Dany Heatley...

Old
02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
quite different? come on....systems is the biggest BS buzz going.

It's still hockey. This isn't football.
European hockey has long since passed NHL hockey when it comes to systems and the tactical side of play.

I agree it's a simple game though.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
European hockey has long since passed NHL hockey when it comes to systems and the tactical side of play.

I agree it's a simple game though.
European hockey is more tactical due to the larger ice surface, putting less emphasis on physical play.

That makes tactics and coaching more important, and is also the reason why top notch European coaches would have hard time succeeding in the NHL (see: Alpo Suhonen).

02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

I question Heatley's conditioning more than anything. Maybe he's just used up, but I really think he doesn't realize that he needs to work out even harder as he gets older.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
I question Heatley's conditioning more than anything. Maybe he's just used up, but I really think he doesn't realize that he needs to work out even harder as he gets older.
This is something that has been on my mind as well lately.

After the Heatley episode of Becoming Wild, I had some reservation about just how serious he takes his conditioning.

For a guy of his height and weight, he is not nearly as strong as he should be, not for a pro athlete. He just seems to be a little burnt out on the whole thing.

You can tell Koivu and Parise thrive on competition; destroying the opposition and battling. Heatley just seems tired and mostly just goes through the motions.

I might be wrong, and I hope I am, but this is the impression I get.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Land O Lakes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

After the Heatley episode of Becoming Wild, I had some reservation about just how serious he takes his conditioning.

For a guy of his height and weight, he is not nearly as strong as he should be, not for a pro athlete. He just seems to be a little burnt out on the whole thing.

You can tell Koivu and Parise thrive on competition; destroying the opposition and battling. Heatley just seems tired and mostly just goes through the motions.

He's a prima donna. It's no mystery people.

Land O Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
All reports out of the locker room seem to contradict that.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Mumbler*

The struggles obviously stem from the lack of wearing a stylish mock/turtle-neck.

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:55 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
I really don't believe he's a prima donna at all, for a variety of reasons that have given me a good impression of who he is.

He just comes across as burnt out. He can get passionate at times, and when he does he still has some pretty good skill, but it's almost like it pains him to maintain it.

He is slower this year as well. That probably does not help anything.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

If there is anyone out there willing to take Danys contract then imo the Wild should jump on whatever they are offering in return.

He is clearly on the downside and can only play with the top line where he will get some crumbs now and then as a result of others play, oh sure once in awhile like tonight he will tease with a charge to the net but i don't ever see this guy approaching anything close to 30 goals ever again and sooner rather then later that number will be 20 goals.

He is a road block right now imo and stands in the way of players such as Zucker and Coyle who are ulimately more important to the direction of this team.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:12 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Good insight.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:32 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

He should have used his offseason getting rid of some pounds. Screw physicality..

One of the veterans on my hometown team struggeled with the speed of the game got rid of 20 pounds before this season. And now he is league leader in points..

Not saying Heatley will ever be, but you know what i mean..

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:47 AM
roon

I am a pretty big Heatley critic...but he brought his game last night. Thought he was much better.

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Beegoalie

Keep him on the top line where he is happy and semi productive. Anywhere else in the lineup and he is worthless and a liability to this team. On that top line he is a pretty solid producer. Even if he can't skate anymore. He is still a solid top 6 player and PP guy when paired with the right players. A 60 point a year guy and he can't even skate anymore. Says a lot about his skills as a hockey player.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There were reports early on that Heatley put on some muscle this year. Maybe he's just starting to work out? I've read a lot of reports that his conditioning and workouts were next to nil in the past. Definitely got by on pure talent and skill and he does seem to be a gamer.

I really hope that when he was deadlifting and squatting 120 pounds those were either warmup reps or he was still rehabbing from surgery. Because he ought to be doing at least twice that amount for those specific exercises. Weak legs aren't going to give you explosive speed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There were reports early on that Heatley put on some muscle this year. Maybe he's just starting to work out? I've read a lot of reports that his conditioning and workouts were next to nil in the past. Definitely got by on pure talent and skill and he does seem to be a gamer.

I really hope that when he was deadlifting and squatting 120 pounds those were either warmup reps or he was still rehabbing from surgery. Because he ought to be doing at least twice that amount for those specific exercises. Weak legs aren't going to give you explosive speed.
Agreed. Those are pathetic weights for a professional athlete who gets paid 7.5 million per year.

I think he was good in the last game when he got on the top line again, so it seems to point out to an attitude / motivational issue on the second line, unfortunately. He better keep producing with Koivu and Parise as we can't afford any sulking divas on the team. However, as Jarick pointed out he seems like a guy who has strived mostly on his natural talent and ability which would indicate the recent decline of his career is permanent and probably just gets worse soon. Guy is 32 and is not getting any younger, not with having neglected training so badly thus far. With that in mind I think Wild should move on without him this upcoming offseason.

FVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

There's a lot of talk about buying out Heatley's contract. I think it's an overreaction.

Heatley was our top scorer last year, he's the #3 point scorer this year (#2 for goals), and his contract only has 1 year left.

The guy definitely isn't worth 7.5 mil, but we have a bunch of cap space opening up next year, so it's not really a concern. And there's a strong chance that Heatley's numbers will go up once the team develops more chemistry. It's worth the small risk to hold onto him for the rest of his contract.

Get Heatley an aggressive personal trainer, and trade away some of the many 3rd liners we have instead.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:17 PM
MNWILDFAN001

I don't think anyone denies Heatley can shoot the puck. I know it's been talked about a lot, but I think his lack of speed is holding the 1st line back. Anytime he mishandles the puck, which seems like it happens often, the opposing player beats him to the puck. I think it hurts the break out and our offensive zone pressure. Finding someone to fill that spot will be tough. But if they can get a faster winger, I think the 1st will be more productive. We'll see more chances coming from rushes up the ice and better zone time.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDFAN001 View Post
I don't think anyone denies Heatley can shoot the puck. I know it's been talked about a lot, but I think his lack of speed is holding the 1st line back. Anytime he mishandles the puck, which seems like it happens often, the opposing player beats him to the puck. I think it hurts the break out and our offensive zone pressure. Finding someone to fill that spot will be tough. But if they can get a faster winger, I think the 1st will be more productive. We'll see more chances coming from rushes up the ice and better zone time.
Semi Disagree..I think Heatley has shown he is a good fit on that line. Just needs to keep his consistency. I would be VERY surprised to see that line split up the rest of the season.

Its the only way to use Heatley properly and he is a good fit on that line. When they play well they are a very good top line in this league.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post
There's a lot of talk about buying out Heatley's contract. I think it's an overreaction.

Heatley was our top scorer last year, he's the #3 point scorer this year (#2 for goals), and his contract only has 1 year left.

The guy definitely isn't worth 7.5 mil, but we have a bunch of cap space opening up next year, so it's not really a concern. And there's a strong chance that Heatley's numbers will go up once the team develops more chemistry. It's worth the small risk to hold onto him for the rest of his contract.

Get Heatley an aggressive personal trainer, and trade away some of the many 3rd liners we have instead.
Exactly..there is no rush to get rid of him. And with a 7.5 Cap hit thats not an option anyways. He's a good player to have. Maybe not for that price but the price doesn't hurt us right now anyways.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I'd still rather have Heatley than Havlat.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
i'd still rather have heatley than havlat.
ainec

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
You guys realize that NHLers currently lift light amount of weights with high volume reps and speed...that's why you see Heatley only doing 120 pound squats. Hockey is all about explosion. Squatting 400 pounds makes your legs stronger but not explosive. My high school team program does the same thing modled after these NHLers...

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I'd still rather have Heatley than Havlat.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Semi Disagree..I think Heatley has shown he is a good fit on that line. Just needs to keep his consistency. I would be VERY surprised to see that line split up the rest of the season.

Its the only way to use Heatley properly and he is a good fit on that line. When they play well they are a very good top line in this league.
Yeah I can't say they don't ever play well together. But seeing what Zucker did using his speed, I can't help but think of the missed opportunities. If we had a right winger for our 1st line with speed like that, or close to it, we could see rushes up the ice like from our 1st line too.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:06 PM
DANOZ28

id rather have heatr than hav-a-flat. i also believe he is best suited on the 2nd line due to lack of speed. (something yeo fails to realize). seto/ brodz or granlund/ heatr imo is the best position 4 him.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote