Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Aliu

Old
02-13-2013, 10:56 PM
stingo

vCash: 500
Aliu

Any reason why Aliu is not playing? I've been following him since he was drafted by the Hawks, and was happy to see him play a couple pro games last season. If I remember right he had a goal, and didn't look out of place at all in the Flames line-up.

So, why isn't he playing?

I searched, but didn't find any answers. Sorry if it's been addressed.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
He struggled a bit on the Heat this year (like many players there) and given it was short camp he wasn't invited.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:02 PM
stingo

That's a bummer. I think he would bring a type of game that's not in the Flames line-up right now.

I'll watch next year

Thanks for the answer.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
That's a bummer. I think he would bring a type of game that's not in the Flames line-up right now.

I'll watch next year

Thanks for the answer.
No problem I personally would prefer him over Jackman but it is what it is.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:57 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
I know "Hudlinator" disagrees with me on this one, but Aliu is simply not an NHL calibre player in my opinion. He plays the game as if he is a point producer, but is simply to inconsistent and not skilled enough to have that type of success. If he fully committed himself to becoming a fourth line grinder and toned down his discipline problems then I could see a future for him in some capacity.

He has the physical tools to succeed (and is relatively skilled when he wants to be it seems) but lacks the mental fortitude to take that next step. These have been issues with his game since junior, and they have yet to be rectified.

At this point I have a hard time seeing him getting an NHL contract with the Flames moving forward.

HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I know "Hudlinator" disagrees with me on this one, but Aliu is simply not an NHL calibre player in my opinion. He plays the game as if he is a point producer, but is simply to inconsistent and not skilled enough to have that type of success. If he fully committed himself to becoming a fourth line grinder and toned down his discipline problems then I could see a future for him in some capacity.

He has the physical tools to succeed (and is relatively skilled when he wants to be it seems) but lacks the mental fortitude to take that next step. These have been issues with his game since junior, and they have yet to be rectified.

At this point I have a hard time seeing him getting an NHL contract with the Flames moving forward.
This.
A thousand times over. This team's chocked full of 3rd/4th line depth in our system to boot. If this kid put it all together, he could definitely be a solid contributor on the third/fourth line in Calgary some day. The likeliness of this happening, however, is doubtful.

I wouldn't expect him in a Flames jersey again for a while.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
So, why isn't he playing?
Quite simply put, he isn't good enough. If he can get his game together, then it's only a matter of time before he gets called up.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:

I'll watch next year

Thanks for the answer.
He can't even stick in the Abbotsford lineup, he is simply not good enough. He has just recently started playing with a chip on his shoulder, until he can do that consistently in the AHL he doesn't deserve another try at the NHL.

And next year you will have to watch another team, the odds of Aliu returning to the Flames organization on anything that a straight AHL contract are very slim.

Abbotsford Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Zoombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No problem I personally would prefer him over Jackman but it is what it is.
Blasphemy.

(pic related)

Last edited by Zoombie: 02-14-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: xx
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

I've always thought Aliu would be one of those guys who would actually do worse in the AHL than in the NHL.

I hope he's still with the organization next year - at the very least, has a chance to participate in training camp and given an opportunity to make the team. Can't be worse to have around than Comeau.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I've always thought Aliu would be one of those guys who would actually do worse in the AHL than in the NHL.

I hope he's still with the organization next year - at the very least, has a chance to participate in training camp and given an opportunity to make the team. Can't be worse to have around than Comeau.
I agree... I don't give 2 ****s what he does in Abbotsford. All I remember is how he played when he was called up last season. Give this guy a chance because we need that element he brings, badly.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
FlamesFinnishStarter
Fin Goalie Factory

Quote:

As much as I absolutely despise Comeau 5 on 5, he is decent on our PK, and when our PK is so bad to begin with I wouldn't mind him playing only PK minutes lol, Double shift Iginla or something and have Comeau there for PK.... Or don't have him at all and give kids a shot.. Second thought, I like the latter.

FlamesFinnishStarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:00 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
You can't play Aliu because other guys have earned it more. I will admit, however, I really liked what I saw from him last year

Last edited by MarkGio: 02-14-2013 at 02:54 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You can't play Aliu because otehr guys have earned it more. I will admit, however, I really liked what I saw from him last year
He also was high on emotion in 2 games that didn't matter. This is a guy that can't even stay in the lineup in Abbotsford, it's not that he is struggling, its that he is such a liability that he can't stay in the lineup on a regular basis.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
He also was high on emotion in 2 games that didn't matter. This is a guy that can't even stay in the lineup in Abbotsford, it's not that he is struggling, its that he is such a liability that he can't stay in the lineup on a regular basis.
When he came up to Calgary here the media (The articles I read in the Calgary Herald anyway) made him sound like Ward's successful reclamation project - new haircut, attitude, the whole deal. Was that ever accurate? And are the Flames that short of NHL ready players in Abbotsford that players like Aliu have to be the callups?

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I think he'll be on the 4th line come deadline/next season. Along with Bouma.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
When he came up to Calgary here the media (The articles I read in the Calgary Herald anyway) made him sound like Ward's successful reclamation project - new haircut, attitude, the whole deal. Was that ever accurate? And are the Flames that short of NHL ready players in Abbotsford that players like Aliu have to be the callups?
No. No one like Aliu that is close, that includes Aliu himself.

The best option is to acquire a pain in the ass forward via trade. Zac Rinaldo is a guy I would target, he doesn't have the size but he throws his body around alot, he gets under the opponents skin and he would instantly become the Flames best fighter.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
No. No one like Aliu that is close, that includes Aliu himself.

The best option is to acquire a pain in the ass forward via trade. Zac Rinaldo is a guy I would target, he doesn't have the size but he throws his body around alot, he gets under the opponents skin and he would instantly become the Flames best fighter.
Then what is the general assessment among Abbotsford fans of how Ward is doing? Here in Calgary the media seems to think he's doing a good job. Or is the lack of NHL ready prospects and players more of a systematic issue beyond Aliu and his story?

Old
02-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Then what is the general assessment among Abbotsford fans of how Ward is doing? Here in Calgary the media seems to think he's doing a good job. Or is the lack of NHL ready prospects and players more of a systematic issue beyond Aliu and his story?
The lack of NHL ready prospects is because the Flames drafting has only been good in the past 2-3 years an the payers that are ready or close to ready are in positions the Flames already have depth (the wings and blueline), it in no way is a reflection of Ward.

My thoughts on the prospects in Abbotsford.
  • Reinhart - He is already an excellent defensive forward and PKer in Abby. His offensive game is coming around since he is getting more ice-time in offensive roles. He should be ready for at least spot duty in the NHL next season.
  • Horak - Is a better winger than center, we all know what he brings to the table and that he is NHL ready but the winger depth has kept him in the AHL.
  • Byron - He is a small but feisty player, he plays much bigger than he is. His size will stop him from being a center in the NHL so he is better suited for the wing, and like Horak the winger depth is keeping him off the team.
  • Street - Solid 2way center that has been Abbotsford's best player since his acquisition. He is like a poor man's Langkow but can win faceoffs. If he was given more than 2 games I believe he would have shown he was ready.
  • Breen - He is a big, strong defenseman who has started bringing more of a physical element to his game this year. He skates well and I believe he is ready for NHL duty, but the depth on the blueline keeps him in Abbotsford.
  • Nemisz - He has improved his play along the boards and is creating alot of space for Reinhart recently. The points haven't been there and his skating is suspect but he his play is better than the stats indicate. He has already shown he can handle NHL play.
  • Bouma - We all know about him already, he is NHL ready and would be there instead of Begin if he hadn't gotten injured.
  • Howse - He has had some fitness issues but has played himself into the lineup on a fairly regular basis. His scoring has not translated to the pro game but he is working hard at becoming a more physical and defensively sound player. He is still a long shot to crack the big club.
  • Lamb - He struggled to start the year while adjusting the the pro game, but his defensive play is much improved and he is starting to put up the occasional point now. Despite his improvements I do not see him being re-signed with the possibility of Ramage, Wotherspoon & Culkin making the jump next season.
  • Aliu - I have made my thoughts pretty clear.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
The lack of NHL ready prospects is because the Flames drafting has only been good in the past 2-3 years an the payers that are ready or close to ready are in positions the Flames already have depth (the wings and blueline), it in no way is a reflection of Ward.

My thoughts on the prospects in Abbotsford.
  • Reinhart - He is already an excellent defensive forward and PKer in Abby. His offensive game is coming around since he is getting more ice-time in offensive roles. He should be ready for at least spot duty in the NHL next season.
  • Horak - Is a better winger than center, we all know what he brings to the table and that he is NHL ready but the winger depth has kept him in the AHL.
  • Byron - He is a small but feisty player, he plays much bigger than he is. His size will stop him from being a center in the NHL so he is better suited for the wing, and like Horak the winger depth is keeping him off the team.
  • Street - Solid 2way center that has been Abbotsford's best player since his acquisition. He is like a poor man's Langkow but can win faceoffs. If he was given more than 2 games I believe he would have shown he was ready.
  • Breen - He is a big, strong defenseman who has started bringing more of a physical element to his game this year. He skates well and I believe he is ready for NHL duty, but the depth on the blueline keeps him in Abbotsford.
  • Nemisz - He has improved his play along the boards and is creating alot of space for Reinhart recently. The points haven't been there and his skating is suspect but he his play is better than the stats indicate. He has already shown he can handle NHL play.
  • Bouma - We all know about him already, he is NHL ready and would be there instead of Begin if he hadn't gotten injured.
  • Howse - He has had some fitness issues but has played himself into the lineup on a fairly regular basis. His scoring has not translated to the pro game but he is working hard at becoming a more physical and defensively sound player. He is still a long shot to crack the big club.
  • Lamb - He struggled to start the year while adjusting the the pro game, but his defensive play is much improved and he is starting to put up the occasional point now. Despite his improvements I do not see him being re-signed with the possibility of Ramage, Wotherspoon & Culkin making the jump next season.
  • Aliu - I have made my thoughts pretty clear.
Thanks! I appreciate this.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate this.
I think next year and the following few (and hopefully more!!) will see an influx of more talented and NHL ready players join the Heat. Assuming no one leaves college early this is when guys will be able to join the Heat.

2013-14:
Goaltenders - Laurent Brossoit, Joni Ortio
Defensemen - Tyler Wotherspoon, John Ramage, Ryan Culkin
Forwards - Markus Granlund, Turner Elson

2014-15:
Defensemen - Patrick Seiloff, Brett Kulak
Forwards - Bill Arnold, Coda Gordon
*plus any 1994 born 2013 draft picks

2015-16:
Forwards - Johnny Gaudreau
*plus any 1995 born draft picks from the 2013 or 2014 drafts

2016-17:
Goaltenders - Jon Gillies
Forwards - Mark Jankowski, Matt DeBlouw
*plus any 1996 born draft picks from the 2014 or 2015 drafts

Old
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
BVicious

Quote:
He can't even stick in the Abbotsford lineup, he is simply not good enough. He has just recently started playing with a chip on his shoulder, until he can do that consistently in the AHL he doesn't deserve another try at the NHL.

And next year you will have to watch another team, the odds of Aliu returning to the Flames organization on anything that a straight AHL contract are very slim.
Yea kind of like Leland Irving or whatever his name is. He was barely in the Heat line up. Not even on the bench he was that bad.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Yea kind of like Leland Irving or whatever his name is. He was barely in the Heat line up. Not even on the bench he was that bad.
The situations aren't even comparable. Not only was Irving expected to be the backup goaltender going into the season, It has been said by Irving and Singlet that Irving wasn't in Abbotsford to play alot.

Aliu on the other hand was not expected to make the Flames by anyone that saw him play more often than his 2 NHL games. And obviously Calgary feels the same if he never got an invite to camp.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:38 PM
BVicious

Quote:
The situations aren't even comparable. Not only was Irving expected to be the backup goaltender going into the season, It has been said by Irving and Singlet that Irving wasn't in Abbotsford to play alot.

Aliu on the other hand was not expected to make the Flames by anyone that saw him play more often than his 2 NHL games. And obviously Calgary feels the same if he never got an invite to camp.
Obviously this true. Aliu's stats when he got called up were awful. And he isn't what Calgary needs on the 4th line in a year or two when Jackman/Comeau/Begin is gone.

BVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

I agree 100%.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote