HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Quarter of the season in, Habs' best player(s)

Old
02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
Quarter of the season in, Habs' best player(s)

Don't know if anyone disagrees but Plekanec has been this teams best player since the start of the season. He has brought it every game (except maybe one). Leads the team in goals, points and shots. I would say he is this team's MVP so far this season.

Honorable mention to:
Markov: Playing top minutes and making the power play somewhat respectable. Leads the team with 10 PP points. Looking for him to pick up some 5 on 5 points though.

Price: Other then the game against Toronto, Price has been steady and solid. He's due for a shutout too.

The Gallys: Great surprise so far. They lead the team in plus minus. Alex has showed some great speed and vision. Brendon has showed a nice scoring touch and some grittiness that you rarely see with a guy his size.

Bourque: Is exceeding expectations. Playing a great 2 way game on the top line with Pleks.

Prust: My friend played against him and when we signed him I had asked him what he thinks. He said "tough as nails". He was right. Leads the team in PIM. He brings this team some much needed sandpaper. Also, he's 3rd in plus minus behind the Gallys.

Eller: Started off the season in Therrien's dog house, but since then has really picked up his play and can be put with anyone on a line on any line. Eller has only played 10 minutes of PP time this season. Hopefully Therrien will reward him soon with more PP time.

Diaz: 9 points in 12 games. Who would of thought that? Hopefully he can keep it up. Definitely has exceeded expectations.

Subban: Although this is not the Subban we are use to, he's the only player on the team at 1 ppg pace. I think he only gets better from here, as long as Therrien smartens up a bit.

That's about it. Agree disagree?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Don't know if anyone disagrees but Plekanec has been this teams best player since the start of the season. He has brought it every game (except maybe one). Leads the team in goals, points and shots. I would say he is this team's MVP so far this season.

Honorable mention to:
Markov: Playing top minutes and making the power play somewhat respectable. Leads the team with 10 PP points. Looking for him to pick up some 5 on 5 points though.

Price: Other then the game against Toronto, Price has been steady and solid. He's due for a shutout too.

The Gallys: Great surprise so far. They lead the team in plus minus. Alex has showed some great speed and vision. Brendon has showed a nice scoring touch and some grittiness that you rarely see with a guy his size.

Bourque: Is exceeding expectations. Playing a great 2 way game on the top line with Pleks.

Prust: My friend played against him and when we signed him I had asked him what he thinks. He said "tough as nails". He was right. Leads the team in PIM. He brings this team some much needed sandpaper. Also, he's 3rd in plus minus behind the Gallys.

Eller: Started off the season in Therrien's dog house, but since then has really picked up his play and can be put with anyone on a line on any line. Eller has only played 10 minutes of PP time this season. Hopefully Therrien will reward him soon with more PP time.

Diaz: 9 points in 12 games. Who would of thought that? Hopefully he can keep it up. Definitely has exceeded expectations.

Subban: Although this is not the Subban we are use to, he's the only player on the team at 1 ppg pace. I think he only gets better from here, as long as Therrien smartens up a bit.

That's about it. Agree disagree?
Hard to disagree with that.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
coolasprICE

Colby Armstrong

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
PK76

Plekanec deserves a mention for sure. He has 6 goals already and plays a key role in all situations. He's our best forward and people always seem to forget how important he is for this team.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the first line of your post! FAIL

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Colby Armstrong
First on the **** list.

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-14-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: filter exists for a reason
dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Don't know if anyone disagrees but Plekanec has been this teams best player since the start of the season.
There are a ton of Plek bashers on these forums, some who think he is absolutely useless so they will easily argue this without facts to back them up. I am not one of them, and he has been one of the best (if not the best) player so far. If he could be better on the faceoff circle then I'd have no real complaints on his game to date

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's between Plekanec and Price IMO. Both have been the picture of consistency so far.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Plekanec, as per usual, has been our best player.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I still can't believe some fans want to trade Plekanec. Ugh.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

1-Plekanec
2-Price
3-Markov

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Plekanec's mistakes are very rare and far in between, and this against top players every night with the likes of Gionta on his wing. I think Pleky deserves at the very least, a mention.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Until recently, Eller was invisible. Thus far and globally, he is not amongst our best players. However he has been good recently (I wish for Eller – Desharnais – Cole tonight) and if he keeps it up, his name will appear on top of most mid season reports.

Other than that, I agree with the op.

My top5 is Price, Plekanec, Markov, Bourque and Diaz.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Jigger77

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
First on the **** list.
Armstrong isn't first on ANY list, the guy is a 4th liner. If you want to point fingers they should be aimed squarely at Gionta, Cole, Emelin, DD and Pacioretty.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Habtchum*

Plekanec
Price
Markov

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:

Honorable mention to:

Not bad eh

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Pleks, Bourque, Diaz, Markov, and Prust. Everyone else is at or below expectations.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
MaxChart

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Armstrong isn't first on ANY list, the guy is a 4th liner. If you want to point fingers they should be aimed squarely at Gionta, Cole, Emelin, DD and Pacioretty.
Why Gionta?

MaxChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
For me I'd say

Plekanec
Price

Markov
Subban
Galchenyuk/Gallagher (both are exceeding my expectations for them)
Bourque

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
Plekanec deserves a mention for sure. He has 6 goals already and plays a key role in all situations. He's our best forward and people always seem to forget how important he is for this team.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the first line of your post! FAIL
Pleks would have to be considered the best forward for sure. Three best Habs- Pleks, Price and Markov.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxChart View Post
Why Gionta?
Lack of leadership, production and finish. I find him to be the weakest link on the top line and a lot of plays die on his stick. If he was snakebitten I would say that but he just doesn't appear to be putting in the effort or going to the "dirty" areas. Out of those 5 I think he is the one I am least worried about turning it around.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:35 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Here are my grades after 13 games. The 2nd number is the grade I gave after 6 games.

Plekanec : 9,5 (9) = The MVP so far IMO
Subban : 9 (no grade) = He's the best D since his return, in my book. Is also used wisely by Therrien. Not as many responsabilities than last year.
Markov : 8,5 (9,5) = Still very satisfied, but not productive enough at 5 on 5
Price : 8,5 (7,5) = My first grade was too severe. He's a stud and inspire confidence to the whole team
Prust : 8,5 (8,5) = The best bottom lines player we had in Montreal since a long time
Bourque : 8 (7) = Pleasant surprise for me this year
Diaz : 8 (9) = Makes the occasional mistake and has slowed down but he's eating a lot of minutes and there isn't much more you can ask from him.
Gallagher : 7,5 (8,5) = Not as productive as in the first few games, but I'm still very impressed by him
Galchenyuk : 7,5 (8) = Has played more nervously recently, but he's so full of talent.
Gorges : 7,5 (7,5) = His usual self
Bouillon : 7,5 (7,5) = Nothing bad I can say about him so far. He's good at carrying the puck in the offensive zone
Emelin : 7 (8,5) = Still hitting as hard, but he's not always taking the good decisions in the defensive zone
Eller : 6,5 (4,5) = After a slow start, he has now transformed the 4th line into a good one
Gionta : 6,5 (7) = You need more finish from a first line winger, but you can't question his heart
Pacioretty : 6 (7,5) = Deserves the passing grade for recovering so quickly from his surgery, not for his play on ice. Needs to play with more intensity.
Moen : 6 (6) = Still too invisible.
Desharnais : 5,5 (5) = Is getting better and better every game. It's a matter of time in his case.
Cole : 5,5 (5,5) = Is also playing better recently. There's hope.
Armstrong : 5 (5) = Has played his first good game recently... but still a non-factor in most games.
Kaberle : 5 (5,5) = Has played very little, and when he did, I'm not sure he really wanted to be there
Budaj : 4,5 (4,5) = When you're scared to put you're 2nd goalie in net, there's a problem.
White : 4 (7) = Has put his team in trouble a few times already. Needs to be more disciplined, but I like him so hopefully he'll learn.
Weber : need to see more before grading

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:42 AM
NewHabsEra*

Pleks and Price have been great, Markov had an amazing start but has slowed down lately while Subban seems to want to take the lead on D, he has been playing fantastic hockey since his return IMO..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
TennisMenace

Random thoughts from a fan

Thank God for Gally and Chuckie. The thought of not having them playing for us is unnerving. Did you know Gally has the most 5-5 goals on the team with 4?
And Chuckie leads the team with a plus 7 with Gally second with plus 5.
Every other forward not named Bourque is swimming in mediocrity, or less. Our top line is still in lockout mode and its debatable if they ever recover. Personally, I think Patches will, but am dubious about other two. Oh, I know Pleks has 6 goals, but 3 are PP, and he still is on the ice more when the opposition scores than not (-3). Last year was much worse too. I wish he were better at 5-5. This concerns me.

Final thoughts: I would like to move DD and Gionta before the deadline and replace them with larger bodies. And of course, replace Armstrong with a proven nasty heavy weight.

Your comments and rebuttals are welcomed.

Last edited by TennisMenace: 02-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.
TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:41 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Thank God for Gally and Chuckie. The thought of not having them playing for us is unnerving. Did you know Gally has the most 5-5 goals on the team with 4?
And Chuckie leads the team with a plus 7 with Gally second with plus 5.
Every other forward not named Bourque is swimming in mediocrity, or less. Our top line is still in lockout mode and its debatable if they ever recover. Personally, I think Patches will, but am dubious about other two. Oh, I know Pleks has 6 goals, but 3 are PP, and he still is on the ice more when the opposition scores than not (-3). Last year was much worse too.

Final thoughts: I would like to move DD and Gionta before the deadline and replace them with larger bodies. And of course, replace Armstrong with a proven nasty heavy weight.

Your comments and rebuttals are welcomed.
Well to be fair, MT hasn't used the Gally line in defensive zone faceoffs and they haven't played against the other teams top lines either. Big difference when comparing top lines and 3rd lines.

They've done very well so far, but I'd say it's in large part due to MT putting them in the right situation to succeed and under the right conditions. They're our future and MT is doing a godd job with their development. I can say this even though it pains me to compliment MT as I hate him, though the "new & improved" version of him is slowly thawing out the cold. Now if he would just swap DD with Eller on the used to be top line with Patches and Cole, I'd be really happy. That would be one big, fast, skilled and gritty line that ANY team to have trouble defending.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote