*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
CBJWhaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
If defense were the problem, Levi would have been gone at the trade deadline.

The way I saw last Friday's game, I agree it was a stinker for Levi, but I would wouldn't go so far as to question his overall impact in the season or his propsects for the rest of it.
Really the biggest problem with Levi that most people that I talk to have is that he plays lazy. You hardley ever see him body anybody off the puck when they come into the zone, he would much rather poke at the puck then use his body to move a player off of it.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Personally, I think the main reason Levi wasn't the OA traded at the deadline was because the Mitch Jones injury left the team thin at defense. The team has only 6 healthy defensemen. The biggest surprise at the deadline was dealing Karlsson for Uvira. While Karlsson was a big disappointment, he was depth for the blue line.
That could be, but the idea would hold more water if MV had added two or three up and coming defensemen. Instead, he added forwards. If you're hurtin' so bad on defense, you shore it up, right? The Jones injury might have been a factor, but any way you cut it, I think the reality of the outcome proves that MV has faith in his defense and since he couldn't get the goalie he wanted (presumably Gibson), he decided to fight fire with firepower. That strategy seems to be working out just fine in case you haven't seen Trochek's stats lately. MV is a wizard.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Really the biggest problem with Levi that most people that I talk to have is that he plays lazy. You hardley ever see him body anybody off the puck when they come into the zone, he would much rather poke at the puck then use his body to move a player off of it.
I'd like to see him get a lot more physical, too, but he's more effective with the stick than a lot of players are with the body. As long as a defenseman keeps the puck out of his net and gets it going in the opposite direction, he's doing something right in this league. I'd rather see an effective stick check than a failed attempt at a big hit especially when we can't always be sure we're goign to come up with a miraculous save in the crease. Remember all the times we've criticized kids for being out of position, chasing the big hits or rushing only to turn the puck over? We've seen him play a much more physical style in the past, but from a position and effectiveness standpoint, I'll take it. Although his point production is way down over last season, his plus/minus has gone up every year and will likely finish his best season ever in that category (+4, +10, +16, +20 and currently sitting at +17 with 15 games left!).

I'm rooting for the kid and expect big things down the streatch and into the playoffs. Lazy? Assuming he plays in all of the remaining games this season, Levi will finish his OHL career with 268 games played - second only to Joe Gaynor on the all-time list. He has already played in one more playoff game than Gaynor. If the Whalers can book at least eleven games in the playoffs, Levi will have played more games in a Whalers jersey than any other player in the history of the team. And that's a real possibility as the Whales have gone 11 and 13 games deep in each of the past two seasons. Frankly, I think he deserves a lot more respect than you're giving him.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
That could be, but the idea would hold more water if MV had added two or three up and coming defensemen. Instead, he added forwards. If you're hurtin' so bad on defense, you shore it up, right? The Jones injury might have been a factor, but any way you cut it, I think the reality of the outcome proves that MV has faith in his defense and since he couldn't get the goalie he wanted (presumably Gibson), he decided to fight fire with firepower. That strategy seems to be working out just fine in case you haven't seen Trochek's stats lately. MV is a wizard.
I do not have anything against Levi like others here, so my comment was more an observation on the reason Aleardi was dealt instead of Austin. After all, Vellucci traded away offense in that deal, although he got back another offensive player -- and a potential OA for next season.

Vellucci's strategy was definitely clear based on what he added at the deadline -- if we cannot stop the puck from going in our own net, we'll just try to outscore them. It works at times, but all it will take is one hot goaltender in the playoffs and things could get ugly in a hurry. With no goalie available at the deadline for less than a king's ransom, though, I think MV did the only thing possible. Dealing Karlsson was a minor gamble that no one else gets hurt on defense, but otherwise it was a good decision.

There is no arguing that Trocheck has been a good addition -- he's been amazing since joining the team. Not only are his numbers up over what they were with Saginaw, but he is also making his line mates better. He is a short term rental, but the team is not going to be a serious contender next season anyway with all the players Plymouth will be losing.

Now, if Anaheim would only send Rakell back, the team's offense would be downright scary. Rakell still has only played four NHL games, so I wish the Ducks would send him back if they are not going to play him.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:30 PM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
Now, if Anaheim would only send Rakell back, the team's offense would be downright scary. Rakell still has only played four NHL games, so I wish the Ducks would send him back if they are not going to play him.
I think he plays Friday in Detriot and then stays in Michigan and back with the Whalers on Saturday. Per Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

ANA expected to make decision this week on underager Rickard Rakell, who has averaged 8:57 in 4 GP. If he plays 6, burns yr of EL contract.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Rakell was just sent back. Whalers have such a stacked forward group right now.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Rakell was just sent back. Whalers have such a stacked forward group right now.
Thanks for the info, from one Habs fan to another. He probably will not be back in time for tonight's game in Saginaw, but it will be nice to see Rakell in the lineup this weekend.

Here is a link confirming the transaction: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415889

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
He probably will not be back in time for tonight's game in Saginaw.[/url]
There is a chance he might be in Saginaw (I don't think he will be in the line-up) tonight Anaham did just play in Chicago yesterday and that is a 4 1/5 hour trip to Saginaw.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Rally Donkey

Picking up Steam

Great showing in Saginaw. Nice to see Uvira get some recognition. When the team forechecks and everyone plays two-way hockey, they are capable of anything. Look for Ply to climb into the BMO Top Ten next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Web Site
....While Uvira was named the first star, Trocheck the second and Tom Wilson the game's third star, everyone who wore a Whalers jersey had a positive effect in the game. Defensemen Austin Levi was +4 and Alex Peters was +3 and the forward line of Zach Lorentz, Uvira and Mistele were all +3 in the game.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Great showing in Saginaw. Nice to see Uvira get some recognition. When the team forechecks and everyone plays two-way hockey, they are capable of anything. Look for Ply to climb into the BMO Top Ten next week.
I doubt that. Kitchener, Belleville and Owen Sound all have better records, and none of them are in this Top 10 ranking. There are probably just as many teams with better records in the other two leagues as well. Plymouth will continue to operate under the radar.

I didn't listen to the game last night. Hopefully the fans in Saginaw gave Trocheck a nice welcome in his return.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:34 AM
gowhalers

That was a great game last night. Everything was working - penalty kill, forechecking, defense. With rackell returning the whalers will have 3 top lines that for most teams would be the first line. And the 4th line won't be too shabby either.

I feel like they are warming up for a good run.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
I didn't listen to the game last night. Hopefully the fans in Saginaw gave Trocheck a nice welcome in his return.
No love for Trocheck last night. They booed him when he scored and cheered when he went to the box. My brother even went so far as to scream "Traitor!" after his first goal.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
That was a great game last night. Everything was working - penalty kill, forechecking, defense. With rackell returning the whalers will have 3 top lines that for most teams would be the first line. And the 4th line won't be too shabby either.

I feel like they are warming up for a good run.
If they can keep the opponents scoring attempts down like last night in order to limit exposing our weak goaltending, then the team should do well. It remains to be seen whether they can do this consistently against the better teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
No love for Trocheck last night. They booed him when he scored and cheered when he went to the box. My brother even went so far as to scream "Traitor!" after his first goal.
Wow, that's kind of harsh. After all, it was Saginaw that made the decision to trade away Trocheck for future gains -- it wasn't his decision.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
bcspirit

Quote:
Wow, that's kind of harsh. After all, it was Saginaw that made the decision to trade away Trocheck for future gains -- it wasn't his decision.
Actually he asked for a trade towards the beginning of the season and gave the team a list of teams he wanted to play for this season. He also did not make the feelings any better by spraying Paterson on one of his first couple shifts.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
I doubt that. Kitchener, Belleville and Owen Sound all have better records, and none of them are in this Top 10 ranking. There are probably just as many teams with better records in the other two leagues as well. Plymouth will continue to operate under the radar...
Um, Owen Sound is on the list (Plymouth just whooped 'em last week) and Kitchener is on the honorable mentions of the same list.
I'm tellin' ya, the Whalers are about to open up a can on the the rest of the league. London has peaked

Old
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Um, Owen Sound is on the list (Plymouth just whooped 'em last week) and Kitchener is on the honorable mentions of the same list.
I'm tellin' ya, the Whalers are about to open up a can on the the rest of the league. London has peaked
I was looking at a previous list, but did see Owen Sound on the new one that came out today.

I would be more confident if we had even an average goaltender. I cringe every time a shot is directed at Mahalak.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Great game by Alex Nedeljkovic tonight in Kitchener. He stopped 52 of 54 shots, plus all four shots in the shootout. This is something we have not seen all year -- our goalie stealing a win. This is a very good omen for the future, which is bright for young Alex.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:13 PM
CBJWhaler

Whalers beat Kitchener 3-2 in a shoot out. Ned played a GREAT game 52 saves, this kid keeps getting better and better.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:35 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Whalers beat Kitchener 3-2 in a shoot out. Ned played a GREAT game 52 saves, this kid keeps getting better and better.
He played a really good game and made a few saves that were game changers/savers. Plymouth doesn't have a weakness if he continues to play the way he did tonight.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:03 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I would really like to see Vellucci use this last month of the season to get Ned ready for the playoffs. MV has brought the rookie along slowly, which is a wise move. However, this is the type of goaltending Plymouth needs if they are going to make a serious championship run. Mahalak is not capable of providing this level of play -- there is no way the Whalers win last night's game being outshot 54-24 with Matt in net.

Come on, Coach. Give the kid a real chance!

Old
02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
gowhalers

Can't say enough about Ned last night. Some great saves and definately won the game for the whalers. Even the goals that went in ....first one a defensive breakdown and then a goal from a pure scorer and the second off our defensemens stick. I agree with above and hope he gets a shot in the playoffs.
Outshot but hard to get many shots when in the penalty box the entire second. Some questionable calls and a few missed on Kitchener. I thought we controlled the play when 5 on 5.
Nice to see noesen score...hopefully many more to come.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Great comeback win for the Whalers tonight. A big thank you to Posa for taking that 5 minute major and game misconduct in the 2nd period and completely changing the momentum.

Hopefully, this game will be the passing of the torch to Nedeljkovic as the starting goalie. Mahalak was terrible in allowing a quick 3-0 Guelph lead, and Ned was solid in relief. This team is so much better with Alex in goal.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:13 PM
gowhalers

After last nights performance I was really surprised Ned did not get the start again tonight. He plays with such confidence and makes the big saves when needed. The team feels it and it shows in their play.

Agree with Whalers Fan - time to pass the torch.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Wowjuee...Whalers up 9 -2 in Sarnia after 2 periods!!! Noessen with 3 goals, good for him (and us) that he's getting goals again.

Hard to believe there is 4 weeks left in the regular season, and only 4 home games. I haven't seen a game since the loss to Barrie, so I'm pretty excited for Friday vs. Windsor. I've wanted to see my boy AA battle the Whales, should be a good one (or a complete blowout ).

Amazing how the offense on this team has beefed up since October. Of course Trocheck is off the charts, but Heard returning was very big and Lorentz and Uvira have fit in perfectly with the Whales. Hot Damn we look good. If I'm reading correctly from your opinions, THIS IS THE YEAR!

If it ends up being Mahalak who brings us down....I can't imagine how painful that would be. But if he and Ned can be solid, the sky's the limit.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

A couple of good signs from today's dismantling of Sarnia.. other than the obvious 10-2 final score:

1. Ned was in goal. This is hopefully a sign that Vellucci is making a change in net. Our championship hopes rest on MV making this move.

2. Noesen has found the net again, scoring four goals in the past two games after not scoring since December 5th. Nobody on the Whalers is more happy for the return of Rakell than his linemate Noesen, who had not scored in Rickard's absence.

Closed Thread