HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate II

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Pirates extend grasp on divisional lead
By Chris Roy Published: 12th February 2013

Quote:
A second period outburst gave the Portland Pirates the margin they needed to hold off the Providence Bruins, 5-2, in front of 6,343 at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island Monday evening.
Link>>>>>>

Old
02-12-2013, 02:53 AM
awfulwaffle

I have a question. Visentin(spelling) compared to Johnson? How close is Visentin to getting a call up and an opportunity in situations where Smith is down? Is Visentin an NHL caliber goalie? I understand he's our highest prospect in that position, but is he just there?

Old
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I have a question. Visentin(spelling) compared to Johnson? How close is Visentin to getting a call up and an opportunity in situations where Smith is down? Is Visentin an NHL caliber goalie? I understand he's our highest prospect in that position, but is he just there?
Hutch sort made the point but with less tact than Iím going to attempt at trying.

Visentin, while a high-level prospect, is at least another season from seeing the crease of an NHL game. He could be rewarded with a spot recall backup, but even then heís only now starting to find his way in the professional game as a backup in the American Hockey League and is nowhere close to being ready to have the reins handed to him fulltime for the Pirates yet alone the Coyotes.

It was only two weeks ago there was discussions within the Coyotes as whether to assign him to Gwinnett and leave Mike Lee in Portland. Some within the team believe that Lee has progressed further along than Visentin this season. Donít get me wrong. Iím not saying Visentin is a bad goalie or anything, but he is only 20 y/o and he does have a lot of maturing to do before he is that ďgo toĒ guy for the Yotes. I think a good example of the path that heíll take to the NHL is Jhonas Enroth with Buffalo or Jonathan Bernier with the LA Kings.

Heíll be a No. 1 goalie, but it wonít happen overnight or within the next two seasons.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:41 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
STILL waiting to see when Bridgeport is going to reschedule that Saturday cancellation, even with the Pirates already there, the other road game there is 4/5/13

Old
02-12-2013, 03:58 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Any word on Gormley's injury?

Old
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
STILL waiting to see when Bridgeport is going to reschedule that Saturday cancellation, even with the Pirates already there, the other road game there is 4/5/13
From the Maine Hockey Journal:

"‎@theahl announced today the makeup date for @thesoundtigers and @portlandpirates will be Tue., Apr. 16th. #pirates #coyotes #mesports #ahl"

Old
02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
From the Maine Hockey Journal:

"‎@theahl announced today the makeup date for @thesoundtigers and @portlandpirates will be Tue., Apr. 16th. #pirates #coyotes #mesports #ahl"
thanks, I run a Yahoo site that is no way in any connection w/ Wildcat's MHJ I was waiting to see if Jeff Mannix would've mentioned it last night in Providence

Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Mike Stone is back with Portland, while the Coyotes kept the rotation of defensemen going with Rundblad to PHX.....

Link>>>>

Old
02-13-2013, 09:20 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Pirates alumni news:

In case you haven't seen it on the NHL Thread, Pirates Hall of Famer Andrew Brunette announced his retirement and has now joined the Minnesota Wild Front Office.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Lee recalled from Gladiators to replace injured Visentin
By Chris Roy Published: 14th February 2013

Quote:
PORTLAND – Goaltender Mike Lee is on his way back to the Portland Pirates.

Lee was recalled from the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL by the Phoenix Coyotes to the Pirates on Wednesday.
Link>>>>>

Old
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Lee recalled from Gladiators to replace injured Visentin
By Chris Roy Published: 14th February 2013

Link>>>>>
thanks.... Visentin is down for Maintenance

Old
02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

@ Connecticut @ 7pm

Old
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Any word on Gormley's injury?
Somebody has to be out there that knows something about Gormley. Anyone, anyone.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:13 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Somebody has to be out there that knows something about Gormley. Anyone, anyone.
Week to week, if not months, Gormley may not be back this year....

btw, now the Pirates and Coyotes are going to be scrambling to get a Goaltender to back up Lee, Chad Johnson felled by an accidental shot against his former team and is undergoing at least a concussion test...

Alexandre Bolduc has the Pirates G as Connecticut leads 2-1 in the 2nd...

Old
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Week to week, if not months, Gormley may not be back this year....

btw, now the Pirates and Coyotes are going to be scrambling to get a Goaltender to back up Lee, Chad Johnson felled by an accidental shot against his former team and is undergoing at least a concussion test...

Alexandre Bolduc has the Pirates G as Connecticut leads 2-1 in the 2nd...
Darn, what is happening to our defense. First Klesla, then Schlemko, now Morris and Gormley. I forgot, add Murphy to that list.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Darn, what is happening to our defense. First Klesla, then Schlemko, now Morris and Gormley. I forgot, add Murphy to that list.
the injury to Gormley sounded like a major injury, when you cannot put weight on it, it's going to be hard to return to on-ice activities....especially with the season ending in a month and 3 weeks...

Old
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Valabik, mind you, he is 6'7", JUST GOT Boarded.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:01 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Christian Thomas 2nd G makes it 3-1 Whale, Pirates will likely be passed by Providence for the Division lead

Old
02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

4-1 Whale as Kelsey Tessier converts Short-handed (11)

Old
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Even Rechlicz gets an early exit before this game and now we have a line brawl after a hit on Tessier;

Valabik and Bolduc also getting an early start on the bus, and we might have both Gwinnett Goalies (Louis Domingue, a 5th rounder) up for Springfield

Last edited by CHRDANHUTCH: 02-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 01:29 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates no longer kings of the mountain
By Chris Roy Published: 16th February 2013

Quote:
For the first time since December, the Portland Pirates dropped from first place in the AHLís Atlantic Division after a 4-1 loss to the Connecticut Whale in front 4,441 at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut.
Link>>>>

Gormley was back tonight... He wasn't very good either. He went for a change with the team on a power play and it led to the shorthanded goal for CTW.... Looks like Domingue is getting called up and its Lee and Domingue in Portland at least for the weekend.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:56 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Pirates bounce back despite having both goalies scratched, 3-1 in Springfield; Brown (14)/Valabik, (1), & Klinkhammer (13) w/ the offense.

btw, Domingue was indeed recalled and has been assigned #37

Old
02-17-2013, 12:08 AM
OOEEL

Pirates stay a point back of the P-Bruins as Providence downs Bridgeport 5-3 and the Pirates bounce back with a 3-1 win over Springfield.

Mike Lee makes 27 of 28 saves to improve to 4-0-0 in the AHL.

Pirates goals come from Chris Brown (14), Valabik (1), and Klinkhammer (13)

Two questions:

1. Am I the only one who wants to see a competition between Lee & Vis for our backup spot next season instead of retaining Barbs one more season or bringing in another journeyman on a one year deal?

2. Same thing with Chris Brown. Let him continue to flourish and get him to bulk up a little in the offseason, then give him a shot at a bottom six spot at the camp next year. Raffi and Biz will both be UFAs, let one of them walk and give a kid a chance.

GAH! Hutch must've posted as I was typing that out! Haha, sorry for the double post guys

Old
02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Pirates doing all the little things in big win over St. John’s
By Nathan Fournier Published: 17th February 2013

Quote:
LEWISTON – The Portland Pirates did everything right in a 6-1 victory over the St. John’s IceCaps before a sellout crowd of 3,750 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee Sunday afternoon.
Link>>>>>

Old
02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Vis needs to be in the AHL next year, rather than as a full time backup.

Closed Thread