HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I agree that he could be that missing piece; but have a hard time seeing Calgary playing ball with us.

But if Iginla is tradable then Alfredsson can't be considered untouchable, especially considering Ottawa's situation right now... and he wouldn't cost us what Iginla would.

I honestly can't see him NOT retiring a Senator but a chance to play with the Sedins and be on a cup contender might be a move he'd consider.
I agree that it is highly unlikely...but I'd take Alfie in a NY minute...if the price was right.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Brenton Williams

Iginla looks pretty good to me.

8 pts in 11 games, which is better than Henrik's 8 pts in 12 games. 1 more goal as well.

The Flames are scoring 3 GPG so someone in their offense is doing something right.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenton Williams View Post

8 pts in 11 games, which is better than Henrik's 8 pts in 12 games. 1 more goal as well.

The Flames are scoring 3 GPG so someone in their offense is doing something right.
I didn't know this until just browsing Behind the Net this morning, but the Twins are first and second in the league among players with 10 GP in relative Corsi. I find that strange because they haven't been their dominant selves but I guess all the O-zone starts help and they've only been on the ice for 3 GA IIRC.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:

Iggy had 2 points last night in a 7 goal game for the Flames...

In one game Iginla's P/G went from 0.6 to 0.72 and Calgary's GPG went from 2.6 to 3.

We're still early enough in the season where per game stats can change drastically one game to the next.

Iggy had a good game last night, he got 2 assists and was able to find a rookie to fight. The question is can he play like that consistantly at this point in his career.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Iggy had 2 points last night in a 7 goal game for the Flames...

In one game Iginla's P/G went from 0.6 to 0.72 and Calgary's GPG went from 2.6 to 3.

We're still early enough in the season where per game stats can change drastically one game to the next.

Iggy had a good game last night, he got 2 assists and was able to find a rookie to fight. The question is can he play like that consistantly at this point in his career.
Well obviously at this age his performance will not match previous outputs, but from watching him playing he still has a lot to contribute.

I just find it irritating when a fan criticizes him for literally smiling after a game. The Flames and him always get bashed around here and they are never as terrible as people say.

People were saying the exact same stuff in 09-10 when Iginla's production dropped. He seemed to fair okay the next year if I recall.

I'm not even a big fan of his or the Flames, although I do have a soft spot for the underdogs. I see a lot of good players on that team that don't get enough credit. Unfortunately their defensive depth and current goaltending situation might cause problems.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
I didn't know this until just browsing Behind the Net this morning, but the Twins are first and second in the league among players with 10 GP in relative Corsi. I find that strange because they haven't been their dominant selves but I guess all the O-zone starts help and they've only been on the ice for 3 GA IIRC.
That's interesting.

They've looked great the last few games, but yeah, you'd figure with the moderate production they wouldn't rank so high.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I agree that it is highly unlikely...but I'd take Alfie in a NY minute...if the price was right.
Is this price right...

Raymond and a 2nd? Add a fourth if Raymond doesn't resign.

We've been burned before with giving up 2nd round picks for rentals; but to have Alfie with the Sedins for a playoff run would be pretty sexy.

We could lose Raymond this summer anyways. Gillis's luck is eventually going to run out on getting hometown discounts.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
I'm not going to re-post my entire write-up on Iginla, but here's a point-form summation:

- Averaging 4 shots a game, which would be the most since he's had since the last time he scored 50 goals.

- ES SH% has dropped in recent years from his career average of about 10% to about 8%, which is still good. His On-Ice SH% is still 10% every year, which is very good. But this year it was dramatically lower, suggesting some bad luck.

- Speaking of luck, before last night his PDO was down around 947...

- He's a career 13-14% shooter and he's shooting barely above 2% right now. Those are Aaron Rome type results

- It's early, but his ES shot distance is much lower than normal -- about 25 feet instead of his usual 33. What this says to me is he's not too slow to get to the good areas of the ice and get shots off, especially playing with guys like Tanguay/Hudler. He'll start to score.

-52% O zone start, 60% finish. Again, early, but suggests his transition game isn't suffering.

Dude is 35. He's not as fast, his defense is mediocre to below average, and he can't play the same physical game he used to, but he's still an offensive force and not incapable of playing at least some sort of two-way game.

The way I see it, he should be playing butter soft minutes with outrageous zone starts on a Sedin-like line (or with the Sedins ) or he should be playing with a really good two-way center like Kesler. Doubt the Canucks could ever pry him out of Calgary, especially because I think the Flames will be the team in the NW that sneaks into the 8th playoff spot once their goaltending is sorted out.

If they falter, he might end up in Pittsburgh though...

Edit: I know people hate the Flames, but why do they hate Iginla? I find it impossible. Guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, loyal to his franchise, and seems like a genuinely nice dude. Not saying people criticizing his play hate him, but a lot of Canucks fans get on the guy for no good reason. Only time I hate him is when he's playing well against the Canucks.

Last edited by Proto: 02-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
The Flames and him always get bashed around here and they are never as terrible as people say.

I'm not even a big fan of his or the Flames, although I do have a soft spot for the underdogs.
Maybe I'm too harsh, but I say **** them. And no, that doesn't mean I hate them only that I could care less about them.

Sympathy? Again, **** them. I have sympathy for a *TRUE* expansion club (eg., the Blue Jackets for example). Calgary inherited a better than .500 club (the Atlanta Flames) that routinely made the playoffs. They didn't have to experience the growing pains of a truly crap team like the Thrashers, Lightning, or even the Sabres (despite them winning the "spin of the wheel" which gave them a pretty big leg up over us).

Jeebus, I actually have more sympathy for Leaf-Fans; having grown up when they had Harold Ballard as an owner. I wouldn't wish that on any rival team - even Calgary.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Exactly. I hope the Flames are just good enough to forever finish ninth. I think Iginla is a fantastic player and even more admirable person, but he plays for a franchise I can't stand.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Dude is 35. He's not as fast, his defense is mediocre to below average, and he can't play the same physical game he used to, but he's still an offensive force and not incapable of playing at least some sort of two-way game.

The way I see it, he should be playing butter soft minutes with outrageous zone starts on a Sedin-like line (or with the Sedins ) or he should be playing with a really good two-way center like Kesler. Doubt the Canucks could ever pry him out of Calgary, especially because I think the Flames will be the team in the NW that sneaks into the 8th playoff spot once their goaltending is sorted out.

If they falter, he might end up in Pittsburgh though...

Edit: I know people hate the Flames, but why do they hate Iginla? I find it impossible. Guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, loyal to his franchise, and seems like a genuinely nice dude. Not saying people criticizing his play hate him, but a lot of Canucks fans get on the guy for no good reason. Only time I hate him is when he's playing well against the Canucks.
That's exactly the way I see Iginla, he's older and slower, which is hampering his ability to be a one man team like he has been for the Flames in the past. He's gonna have games like last night from time to time but they are gonna get less and less frequent. He needs better players to play with for him to continue to put up 1st line Point totals.

I don't hate Iginla, but I do hate how he seems to be insulated from critism and how he's praised for fighting when he's a bigger spot picker than Bieksa.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
That's exactly the way I see Iginla, he's older and slower, which is hampering his ability to be a one man team like he has been for the Flames in the past. He's gonna have games like last night from time to time but they are gonna get less and less frequent. He needs better players to play with for him to continue to put up 1st line Point totals.

I don't hate Iginla, but I do hate how he seems to be insulated from critism and how he's praised for fighting when he's a bigger spot picker than Bieksa.
Disagree with the offensive part. Offensively he's still generating shots from good areas. He can't be the go-to 2-way guy he was, but he can still absolutely put up 1st line point totals. I think he can still be a 40g/75pt threat on the right team.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Gillis should make all of his players wear those cut-resistant socks now. No excuse not to.
And visors too while we're at it.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh

Selanne said he thinks the Kevlar sleeves/socks should be made mandatory. Made his point by running skate blade over it as he wore one.
Teemu is the man.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Teemu is the man.
It's true - it makes absolutely no sense not to wear them.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
PRNuck
Rekt.

Quote:
Teemu is the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefingers View Post
It's true - it makes absolutely no sense not to wear them.
Now I find myself wondering if there's a correlation between career longetivity and ridiculous obsolete dome helmets?

Old
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Teemu is all that is man.

I cannot hate the man despite the fact he slaughters the Canucks and has for the last 15 years.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Teemu is all that is man.

I cannot hate the man despite the fact he slaughters the Canucks and has for the last 15 years.
Pretty much this. Same with Burnaby Joe.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Maybe I'm too harsh, but I say **** them. And no, that doesn't mean I hate them only that I could care less about them.

Sympathy? Again, **** them. I have sympathy for a *TRUE* expansion club (eg., the Blue Jackets for example). Calgary inherited a better than .500 club (the Atlanta Flames) that routinely made the playoffs. They didn't have to experience the growing pains of a truly crap team like the Thrashers, Lightning, or even the Sabres (despite them winning the "spin of the wheel" which gave them a pretty big leg up over us).

Jeebus, I actually have more sympathy for Leaf-Fans; having grown up when they had Harold Ballard as an owner. I wouldn't wish that on any rival team - even Calgary.
My problem is when judgement is driven by obvious bias instead of some type of objective thought. People talk about how awful the Flames are when in reality they've barely missed the playoffs the last few years while being significantly above .500.

Perhaps it's because the Canucks always seem to manhandle them that our fanbase is so critical.

Either way, root against them all you want, but knocking the Flames and Iginla like they're garbage is pretty dumb to read.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

^ Their management is garbage...

Old
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Teemu is the man.
I hate Selanne but it makes it so much harder when he says stuff like this.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
^ Their management is garbage...
Why?

I thought Wideman and Hudler were both solid signings.

I guess you expect Feaster -- who has a ring by the way -- to strip everything down and sell the parts. But there's lots of teams in this league who have been consistently mediocre/terrible with hopes of earning enough great draft picks and all I see them doing year after year is bottom feeding.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to incrementally improving without doing a complete overhaul. That's also what FA is for.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Why?

I thought Wideman and Hudler were both solid signings.

I guess you expect Feaster -- who has a ring by the way -- to strip everything down and sell the parts. But there's lots of teams in this league who have been consistently mediocre/terrible with hopes of earning enough great draft picks and all I see them doing year after year is bottom feeding.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to incrementally improving without doing a complete overhaul. That's also what FA is for.
It's really hard for teams to build through FA with poor drafting and trading.

Calgary has been limping along for too long now and their fans deserve much better.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:25 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Selanne will always be the man..

Old
02-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Brenton Williams

Quote:
It's really hard for teams to build through FA with poor drafting and trading.

Calgary has been limping along for too long now and their fans deserve much better.
Well, I guess it's a difference in perspective.

Calgary has averaged over 90 pts and around 40 wins the last 3 seasons, which certainly isn't the typical profile of a team that 'limps' along.

Of course they could trade their best players and start losing, maybe start winning 25-30 games and earning 65-80 pts.

Then they could join the likes of Columbus, Winnipeg, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton and Long Island. Ask their fans how those 'rebuilds' are going.

My point is that it's tough to be a great team in this league, and tearing everything down doesn't guarantee anything. Calgary is a good team that may be missing a player or two, but perhaps the GM and fans believe they're entertaining enough the way they area, and that they have the capabilities to win without trading all the players on their team that put the fans in their seat.

Could be wrong, could be right, but I certainly don't think the management has done a atrocious job if their job is trying to be successful as possible with the resources they have.

not every rebuild turns into the Blackhawks.

Closed Thread