Jets Acquire Tangradi From Penguins

Old
02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Pens fan here.. just wanted to fill you Jets guys in..

I've been following Tangradi or "The Big Dog" as he's known since his junior days with Belleville in the OHL.

This kid will become a great power forward in the league. He is not moveable from the front of the net/crease while screening a goalie (specialized on the Power play).

You guys got a steal here for a 7th.

Thanks for the info!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Top six is where the problem is not tinkering with the 4th line, everyone knew last season the Jets couldn't score, the team also needed to be more physical, bringing in two soft old veterans ponki, jonki) both reluctant to hit didn't solve anything, every other team in the league is going young and the Jets go with two old guys.

Cormier and Mach in a Jets uniform would be a start.
Agree with you on this one Sippy.Not scoring either

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
last i checked you dont get extra points in the standings for acquiring players without paying much.....the 'build by waver wire' approach has not been fruitful thus far.

fact is, other than jokinen every transaction Chevy has made has been fringe players who have not worked out.....we wont look back at his legacy and say, yeah he missed the playoffs every year but he was good at signing guys for the league minimum.

in the end its about winning...who cares what it cost....your points are not pro-rated against how much you spend....i couldnt care less how much a player makes....a cheap bad player is worse than a mediocre expensive one in my opinion.

montoya had the 43rd best save percentage in the league last year...one of only a few worse than pavalec.....i dont buy that there were no other options.....there are lots of options...there are 60 NHL goalies....make a trade...why else is Chevy there?
Firstly, it's been one year. Second, Chevy has stated he's not going to make a splash for the sake of making a splash. What other options should have Chevy tried in getting a backup goaltender? You tell me what he should have done.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:43 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
last i checked you dont get extra points in the standings for acquiring players without paying much.....the 'build by waver wire' approach has not been fruitful thus far.

fact is, other than jokinen every transaction Chevy has made has been fringe players who have not worked out.....we wont look back at his legacy and say, yeah he missed the playoffs every year but he was good at signing guys for the league minimum.

in the end its about winning...who cares what it cost....your points are not pro-rated against how much you spend....i couldnt care less how much a player makes....a cheap bad player is worse than a mediocre expensive one in my opinion.

montoya had the 43rd best save percentage in the league last year...one of only a few worse than pavalec.....i dont buy that there were no other options.....there are lots of options...there are 60 NHL goalies....make a trade...why else is Chevy there?

Chevy let Kulda walk, he was called up ahead of Postma and Redmond last season, kind of tells you something.

Acquiring Jonki and Ponki were poor moves, he took a risk signing them both and lost.

He resigned Wellwood, how's that working out?

He picks guys off the waiver wire ignoring his own prospects in St.Johns and some wonder why a guy like Mach is pissed.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Chevy let Kulda walk, he was called up ahead of Postma and Redmond last season, kind of tells you something.

Acquiring Jonki and Ponki were poor moves, he took a risk signing them both and lost.

He resigned Wellwood, how's that working out?

He picks guys off the waiver wire ignoring his own prospects in St.Johns and some wonder why a guy like Mach is pissed.
LOL. People want Machacek sent to the ECHL. But he's a better option than Jokinen. Before you say 'but he was all hurt that he got sent down' he sucked BEFORE the NHL season started.

02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
TroubaFan1

Not sure if im going to prefer him over Poni, but we'll see how this goes I guess.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
LOL. People want Machacek sent to the ECHL. But he's a better option than Jokinen. Before you say 'but he was all hurt that he got sent down' he sucked BEFORE the NHL season started.
Personally I thought Mach was a lock for Glass's spot with Slater and Thorbs, I think part of that equation was that Mach thought so to and his play and attitude in St. Johns suffered.

You have to admit picking up every guy on the waiver wire can't inspire a lot of confidence for the guys playing in St. Johns. Personally I think it's a bad precedent on the other hand the talent in St. Johns may be a little thinner than any of us imagine.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Personally I thought Mach was a lock for Glass's spot with Slater and Thorbs, I think part of that equation was that Mach thought so to and his play and attitude in St. Johns suffered.

You have to admit picking up every guy on the waiver wire can't inspire a lot of confidence for the guys playing in St. Johns. Personally I think it's a bad precedent on the other hand the talent in St. Johns may be a little thinner than any of us imagine.
You have to EARN a call up. Have you seen the friggin gongshow down there? The team was terrible when the NHL was locked out and they are terrible now. The reason Chevy is plucking waiver guys is because no one on the rock deserves to be called up.

You notice how we haven't picked up a defenseman, even when we knew Bogosian was out and when Buff went down? It's because Postma and Redmond earned a promotion and proved they belonged here.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:08 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
You have to EARN a call up. Have you seen the friggin gongshow down there? The team was terrible when the NHL was locked out and they are terrible now. The reason Chevy is plucking waiver guys is because no one on the rock deserves to be called up.

You notice how we haven't picked up a defenseman, even when we knew Bogosian was out and when Buff went down? It's because Postma and Redmond earned a promotion and proved they belonged here.
You may be right, I checked the stats in St. Johns, Mach is -23, Mach'nr is -20 and sadly JaJaff is once again the leading scorer.

To be fair to Chevy the forward cupboard is pretty bare in St.J

Old
02-13-2013, 11:08 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
For me, the jury is still out on Chevy.....Scheif could as easily turn out to be a career AHL player as a top 6 in my opinion......most of his moves have failed...Fehr, Mietennen, Poni were all duds, wright, peluso and clitsome are non factors.....I like jokinen but he hasnt found his stride yet (i realize its early)......montoya scares me.

has he added a single piece to the puzzle yet?.....i understand that some patience is needed, but he hasnt done anything to actually gain my confidence.....He hasnt made the team better in any real way.

hopefully his legacy will be an amazing draft guy.....maybe scheifele gets stronger on his skates and becomes a star.....but in my opinion, its way too early to say "This team is going to be something special in several years."

there is very little evidence to support that.

man, can someone re-size that picture...

i can't really disagree with this, since this is effectively the other side of the coin from where i'm standing.

good and valid points too, peter

that said, just as there is very little apparent evidence we have right now to Chevy's track record, we have even less to consider what his legacy may be

I personally think he's making some decent moves. He seems big on giving guys opportunities, but at the same time he does understand what our record is.

I do feel we need to be patient; this team isn't going to become a consistent playoff contender overnight. I have faith that Chevy understands what kind of pieces build playoff teams, given his success in the past. That might not end up being the case, but we'll see what happens.

We also have to keep in mind, some key pieces on our team are still very young, and time should hopefully give them the experience they need to perform at a higher level where we can start to expect more out of them, but those things are out of Chevy's control. Our team isn't mediocre simply because Chevy makes (or fails to make) these moves. Its also a team with some key pieces simply too young for the shortened 2012-2013 season.

Last edited by roccerfeller: 02-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.
roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Tangradi has shown all the signs you would want from a successful power forward in the NHL to be..... in the OHL and AHL. Very little in the NHL.

The Pens board is split between those who feel that he is useless and those who think we mismanaged his development entirely.

Personally I think if you give him the rest of this season getting consistent shifts on a line that is allowed to get chemistry, you are going to develop a really useful hockey player. But the man probably arrives with zero confidence, although lots of enthusiasm to get a real chance.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

rockefeller...i agree with your points...i was merely presenting the other side...there is a lot of blind faith in true north because they gave us a team.....i love them, but i wont say they are geniuses at building an NHL franchise quite yet.....i am grateful but they will have to prove it to me.

guys like lawless seem to have drunk the cool aid and true north can do no wrong....too often i hear the argument that true north have some greater plan and innate hockey intelligence that will make them be more successful than other franchises.....like they somehow know something the others don't.......to me there is no evidence of it yet......most of their moves have been waiver acquisitions of fringe players......the entire organization is from the AHL.....why should we assume they know what they are doing?

i love jokinen and hope he becomes a good player for us....and this move today is fine by me...its a flyer...chevy has taken several of them...none of which have panned out...except maybe welwood to a certain extent.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Did we just trade for a player that couldn't beat out Tanner ****ing Glass for a roster spot? And get rid of our third line LW?

Oh well... It's not like I haven't suffered through losing seasons before!

Seriously though, I hope he turns out well.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Boreal

I am a huge Cheveldayoff supporter, and yesterday's moves did nothing to change that. Tangradi is a legitimate prospect who can be a quality 3rd liner in the NHL. To acquire him, effectively for free was a big win. Ponikarovsky was not in Winnipeg's long-term plans, that much is obvious. Given that we are not looking at all like a team that is playoff bound, or for that matter has any ability to make noise once we get there, then obtaining youth, letting them play and perhaps slipping into an opportunity to select an ultra-high end offensive talent like MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov is a great course to set as far as I'm concerned.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He's worth a shot for you guys.

Just listen and let Bob Errey sell you on him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Honour Over Glory

Hey guys, I come in peace.

I was one of the few Pens fans that was pissed off with the way Bylsma handled Tangradi, to the point where he crushed his confidence and just insanely misused him and wrote him off without really giving him a proper shot in the top 6. Did he have stuff to work on? Sure, so do a lot of the young guys that are in the NHL with little experience.

I hope Noel knows how to use the youngsters, I still want to see the kid succeed at the NHL level and I think he will. If they start him on the 3rd line and increase his ice time, he'll get there. Bylsma wouldn't even give him that benefit of the doubt, he got straight 4th line minutes, barely any chance.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
He's worth a shot for you guys.

Just listen and let Bob Errey sell you on him.

He made such huge improvements to his health and skating, he started taking his workouts more seriously and he swapped that baby fat for muscle and his skating just started to get more fluid. The folks that tell you he's slow, are wrong. He won't win any skating competitions, but he's an above average skater that is constantly improving.

I'm kind of sad but happy he's gone. He'll now get a chance to be the player he was meant to be.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Hey guys, I come in peace.

I was one of the few Pens fans that was pissed off with the way Bylsma handled Tangradi, to the point where he crushed his confidence and just insanely misused him and wrote him off without really giving him a proper shot in the top 6. Did he have stuff to work on? Sure, so do a lot of the young guys that are in the NHL with little experience.

I hope Noel knows how to use the youngsters, I still want to see the kid succeed at the NHL level and I think he will. If they start him on the 3rd line and increase his ice time, he'll get there. Bylsma wouldn't even give him that benefit of the doubt, he got straight 4th line minutes, barely any chance.
Yikes! I hope we don't Sheifele him too!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
pcanuck

Good and cheap pickup. 7th rounders won't likely work out.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Huffer

At the very least, I'm wondering if we could use him in a "Holmstrom" type role on the PP.

Doesn't seem like we have anyone that is willing to stand in-front of the net and take punishment to screen / deflect any pucks.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Ulf Hullberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Did we just trade for a player that couldn't beat out Tanner ****ing Glass for a roster spot? And get rid of our third line LW?

Oh well... It's not like I haven't suffered through losing seasons before!

Seriously though, I hope he turns out well.
Glass is on a 1 way contract, and he was signed to replace Asham's mins. Tangradi and Glass are definitely not the same type of player.

And hey, maybe our PP now has someone who is willing to stand in front of the net.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

I like the fact that he likes the front of the net because the Jets currently have one guy(Ladd) that goes to the blue paint and scores greasy ones. The one thing I have noticed is that the Jets offense spends way too much time along the boards with no one in front of the net if they win the puck battle, thus, the play stays on the perimeter. Most goals in the NHL are scored within 10' of the net. IMO this is where our size must be utilized.

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Hullberg View Post
Glass is on a 1 way contract, and he was signed to replace Asham's mins. Tangradi and Glass are definitely not the same type of player.

And hey, maybe our PP now has someone who is willing to stand in front of the net.
May not be same style, just like Poni wasn't Glass' style either... but Glass was the one that got the 3rd line LW spot for a while with Sutter...
So yes, he did win out, contract status doesn't mean too much; how many of us think Redmond deserves a spot over Clitsome here... What about 1way contract Gagnon?

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
I like the fact that he likes the front of the net because the Jets currently have one guy(Ladd) that goes to the blue paint and scores greasy ones. The one thing I have noticed is that the Jets offense spends way too much time along the boards with no one in front of the net if they win the puck battle, thus, the play stays on the perimeter. Most goals in the NHL are scored within 10' of the net. IMO this is where our size must be utilized.
Totally agree

Samcanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:10 PM
fergiesbeak

No complaints here. Got a guy whose younger,tougher,cheaper and a 4th rounder for the poni express. Whats not to like.Good job Chevy.Maybe some people where expecting to get a guy like James Neal for the poni show.not sure what they want Chevy to do. Maybe if he just talks real nice to the other GM's in the league and tells them we really need one of your good players for a pile of crap player done deal.Whatever u want Chevy.

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote