HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
ndgolden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I'm not really debating Lee vs Nelson. My posts have been more along the lines of 'no roster spots are guaranteed to any prospects at this point, nor will they be until the completion of camp next year. To that point, my caution to the board was to simply not just assume Nelson makes the team over and/or in place of Lee.

As for me thinking aloud about a potential Lee-Tavares-Strome line? I was simply looking at player attributes and skill sets and trying to match them as best as possible according to our organizational depth chart. It wasn't an indictment on Nelson, as I said, I wasn't ranking talent.

Nelson is more comparable to Strome than he is Lee anyway. Lee is a power forward the other 2 are not. Nelson and Strome have very similar games and are both aprox 190 lbs. Nelson is just taller. Other than that they are pretty much the same player. Strome is more explosive and Nelson has outstanding reach/range. There are other subtle differences but they are very compatible. So much so that if Nelson can prove that he can anchor a productive 2nd line in the NHL then it makes sense to potentially try Strome on Tavares wing. And if that happens I want, no Demand a power forward on their line. Ergo Lee the best power foward in the organization.

Now you have my full rationale.
This is the very reasoning that the Islanders tried to sign him last spring. His skill set to control, protect and to finish with the puck is exactly what JT needs on his line and is heads and shoulders above the names thrown around. Lee has also scored the most goals in D-1 hockey over the last three years. Not bad for a 4th line grinder.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
I'm not really debating Lee vs Nelson. My posts have been more along the lines of 'no roster spots are guaranteed to any prospects at this point, nor will they be until the completion of camp next year. To that point, my caution to the board was to simply not just assume Nelson makes the team over and/or in place of Lee.

As for me thinking aloud about a potential Lee-Tavares-Strome line? I was simply looking at player attributes and skill sets and trying to match them as best as possible according to our organizational depth chart. It wasn't an indictment on Nelson, as I said, I wasn't ranking talent.

Nelson is more comparable to Strome than he is Lee anyway. Lee is a power forward the other 2 are not. Nelson and Strome have very similar games and are both aprox 190 lbs. Nelson is just taller. Other than that they are pretty much the same player. Strome is more explosive and Nelson has outstanding reach/range. There are other subtle differences but they are very compatible. So much so that if Nelson can prove that he can anchor a productive 2nd line in the NHL then it makes sense to potentially try Strome on Tavares wing. And if that happens I want, no Demand a power forward on their line. Ergo Lee the best power foward in the organization.

Now you have my full rationale.
Lee is the best pure power forward in the organization, and one of the best, if not the best in the entire league.

Nelson's game is a little more heady and his skating is certainly ahead of Lee's. That's why I put Nelson ahead of Lee, and more likely to make the team first in a top-six role.

Could Lee come in a grab a third line wing spot? I sure hope so.

I think the Islanders have Nino earmarked for this first line power forward spot though...he's not as big, but can play big, create more off the rush, and has shown an equal or better ability to finish than Lee.

There's a reason Nino (and Nelson) consistently rank ahead of Lee in scout's polls. I'd also like to say Lee might be the best kept secret in the NHL (outside of Petrov).

thanks for clarifying

Old
02-14-2013, 01:34 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
This is the very reasoning that the Islanders tried to sign him last spring. His skill set to control, protect and to finish with the puck is exactly what JT needs on his line and is heads and shoulders above the names thrown around. Lee has also scored the most goals in D-1 hockey over the last three years. Not bad for a 4th line grinder.
Come on man... you can't be serious. Lee is "head and shoulders" above guys like Nelson, Strome and Niederreiter? I like Lee... I really do. But the 4th line talk has more to do with the state of our system than it does Lee's potential. He is not a better prospect than the three guys I mentioned, and when you factor in the guys who are already here(Tavares, Moulson, Bailey, Grabner, Okposo, Ullstrom) I just don't see anywhere he could possibly fit other than the bottom-six. More specifically, the 4th line.

BTW, not sure what the whole "this is the reason they tried to sign him last spring" means. They probably just wanted him getting AHL experience. Don't know how you could draw the conclusion that they wanted him on JT's wing. Look at Brock Nelson. He was signed last spring as well.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Lee is the best pure power forward in the organization, and one of the best, if not the best in the entire league.
He is not yet even in the league, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
He is not yet even in the league, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I think he meant as far as NHL prospects go, which is a pretty bold statement in its own right.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:39 PM
MikeT98213

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He may not, but looking at the Blues, they have a lot of young, skilled forwards already in the NHL (Oshie, Perron, Backes, Tarasenko, Stewart, Berglund, Schwarz). The Islanders may not give you as good of a chance to win, but there may be a better chance to play in the NHL next year. Justin Schultz chose the Oilers after 3 straight dead last finishes because of the combination of a good young core and an opportunity for immediate playing time. Lee might choose the Isles for the same reason, especially combined with the opportunity to burn off a year of his ELC.
We'll see...I just can't help but think that this environment is not highly attractive to a young player who will have the freedom to choose where he wants to play. Tavares is special and I suspect he saw this as a challenge and an opportunity to lead this hapless franchise out of a 30 year drought. I'm not sure Andres Lee will see it the same way.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
scott99

Lumisade, thanks so much for posting this, really apprecate it !

Old
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Kabanov's an odd case in that he impressed me with his play at the Memorial Cup, but for almost completely opposite reasons than his original hype.

I didn't see the high end skill, the elite offensive ability, the hands that would produce top line numbers at the NHL level, that he was supposed to have based on his 16 year old hype. Instead, I liked his work ethic, his battle level along the boards, and his ability to make plays based on his board work.
same here. His stats were pretty terrible for a player with his hype and skillset, but after watching him play in those big games, against some really good teams, he showed elements to his game that I though he didn't have.

But he did NOT show elite skating, stick-handling, passing and his shot was well below average. And in the AHL, before he got hurt, he looked like one of the better players on the ice. He showed the same work ethic and board play, showed offensive vision - pretty impressive. But not dynamic or the next Zherdev or Bure.

I'm happy with his development thus far. If he finishes the year strong, has a strong start next year, I can see him getting a few games in the NHL.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:26 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
same here. His stats were pretty terrible for a player with his hype and skillset, but after watching him play in those big games, against some really good teams, he showed elements to his game that I though he didn't have.

But he did NOT show elite skating, stick-handling, passing and his shot was well below average. And in the AHL, before he got hurt, he looked like one of the better players on the ice. He showed the same work ethic and board play, showed offensive vision - pretty impressive. But not dynamic or the next Zherdev or Bure.

I'm happy with his development thus far. If he finishes the year strong, has a strong start next year, I can see him getting a few games in the NHL.
I agree on all counts, except the stickhandle. His handle reminds me of a young Kovalev.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday

Owen Sound 4, Guelph 2-Pedan, even.
Erie 4, London 3-Pelech, 1 assist, even.
Miami (Ohio) 3, Notre Dame 1-Lee, -1, Russo, -1.
Spokane 6, Everett 3-Kichton, 2 assists, + 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-16-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Ryan Strome is greatly benefitting from additional time in the OHL. Lately he has taken his game to a whole nother level, it's just unbelievable. There is no doubt in my mind he is the best OHL prospect remaining in the OHL.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:38 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Friday

Owen Sound 4, Guelph 2-Pedan, even.
Erie 4, London 3-Pelech, 1 assist, even.
Miami (Ohio) 3, Notre Dame 1-Lee, -1, Russo, -1.
Spokane at Everett, later.
Adam Pelech PP Assist:

Adam pelech Roughing Penalty:

Brenden Kichton 2 Assists (PP +SH):

Old
02-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Degeneration Rex

College Hockey, Sunday 1 PM, MSG Plus

Notre Dame vs Miami (Ohio) outdoor game from Soldier Field, Chicago.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Lumisade31

Todays game kärpät vs ilves: Kärpät won 3-0. Ville Pokka gets no points. Icetime 20:05. He was on ice when kärpät makes 2-0 on powerplay. Little bland performance for both teams. Next game will be against Tappara on thursday.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:40 PM
okie21

Hey guys, for those of you who watch him play, how far away do you think Reinhart is? Not necessarily how fast he'll be on the Island cause we haven't always handled that correctly, but if developed properly, when do you guys project he'll be ready to crack an NHL lineup and be able to step in a top 4 role? Will he be able to play 1 more junior season and step in or do you guys think a year or two in Bridgeport should definitly be in his future?

Old
02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Hey guys, for those of you who watch him play, how far away do you think Reinhart is? Not necessarily how fast he'll be on the Island cause we haven't always handled that correctly, but if developed properly, when do you guys project he'll be ready to crack an NHL lineup and be able to step in a top 4 role? Will he be able to play 1 more junior season and step in or do you guys think a year or two in Bridgeport should definitly be in his future?
He's good enough to play a top 4 role now based on his defensive play alone.

I would prefer he go back to juniors for another season and play 30 minutes a night with massive amounts of PP time to groom the offensive side of his game and have him gain confidence. As opposed to playing 5 on 5 and PK in NHL only and perhaps not enjoy as much success against NHLers.

Just My Opinion.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday

Kitchener 4, Erie 2-Pelech, -1.
Plymouth 7, Guelph 4-Pedan, -2.
Owen Sound 3, Niagara 2-Strome, 2 assists, even, Graham, 1 assist, -2.
Barrie 3, Mississauga 0-Theoret, 1 goal (23), 1 assist, +2.
Tri City 6, Spokane 0-Kichton, -1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-17-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Saturday

Kitchener 4, Erie 2-Pelech, -1.
Plymouth 7, Guelph 4-Pedan, -2.
Owen Sound 3, Niagara 2-Strome, 2 assists, even, Graham, 1 assist, -2.
Barrie 3, Mississauga 0-Theoret, 1 goal (23), 1 assist, +2
Spokane at Tri City, later.

Ryan Strome Highlights from tonight (and Interview) Both Assists were very nice plays, but the second one (shot-pass) was BRILLIANT

Mitchell Theoret Highlights from tonight:

Guys, I want your feedback regarding the Interviews. Do you want me to include these when available (Like Strome's Interview tonight) or is it a waste of time. Let me know. Thanks!

Old
02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
I liked it.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Ryan Strome Highlights from tonight (and Interview) Both Assists were very nice plays, but the second one (shot-pass) was BRILLIANT

Mitchell Theoret Highlights from tonight:

Guys, I want your feedback regarding the Interviews. Do you want me to include these when available (Like Strome's Interview tonight) or is it a waste of time. Let me know. Thanks!
No its great, your them these have been golden

Old
02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Degeneration Rex

Keep posting them, ITM. You are our version of NFL Films.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 02-16-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Keep posting them, ITM
+1

ITM, your info is outstanding. Very much appreciated, many of us look forward to them!
---
Strome is looking more mature and bigger, nice to see. I hope he makes the team next year, along with Niederreiter (unless he's traded for OReilly).

Last edited by redbull: 02-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I salute you, sir.

Also, as I said the other day, Strome is dialed in right now. By the end of this season his confidence is going to be sky high, right where it needs to be heading into the off-season. Hoping he gets a look at Bridgeport at the end of the year.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Abraham85

Has Strome ever played on wing or has he only been a center so far?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
Has Strome ever played on wing or has he only been a center so far?
He's been exclusively at center. The fact that he was the #2C for Team Canada is telling, considering the amount of quality centers on that team.

I don't see him on the wing myself.

Closed Thread