HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Devils poised to take over Atlantic?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, all you Devils fans that are laughing at the pathetic 8th seeded Rangers. Your team is 5 points ahead with 1 more game played 13 games in. Is that really enough to laugh at the pathetic 8th seeded Rangers? Funny how you guys had a ridiculous start an we've been widely inconsistent and pretty damn close to you.
I dont think anyone here has called the Ranger pathetic. Though, it is funny how it seems that you are trying to convey that your team should currently be in the conversation of being number 1 in the Atlantic when after 25% of this year they are, as you say, playing widely inconsistent and 5 points behind.

You also like projecting things based on past statistics, so with that in mind the Rangers will end in 8th place with 49 points being 12 points back of NJ... and still playing widely inconsistent.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Kings - Boston last two winners. Rangers aren't nearly as good as people think they are. Last year GA was very low due to the coach's strategy to block as many shots as possible and Henrik having a career year.
We weren't even the top shot blocking team in the league... pretty sure it was the Capitals or Isles (lol goes to show shot blocking doesn't equal success). The defense was just very good at keeping teams away from the slots and forcing them to take shots from the perimeter.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Who's laughing?
Who said the Rangers were pathetic?
Going a little too far there. I don't think they have the depth to make a deep run successfully, that's not pathetic or laughing though..

And our start isn't that ridiculous, remember we're basically 8-5

5 points in 13 games is a pretty decent spread though. You're as close to us as the Islanders are to you and they haven't won in over a week.
This. I'm tired of Rangers fans saying we're better than the Devils. We're clearly not.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
We weren't even the top shot blocking team in the league... pretty sure it was the Capitals or Isles (lol goes to show shot blocking doesn't equal success). The defense was just very good at keeping teams away from the slots and forcing them to take shots from the perimeter.
Makes sense, Rangers were a strong puck possession team up until playoff time. I think some people just dont like Rangers shot blocking because they fully commit all the time when they go for a block (instead of the usual standing in front of the shot block). I wonder if Caps or Isles gave up the most shots in the league, which leads to more shots being blocked.

EDIT: Just looked it up, those two teams were in the middle of the pack (shots against). I guess people just dont like the Rangers shot blocking because they are damn good at it.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 02-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
I dont see a lot of people laughing. Of course you get some boneheads. Its a long season, even with a 48 game season, still lots of hockey left.

This thread was about...

Devils Penguins home and home (created by Red Wings fan)
Turned to Devils trap/boring discussion (see PIT fans)
Turned into why Devils fans get so defensive (see NJ/NYC/PHI discussion)
Turned into history lesson (see WWII topic)
Now we have some fans from both franchises having a pissing match ()
You forgot the Newark is scary and you will die there!!!!!! discussion lol.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This. I'm tired of Rangers fans saying we're better than the Devils. We're clearly not.
Right now, no. Who knows what will happen by the end of the year though.

Would not be surprised at all if the Rangers finish ahead of the Devils. If it comes to another playoff matchup.. I like our chances as I did going in last year because of our well our system matches up against your system.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
You forgot the Newark is scary and you will die there!!!!!! discussion lol.
Now how did I miss this.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Makes sense, Rangers were a strong puck possession team up until playoff time. I think some people just dont like Rangers shot blocking because they fully commit all the time when they go for a block (instead of the usual standing in front of the shot block). I wonder if Caps or Isles gave up the most shots in the league, which leads to more shots being blocked.

EDIT: Just looked it up, those two teams were in the middle of the pack. I guess people just dont like the Rangers shot blocking because they are damn good at it.
I tried looking it up but found nothing... where did we rank? I could've sworn Capitals were ahead of us. Maybe the Isles just had the top shot blocker?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:57 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
I tried looking it up but found nothing... where did we rank? I could've sworn Capitals were ahead of us. Maybe the Isles just had the top shot blocker?
6th in the league with 27.8 shots against per game. I didnt look up blocked shots I was just curious to see if the Isles and Caps were last in shots against to see if that lead to higher shot blocking.

EDIT: I edited that comment and it says shots against, sorry for the confusion!

Old
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Not at the point of the season, no but there are 36 games left in the season. Or will you tell me that you know that the Devils will be better at the end of the season? If so what are the lotto numbers?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

EDIT: Just looked it up, those two teams were in the middle of the pack (shots against). I guess people just dont like the Rangers shot blocking because they are damn good at it.
I don't think that the Rangers were really a good puck possession team last year. I personally would prefer the Rangers be a puck possession team that doesn't have to block that many shots.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
I don't think that the Rangers were really a good puck possession team last year. I personally would prefer the Rangers be a puck possession team that doesn't have to block that many shots.
I thought they were pretty solid in that area during the first half. You guys buzzed around the offensive zone in many many games.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
I thought they were pretty solid in that area during the first half. You guys buzzed around the offensive zone in many many games.
It should be interesting to see them against Philadelphia.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
NjDevsRR

Just heard on Boomer and Carton (NYC radio) that Deboer is not doing a good job, trading for Ponikarovsky is a panic move, and Deboer will be fired by the end of the year...yup just another day.

Thats the stuff we hear on a daily basis. No clue.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Just heard on Boomer and Carton (NYC radio) that Deboer is not doing a good job, trading for Ponikarovsky is a panic move, and Deboer will be fired by the end of the year...yup just another day.

Seriously?

Old
02-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
The Rangers were awful at puck possession for the first half of last year. Throughout the second half they were every good, though.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
The Defense is overrated because your goalie is so good.
So, by that logic Neidermeyer, Stevens, Danyko, Driver, et al were all extremely overrated since they were backed up by Big Poppy.

The numbers are helped by Hank. But when you watch these guys eliminate the best players in the league before they can get a scoring chance you realize that they are pretty damn good (and young).

Old
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Lots a confidence for a team who is still 8th in the East. You admit that your team isnt deep when playing other teams that are deep but then claim you think they will reach the finals if not win... yet the playoffs are filled with deep teams... so good luck with that.

I also enjoy the 'he would have been a XX scorer if not for (insert excuse)'...
is 8th in the east really that important 12 games into the season? Was 1st in the East all that important three rounds into the playoffs? Do you see how utterly dumb this refrain is? Quit while you're ahead.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
I feel like this thread is slowly turing back into the 'The Rangers are Unstoppable' thread with this new influx of posts about how amazing and deep the Rangers are.

Devils might as well forfeit the rest of the year, it sure sucks for all 11 of us fans, but I think its best. Dont want to stand in the way of the 2013 champions.
you should stop making stupid statements to antagonize Ranger fans and this could be a good back and forth. It is early and by the end of April and beyond, it will all get worked out. But to deny that the Rangers have a strong roster (even if they are only 7 and 5 now) is silly.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Kings - Boston last two winners. Rangers aren't nearly as good as people think they are. Last year GA was very low due to the coach's strategy to block as many shots as possible and Henrique having a career year.
I'd say leading the eastern conference in points and making it to conference final with a young team is pretty good. So now we're going to evaluate how teams keep the puck out of the net; How do you feel about the trap?

Henrik (not Henrique) did not have a career year. He has been one of the top goalies for the last six years. This was the year he got the trophy because the team around him was better and so the numbers were better. You literally know nothing.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Fleury4ever

One day Lou Lamoriello will be gone, then, we will be free. Lamoriello delenda est.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Through 11 games, New York Rangers NHL telecasts have averaged a 1.95 rating on MSG Network in the New York market — up 187% from the first 11 games of last season (0.68). Last season, of course, began as scheduled in October. The early season average is nearly double last year’s full-season average of 0.99. Of note, the Rangers are outdrawing the rival Devils on MSG by 248% (1.95 to 0.56). (MSG press release)
There's a reason the Rangers get more attention.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
There's a reason the Rangers get more attention.
"Henrique, it's over!" etc, etc.

You must not have actually read the thread. Or you did and decided to 'drop by' and post this.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
xdl1

Quote:

Both of them are Rangers fans, and Carton doesn't even watch hockey. He also says stuff jokingly to get reactions out of people. That show isn't to be taken seriously.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Quote:

Boomer is such an idiot Rangers fan. Jerry Recco is a Devils fan but he's just the update guy haha

Closed Thread