HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby 400th Career assist

Old
02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
SteelFish87*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Very unlikely.

Crosby is much more of a goal scorer than Thornton ever was. Hell, his last full season he netted 51 goals.

A healthy-full Crosby season is much more likely to go 50-80 or 45-85 than go 35-95.

Crosby also has very little to work with line-wise and his time with Malkin is basically limited to the PP.
i agree with what you are saying but Crosby is a great playmaker and very unselfish. If he ever got a top-notch winger to solidify his line, i could easily see him getting well over 90 assists. Maybe even as soon as next season if the Pens are able to acquire a guy like Iginla

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
i agree with what you are saying but Crosby is a great playmaker and very unselfish. If he ever got a top-notch winger to solidify his line, i could easily see him getting well over 90 assists. Maybe even as soon as next season if the Pens are able to acquire a guy like Iginla
Do you have examples of where an established star's assists totals increased with a star winger. It seems that players like Crosby produce regardless who they play with and the big jump in stats is seen when an average player joins the star's line i.e Rob Brown, Cheechoo.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:55 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
I'm obviously being very optimistic, using Mark Recchi (a famously durable player) as a parallel. I don't expect Crosby to have that kind of durability or anything close to it, but the point of this little thought exercise was to show how Crosby COULD score 2000 point in a realistic scenario. There's nothing unrealistic in thinking he could have Mark Recchi's career arc, he was, after all, a player that actually existed. And there were others like him. Jagr is like him... and might have had a shot at 2000 if he stuck around for his KHL years. Would this be difficult for Crosby? Of course, very. Unlikely? Naturally.
Fair enough. Crosby is one of the few players who actually is in the conversation of hitting 2000 points if healthy.

I don't see durability as the only criteria here. Players tend to over/underachieve in different seasons. Even if Crosby is capable of hitting 100 does not mean he is going to. Even if he is healthy.

But you have a good point. If Crosby would/could have been healthy he is a legit threat for 2000.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Sid Vicious be assisting off-ice too, ask the Pens players, they get DAT ASS

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Congrats to Sid!

Always been a big fan and always will be

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Secondary.
That combined with the Steven's wink made me

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
WarriorScholar

You still can't even compare ppg to the days of old , since the era is so different. Once again, hockey is the only sport where records will never be broken. I don't like it

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Is he the fastest (in terms of GP) in NHL history to this milestone? That doesn't seem right. I'm trying to figure out a way to figure out a way to work this out on Hockey-Reference and this is what I came up with, it lists Sid as the only one to do it in that number of games (obviously I had to ignore this game because it doesn't update in real-time)(.
According to nhl.com he''s 5th fastest to 400 assists.

1. Gretzky (290 games)
2. Lemieux (353 games)
3. Stastny (411 games)
4. Orr (437 games)
5. Crosby (448 games)

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
newfy

Hes the best player in the game when hes healthy but lets not get too crazy here people.

Putting him up in the top 10 all time when hes already missed a bunch of injury time and then assuming he'll roll right into old age still producing is questionable. Looking at a guys ppg stats when hes in the middle of his prime and hasnt had time for that to tail off is a little off base too. Forsbergs way up there in that sense but the guy was never healthy and retired young. If you have a full career and are up there in that stat its impressive. Less impressive when Forsberg is only up there because he couldnt stay healthy.

Crosby could do it, but none of us know for sure

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Crosby's a badass.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:10 PM
NewFang

Coming in just his 448th game, it made Crosby the fifth-fastest player to reach that mark, behind only Wayne Gretzky (290 games), Mario Lemieux (353), Peter Stastny (411) and Bobby Orr (437).

FASTEST PLAYERS TO 400 ASSISTS

According to Elias Sports Bureau, Sidney Crosby is the fifth-fastest player in NHL history to 400 assists:

1. Wayne Gretzky, 290 games
2. Mario Lemieux, 353 games
3. Peter Stastny, 411 games
4. Bobby Orr, 437 games
5. Sidney Crosby, 448 games
6. Denis Savard, 450 games

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Do you have examples of where an established star's assists totals increased with a star winger. It seems that players like Crosby produce regardless who they play with and the big jump in stats is seen when an average player joins the star's line i.e Rob Brown, Cheechoo.
Don't have time to look for examples but Sid did have 84 assists in 79 games as a 19-year old so getting into the mid-90's would not be a huge jump

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
If Martin St. Louis can still play at such a high level at age 37, I don't doubt Crosby could do the same.
However I'm convinced that St. Louis should be nicknamed "Wolverine" for how durable the guy is.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Don't have time to look for examples but Sid did have 84 assists in 79 games as a 19-year old so getting into the mid-90's would not be a huge jump
My point was that I'm not sold that putting a sniper on his wing will make that much difference to his point total. It's usually the other way around.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote