HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst GM in the League?

Old
02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Tambellini gets mocked for losing.

Feaster gets mocked for not losing enough.

/hfboards
Pretty much. Herpin' and a derpin' for nine pages.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
MessierII

vCash: 500
It's hilarious that people say tambilini has done nothing but draft 1st overall. Literally 4 players remain on the roster from when he arrived. Check July 1sts and trade deadlines the past few years Tambi has been one of the most active gm's in the league. Personally I'm not sold on him but I'm judging him on this year and next.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:31 AM
Qvist

I'm not a big fan of Bob Murray. Since Burke left, the Ducks seem back to their traditional lack of definition and stability - unbalanced, inconsistent teams.

Garth Snow has a tough job, but it's still hard to argue that he's done well.

Then there's Washington. The troubles there are beginning to look systemic. If so, that, despite the fantastic drafting, points the finger at McPhee.

Tambellini? He has assembled the best young core seen in the NHL since Pittsburgh added Malkin and Crosby to Fleury. He might look pretty good in 2-3 years, if he manages to stick around for the ascent.

There's a group of GMs who are really hard to assess despite bad results, because they are operating under heavy constraints. I'm thinking particularly of Greg Sherman and Joe Nieuwendyk, who both have to deal with sharp limitations in spending and (at least in NOeuwendyk's case) long term insecurities that simply take away many options.

With Feaster, it is somewhat a question of how much you think the no-rebuild approach is his call. If that is an option denied him, then he's not doing too badly trying to cope with the resulting mess. At least he's a considerable improvement on Sutter.

Last edited by Qvist: 02-17-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:47 AM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Hardly anyone is blaming him for the decision to re-build. Almsot everyone seems to think that he is laughably bad at re-building though.
What moves would you have made that would have the Oilers icing a better line up than they are now?

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:49 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I'm not hearing a lot of McPhee here lol. At least Jay Feaster is capable of drafting talent in the lower league of the draft.
If there's one thing you can't fault McPhee for, it's drafting. I would say no team has drafted as consistently well in the inter-lockout period as the Caps.

In any case, you have to go back to 2008 to find a Flames selection taken below the 1st round that with even a single NHL game to his credit. And by the way, as GM in Tampa Feaster didn't draft a single player below the third round with as much as 200 NHL games to his credit.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:55 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Jay Feaster and Garth Snow (A.K.A: Wang) have slaughtered their teams. Snow/Wang takes the cake for me though. Trading a pick to cheat the cap, that is brutal.

RealisticLeaf55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:58 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
A team can rebuild without being THAT bad. Many other teams have.
Absolutely.

Hell, the Rangers did that.

Teams change personnel all the time while maintaining some semblance of decent play. The GM just has to be smart and make the right moves at the right time.

02-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Thunderhead

Lou Lamoriello hands down.

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:05 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Lou Lamoriello hands down.
I hate the Devils and hope they fail miserably every year.

That being said, I could not bring myself to say anything as far off and straight bizarre as this.

The Devils have been one of the most consistent teams in the NHL under his tenure. He's built 3 Stanley Cup winning teams, was a part of drafting arguably the greatest goaltender of all time, consistenly made the playoffs...it pains me to talk up a part of the Devils organization, but it's all true.

You could argue that he might be slipping a bit, but he is FAR from the worst in the league.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote