HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's time for Capuano to go

Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Just throwing this out there - if Capuano is canned, I'm 99% sure Doug Weight takes over. If you guys feel he's ready to coach at an NHL level, cool. If you guys rather have someone over him, that's cool as well.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Just throwing this out there - if Capuano is canned, I'm 99% sure Doug Weight takes over. If you guys feel he's ready to coach at an NHL level, cool. If you guys rather have someone over him, that's cool as well.
And what does this say about Snow. Is he that lazy and didn't interview anybody else.? Is he just acting upon orders from Wang?

Snow interviewed others, still hired DW. Would that point to ineptitude on a grand scale?

What does this say about The state of the Isles. Are they just that pitiful and/or cheap? There is always the possibility of Wang going over Snow's head and hired DW.

Last edited by Mr Wentworth: 02-13-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
I think Thompson takes over because he has HC expierence...

How do people feel about Brent Sutter?

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:12 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
And what does this say about
1) Snow. Is he that lazy? Is he just acting upon orders from Wang?
2) The state of the Isles. Are they just that pitiful and/or cheap?
yes to both 1 and 2. Not lazy, but certainly acting on ********'s wishes. And yes pitiful and CHEEEEEAAAAPPPPP.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Snow interviewed others, still hired DW. Would that point to ineptitude on a grand scale?
I have no issue with DW as a PP coach. I'd say he has done a good job no less. One day he may be a great head coach, but man, he really needs to add some experience to the resume. Coaching & playing are very different animals

As for DW & Cappy, we hired them because they came very very cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck forced him to accept a 38 hour work week to save on benefits.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:18 PM
lacunacoil777

Doug weight is in with Charles Wang. Google his interviews the last 5 years. He kisses more Wang axx then Dopietro n snow combined. I work for the government so I don't have to kiss axx but if I needed to I would.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:19 AM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Brent Sutter wont come here for cheap. And I think Wang want a cheap coach. More chance to see a guy like Thompson (My choice if we go for the cheap route) or Weight (unfortunately), who I believe, he's kissing Wang's ass.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:20 AM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
Doug weight is in with Charles Wang. Google his interviews the last 5 years. He kisses more Wang axx then Dopietro n snow combined. I work for the government so I don't have to kiss axx but if I needed to I would.
Absolutely!

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

Brent Sutter turned down Wang after Milbury left and probably isn't interested.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Stolen from the main board:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJuice View Post
  • Ron Wilson
  • Jacques Martin
  • Guy Carbonneau
  • Mike Keenan
  • Dave King
  • Marc Crawford
  • Bob Gainey
  • Joe Sacco
  • Craig Hartsburg
  • Brent Sutter
  • Cory Clouston
  • Scott Arniel
  • Tom Renney

Now that the heads have started rolling in the GM department, coaches' turn can't be that far ahead. Each team has of course its own unique situation and needs but I guess we could speculate a little here on the free agent coach roster.

Which coach do you see getting the call? Do you consider some of them damaged goods or past their expiration date? Assistant coaches / AHL head coaches ready to step up? The list above is just to mention a few names, feel free to add more. Personally I would like to see coachrw63 and Iron Mike back behind the bench.
And I have a feeling we're gonna end up with Dough (friggin) Weight. Not that he's going to be a bad coach, or anything like that, he's not experienced enough as a coach to be ahead of most of these men on the list.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
steveat

I would love ANY Sutter to be our Head Coach. Duane is in Edmonton as a scout. We can bring back the old days!

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
I think one thing Cappy doesn't seem to be good at is managing the ice time of his players, and making sure the top guys get enough of a breather.

If you look at the breakdown of TOI/G (time on ice per game) for the Islanders, you see the following:

Top six forwards
Tavares - 22:05
Moulson - 20:25
Nielsen - 19:09
Grabner - 18:21
Okposo - 18:04

Bottom six forwards
Aucoin - 12:58
Bailey - 12:56
Martin - 10:50
Reasoner - 9:48
Ullstrom - 9:47
Cizikas - 9:44
McDonald - 9:40
Boulton - 4:34

I could understand the 4th line getting less than 10 minutes per game, but until Bailey returned, even the majority of the 3rd line was getting around or below 10 minutes a night. Essentially, the top two lines play an incredible amount of hockey, more than you'd usually see.

Could this have an impact on the Isles late in games? Especially in a condensed season, your top six wingers are out there so much that perhaps that's why you don't see the Isles play 60 solid minutes. By the third, the top guys are gassed and the bottom guys don't have their skating legs from inactivity.

Is Cappy to blame entirely? Perhaps he has no faith in his third and fourth lines, so relies on the guys who he does trust. And partially, I can't fault him. When your third line is composed usually -- not sure how Bailey's return has changed this -- of two career AHL guys and a rookie (McDonald, Aucoin and Ullstrom), the tendency is to play them as if they were a 4th line.

Regardless, this is just an outsider's thoughts on potentially why the Isles struggle to play hard for a full 60 minutes. Not sure if there's actual merit to it.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:52 AM
xECK29x

Weight would be terrible and Thompson isn't NHL ready, you all need to read B.D. Gallof's new article today:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/...s-losing-stew/

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think one thing Cappy doesn't seem to be good at is managing the ice time of his players, and making sure the top guys get enough of a breather.

If you look at the breakdown of TOI/G (time on ice per game) for the Islanders, you see the following:

Top six forwards

Bottom six forwards

I could understand the 4th line getting less than 10 minutes per game, but until Bailey returned, even the majority of the 3rd line was getting around or below 10 minutes a night. Essentially, the top two lines play an incredible amount of hockey, more than you'd usually see.

Could this have an impact on the Isles late in games? Especially in a condensed season, your top six wingers are out there so much that perhaps that's why you don't see the Isles play 60 solid minutes. By the third, the top guys are gassed and the bottom guys don't have their skating legs from inactivity.

Is Cappy to blame entirely? Perhaps he has no faith in his third and fourth lines, so relies on the guys who he does trust. And partially, I can't fault him. When your third line is composed usually -- not sure how Bailey's return has changed this -- of two career AHL guys and a rookie (McDonald, Aucoin and Ullstrom), the tendency is to play them as if they were a 4th line.

Regardless, this is just an outsider's thoughts on potentially why the Isles struggle to play hard for a full 60 minutes. Not sure if there's actual merit to it.
This is a good post.

It's something that's been thrown around recently. He really seems to not know when to put out certain lines. Somebody brought up last game after a tv timeout he puts out the 4th line vs the other team's 1st line. Granted none of us our coaches, but a lot of times there really isn't any logic in some of his decisions.

Cizikas, Ullstrom, Bailey, Martin, and Aucoin should all see 2-4 extra minutes a game. Reasoner sees a little more time due to his PK shifts. Boulton and McDonald are just crap imo and don't belong anywhere near an NHL team.

Capuano is just not an NHL coach imo. It simply looks like he can't manage the pro game. The 5 on 5 play and to a lesser extent the goalie pulls at the end of the game make the team look very amateurish. If having to go with Weight or Thompson, I chose Thompson every time. The guy is a defense first coach, something this team needs.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

Could this have an impact on the Isles late in games? Especially in a condensed season, your top six wingers are out there so much that perhaps that's why you don't see the Isles play 60 solid minutes.
this is very accurate.

cappy has been giving Jt and Nielsen's lines far too much ice time this year, compared to the last two. maybe its the short season or lack of trust, but it's, mostly out of desperation.

these are the go to guys when you are up a goal out down a goal (usually the latter) & the 4th line had been inept, especially early in the year, much better with Cizikas and Ullstrom and Bailey back.

Tavares has played the toughest minutes I've seen from him this far in his career. He does all the work at both ends of the ice and he is struggling despite the good numbers. they are terrible defensively this year too.

Bailey, in my humble opinion, is the second best forward on the team, close to Nielsen and Grabner. its been just two games but he looks great out there, playing with "ok" players but playing some PP and PK as well. I believe he will take a step forward this year.

Cappy has been burned on line match ups a few times, against the Bruins and in the last Pens game as well, with the 4th line (horrible with Reasoner and Boulton).

he is a desperate coach, acting like one, probably for good reason. but this is a bad team as well.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Weight would be terrible and Thompson isn't NHL ready, you all need to read B.D. Gallof's new article today:

Great Read....

Crawford would not be bad...

I would prefer Keenan but hes getting up there in age so IDK....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
MTK

Quote:
Great Read....

Crawford would not be bad...

I would prefer Keenan but hes getting up there in age so IDK....
Snow and Wang will only hire a puppet which mean's a coach with no NHL experience.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:

A very good read! The part that stood out most was:

– Those who tout the negatives will use this losing streak to argue the glass-mostly-empty debate. This team was built to fail, owner Charles Wang won’t spend and nobody wants to win. I will tell you, that’s far from the case — there’s a growing frustration on product-versus-expectation.

02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
A very good read! The part that stood out most was:

– Those who tout the negatives will use this losing streak to argue the glass-mostly-empty debate. This team was built to fail, owner Charles Wang won’t spend and nobody wants to win. I will tell you, that’s far from the case — there’s a growing frustration on product-versus-expectation.
Very good to see that statement and I believe it is the case.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Very good to see that statement and I believe it is the case.
And I bet Wang is angry that Capuano hasn't kept Aucoin on his goal a game pace.

Let's analyze this glass half full/empty with knowledge of the last dozen glasses Wang's poured over the years in perspective. One time he had to sell hope to start a real estate deal. One time he had to sell a LHP idea. One time he didn't get his way. One time an angry mob was drilling him on Milbury - who he never fired or let go of.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
doublechili

vCash: 350
The issue with a rebuilding team is usually whether you go with:

1. a teaching/developmental coach who's patient and good with giving ice time to young players; or

2. a veteran coach who's looking to win and relies more on his vets and top players at the expense of youth.

Cappy is like the worst of both worlds.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
And what does this say about Snow. Is he that lazy and didn't interview anybody else.? Is he just acting upon orders from Wang?

What does this say about The state of the Isles. Are they just that pitiful and/or cheap? There is always the possibility of Wang going over Snow's head and hired DW.
I think the biggest issue with the Isles(other than the fact that they don't spend money) is that they value relationships more than they value winning. Weight will probably get the HC job if/when Cappy's fired, but because he's a nice guy... not because he's the best option.

Same reason why DP hasn't been and probably won't be bought out. He's a good dude and he has brunch with Wang every Wednesday.

The Islanders are like the guy who's too afraid of breaking up with his girlfriend, he ends up marrying her just to avoid hurting her feelings.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
jjricco8

It isn't the coach. Cappy is fine. It's the team. I wonder what you all think the Islanders record woul dbe if Al Arbour was coaching? Stanly Cup Champs?? The islanders had 3 rookies on teh blueline before Viz arrived. We still dont have a good goalie or a #1 D. Stop looking at the coach for answers.

jjricco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjricco8 View Post
It isn't the coach. Cappy is fine. It's the team. I wonder what you all think the Islanders record woul dbe if Al Arbour was coaching? Stanly Cup Champs?? The islanders had 3 rookies on teh blueline before Viz arrived. We still dont have a good goalie or a #1 D. Stop looking at the coach for answers.
I don't think it's a one or the other type situation. Obviously the team is extremely lacking in talent, but Capuano just is not a good coach. Look at Ted Nolan and what he was able to accomplish with an equally poor team(maybe even less talented, considering it was pre-Tavares). I'm sure a better coach could get better results, but I don't think many coaches would be able to get this team into the playoffs.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
camper

Quote:

Top six forwards

Bottom six forwards

Not accurate ice usage, Most of the time caps takes his team right out of the game by playing top lines and top pairing excessively, giving the rest of the team 2 mins a period, then when he sees he is in trouble exhausted wise ..he balances minutes. Very hard to play when you are left cold for long segments of a game

camper is offline   Reply With Quote