HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[TB/MTL] Dustin Tokarski for Cédrick Desjardins

Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Also looked better in two NHL starts, although thats not saying much.
Yeah, in case of an injury going with CD is probably the much safer route. And for next year, who knows? Lindback/Desjardins? Lindback/Helenius? Lindback/Janus? Lindback/FA?

As I said I wasn't happy when we let him go, I really thought he could be a solid backup goalie in the NHL.

Thank god Yzerman is able to look far into the future and saw all those injuries coming.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I still might be the only one who believes Tic will be good..but I don't like this at all.

02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I still might be the only one who believes Tic will be good..but I don't like this at all.
Nothing I've seen of him in the AHL tells me he's at the "Starting NHL Goalie" level. He played behind an absolutely dominant team last season in Norfolk. He's been mediocre to bad in Syracuse, however the team has been pretty bad of late as well.

I see him being a solid career backup at most. Hope I'm wrong because I do like the guy.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:26 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Really not that sad about losing Tik, between Lindback and Vasilevskiy (and Janus and Wilcox for that matter) I didn't think he'd ever be a #1 here. Just a little confused that we couldn't get anything more than an AHL stopgap for him.

That said, Lindback is sick today and might not be skating against the Caps - is Cedrick the Entertainer going to be dressing for the Lightning tonight?

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Surprising move to say the least. I wasn't happy when we let CD go but...
My thoughts exactly. Goodbye Tic. Thanks for the memories.

Xenophobia Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Nothing I've seen of him in the AHL tells me he's at the "Starting NHL Goalie" level. He played behind an absolutely dominant team last season in Norfolk. He's been mediocre to bad in Syracuse, however the team has been pretty bad of late as well.

I see him being a solid career backup at most. Hope I'm wrong because I do like the guy.
Last season he was at least as good as Janus, so yes, not the greatest season so far but a bit harsh perhaps to judge him only based on that?

Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Last season he was at least as good as Janus, so yes, not the greatest season so far but a bit harsh perhaps to judge him only based on that?
Except the AHL is a development league. It's used precisely to judge how players develop. Barring injury, he's supposed to have progressed and developed. He hasn't. He's been much better than Riku though(not high praise).

Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
ultra63

Boucher probably prefers Cédrick Desjardins because he's French and played in Hamilton

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

This trade really hurts

WHY TIC

Old
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Cedric been absolutely crap
No he hasn't.

He's on the worst team in the AHL (all rookies, no vets) so he gets no help and he was injured to start the year, so he came in cold. He's been excellent for the last 6 weeks or so.

I like the trade for MTL because Tokarski is controllable and we have so little depth at the G position. However, if Price had of got hurt, I'd be more comfortable with Desjardins in the NHL than Tokarski.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
zeykshade

‏@erlendssonTBO

Yzerman says basically bringing in Desjardins is about having a better quality guy in the event of injury or call up to Lindback or Garon

Old
02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

wow. Desjardins has been passed over on waivers several times.

Lindback must have really proven himself for SFY to feel comfortable enough to make that deal.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:18 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Quote:
GM Yzerman said trade for Desjardins was because in case of injury to Lindback or Garon "we weren't comfortable with our options right now."
Options, meaning both goalies. So why Tic instead of Riku? Tokarski has been the better goalie in Syracuse. Helenius has a 2 year deal but I can't see him in the NHL after the way he's been this year. And while Tokarski has also struggled this year at least he has proven himself in his AHL career while Helenius has not.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

Options, meaning both goalies. So why Tic instead of Riku? Tokarski has been the better goalie in Syracuse. Helenius has a 2 year deal but I can't see him in the NHL after the way he's been this year. And while Tokarski has also struggled this year at least he has proven himself in his AHL career while Helenius has not.
Could they get anything for Helenius? You've (often) got to give something to get something.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

This trade TIC'S me off... Eh guys... Guys? Anyone? Ok, moving on, it's not a trade I am like but a trade that I understand. Still think we could have at least got a draft pick out of it.

Yzlamic Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
This trade TIC'S me off... Eh guys... Guys? Anyone? Ok, moving on, it's not a trade I am like but a trade that I understand. Still think we could have at least got a draft pick out of it.
This is what I sort of don't get. The decision must have been recent as Desjardins has been waived multiple times since he was last in the organization.

I'd think the ideal course of action would be to get him there and then trade Tik for a pik or something.

I get the logic of this deal, but it's still sort of surprising.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

Riku is untradeable?

I understand the affection for Tic, but I really think he has been overrated the past couple of years.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Eh, I'm fine with it. I think Tic tops out as an NHL backup, personally, so trading him for someone that can fill that role now is fine with me.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
crunchrulz

WOW, a bit baffled by this but going to let it work its way out before commenting one way or the other. SFY knows what is best for the organization so it is in his hands. Perhaps this is the wake up call, to go with last night's game, the Crunch need.

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
TurboBrick

Well this makes Helenius definite #1 in Syracuse now. His contract for this year is a 2-way but he's locked in on a 1-way for next year.

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:41 PM
randyc

Helenius

Well for better or worse the Crunch get on the Riku roller coaster. Why they farmed out Janus this season still baffles me.

randyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
stammerhammer91

I wouldn't be so sure that this means helenius is the definite number one. Yzerman said that this trade was made because syracuse has not had good enough goaltending. Desjardins has started before and he could start again easily for the majority of the season. I hope that helenius takes this opportunity and runs with it but desjardins will have a big say in that as well

stammerhammer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
fitchjr1

Regarding waivers, if TB claimed CD, they'd have to keep him in NHL (not their plan with Lindback/Garon being the goaltenders). If they then tried to send him to Syracuse, the original team could easily reclaim him and send him to their AHL affiliate, which I assume MTL would have done. That's why I'd assume they didn't claim him.

Reading Yzerman's comments, I'd assume CD will moreso be the #1 goaltender or a decent split. He wants CD in case someone gets injured, you don't want your #3 goaltender as a cold AHL backup. He also said this was because of Syracuse's instability in goaltending.

fitchjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:25 PM
AllAbout813

I think this could have been done more as a favor for Tik, because he was never going to get a fair chance to shine here as its way too crowded as others have said.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
I think this could have been done more as a favor for Tik, because he was never going to get a fair chance to shine here as its way too crowded as others have said.
Ummm... it's not like he's going to get a ton of chances behind Price.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote