HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks GM Doug Wilson & Goalie Pads

Old
02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Sharks GM Doug Wilson & Goalie Pads

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sharks-...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Thoughts?

02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Bunk Moreland

I really don't mind what we have now.. I understand wanting to inject more offense into the game but it really doesn't matter to me honestly.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

vCash: 500
We know where Garth stands on this.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

1000 times yes. The pads are ridiculous.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
19NYSports91

Lundqvist won't be happy lol

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM
OlTimeHockey

You look at Fleury's pads? He goes butterfly, those choppers give eight extra inches and close up tight. It's ridiculous.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:19 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Well either shrink the pads or make the rinks bigger and since the 2nd choice will not happen for money reasons i will get with choice 1 = ) .This has also been discussed for many years now, i would not call it breaking news by any stretch.

02-14-2013, 04:54 AM
IslesNorway

Shrink the pads or enlarge the nets - that's the question. If the want more goals in hockey on the two must come to fruition.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:01 AM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Lundqvist won't be happy lol
He was the first that came to mind when I read the article.

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Please... please... PLEASE do something about this!

The day the NHL steps in and says ENOUGH is the day the sport of hockey turns back to being truly great. Late 80's/early 90's were the best time in hockey as far as I am concerned. 6-5, 7-6 games happened every other day instead of every other week.

Grant Fuhr was considered the best goaltender in the league back in the mid-late 80's (along with Patrick Roy) and the dude had around a 3.50 GAA. A 3.50 GAA these days doesn't even get you on the bench wearing a baseball cap. Hell, anything over 2.50 these days is considered bad. And think about it... with the composite sticks these days guys are shooting the puck much harder than back in the day. Logic would dictate that would lead to more offense but it has swung in the other direction. Reasons for that? Bigger goalies and those bigger goalies being made even bigger by those insanely huge pads. It needs to change.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

The question I ask is why did the league allow them to get so big?

Smaller and thicker pads can be just a "safe" as these. The problem is every goalie in the league with oversized mattresses strapped to their legs will have to learn to adjust their game or suffer greatly in the stats category.

As for enlarging the nets, I don't think that needs to be done if they bring goalie equipment down in size to a reasonable level.

Plus a 7 foot wide net I think would be too big. If the league did go that route, maybe 6' 6'' across.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:59 PM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
The question I ask is why did the league allow them to get so big?

Smaller and thicker pads can be just a "safe" as these. The problem is every goalie in the league with oversized mattresses strapped to their legs will have to learn to adjust their game or suffer greatly in the stats category.

As for enlarging the nets, I don't think that needs to be done if they bring goalie equipment down in size to a reasonable level.

Plus a 7 foot wide net I think would be too big. If the league did go that route, maybe 6' 6'' across.
I think it started with Roy and Irbe (Sharks goalie). Irbe was one of the first to use "oversized" pads, and I think another goalie called him out as using 15" wide pads at one point.

Roy used to "hide" foam blocks in his hip area to keep pucks from slipping between his arms and hips. The blocks were concealed by his jersey, and they have since banned things like this.

Kind of look at it like NASCAR. They take something away, so you look else where. They restricted the width of the pads, so you look to increase the length. Back in the day, before butterfly was the main "style" longer pads wouldn't help, but the butterfly + longer pads = advantage goalie

I am sure that there are many other "tricks", going back to the first goalie, but the shooters always had an advantage until the late 80's when the art of goal-tending became more then "a crazy who stops the puck". Once goalies became "smarter" and more athletic the advantage slowly switched away from the shooters.

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'll get on the boat of downsizing goalie pads as soon as players stop using composite sticks, non-jofa helmets, and anything else not from the 80's.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I really like this topic. I keep telling people this, but nobody that's younger agrees with me. How much larger have the nets gotten in the last 20-30 years? I'm not sure if they've increased at all, but I can't confirm that. The equipment has increased much more than the nets I can guarantee that. Why was there so much more scoring back in the day? Why was an 870 save percentage considered good, but now that's unacceptable? It's because the equipment has gotten bigger. People have told me ''Well the goalies are bigger'' Yeah? And so's the equipment on those big goalies! Are the goalies today more talented? Maybe some of them are, but not as drastic as the numbers say.

Take Patrick Roy for example. Back in the 80s, and early 90s he had 900-910 save percentages for a season. Even below 900 for a couple seasons. That was above average for that time period. Then he increased his equipment in the late 90s, and started wearing the oversized jersey, and at the end of his career he was putting up 920-925 save percentages for a year. There's a direct correlation with a goalies save percentages increasing when the same goaltender has increased their equipment over their career. He's just one example. Another would be Sean Burke.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Bexlyspeed

the goalie gear is way to big and its not about protection. the pads and the sticks are fractions of the weight they were in the mid 80s but the protection is way better. so why the increase in size? simply to have an advantage. now that said hey should nt go back to 80s size pads but they should reduce the current size, after all the skaters use sticks that help them add serious velocity to their shots, so its only fair to help the goalies, but right now its out of control

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
the goalie gear is way to big and its not about protection. the pads and the sticks are fractions of the weight they were in the mid 80s but the protection is way better. so why the increase in size? simply to have an advantage. now that said hey should nt go back to 80s size pads but they should reduce the current size, after all the skaters use sticks that help them add serious velocity to their shots, so its only fair to help the goalies, but right now its out of control
Yup, and I'm not singling out any goalie here. Truth is you have to have athleticism to be a good goalie even in this era. Though I've heard a lot of people say ''All you need to do is find a big oaf, and dress him up in a bunch of equipment'' and while I don't literally believe that to be true it's not as far off as you think.

There's some goalies like Jonas Hiller that wear huge stupid looking leg pads, but still have a gaping 5 hole. That I do not understand. Funny Jim Rutherford has spoken out about this. Considering he signed Dan Ellis who's one of the biggest offenders.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:25 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
NHL wants to further scale back size of goalie equipment

Finally!!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...alie-equipment

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:29 AM
IslesNorway

Nice! Smaller pads = more goals = more fun!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Islanderfan17

I'm all for smaller pads, love me some high scoring games.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:00 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
You look at Fleury's pads? He goes butterfly, those choppers give eight extra inches and close up tight. It's ridiculous.
And he still couldn't stop the puck off the back boards.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Knish Of The Crease

I'm a goalie. I wear the current pro spec gear. I think the current sizing is fine, I have the bruises to prove it. You really can't make it that much smaller w/o sacrificing protection. The goal scoring is down because the goaltenders are more athletic, not because the gear is too big.

If the NHL decides to downsize the gear, they can go ahead and get rid of the rediculous robo cop elbow pads & shoulder pads the players wear as well as getting rid of the composite sticks.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:07 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I wonder what Snow has to say on this topic? After all he was a leader in "padding" his stats. I know Garth, those shoulder pads were a fashion statement. Hah!

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I'm all for smaller pads, love me some high scoring games.
I don't care about scoring, to be honest. I just want the effectiveness of goalies to tip back to the side of athleticism and skill, where as now I think it's leaning more towards "letting the puck hit you".

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:56 AM
TheBigBadCat

Lundqvist pads are up to his neck

TheBigBadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:31 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

So Zdeno Chara/Sheldon Souray/etc. can shoot a puck at 100+ mph, yet we want to decrease pad size? :worry:

More goals =/= Exciting games
More scoring chances = Exciting games

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote