HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2014, 3rd overall, Edmonton)

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Jacko95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madferit View Post
Even a new Gretzky wouldn't save German hockey. No one cares. DEL is a joke, a closed league. No possibilities to get in from league 2. Almost every club is struggling. Everybody's mad about football here (so I ) and Handball is Number 2 by a mile. Hockey created just negative headlines in the past 20 years. It needs more than Leon to overcome this.
Thats the problem, the only DEL club I know, without big financial issues is Mannheim, not sure about Berlin. Our junior system is bad ( again only real good club, which can play and win against NA teams is Jr. Adler Mannheim). Most of the players, playing in the NHL now have once played in Mannheim.

And maybe the biggest problem is the lack of rinks, the closest to me is 40min away, while 10 soccerclubs are within 10min. As long as we don't get more rinks, hockey don't will evolve as a big sport in Germany.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:43 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Considering his birthday (Oct. 27th) is only a month and a half after the 2013 cutoff date (Sept. 15th)... where do you think Draisaitl would be ranked in this years draft if he was eligible?

Personally, considering the depth this years first round has.. I highly doubt he'd be as high as he is for 2014, but I still see him being a first round pick.. at lowest, an early second.
I still think he would be a top 10-15 pick for sure.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Scored a fantastic goal last night, by the way. Walking down the left wing on a 2 on 1 and WIRED a slapshot top shelf, short side. A skill I hadn't really seen from him yet in his short time in the WHL.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I still think he would be a top 10-15 pick for sure.
Makes sense. Personally, I was thinking 20-25.. In the end it would all come down to who the GM thinks is BPA or who they need, so both could be possible!

Old
02-14-2013, 12:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Makes sense. Personally, I was thinking 20-25.. In the end it would all come down to who the GM thinks is BPA or who they need, so both could be possible!
I think he could challenge for the top 5.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think he could challenge for the top 5.
For this year or next year?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
For this year or next year?
In 2014, you can't teach his vision.
In 2013 I think he is more in the 6th-15th range.

I am not a fan of the 2014 draft, in it's current state.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:56 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
In 2014, you can't teach his vision.
In 2013 I think he is more in the 6th-15th range.

I am not a fan of the 2014 draft, in it's current state.
I'm not either. There's maybe 5 players that i'm interested in; Reinhart, Ekblad, Draisaitl, Nylander, and Barbashev... other than that, I don't see much coming from it.. but it seems like that always happens after a really deep draft year.

That's the thing though, he could be a top-10 pick.. but he needs to work on his skating. And considering the depth in this years first round, I think GM's would pick one of the others over him. I suppose I could see him being picked from 15-20, but to me, that's the highest considering the talent in that area.

For next year, I don't doubt he's a top-10 pick. If he improves his skating, which he more than likely will, he should very easily go top-5. Who knows though, we're still 4 months from this draft!! His skating could improve by then.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
Ive been very impressed with him. He would be a first rounder imo in this year's draft. Not sure where though.

He is a dynamic, smart, skilled player.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Finally got to watch him play last week in Saskatoon. His skill set reminds me a bit of Stranksy (exceptional puck skills, patient etc), except Leon's likely already a better skater.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Thats the problem, the only DEL club I know, without big financial issues is Mannheim, not sure about Berlin. Our junior system is bad ( again only real good club, which can play and win against NA teams is Jr. Adler Mannheim). Most of the players, playing in the NHL now have once played in Mannheim.

And maybe the biggest problem is the lack of rinks, the closest to me is 40min away, while 10 soccerclubs are within 10min. As long as we don't get more rinks, hockey don't will evolve as a big sport in Germany.
More rinks ? You have 198 indoor rinks compared to Swiss 158. I think you need better coaches for kids, less foreginers in DEL and in Bundesliga, where prospects, that are too good for juniors but not ready for DEL, would play top minutes.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
More rinks ? You have 198 indoor rinks compared to Swiss 158. I think you need better coaches for kids, less foreginers in DEL and in Bundesliga, where prospects, that are too good for juniors but not ready for DEL, would play top minutes.
I'm sure better coaching would help, but Germany is a far greater larger country than Switzerland, both geographically and in terms of population.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
As a licensed trainer in Germany, I'd say one of the BIGGEST problems is that there is hardly a coach anywhere outside of pro hockey (or heck, even below some 2nd Bundesliga teams) and maybe a few DNL teams who earns enough for coaching to even be his chief source of income, much less his only job. Heck, even many of the big-wig Canadian coaches in the DEL have other little job back home or earn a bit on the side by running summer hockey schools or working as a consultant of some sort with some hockey program or scouting department.

For those who may be the head coach for a club - meaning that person is working with up to 5 or 6 different teams, including the top men's team in the club - there's often little more than a payment somewhere between 12-16 thousand per year. Hardly enough for one person, much less somebody with a family.

As for all the clubs and their youth work, the great majority are earning nothing more than a compensation fee - one that comes within the non-taxation bracket. Add up all the hours they spend at the rink for practice and games, much less the travel time involved, and we're talking about less than an Euro an hour for their efforts.

It's a labor of love and in many cases, someone is doing it because his/her kid is on the team.

But one shouldn't forget that there has been great importance placed on the coaching license and this is something that isn't cheap. You spend roughly two weeks for the course, which itself costs between 1'200-1'800 EUR (my experience), depending on what federal state is hosting it. Then throw in the travel, lodging and meal fees for that period and that all adds up big time, especially for someone who has to use his/her vacation time to take the course in the first place. On top of that, depending on who is running it and what their philosophy is, these courses are not always all that easy. A number of people simply fail the tests or do not get the license for reasons that simply have to do with the question, "Do we feel this person should be or is capable of working with children, much less properly teaching them the basics of this sport???".

An interesting question, but it's a lot to ask of a person who may otherwise just be doing a service for the local club where his/her kids play.

Mannheim and Berlin have become pretty much the only true hockey hotspots in the country when it comes to major player development. A kid who goes through the Adler program will likely earn money playing hockey at some point, even if it's just as a glorified star in some regional league or lower Oberliga, but most will at least find their way to competitive Oberliga teams, if not into the DEL or 2nd league.

Behind them, there are the traditional clubs where hockey is simply THE sport in that area and with that, they've been able to establish a solid infrastructure, one that has been supported by many established foreigners (most often Canadian or from the Czech Republic or Slovakia) over the course of time. The best of which are Landshut, Fussen, Bad Tolz and maybe Rosenheim/Kaufbeuren.

Switzerland approaches coaching from the standpoint of it being a real job from a different angle. There's no doubt that Switzerland is ahead of Germany when it comes to player development and the importance of the sport itself.

As for Draisaitl, he did grow up around DEL teams and in DEL locker rooms. His dad was not only an established national team member originally from an ice hockey power (Czechoslovakia), but has been coaching at the pro level for years now and is currently the first ever 'German' coach in the Czech Extraliga. Leon has received a lot more active, specialized coaching than your average German kid would, on top of participating in the best junior program Germany has.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Schalkenullvier*

It's difficult to get into the sport in the first place, as there is barely any media coverage and all you hear about is football, football, football. I bet every 5 year old has kicked a ball at least once, but how many have even seen ice?

The equipment thing is iffy too of course. You really can't get into ice hockey just to try, if you're interested you have to make some sort of comittment, wether it be getting skates etc or driving an hour to he next rink. One reason why bavaria produces most german hockey players is not only the tradition there, but also because they actually have frozen lakes or ponds where kids can get into hockey casually at first, and then go on if they like it.

I already live in one of the colder regions of west germany (sauerland), and there's just not enough lakes or ponds to freeze over for that. Have we had any sustained minus temperatues this winter? I don't think so, maybe a week.

People could play street hockey first I guess, but that's a long shot. And just naturally, if a kid wants to play hockey, his parents are gonna see the comittments that need to be made before even knowing if it's just a wild idea by a child or if it is really his sport... and they'll rather take him to soccer, handball oder basketball first which is much easier to get into, and chances are the kid will stick at one of them.

We need more rinks, and we need some programs to lure kids into hockey casually to explore their interests at first. Hockey is such a fantastic sport, if we get more kids to try it, we will have more kids playing it.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:48 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 400
Made an account to specifically talk about Draisaitl. Words cannot express how impressed I am by this kid. I've been a Raiders fan since the mid 90s and have not seen a talent like him. His talent far surpasses his linemate, Mark McNeill, and his vision is on another level from other players his age. I've seen him play \ ~20 times this year, and he's likely been the best player on the team 18 times. Remember, this is a team that has Morrissey and McNeill, so that's no small feat. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went top 5 next year, and rightfully so.

If you guys have any questions on Draisaitl that you'd like answered, I can try my best. Obviously, I'm no professional, but I've been around the game for a really long time, and have seen a lot of Draisaitl.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:59 AM
Tronador

May be I should organize some tickets for a hockey game for my Chinese colleague, as she mentioned, she would love to visit a game. May be one more fan in the future...

I think the huge amount of clubs, who went bancrupt, is one of the main reasons, why hockey is not that popular anymore.

A good example is Berlin, were we had a lot of amazing derbies with two clubs in the highest league. I know, a lot of fans of the club Eisbären Berlin were happy, when the club of Western Berlin had to leave the professional leagues, but in general, every death of tradition in German hockey is a danger for the whole sport.

Sadly, since the last incident with my favourite club, I stopped visiting hockey games.

Best,

Tronador

Old
02-16-2013, 04:22 AM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Made an account to specifically talk about Draisaitl. Words cannot express how impressed I am by this kid. I've been a Raiders fan since the mid 90s and have not seen a talent like him. His talent far surpasses his linemate, Mark McNeill, and his vision is on another level from other players his age. I've seen him play \ ~20 times this year, and he's likely been the best player on the team 18 times. Remember, this is a team that has Morrissey and McNeill, so that's no small feat. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went top 5 next year, and rightfully so.

If you guys have any questions on Draisaitl that you'd like answered, I can try my best. Obviously, I'm no professional, but I've been around the game for a really long time, and have seen a lot of Draisaitl.
How is his skating looking? That seems to be his only flaw, and even then it's not much of one..

Old
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 400
Quote:
How is his skating looking? That seems to be his only flaw, and even then it's not much of one..
His skating still isn't top notch, and he'll never be a total speedster, but at the WHL level, he doesn't need any more speed due to his superior positioning. He's still a long strider with good agility and average acceleration.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Bure80

He had a pretty nice goal against Calgary last night.
http://www.hitmenhockey.com/

Old
02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

Leon is definitely the biggest german talent by far! I only watched him at the WJC-20 and in WHL highlights but I'm really impressed by what I saw of him! Great vision and stickhandling, also able to score goals. I'm really curious to see how he'll do in his draft year 2013/2014 but so far I'm really sure that he'll be an early first rounder!

Old
03-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Zaddy Zads
Deutschland Dangler

Of what I saw of him during WJC-20 I can only say that this kid is going to be amazing. Already looking forward to the next WJC. By the way, where can I find highlights from WHL from this guy? Would love to watch some clips filled with Draisaitl candy!

Old
03-16-2013, 02:47 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
Of what I saw of him during WJC-20 I can only say that this kid is going to be amazing. Already looking forward to the next WJC. By the way, where can I find highlights from WHL from this guy? Would love to watch some clips filled with Draisaitl candy!
http://www.raiderhockey.com/video/index

You can see highlights from all of their games this season. No guarantee that he'll be in all videos, but i'd think he would be in most considering he's 2nd in team scoring.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

He scored the game winner in OT last night, wristed the puck right through the net.

He's so physically immature as well, he's gonna tear the WHL a new one next year if he can grow into his frame.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

The kid is a monster. Watched him live again last night and have seen him roughly 10 times this year in total. Scored the OT winner, but also was a standout all night. Created a ton. His vision is so good and he's so aware on the ice. Will be important for him to be able to adjust as he continues to get bigger and stronger, with his improved skating helping him big here.

Hard not to hype him but he could absolutely be a top 5-10 overall talent for the 2014 draft. Is very likely to win the WHL's Eastern Conference rookie of the year title.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
wings5

I thought he looked dominant at times against good teams like Canada and USA in the WJC on a terrible German team which says alot. I think he has Kopitar like qualities, Kopitar of course was picked lower than he should have been due to his nationality and ended up becoming a steal. Where is Draisaitl expected to go in 2014 and where would he go in the 2013 draft if he was eligible?

Closed Thread