HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline: Trade Anderson

Old
02-14-2013, 12:33 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

vCash: 500
I don't like to look gift goalies in the mouth.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
No.

Dumbest ****ing idea I've heard in a while.
+2 Herb.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Hale The Villain

The best case scenario for this team would be to have a Anderson-Lehner tandem for the forseeable future. I want them to become like Luongo-Schneider and Thomas-Rask.

People don't understand what a great situation that is to have. Lehner gets eased into the NHL slowly, and we get #1 goaltending from both goalies.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
koreaboy

as little as a month ago i was much more open to the idea of trading anderson than i am now. after seeing continued excellence from him, i'm far, far less down with moving him. i think murray is right when he says andy is a cornerstone piece for maybe 5-8 years. he's playing that well, and when you get a goalie who can legitimately carry you over 65-70 games and steal games on a regular basis, you're gold. we have NEVER had that before, and we would be stupid just to give that away.

now, all that being said, if someone just gave us some ridiculous offer like a top, top young power forward, scoring winger, or a young no.1 pairing stud defenceman, i'd do it in a heartbeat and give the ball to lehner. but no one is going to do that, so i don't want to move him. anderson now has to be thought of of our goalie of the present and forseeable future, and not just a bridge to lehner.

you have to hope that lehner is patient enough to not pout about that.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

According to Murray, he has no interest in gutting the team and starting a re-build.

Man, Cowen, Spezza, Karlsson... I just can't get over it.

Be interesting to see how his line of thinking holds up over the next month or so.

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

While i dont want to move anderson given we've spent 20 years trying to find anderson, if someone blew your socks off how can you not consider it.

1st rounder from a lottery team?
Couturier from the Flyers?

now granted why a lottery team would be looking for a top notch goalie and trade that pick is a mystery to me.
and its extra ordinarily unlikely that the Flyers would trade Couturier for a goalie. im just sayin'
never say never.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
While i dont want to move anderson given we've spent 20 years trying to find anderson, if someone blew your socks off how can you not consider it.

1st rounder from a lottery team?
Couturier from the Flyers?

now granted why a lottery team would be looking for a top notch goalie and trade that pick is a mystery to me.
and its extra ordinarily unlikely that the Flyers would trade Couturier for a goalie. im just sayin'
never say never.
Couturier is over rated.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
sens83

Trading one of Andy, Bishop, or Lehner would leave Marc Chevrie as the starting goalie in Binghamton. For those who don't pay attention, Lawson got charged the other day by, guess who, the WB/Scranton Penguins, and is now concussed.

So if any injuries arise in the cage in Ottawa, guess who the call up is, Marc Chevrie...ouch...

Please don't trade away something where you actually have a little depth now. Stay the course, tank, get Seth Jones, and move on.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:14 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Wait wait wait. We finally have an excellent, stable goalie for the first time in over a decade and you want to trade him just because we lost karlsson for 3-4 months?

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
According to Murray, he has no interest in gutting the team and starting a re-build.
I am really confused by the 'we should blow up and rebuild' mentality that's getting tossed around. We're in the middle of a rebuild now. We already had our blow-up.

This team is young. We aren't anywhere near the contenders some people peg us to be. There's absolutely no reason to try and move the few veterans we have left. Any value we'd get back from them would be mitigated by the fact that our developing prospects would be rushed into the NHL.

If anything, the injuries to Spezz and Karlsson should be a wake up call that our roster really isn't that good yet and that we should keep expectations low still.

02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I am really confused by the 'we should blow up and rebuild' mentality that's getting tossed around. We're in the middle of a rebuild now. We already had our blow-up.
Oh no worries, I'm with you all the way. I'm obviously disappointed because I honestly do think we were good enough to make another run for a lower seed in the East, but just hoping to stem the tide of, "Well, we better trade everybody now."

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Trading Anderson is stupid.

Trading guys like Gonchar and Alfredsson / whoever else is smart since we aren't going to make the playoffs with the holes we have in the lineup.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
mcnorth

Don't trade Anderson. Please don't. Having Anderson and Lehner in the organization is a good thing. Why the hell do we have to only keep one again? Because of someone's feelings? Screw that.

Start platooning guys from Bingo into the line-up for a few games at a time and see what they can do. This season is all about skill and character development now. I want to see Stone and Hoffman come back from their injuries and get 20 games in (at least). I want Ceci up after the junior season is over, I want everybody on Bingo under 25 to get a cup of coffee. Let's see what we've got.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Savannah Skunk

Trading Anderson IMHO is the dumbest move this organization could make. He is currently the best NHL goaltender in the league. He has played LIGHTS OUT for us since he arrived. He proved he can compete with the best in the playoffs (despite an inferior roster).

I think we should let Anderson play out his contract and if continues this level of play, resign him. Who cares what Lehner's potential is... we already have a NUMBER 1 goaltender. Lehner will only provide healthy motivation for Anderson to continue his solid play (not that he really needs it.)

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
HavlatMach9

Lehner is a good insurance policy if anything ever happens to Anderson. Good to hear Murray believing he can be a goalie for a long time.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
enviro61

I love Anderson but you would have to be a fool not to entertain offers. We are rebuilding and his value is at an all time high. If we are out of the playoffs you move him for the right deal imo. We go with Lehner and Bishop the rest of the way, giving them the opportunity to get some experience before next season.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Ed Wood

This idea that Anderson is the greatest goalie in franchise history leaves me perplexed. I'd rank him below Hasek, Lalime and Tugnutt. Anyone who thinks his current level is sustainable is delusional. His performance last year, while admirable, was not among the top several seasons produced by Sens goalies past.

It's true he's playing great right now but if you truly believe in Lehner as I do selling high on Anderson makes a lot of sense. Sitting on three NHL caliber goalies while the rest of our lineup is riddled with holes makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not suggesting we give him away but if we can get a solid youngish top six forward or top four dman we'd be crazy not to consider it.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I love Anderson but you would have to be a fool not to entertain offers. We are rebuilding and his value is at an all time high. If we are out of the playoffs you move him for the right deal imo. We go with Lehner and Bishop the rest of the way, giving them the opportunity to get some experience before next season.
I understand, we trade for picks and prospects. However, when we have the BEST current goaltender in the NHL, and a goaltender who has been brilliant since his arrival almost two years ago; why would you focus on trading the best asset the team has?

Andy is currently the best NHL goaltender. Since we are re'build'ing, lets BUILD on that.

I hope Anderson plays lights out for the next few years and happily concludes his contract,... only to get resigned for another four or five years of goaltending brilliance.

If we have to trade Lehner, so be it. I would rather have a goaltender who gives the team confidence and gives the team a chance to win every night rather than a potential prospect who is years away from achieving his potential.

Right now, we have a guy that 'IS' achieving his potential. His name is Mr. Anderson. =) Enjoy it!!

If Lehner is smart, he will earn the back-up position, and learn from Andy for the next few years while providing him a little extra family time and/or pursuit of culinary endeavours.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Savannah Skunk

For almost two years, Anderson has given us great goaltending, both in the regular season and last year's playoffs. He always gives the team a chance to win games. That is exactly what EVERY team in the league wants. Now that we have that guy, why give him away? Every team needs one, even those rebuilding.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:34 AM
george8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Atta boy Murray.
Murray takes alot of heat but I agree with him on this one.

george8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

The next person who suggests Andy gets traded, my god there is going to be a murder...

What on earth goes through your heads? Do you not think before you type?!

Let's tell the players that we've given up ALL hope and go with a crappy rookie tandem... Why should we do that? Well, look at the success Toronto had! IT WORKS!

Oh wait, no, it doesn't.

Let's trade Andy and get a legit top 6 winger! Oh wait, no, that won't happen either... We'd get a few bottom six players, and maybe some kind of future consideration AT THE VERY BEST.

Goalies don't get you much. Andy will NOT get traded. He IS this team right now.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:10 AM
VVS

No way. We finally have consistent goaltending, and giving it away is ridiculous.

Yes Lehner has been great in Bingo, but I'd much rather have him and Anderson next year, than Lehner and Bishop or a random back-up goaler.

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:38 AM
enviro61

Any objective fan realizes that this team is not a cup contender for the next couple of years. Look left, way left towards Vancouver. Signed Luo to a long-term contract and have a young gun who wants playing time. It has created a ton of controvery and been a sideshow the past couple of years for a contending team.

It doesn't take a genius to see the same storm brewing in these parts in a year or two if Lehner continues to develop and Andy continues to play well. I do however like the idea of a veteran backup once Lehner proves he can handle the starters position but will Anderson be content backing up when he still has many years ahead of him?

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:53 AM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11 View Post
If you deal Anderson, you are not only giving up on this year. You are probably giving up on next year too. Thats not a great message to send to the fans or the team. Having Spezza, Cowen, (hopefullly) Karlsson and more developed youngs players with some other changes and this team should be pretty solid next season.

Lets just state the obvious, if Anderson is dealt, it's pretty certain we will have worse goaltending next season. There are no comparable goalies available at a reasonable cost and Lehner/Bishop are kids without a proven record.

Andy is in his prime and is the first real number one goalie we can trot out night after night and get a solid to amazing perfomance. Why would you deal him until Lehner pushes him out (say through consistent NHL performance)?

Want to develop young players? Why not give them a goalie that has shown he can cover up for defensive gaffes? Or how about not throwing Lehner into the fire without a proven goalie to work with?

This season appears sunk, but I dont want to throw away the near future too. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
But but its the second year of a three year rebuild..

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Zorf
Let's win it all- MR

If the Sens trade when every player's value is at their highest, they will never be a good team. I get that this year has gone to the crapper, but trading Anderson is premature at this point.

Ideally, the Sens will rock a tandem on Andy and Lehner next season. Lehner can continue his proper development curve and play 35ish games next year with Andy covering the rest. Having a consummate professional like Andy to mentor Lehner will pay huge dividends in for the next 10 years.

After next season is the absolute earliest that this team should explore the option of trading Anderson.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote