HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "I Hate Tyler Kennedy" Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
turd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Everytime I see Jeffrey play a solid game and then get scratched the next night, my hate for Kennedy grows.
Kennedy hasn't been playing well, but Jeffrey getting scratched is more due to him being in Bylsma's dog house for some reason than Kennedy. It's second line or bust for Jeffrey apparently.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:47 AM
ss53mech

A fellow Marine and die hard Pens fan and I had an at length conversation about TK. Our feeling are pretty simple. He's not playing TK hockey.

He's never been creative nor will he ever be, that's fine. We don't need him to create. He's not a Neal esque sniper, fine we don't need him to be.

What he used to be was the shoot first mentality player on a 3rd line that forechecked hard, cycled well and was a threat to create an odd man rush the other way if you got too fancy in their zone.

Now what he is is a shoot first player who isn't forechecking hard, isn't managing the puck well, isn't being a team player, and is trying to make plays he's not capable of.

I've never thought of TK as a defensive type player, however he's giving the puck away so regularly now that it's making the rest of his line work harder than they should. I'm not saying any line should live and die by dump and chase but he should focus on not being a turnover machine for a few games and get back to "his game".

I know that phrase is overused but really it's that simple. He's not playing his game, he's trying to play something else. I defended 48 for years, and when he get's back to his aggressive forechecking pest like hockey I'll support him again. Until then he is tying up cap space and DJ's roster spot.

He needs a sit down talk or a couple games off to send the message that if you aren't going to produce you better be doing other things that make you a valuable player.

I know it's kind of an apples/oranges comparison but many of us said when Neal got here that he couldn't buy a goal. But he was bringing a lot of other stuff to the table, forechecking hard, backchecking, helping the team and his line be a threat. TK seems to think he is now the offensive staple on his line, and he's not.

The only thing that ever made TK useful was his effort, until that gets back in his game he is going to make us all scream. /rant.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:59 AM
Honour Over Glory

TK, the greatest chest sniper the NHL has ever known.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Kennedy hasn't been playing well, but Jeffrey getting scratched is more due to him being in Bylsma's dog house for some reason than Kennedy. It's second line or bust for Jeffrey apparently.
except for the fact he's been 4th line center 2 of the last 3 games

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:23 AM
jr99svt

It took you guys long enough to get here.....

jr99svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:12 AM
vyktor

Maybe Jordan Staal Was just that good, able to make the players around him better.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
wgknestrick

He really looks to have some sort of lower body injury to me. He just isn't near as explosive as he normally was with his "motor". It is pretty obvious along the boards in puck battles.

wgknestrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Repeat After Joe:

"Tyler Kennedy is a dime-a-dozen player. As a Yinzer, I will no longer allow his man-bear-pig looks and lunchpail reputation from yesteryear, to color my perception of him. I will see him as he is... no more, no less."

"I recognize the scrappy underdog image that all Pittsburghers love, and the fact that it is irrelevant."

"From now on when Tyler takes a low percentage shot or loses the puck trying to go through defenders, I will not act surprised... because he is not that skilled."

"I will not praise Tyler Kennedy as having 'real winger potential' when he scores a nice goal, nor will I hate him when he breaks in the goalie's chest pads night after night."

"Because Tyler Kennedy is a dime-a-dozen player at the NHL level. He is the definition of average. He is 'meh' personified."

"I can take it or I can leave it... because whether he's here or not, the Penguins will be the same. Unless he is given a role on the Top 6, and then the Pens will be worse. For he shall not be missed when he's gone, and he shall not bring back an asset more valuable than he is. Tyler Kennedy is a neutron."

"Thank you for your service, Tyler Kennedy. I will never forgot your tic-tac-toe goal against Detroit, and your stick licking antics will live in infamy. God Speed and don't let the deadline door hit you in the ass."

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-14-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

I think he needs to try and drag the puck between his skates more often like he's been doing. It's obviously translated to success.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

They don't call him Tyler "Toe Drag" Kennedy for nothing.

You know what's funny though... Kennedy is one of those guys. He's just good enough that someone on this board will read my post and think "Tyler Kennedy is going to read that post and put it on his refrigerator with that quote... 'meh personified'... and he's going to rise up from the rabble, and SHOW THE WORLD what he's made of! Then those Vitale-loving people will be put in their place all right!"

My response will always be the same: he gets paid $2M a year skate fast and take low percentage shots... and we need cap space.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
Maybe Jordan Staal Was just that good, able to make the players around him better.
Oh, by now it's pretty obvious that Tyler Kennedy was a Jordan Staal creation, nothing more.

We need to remember that management felt the great Jaromir Jagr wasn't worth $1.3 million more than Tyler Kennedy two summers ago. This still sticks in my craw.

Not only do we not have the winger we want, but this year's team doesn't have consistent third-line production any longer. When Staal left for Carolina, he basically took Kennedy and to a lesser extent Cooke with him. That's not a knock against Brandon Sutter, who always plays his game. It's just that Kennedy has been THAT bad.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Oh, by now it's pretty obvious that Tyler Kennedy was a Jordan Staal creation, nothing more.

We need to remember that management felt the great Jaromir Jagr wasn't worth $1.3 million more than Tyler Kennedy two summers ago. This still sticks in my craw.
The real root of the problem there is Jagr was too expensive for our cap situation, and Kennedy was $2M worth of the problem. Maybe we could've offered Jags $2.8 or $3M last year if we had been paying Kennedy what he was actually worth (about $1M). Now Jagr is making $4.5M, which is too expensive this year, so he would not have stayed here in any case. The way we played last year in Round 1 Jagr would not have been our savior so it doesn't matter much in the end. Our D and goaltending would've sunk us either way.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The real root of the problem there is Jagr was too expensive for our cap situation, and Kennedy was $2M worth of the problem. Maybe we could've offered Jags $2.8 or $3M last year if we had been paying Kennedy what he was actually worth (about $1M). Now Jagr is making $4.5M, which is too expensive this year, so he would not have stayed here in any case. The way we played last year in Round 1 Jagr would not have been our savior so it doesn't matter much in the end. Our D and goaltending would've sunk us either way.
Not the point. Adding Jagr, subtracting Kennedy, would have/could have led to other moves. I've already talked many times about how stagnant this roster has become. The cap issues could have actually meant that we may have stumbled onto something.

I know this: inertia wasn't needed at the time (or now, for that matter).

Old
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
Yeah, I think Kennedy definitely benefited by having a lot of chemistry with Staal.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Not the point. Adding Jagr, subtracting Kennedy, would have/could have led to other moves. I've already talked many times about how stagnant this roster has become.
You're getting into random speculation there though. Pointless. I don't disagree about roster stagnation in general though. Changes are needed. IMO Kennedy and Adams are the last remnants that need a change in scenery. Joe Victory should lead our 4th line forever more, and Boychuk can become a Manchuk playing next to Sutter (for now anyway).

Old
02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
You're getting into random speculation there though. Pointless. I don't disagree about roster stagnation in general though. Changes are needed. IMO Kennedy and Adams are the last remnants that need a change in scenery. Joe Victory should lead our 4th line forever more, and Boychuk can become a Manchuk playing next to Sutter (for now anyway).
I agree with all of that.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
I'm not a TK hater but i pretty much agree with that too. Adams definitely needs to go, and we can't afford to pay TK 2 mil (or more) if we are going to get another top 6 winger.

so next year a bottom 6 of Cooke, Sutter, Boychuk, Jeffrey, Vitale, Glass should be fine, or maybe even sign someone else and one of them could be the 13th forward

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
I'm not a TK hater but i pretty much agree with that too. Adams definitely needs to go, and we can't afford to pay TK 2 mil (or more) if we are going to get another top 6 winger.

so next year a bottom 6 of Cooke, Sutter, Boychuk, Jeffrey, Vitale, Glass should be fine, or maybe even sign someone else and one of them could be the 13th forward
Cooke's a UFA. I don't want him anymore. He'll likely want a raise and is on the wrong side of 30. Also, don't give Shero any ideas about acquiring a new 13th forward. He'll find the next Tanner Glass/Craig Adams in a nano-second.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Cooke's a UFA. I don't want him anymore. He'll likely want a raise and is on the wrong side of 30. Also, don't give Shero any ideas about acquiring a new 13th forward. He'll find the next Tanner Glass/Craig Adams in a nano-second.
lol true, also it would be ideal if we got a top 6 winger and Bennett played well enough to make the team next year. then maybe push Dupuis down to the 3rd line with Sutter and whomever is left.

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:44 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
TK, the greatest chest sniper the NHL has ever known.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
vyktor

Quote:

Not only do we not have the winger we want, but this year's team doesn't have consistent third-line production any longer. When Staal left for Carolina, he basically took Kennedy and to a lesser extent Cooke with him. That's not a knock against Brandon Sutter, who always plays his game. It's just that Kennedy has been THAT bad.
as much as I hate to admit it it sticks in my craw too.
Quote:
Jeffrey/Sutter/Boychuck
Glass/Vitale/???
cheap effective bottom 6

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Triple Cheeseburglar
Loud Breathing

Are the same people who were complaining about how soft our forward corps is the ones who'd be okay with Jeffrey and Boychuk as our 3rd line wingers?

Triple Cheeseburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Are the same people who were complaining about how soft our forward corps is the ones who'd be okay with Jeffrey and Boychuk as our 3rd line wingers?
As soff as we are, we're even less skilled beyond the top three players.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM

I'm not sure what people are watching that they hate Adams so much but I would agree that TK is having a bad start to the season.

Maybe the Canes would have interest?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Why do you think we are hording all those 2013 6th/7th round picks?

All your talent-less 4th liners belong to us.

wgknestrick is online now   Reply With Quote