid grade prospect is about what they will get. Or hey, you can keep him and let this apparent #1 goaltender rot.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
To me Bernier is different. He's a very good tender. I hope Tambo do trade for him as I'm still not sold on DD. Anyways, Semyon Varlamov was traded for a 1st round pick and a 2nd in 2012 or 2013. If the Caps continue to struggle this yr the Avs will get a very good 2nd round pick in a deep draft.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=568023
You're reading it wrong. The 2nd round pick went from COL (originally from BOS) to WAS. The Caps packaged it with Eakin to get Ribeiro.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
He's ready to take on a starting role... where do you guys think he will end up and what return will he bring
He'll stay with the Kings. Most every team has an established goalie that is better or a young one as good. Reimer has outplayed him in Toronto. Since he's unproven -- nobody is going to fork over a first round pick -- he'll need to be dealt for a second. This seems unlikely since L.A. is high on him.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Ahh yeah no i think i ll aim where i am. As reported on tsn during intermission (feb 1st i belive) by darren Dreggar the kings are after a young top 6 player or top prospect and a 1st round pick is what dean lombardi is after. So what im asking is belived to be what dl is asking
This is the price for a good -- PROVEN -- starting goalie. Even Halak didn't fetch that. Bernier is going to sit on the bench in L.A. for a long, long, long time if that is the price.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Doesn't matter what we think.

Matters what Lombardi does, and all sources say that Lombardi's price remains high.

So far, no team has been willing to pay it.

The Kings can even control Johnny B for another two years I believe(RFA).

So I don't see Lombardi coming off the price. Really no reason too.
It doesn't matter What Johnny B wants, he is stuck with the Kings.

Unless he wants to deep six his own career.
For the next few months. He is an RFA at year end. If another team truly thinks he is a starter, they can give him a $2.5M offer or so. Can the Kings afford that for a backup? In a year in which the Cap will drop by $6M?

Probably not, or at least they probably shouldn't. Odds are the extra $1.25M could be better spent elsewhere. The compensation at that point would be a 2nd round pick.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Not gonna wind up in Buffalo though. Goaltending is a strength there. Miller is a beast and on a real hockey team he's as good as Luongo or Rinne
Miller is fine. Enroth is awful. I'd definitely be happy to give LA Enroth + a pick to get Bernier. He's not much more proven than Enroth, but at least you can't score five hole on him with an errant pass from center ice.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

I think New Jersey gets him at the draft to give them a goalie of the future.

02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
daveleaf

I would love to see him in Toronto with Reimer but doubt it happens.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I would like to see him either with the Devils or the Flames as he is not the numebr 1 guy in LA.

Once Babchuk is back.

Bernier, Penner
For
Jaybow, McDonald

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Miller is fine. Enroth is awful. I'd definitely be happy to give LA Enroth + a pick to get Bernier. He's not much more proven than Enroth, but at least you can't score five hole on him with an errant pass from center ice.
This trade makes no sense for Bernier. Jonathan Bernier will be a #1 goalie in this league soon. The question is how good can Bernier be? I like his potential alot and he has played well at all levels. In the NHL he is unproven but he was drafted high as a starter with star expectations. The Kings are doing him an injustice by not letting him play enough. The less he plays the more his value goes down as well.
Eventually he will force a trade if they wait forever and the value of Bernier is not as high as a Varlamov simply because he isnt showcased enough.
No team in the league wants unhappy players in the lockerroom either.

So on to Buffalo.
The Kings trade him to the Sabres for what reason?

He wants to start and get paid alot of money. So trade him to a team that wont make him a starter?

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Over the last few years we have seen lots of goalies traded: Craig Anderson, Semyon Varlamov, Jaroslav Halak, Bobrovsky, Lehtonen, Lindback, etc.

None of them have returned a package of a 1st + top prospect/roster player, and se of them are better and more proven than Bernier.

If that truly is the asking price the Kings will either keep him or come off their price.

I think getting a 1st in this draft for your backup goalie would be a good trade for them, asking for more seems greedy in comparison to recent deals.
Especially for a guy who is unproven. Just because he was drafted high and has performed well at times doesnt mean that he will be a successful #1 goalie in this league.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
This trade makes no sense for Bernier. Jonathan Bernier will be a #1 goalie in this league soon. The question is how good can Bernier be? I like his potential alot and he has played well at all levels. In the NHL he is unproven but he was drafted high as a starter with star expectations. The Kings are doing him an injustice by not letting him play enough. The less he plays the more his value goes down as well.
Eventually he will force a trade if they wait forever and the value of Bernier is not as high as a Varlamov simply because he isnt showcased enough.

So on to Buffalo.

He wants to start and get paid alot of money. So trade him to a team that wont make him a starter?
If he outplays Miller he can be the starter.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:43 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:

the kings will keep him AGAIN THERE IS NOT A NEED TO TRADE HIM. HE IS NEEDED FOR THE CUP REPEAT RUN. HE WILL BE RFA AFTER THIS SEASON.THERE FOR SIGNED FOR CHEAP WHICH KEEP HIS VALUE HIGH. I think people need to realize this. They are under some reason he has to be traded he doesnt. Our gm has gone on record saying hes not being shopped If ur interested that is the price if the kings are fine keeping him. If at the deadline after all the back to backs are gone Maybe they lower it who knows but for right now it its the price to pay. Now ones forceing anyone to trade for him.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:49 AM
birddog*

Quote:
the kings will keep him AGAIN THERE IS NOT A NEED TO TRADE HIM. HE IS NEEDED FOR THE CUP REPEAT RUN. HE WILL BE RFA AFTER THIS SEASON.THERE FOR SIGNED FOR CHEAP WHICH KEEP HIS VALUE HIGH. I think people need to realize this. They are under some reason he has to be traded he doesnt. Our gm has gone on record saying hes not being shopped If ur interested that is the price if the kings are fine keeping him. If at the deadline after all the back to backs are gone Maybe they lower it who knows but for right now it its the price to pay. Now ones forceing anyone to trade for him.
He fits best in L.A. as a back-up. He hasn't shown he's ready for number one duties anywhere. Despite what he might think.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Remind me how often GMs get exactly what they ask for.

He will not get that type of return.

A 2nd and a mid grade prospect is about what they will get. Or hey, you can keep him and let this apparent #1 goaltender rot.
Again the kings are more then happy with jb as there backup Dl (kings gm) has stated he s not shopping him nor will he. He will be a important piece to the stanly cup return run. So thanks for the advice but im sure they know what there doing. Again im sure dean is asking a high price cause he doesnt want to let him go and is fine with Why trade someone when ur happy with what they bring your going to ask for a high price.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He'll stay with the Kings. Most every team has an established goalie that is better or a young one as good. Reimer has outplayed him in Toronto. Since he's unproven -- nobody is going to fork over a first round pick -- he'll need to be dealt for a second. This seems unlikely since L.A. is high on him.
Again Reimer hasnt outplayed him for that to be true they would have to play the same amount of game in the same amoung of time. Remier also seem to me to be a bit fagile and spends alot of time on the il. To me all bernier needs is a chance to play He ll put up better stats if he plays more which he will get this year due to alot of back to back games in la. Lets take alook at him then

Old
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
This is the price for a good -- PROVEN -- starting goalie. Even Halak didn't fetch that. Bernier is going to sit on the bench in L.A. for a long, long, long time if that is the price.
Hes not going to sit on the bench in la this year as much. First off he will play at least the back to back games. Also Sutter has this policy stating he will go with the hotter player and sit anyone that isnt playing well kinda the reason penner sits so much). This will get him into more game i feel this year.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
very possible

Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post

So on to Buffalo.

you do make some good points I agree he will be a #1 goalie soon and i agree he needs to play more. As for him being a issue in the locker room no hes not. He after being asked about his situation said he wants to play more and someday play closer to home. Well to me its only natural for a player to say that. everyone wants to play and he didnt go looking for the press he only made this quote after being asked big difference to me.

As far as the wanting big money he wont get it in la Dean is known for getting players signed for less then they want See jack johnson and drew doughty for examples. I would be amazed if jb make more then 1.75 on his next contract should he have a next contract in la.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
He fits best in L.A. as a back-up. He hasn't shown he's ready for number one duties anywhere. Despite what he might think.
well him being a number one starter isnt just what he think I ve heard pretty much every tsn analyist say he has the tools at one point or another and is ready for a shot. Also heard kypero and maclean say it on sportsnet as well. So its not just him saying he can do it despite ur view on things. I think u need to see him play more if u dont think hes ready I think ur looking at numbers and not at his play

Old
02-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Mats26
Cup Champs

You don't trade Bernier for a bandaid. Striet is 35 UFA, no need for him. What we need going forward is young skilled wingers for our top 3 centers. Bernier will be traded with the future in mind, not for a quick stop gap. I see him traded this summer to the Devils or Toronto. And no Forbort is not going to be moved.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Calgary be calling his name

Baertschi for Bernier

Let the war begin...

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
vanwest

I can't see him fetching a huge return at this point. His stats for last year are pretty mediocre on a good defensive team. LA should hold onto him for at least this year and if he gets enough games and puts up solid numbers then they could trade him in the summer.

Last edited by vanwest: 02-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Calgary be calling his name

Baertschi for Bernier

Let the war begin...
I think most flames fans would riot if that happened.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote